AuthorTopic: Collapse Days of Our Lives  (Read 2597 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Collapse Days of Our Lives
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:39:40 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner on February 5, 2017

Discuss this article at the Anniversary Table Inside the Diner

In my New Year's recap article I covered the recent accomplishments on the Diner in terms of growing the readership base, as well as other notable activities like the SUN Convocation held down in Inman, SC in conjunction with their Harvest Day Festival.

This month marks an even more notable date, it is the 5th Anniversary of the Doomstead Diner Blog & Forum.  Keeping a blog going this long on the topics of collapse and trying to stay fresh with new material every day to read is something of a chore, although for me it has the benefit of keeping me bizzy and keeping my mind active.

Many of the other Bloggers I used to cross post are either not active at all anymore, or they post very rarely.  For instance, the last blog from Tom Lewis of the Daily Impact was in October of 2016.  The last blog Steve Ludlum published on Economic Undertow was a month ago in December 2016 (update: Steve just posted a blog!) and same for Jason Heppenstall of 22 Billion Energy Slaves.  Ugo Bardi of Cassandra's Legacy still publishes regularly at least once a week and so does Albert Bates of Peak Surfer.

I also dropped some folks from the list of those I will cross post, either because of disagreements  with them or simply because their posting has become so repetitive.  The disagreements for the most part come over the question of Near Term Human Extinction, and the degree to which some bloggers have now joined with Guy McPherson of Nature Bats Last on the Hopelessness & Despair Bandwagon.  There also are some bloggers as well as people in the commentariat who have become so obsessed with the Climate aspect of collapse it's all they will talk about to the exclusion of all other areas of collapse we have to deal with, most notably Economics, Energy and Geopolitics.

While the climate issue is no doubt quite bad and getting worse, in reality even with very rapid change accelerating up, it's not the proximal problem we have to face.  Our economic system is so unstable at this point it could literally collapse any day, and the length of time it takes for it to go completely down the toilet could be measured in days or even hours.  While climate may certainly be a more serious problem in 5 or 10 years, it's not that way right now.

Similarly, Geopolitical tensions are at an all time high as Nationalist (Fascist) politicians like Donald Trump, Marine Le Pen, Geert Wilders and Frauke Petry gain further power, and tensions between NATO and Russia and the FSoA and China become more extreme by the day.  A Global Thermonuclear War is not out of the question as starting up any day either, particularly since there are some neo-con jackasses in the FSoA Goobermint who think such a thing is winnable.  If they start pitching out the Nukes, Sea Level Rise is going to be among the last of your worries.

Looked at as a Health problem, it's like having 3 diseases all at the same time, you have a slowly developing cancer tumor, you have pneumonia and you have a faulty valve in your heart.  The cancer will take a while to kill you, but the pneumonia will get you first if you don't get rid of it, and until you get rid of that you can't go in for the heart valve operation you need to keep your ticker working.  Only once the two proximal problems are resolved is the cancer really an issue.

So here on the Diner in my own blogging, I still mainly focus on the Economic issues which are what brought me into blogging collapse in the first place.  Surly mainly focuses on Geopolitical issues, as you can see in his Yearly recap article this year.  We also have other Native Diner Bloggers such as Eddie, Monsta, Palloy, Geoff Chia and K-dog who have their own issues they focus on, from the Stock Market and Investment to Standing Rock, Cyber Security and Tiny Homes.  In fact the one area we do not cover that regularly on the Blog is the Climate issue, because that issue is being beaten to death on so many other blogs.  That is not to say that Climate is not a regular topic for discussion Inside the Diner on the Forum, it most certainly is.

Another issue with respect to Climate Change is really at this point there is not much the individual can do to prevent it.  In fact it is unlikely even entire Goobermints could prevent it at this point, even if they all worked together in concert, and that's not going to happen.  What the individual CAN DO though is to prepare for Climate Change, in general by moving away from neighborhoods most subject to the worst problems like Drought and regular Flooding events in coastal areas coming from the combination of sea level rise and more active and volatile weather systems.  You can also work on becoming more food self sufficient, using techniques like Hydroponics and Aquaculture which are water and fertilizer conservative and more resistant to climate change than typical outdoor agriculture.

If you are a Religious Believer in Near Term Human Extinction, the tendency is toward inaction, because, why bother?  In your mind, EVERYBODY is gonna DIE anyhow, and doing all these things at best only gets you a couple of extra years, and do you want to live when everyone around you is dieing?

First of all, without a Crystal Ball you can't really make an absolute prediction on how long it will take before the climate is so bad everywhere that ZERO Homo Saps can survive on the Planet.  In the super rapid worst case scenarios of positive feedback loops that Guy McPherson pitches out, he's got everybody dead by 2025 now, which is HIGHLY unlikely.  More reasonable fast extinction scenarios are in the 50-100 year range, and if it takes that long and you want to see a few extra sunrises, it's a wise idea to begin planning for this now.

It's also not guaranteed that NOBODY can survive ANYWHERE, even with a Global Average Temperature rise of 10C, which is about as hot as it ever gets on Earth no matter how much CO2 is up in the atmosphere.  In all the prior 5 Extinction Level Events not ALL forms of life were killed off, if they were we would not be here today and I would not be keyboarding out this blog post. lol.  Who is to say that some Homo Sap cannot survive a higher AGT regime, particularly if they move to higher latitudes and altitudes?  Granted, it may not be many, but it's still not extinction until every last member of the species is DEAD.

On other 5 Year Anniversary topics, the Diner has seen many changes and ups and downs over the years, with the first Peak Readership coming in 2014, but now beginning to grow again.  The membership of regular Diners also fluctuates quite a bit, with various Diners taking periodic "Walkabouts" when they get too fed up with other Diners or discussing Collapse on a daily basis gets too depressing for them.  I don't have the luxury of going Walkabout, since besides blogging I do most of the daily management tasks on the Diner and I also pay the Diner bills.  So when I lose patience with other Diners I basically just gotta deal with it, as long as I want to keep this chronicle of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization going anyhow.

Which leads to the question of DO I want to do that?  There have been a couple of times in the last year I really became completely fed up with nonsense being pitched out across the forum pages and the behavior of some Diners.  I ended up Banning a Diner permanently, something I never hoped I would have to do.  I had other Diners I value as friends both in cyberspace and IRL getting pissed off at ME for stuff I said and opinions I hold.  There's a lot of fatigue involved here, and besides that just about everything has been discussed, analyzed and talked to death over a 5 year timespan.  I have 100s of blogs up and detailed my economic theories at great length.  I can usually still find things to write about though, I started a Collapse Novel How I Survived the Collapse as one means to have more to write each week.  Fiction is inexhaustible, as long as you have a decent imagination anyhow.

A couple of months ago after one disagreement I determined that I would close down the Diner Forum on the 5th Anniversary, and just run the Blog to publish the HISC Novel, and maybe any non-fiction of late breaking Collapse Newz that was big enough to merit attention.  These days, there's only around 10-15 regular Diners posting up on the forum and it's never been that huge, even at the peak of Diner Readership in 2014.  Forums appear to have been supplanted by Social Media like Facepalm and Twitshit as the Go-To places for people to chat with friends and not so friends interested in similar topics to themselves.  I don't like either one of those platforms, so I wouldn't switch over to them in any case.

So if I did shut down the forum, I really would not have any place to go chat about collapse and write my own little diary of stuff that happens to me but really isn't worthy of a full blog.  Like my recent problems with my car batteries and with the heat going out in my digs (although that might actually be worthy of a full blog).  For the Diners who still do participate on the forum also, it becomes kind of habitual to see what's up, and we trade Newz Links all the time on the newz channels, although not nearly as much anymore as we used to when we had some prolific Newz Linkers like Knarf, the Buddhist Monk participating.  Still, the newz articles that are dropped on are usually very well selected and not ones I may have run across during my own web surfing time.  So I get additional information and perspectives on collapse this way.

For Newz Links now I also run the r/globalcollapse Sub-Reddit, and I participate regularly on the larger collapse sub, r/collapse.  However, as discussion platforms go, Reddit isn't much better than Facepalm, and it's definitely no substitute for the kind of intelligent and in depth discussion we still occassionally engage in Inside the Diner on the Forum.

So after considering all of this, I changed my mind and I will keep the Diner Forum running along with the Blog.  For the Diners who still do drop in regularly, it's still a great place to catch up on the latest Collapse Events and to do some bickering. lol.

