AuthorTopic: The Amish Horse-Drawn Buggy Is More Tech-Forward Than You Think  (Read 1086 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Amish Horse-Drawn Buggy Is More Tech-Forward Than You Think
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »
If we didn't use money, we would, in our avarice, hoard all the food, or whatever else was the means of storing and accumulating value.  JC was speaking to our intent, not to the physical object.

No we would not.

I refer you to the Potlatch Culture of the tribes of the Pacific Northwest & Alaska, prior to the invasion and genocide by the Europeans.

RE
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:45:28 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »
Gotta throw in another relevant quote:

"They that desire to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men's souls in destruction and perdition."

(Totally from memory so I hope I didn't bugger it up too much...)
--Greg

Another favorite here  :icon_sunny:

It would be easier for a Camel to pass through the Eye of a Needle than for a Rich Man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »
Gotta throw in another relevant quote:

"They that desire to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men's souls in destruction and perdition."

(Totally from memory so I hope I didn't bugger it up too much...)
--Greg

Another favorite here  :icon_sunny:

It would be easier for a Camel to pass through the Eye of a Needle than for a Rich Man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

RE

Yes indeed, Heaven is for the poor. The Food stamp Welfare crowd moochers and illegals coming in to game the system.

All one need do is show his Snap card, an empty can of beer, or a few lottery scratch tickets that were losers to St Peter to enter the Pearly Gates.

Yes indeed, Lefty Heaven, No Rich Fucks Allowed.  :icon_sunny:

Offline Farmer McGregor

• Bussing Staff
  • Microfarmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »
Money: The ROOT of all EVIL  :evil4:

RE
Can't leave this one alone, RE.
The great one you are (mis)quoting actually said that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
Money is just a medium of exchange, neutral and physically innocuous.
It's the damn greedy humans that screw it all up.  That's why he said it the way he did.

I like this from JDWheeler:
3.  Do not use more energy over the course of a year than can be collected during the year.
Not to be interpreted too strictly; for example, if you have a four-year coppice wood rotation, then you only collect 4-year-old stems, never dip into the 3-year-old ones.

As a corollary to this, or perhaps an Ordnung rule in itself: No resource or potential resource shall be allowed to go to waste, but where possible shall be used to fullest potential.  For example, anything edible by man, beast or bug shall be fed to the appropriate entity or as a last resort shall be composted.  Additionally, all bodily wastes from said men or beasts shall be composted or otherwise used to maximize soil fertility.

I suggest this as a possible corollary to JDW's #3 above since this is very much an energy issue.  All foods are "food" precisely because they embody the solar energy that was used to produce them (through plant photosynthesis, whether that food be a plant product, or the product of an animal that ate plants or ate other creatures that ate plants, and so on).  All foods starts with plants, including phytoplankton and algae, the base of the ocean food chain, and grasses, which are a critical part of the food chain for us beef and cheese eaters.

That embodied solar energy persists through many generations of eaters as our wastes (as well as our ultimately dead bodies), and those of our livestock, are happily consumed by various critters, insects, worms, bacteria and fungi, etc. (each harvesting what energy it can by further breaking down the complex carbohydrates produced during photosynthesis) until the last carbon bonds are broken and all that remains are the humic substances that enrich the soil to produce new plants. lt is entirely an energy economy.  Solar energy, that is.

It is foolish for us to not utilize every available bit of that energy as best we can, ultimately putting what remains back into the soil to be cycled back to us again by the action of water and sunlight.

--Greg
For years we have let ourselves believe that as long as we have money we will have food. This is a mistake. The government will bring forth no food by providing hundreds of billions of dollars to the agribusiness industry.  --Wendell Berry after the 2008 crash

Offline Farmer McGregor

• Bussing Staff
  • Microfarmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »
Money: The ROOT of all EVIL  :evil4:

RE
Can't leave this one alone, RE.
The great one you are (mis)quoting actually said that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.
Money is just a medium of exchange, neutral and physically innocuous.
It's the damn greedy humans that screw it all up.  That's why he said what he did.

For years we have let ourselves believe that as long as we have money we will have food. This is a mistake. The government will bring forth no food by providing hundreds of billions of dollars to the agribusiness industry.  --Wendell Berry after the 2008 crash

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 02:23:32 AM »

I have been over this a million times.  First off, I'm not quoting.  Second, this is a distinction without a difference.  Money is NOT neutral if one person has the power to create it and another does not.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN