AuthorTopic: BOTS  (Read 9935 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BOTS - tiny spies
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »

Tiny Spies: This Insect-Like Flying Robot is Smaller Than a Penny
Thanks to its four tiny wings, the robot can adjust both altitude and orientation.
Victor Tangermann
May 15th 2019
Tiny Dancer

A team of engineers from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles built a four-winged flying robot called Bee+, which weighs just 95 grams and sports a footprint smaller than a penny.

Harvard researchers built another tiny flying robot, called RoboBee, in 2013. It weighed only 75 grams.

But RoboBee featured just two wings, which made its flight far erratic and uncontrolled. Four wings gives Bee+ a way to control pitch and its orientation in space.

https://futurism.com/tiny-insect-drone-robot-four-wings

75 mg.

75 grams would be the same as two ounces of weed plus a few joints.

Get to know your metric system.  It is your friend.

Stellar Analogy  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BOTS
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »

May 9, 2019
Source:
    Purdue University
Summary:
    Researchers have engineered flying robots that behave like hummingbirds, trained by machine learning algorithms based on various techniques the bird uses naturally every day.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190509125135.htm
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIHXLVr44Nw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gIHXLVr44Nw&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - Self Drive Truck & Bot Dispatch = NO HOMO SAP involvement OMFG !
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »

This week, two companies say that their technologies were able to work together successfully broker and transport a load without any human help.

On Thursday, July 8, Starsky Robotics and Loadsmart issued an announcement about the trucking industry’s first autonomous dispatch and delivery.

The companies say that this “marks the first time an autonomous company and a digital broker have collaborated to price, book and load a shipment without any human involvement.”

The companies say that “they were able to automatically dispatch an autonomous truck to haul freight; having successfully priced, tendered and booked via Loadsmart and then picked up and delivered the shipment using Starsky’s self-driving technology. The integration of Loadsmart’s AI-powered pricing and load matching technology with Starsky’s API meant no human intervention was required.”

Stefan Seltz-Axmacher, CEO and founder of Starsky Robotics said, “It’s not uncommon for a traditional trucking company to have 5 full-time employees involved in dispatching each truck for each load. By integrating e-brokers like Loadsmart, we are eliminating all back office human intervention and making the shipment process seamless, while focusing on ensuring the safety of driverless trucks. With Starsky’s Hutch API, which was also announced today, we will be able to autonomously dispatch autonomous loads on a regular basis.”

https://cdllife.com/2019/a-robot-dispatcher-and-a-self-driving-truck-just-sent-a-load-without-any-human-involvement/?fbclid=IwAR1I68iyDdLjp38Aq4u0etoDY0qpcK5KGHIqte__DhY2RGr5CerkGZRGlf8

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BOTS (you can't make this stuff up)
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »

Kyoto temple enlists Android Buddhist deity to help people

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wr32JoO31u0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wr32JoO31u0&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - WalMarts Robot Army HAS ARRIVED
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

Fast Company
BY KATHARINE SCHWAB4 MINUTE READ

As robots start to move into more public places, like streets and stores, the people who encounter them won’t have any kind of instruction manual on how to engage with them. One of the main places this is happening? The aisles of your local Walmart.

For years, Walmart has been automating its warehouses with robots that can pack and sort items as they zoom along conveyor belts. But the company has also slowly been rolling out robots that roam around store aisles alongside customers, launching in 50 stores in 2017 and rolling out to 350 in 2019. These bots are designed to scan shelves looking for items that are out of stock, eliminating a time-intensive chore that human workers no longer have to do—though workers still have to refill the shelves when the robot finds a missing product.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90395843/walmarts-robot-army-has-arrived

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »

The rise of killer robots is now unstoppable and a new digital Geneva Convention is essential to protect the world from the growing threat they pose, according to the President of the world’s biggest technology company.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Brad Smith, president of Microsoft, said the use of ‘lethal autonomous weapon systems’ poses a host of new ethical questions which need to be considered by governments as a matter of urgency.

He said the rapidly advancing technology, in which flying, swimming or walking drones can be equipped with lethal weapons systems – missiles, bombs or guns – which could be programmed to operate entirely or partially autonomously, “ultimately will spread… to many countries”.

The US, China, Israel, South Korea, Russia and the UK are all developing weapon systems with a significant degree of autonomy in the critical functions of selecting and attacking targets.

The technology is a growing focus for many militaries because replacing troops with machines can make the decision to go to war easier.

But it remains unclear who is responsible for deaths or injuries caused by a machine – the developer, manufacturer, commander or the device itself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/09/21/microsoft-chief-brad-smith-says-rise-killer-robots-unstoppable/

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Rise Of Robots Is Crippling Jobs In The Already Recessionary Auto Industry
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »

The Rise Of Robots Is Crippling Jobs In The Already Recessionary Auto Industry

By Tyler Durden

It’s no longer a question of “if” we’re going to all eventually be replaced with robot overlords in the workplace, it’s a question of “when”.

The nuances of how this is going to occur – like which industries are likely to see to the most disruption from automation – were the topic of a new study published by St. Louis Fed Economist Maximiliano Dvorkin and Research Associate Asha Bharadwaj.

The authors found that there has been predominantly a decline in U.S. “middle-skill” occupations as a result of automation. This was despite growth in both high- and low-skill occupations occurring at the same time.

According to the authors, this job polarization is a result of “automation and offshoring, because both these forces lower the demand for middle-skill occupations relative to the rest.”

In the study, the authors looked at two types of work:

Whether jobs involve routine tasks or nonroutine tasks
    Whether jobs use mostly cognitive skills or manual skills (brain vs. brawn)

They also looked at how the state of employment has changed across these four categories:

Nonroutine cognitive, which includes management, professional and related occupations
    Nonroutine manual, which includes service occupations related to assisting or caring for others, such as health care support, food preparation and serving, and cleaning
    Routine cognitive, which includes sales and office occupations
    Routine manual, which includes construction, transportation, production and repair occupations

The study found that “employment in nonroutine occupations, both cognitive and manual, has been increasing steadily for several decades, while employment in routine occupations has been mostly stagnant or even declining.”

https://www.activistpost.com/2019/11/the-rise-of-robots-is-crippling-jobs-in-the-already-recessionary-auto-industry.html

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2019, 01:57:19 PM »

China is exporting unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) to the Middle East which are capable of launching autonomous attacks.

That’s according to the Pentagon’s top leader, US defense secretary Mark Esper, who gave a speech about artificial intelligence at the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence public conference on 5 November.

Esper warns that the spread of Chinese UAVs is dangerous because the country has no military ethical guidelines to restrict the use of autonomy or AI in combat. He adds that the technology could be sold to autocratic governments and used to suppress their people.

China is developing autonomous UAVs as part of an effort to militarily surpass the USA and its allies, says Esper. AI could make autonomous UAVs cheaper and more lethal, he adds.

“Beijing has made it abundantly clear that it intends to be the world leader in AI by 2030,” he says. “While the US faces a mighty task in transitioning the world’s most advanced military to new AI enabled systems, China believes it can leapfrog our current technology and go straight to the next generation.”

China has already started selling autonomous UAVs to foreign militaries, says Esper.

“As we speak the Chinese government is already exporting some of the most advanced military aerial drones to the Middle East, as it prepares to export its next generation stealth UAVs when those come online,” says Esper. “In addition, Chinese weapons manufacturers are selling drones advertised as capable for autonomy, including the ability to conduct lethal targeted strikes.”

It is not clear what UAV Esper is talking about, though media reports have highlighted the Ziyan Blowfish A2, a small helicopter UAV that its manufacturer claims can perform autonomous targeted strikes. The UAV can carry a 12kg (26.5lb) payload, such as an AK-47 automatic rifle or several mortar-sized munitions, and has been sold to the United Arab Emirates, according to a report by Agence France-Presse.

Esper sought to differentiate the US military from China by saying Washington would develop a set of military ethics guidelines, while still seeking funds from the US Congress to advance the use of AI.

“We will harness the potential of AI to create a force fit for our time. We believe there’s tremendous opportunity to enhance a wide range of the departments capabilities, from the back office to the front line,” he says. “And we will do this while being recognized as the world leader in military ethics, by developing principals for using AI in a lawful and ethical manner.”

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dod-warns-china-exporting-killer-autonomous-drones-462041/

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS go to WAR
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »

500+ combat robots set to strengthen Indian Army defenses in Kashmir – media

https://www.rt.com/news/473400-indian-army-kashmir-robots/

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - Crowd Brings Down Cop Drone w/Laser pointers
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2019, 05:04:56 PM »

Chile Protesters Kill a Police Drone Using Hundreds of Laser Pointers

NOV 15, 2019

A police drone was disabled and fell to the ground after hundreds of protesters aimed their laser pointers at it.