5 Years is a pretty good run for a blog, especially one where you try to have something new up each day and write yourself at least once a week.  In the old days, TV Series used to have an average lifespan of around 3-5 years, although you got a few like Gunsmoke and MASH that ran for 20 years.  On the Daily level, it's more like a Soap Opera, which had to be a real grind for both the writers and the actors.  Days of Our Lives has run continuously nearly every day since 1965!  That's over a half a century!

The Diner of course is unlikely to last 45 more years.  I definitely won't last 45 more years anyhow, and the Internet itself unlikely to last 45 more years.  In the meantime though, Collapse Days of Our Lives is renewed for another season at the URL DoomsteadDiner.net.

The Diner Show Must Go On!

Thanks again to all the Diners who have helped make the Diner what it is…

#1 for Doom on the Net! 🙂

RE Superstar of Doom

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse Days of Our Lives
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »
A couple of months ago after one disagreement I determined that I would close down the Diner Forum on the 5th Anniversary, and just run the Blog to publish the HISC Novel, and maybe any non-fiction of late breaking Collapse Newz that was big enough to merit attention.  These days, there's only around 10-15 regular Diners posting up on the forum and it's never been that huge, even at the peak of Diner Readership in 2014.  Forums appear to have been supplanted by Social Media like Facepalm and Twitshit as the Go-To places for people to chat with friends and not so friends interested in similar topics to themselves.  I don't like either one of those platforms, so I wouldn't switch over to them in any case.

The Forum was ruined by you, not Facebook or Twitter. Your dictatorial censorship and stifling of all thought contrary to you and your goon squad of thought police were the culprits. MKing and Alan, just two examples of many, had ideas you found unpalatable, they didn't fit your agenda.

In your usual insensitivity to members and total lack of objectiveness and usual favoritism you left out current regular members in your sorry rant who post often and are long time contributors, typical. I will be specific, Agelbert, Azozeo, Ka JRM, Lucid, JD, they will of course, because of the gentlemen they are show no sign of being slighted.

As to walkabouts, can only speak for myself. I know what the Diner was when we were free, and know all to well what it has become. We had the best meeting place and forum on the internet. Going to sleep was annoying, as it meant time away from powerful amazing thought provoking discussion. Your ego and the political leanings of your thought police destroyed all of it.                                                                                             Regards, Golden Oxen

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:17:03 AM »

The Forum was ruined by you, not Facebook or Twitter. Your dictatorial censorship and stifling of all thought contrary to you and your goon squad of thought police were the culprits. MKing and Alan, just two examples of many, had ideas you found unpalatable, they didn't fit your agenda.

In your usual insensitivity to members and total lack of objectiveness and usual favoritism you left out current regular members in your sorry rant who post often and are long time contributors, typical. I will be specific, Agelbert, Azozeo, Ka JRM, Lucid, JD, they will of course, because of the gentlemen they are show no sign of being slighted.

As to walkabouts, can only speak for myself. I know what the Diner was when we were free, and know all to well what it has become. We had the best meeting place and forum on the internet. Going to sleep was annoying, as it meant time away from powerful amazing thought provoking discussion. Your ego and the political leanings of your thought police destroyed all of it.                                                                                             Regards, Golden Oxen

Everybody's got a complaint and axe to grind.  ::)

I take full responsibility.  I pay for the damn thing after all.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:57:09 AM »
I don't miss Alan or MKing. I do miss you GO.

Nevertheless, I give RE credit for being the most long-suffering admin of any blog on the net. The complaint about censorship is overblown. Almost anyone you can name in the doom/collapse blogosphere is much more heavy handed in bouncing those who want to give blowback than he is.

People who write blogs tend to have strongly held opinions, which is what moves them to pay for a writing platform on the net where they can express those opinions. Readers have an obligation to give some consideration to the belief system of whatever collapse guru they might like to read and critique with a comment.

The DD forum still has room for dissent, as evidenced by my own continued head-butting with the majority of commenters here on a variety of issues. The difference, I hope, between me and your dearly departed MKing, is that I try to do it while maintaining a little respect for the owner of the roof  I'm taking shelter underneath.

I'm happy to see that we have a couple of great new participants on the forum. I hope we can attract more. The international flavor of recent discussions has been a plus, for me. I'm sorry some of our regulars have gotten frustrated and gone walkabout, but that's the nature of internet forums, and of collapse fatigue, which affects all of us who have been waiting for the other shoe to drop for nearly a decade now.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
I peruse these pages because failure cannot be an option for me and mine.  As a dad with two small kids it is my biological duty to carry them as far forward as possible, even as the ground shifts under our feet.  I'm more interested in the energy, financial, and doomsteading parts of the dinner.  When we die and how we go out holds no interest for me; it can't. I build and tinker and learn from others who do the same . The deeper philosophical parts are lost on me. 
A long winded way of saying thank you for providing the sandbox I'll part my Tonka toys here for a while if that's ok and try not to pee in it.
Happy aniversary
David Baillie
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »
I'd welcome anything you might like to post on the forum or the blog about the systems you've built, David, or ideas you have about future building and tinkering. Such things do interest me a great deal, although I occasionally fall down a rabbit hole trying to examine Life's Big Existential Questions. :)

When I came to DD, I expected there would be a lot more of that. For while, I wrote on those topics myself. My experience has been that there are a lot more armchair experts and pontificators in the blogosphere than builders. The builders are busy doing more, and writing less, although there are some notable exceptions.

Some of our best sources for that kind of thing abandoned the net completely due to concerns about security and privacy. People who have  actually built refuges to hunker down in...some of them are now hunkering down, and want to do so without attracting undue attention. I suppose that is understandable.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »
Another person I miss apart from GO is Uncle Bob. Hopefully he comes back.

I can definitely subscribe to the collapse fatigue. Theory wise I have dropped my load and don't really have much more to say about that. I am a fast collapser who thinks an inflection point will happen that will turn the slow decline we currently experience into something much more dramatic. When that happens is an open question and I don't have a strong answer to that. I will say the unsteady plateau/slow decline has lasted much longer than I had anticipated. I don't believe in a near term human extinction but believe there will be a die off. To what extent? I don't know. All I know is when the collapse begins in earnest i.e. when capitalism fails all bets are off. It is hard to fathom how people will react or behave and what actions will be taken. People will behave irrationally and irrational people can do things that are difficult to predict. Off course with hindsight everyone will say the reactions were perfectly predictable. One can argue that is a weak answer but then the predicting timelines is a notoriously difficult thing to get right.

In short though all we can do is collect data, make sense of it and use that as a marker to predict the future. One thing apart from collapse fatigue is the fact that internet communities seem to be getting increasingly insular. There is a certain spin on each site and for a lot of people they settle on a particular site (and therefore a particular spin) and are less reception to alternative and challenging ideas. This has lead to censorship and I suppose the same could be said to occur on the Diner but as Eddie as already highlighted: find me another website that will tolerate alternative debate to a higher degree than the diner. I don't think you can find such a website. We also got to remember it is often not what you say but how you say it that lands you in trouble. That is true in real life and it is also true with online interactions. 

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
I peruse these pages because failure cannot be an option for me and mine.  As a dad with two small kids it is my biological duty to carry them as far forward as possible, even as the ground shifts under our feet.  I'm more interested in the energy, financial, and doomsteading parts of the dinner.  When we die and how we go out holds no interest for me; it can't. I build and tinker and learn from others who do the same . The deeper philosophical parts are lost on me. 
A long winded way of saying thank you for providing the sandbox I'll part my Tonka toys here for a while if that's ok and try not to pee in it.
Happy aniversary
David Baillie

Two young kids?  Me to, 3 and 6, both boys.  How old are you David?  I'm just curious.  I think Monsta is the youngest Diner, next to me.  I'm 37, but other than you I'm the only Diner with young kids.  At any rate, I hope that you continue posting.  It's awesome to have some new contributors to the forum. 

I don't miss Mking, but I do wish that Ox would get over his distaste for RE and continue contributing.  I always enjoy the pictures that he posts.  I also wish that Uncle Bob would come back.  What did you do to piss him off RE?  I missed it whatever it was. 

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »

In short though all we can do is collect data, make sense of it and use that as a marker to predict the future. One thing apart from collapse fatigue is the fact that internet communities seem to be getting increasingly insular. There is a certain spin on each site and for a lot of people they settle on a particular site (and therefore a particular spin) and are less reception to alternative and challenging ideas. This has lead to censorship and I suppose the same could be said to occur on the Diner but as Eddie as already highlighted: find me another website that will tolerate alternative debate to a higher degree than the diner. I don't think you can find such a website. We also got to remember it is often not what you say but how you say it that lands you in trouble. That is true in real life and it is also true with online interactions.

It's true that RE is pretty tolerant as far as what he allows to go down on the Diner.  I think Ox is being to hard on him on that account. 