ELIAS MARAT

(TMU) — As the people of Chile enter the second month of massive protests against the neoliberal government of President Sebastian Piñera, clashes have continued unabated between demonstrators and the militarized security forces of the South American state.

The protests, which began October 14 as a response to rising public transit costs, have quickly become radicalized as social movements, students, workers’ unions, and a vast cross-section of Chilean society have focused their anger on high levels of inequality in the country, rising living costs, and a constitution inherited from the 1973-1990 dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.

https://themindunleashed.com/2019/11/chile-protesters-kill-police-drone-laser-pointers.html

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - Deutsche Bank to Replace 18k Homo Sushi w/BOTS
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »

Deutsche Bank plans 18,000 jobs cuts in robot strategy called “Operations 4.0”.

Operations 4.0 Underway

Deutsche Bank says Operations 4.0 is already underway.

The plan is to Replace 18,000 Jobs With Robots.

Mark Matthews, head of operations for Deutsche’s corporate and investment bank, told Financial News that machine learning algorithms “massively increased productivity” and “redistribute capacity.”

The London-based news organization said that Deutsche is pushing to “automate large parts of its back-office” via a new strategy called “Operations 4.0,” as part of its $6.6 billion savings initiative over the next three years.

Matthews told FN that the machine learning tools helped to save “680,000 hours of manual work” and that it “so far used bots to process 5 million transactions in its corporate bank and perform 3.4 million checks within its investment bank.”

In what insiders called a surprising move, the bank this summer said it will keep the bulk of its equity research department despite eliminating the bulk of its stocks sales and trading division.

Why stop at 18,000? Please consider my 8 step proposal to get rid of everybody.

Just Fire Everybody

Who needs proprietary equity traders? Fire them all. Machines do all the trading anyway.
    Who needs stock analysts? Let computers determine the “Strong Buys”.
    Who needs credit analysts? Computers already do the scoring.
    Derivatives? What a mess. Unwind them all and stay away. Fire everyone involved.
    Real Estate Appraisals? That’s what Zillow’s for.
    Credit cards processing? Outsource 100% of it.
    Statement processing? Outsource that too.
    Loans? Let computers decide which loans to make. Then keep none of them. Instead, securitize 100% of them.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/deutsche-bank-replacing-18000-jobs-with-ai-machine-learning-fn-report-2019-11-1028696144

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - Could Affect “Virtually Every Occupational Group”
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »

By B.N. Frank

Most disruption predicted in San Jose, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Boulder, Detroit, Huntsville, Louisville, and more…

82% of Americans think Artificial Intelligence (AI) is more harmful than helpful.  Reports indicate there are many good reasons for this and it’s not just about massive job loss (see 1, 2, 3).

Proponents insist we’ll all be okay though – we just need UBI (Universal Basic Income).  $1000/month might be okay for some, but not everyone could live off that.  For those who manage to keep their jobs – they’ll still be more “exposed” to AI.  They also may be forced to “merge” with it.  Oh the humanity – or inhumanity.

From Brookings:

https://www.activistpost.com/2019/11/study-artificial-intelligence-could-affect-virtually-every-occupational-group.html

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
BOTS - AI judges and verdicts via chat app
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

Artificial-intelligence judges, cyber-courts, and verdicts delivered on chat apps — welcome to China’s brave new world of justice spotlighted by authorities this week.

China is encouraging digitisation to streamline case-handling within its sprawling court system using cyberspace and technologies like blockchain and cloud computing, China’s Supreme People’s Court said in a policy paper.

The efforts include a “mobile court” offered on popular social media platform WeChat that has already handled more than three million legal cases or other judicial procedures since its launch in March, according to the Supreme People’s Court.

The paper was released this week as judicial authorities gave journalists a glimpse inside a “cyber court” — the country’s first — established in 2017 in the eastern city of Hangzhou to deal with legal disputes that have a digital aspect.

In a demonstration, authorities showed how the Hangzhou Internet Court operates, featuring an online interface with litigants appearing by video chat as an AI judge — complete with on-screen avatar — prompts them to present their cases.

“Does the defendant have any objection to the nature of the judicial blockchain evidence submitted by the plaintiff?” the black-robed virtual judge sitting under China’s national emblem asked in a pre-trial meeting.

“No objection,” a human plaintiff answered.

https://news.yahoo.com/ai-judges-verdicts-via-chat-app-brave-world-112141380.html