I do wonder why forum participation is so low?  I'm glad you decided to keep the forum going RE.  I had no idea you were even considering letting it go.  It's become a pretty big part of my life.  It's pretty much the only place I go to on the net.  I get my news from the Diner.  There are only a few blogs that I follow that aren't already on the Diner.  I follow JHK and JMG.  Other than that it's all Diner all the time for me. 

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
My colapsniks in training are 5 1/2 and 3.  I also look in on the automatic earth but I miss Nicole foss posts.  I saw her speak a few times and she came to a transition meeting we had.  Transition was dissapointing lots of good energy not too many good sets of hands.  One of my favorites is www.driveonwood.com I post there quite a bit.  Mostly about my charcoal powered tractor and atv; what can I say a man needs hobbies.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I do wonder why forum participation is so low?

On this point I tend to agree with RE. I have been a member of other forums and all of them have seen similar declines. You can attribute some of the decline due to the fact forums have a limited active lifetime and this lifespan tends to be around five years. At least that is true unless the forum was really popular to begin with in which case it could last longer. However it does seem that across the board (even outside collapse communities) that forums - as a medium of discussion - is becoming less popular. Social media is the new platform and a larger percentage of people make that as their primary means of obtaining news or engaging in discussion. Personally I do not like it as the platform itself tends to more superficial discussion and you won't find the level of debate as high as you would find on the diner.

Can that be reversed? If I am honest I don't really think so as people these days generally expect things to come more quickly and have more limited attention spans. Who wants to read 20 lines of text and then respond in kind with a similar response? Not many people so forums will take on an increasingly niche role. However the few people that do come will be the ones who seek more comprehensive answers to the question they have. So the hope is there will always be some activity. You also got to remember that you don't need a huge community to have an active forum. A dozen or so active posters is all it takes to have an active forum.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
So I guess the Diner will die with RE then? 

Would you take the torch when RE kicks the bucket Eddie? 

This is something I have not considered before for some reason...the death of the Diner! 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
So I guess the Diner will die with RE then? 

Would you take the torch when RE kicks the bucket Eddie? 

This is something I have not considered before for some reason...the death of the Diner!

For a while I hoped the younger Diners like you and Roamer and WHD and Monsta would keep it going after I cross the Great Divide, but these days I doubt that will happen.  Just have to take it one day at a time.

Far as UB, I think what pissed him off was my criticism of his posting being so sexually obsessed.  He always went on and on about gender issues, about feminism, about rape, etc etc etc.  That's common among shrinks, just look at Sigmund Freud.  Anyhow I nailed UB for this and I think that is what offended him.

I certainly do not miss Moriarty or Alan.  I miss WHD a lot and I miss Nobody.  I miss Knarf.  I miss the old Roamer, not so much the new Roamer that flipped to the Dark Side.

With GO its not the content or what he says that is the problem, it's how he says it.  He's a rude, ill mannered and disrespectful person.  He constantly insulted me (and Surly) and then when I started pointing out how often he would violate the CoC he went walkabout again.  Insults were the big problem with Moriarty as well.

Anyhow, I'm just glad we made it 5 years, and we're still going.  The blog has definitely picked up readers over the last few months, and there are a couple of new Diners too, so I'm pretty happy with it.  Keeps me bizzy anyhow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 01:20:24 AM »
Don't get all sentimental RE. I've been told only the good die young. If true you must have another 30 or 40 years yet.

The blog is good.
Its a place to learn as well as an outlet for concerns we all share about the future.
Its a place to debate important issues, not just what colour shoes celebrities wear.
Its a place to voice concern without fear or (much) ridicule.
Its a place to get other points of view.

For me it has been a place to interact with fellow humans and show what we all have in common despite having different ages, cultures, nationalities, beliefs, egos and personalities.

Everyone has flaws, just some peoples are more obvious than others...

Keep the blog going you cantankerous, crusty old arctic hermit. You and your blog have fans in every continent.

Oh, and I still have to prove you are wrong...

JOW ;D

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
Happy aniversary
David Baillie

Dave,
The deeper philosophy is just the way those unable to handle reality escape.
Try to bring them back down to earth not get flustered by their pretentious vocabulary.

I have children as well, and unfortunately I think collapse is coming whether I want it or not. My responsibility is to keep informed and make sure my kids are too. I am not into guns and spam, so homesteads and gardens are what I am building.

JOW