AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 21006 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
With your spare plastic sheeting, you are now up to 14 years of time before going Extinct.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
Honestly the plastic will do 10 easy.  They recommend changing it at 7 years to maximize the transfer of light for fruiting plants.  Greens and season extention would be unchanged.  14 years is a lot longer then nothing.  It would give me time to practice metalurgical skills or my stone tool making.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »
Cute kids! I remember when my girls were that age. What is the large black pipe running through the bed? Heated water?

I need to put tomatoes int the ground today. I have some I bought that were bucket raised early in the greenhouse. They already have fruit, not ripe of course. 80's F today here. It's so warm now you have to get tomatoes to bloom by late March if you want to grow more than vines.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
Oh the horrors of a hot climate!  The hoops you see in the bed are for a secondary low hoop grow tunnel.  Inside the hoophouse where the wind can't get it it can be fairly flimsy.  Elliot coleman goes one level further and covers the ground in a remay cloth as well.  It's all about maximising heat absorbsion and retention at this time of year. I'll start adding water to the soil when standing water stays liquid overnight.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
Oh the horrors of a hot climate!  The hoops you see in the bed are for a secondary low hoop grow tunnel.  Inside the hoophouse where the wind can't get it it can be fairly flimsy.  Elliot coleman goes one level further and covers the ground in a remay cloth as well.  It's all about maximising heat absorbsion and retention at this time of year. I'll start adding water to the soil when standing water stays liquid overnight.

I know what the hoops are for. I was trying to ascertain the purpose of those larger black pipes running longitudinally on the ground.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
I think you are seeing the lip of the garden bed.  They are fish hatching tanks picked up as scrap when we aquired the hoophouse.  They were too good to leave behind;thick walled fiberglass. Non rotting raised beds.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
Ah! Now I see. Got it.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
With your spare plastic sheeting, you are now up to 14 years of time before going Extinct.

RE
It's all about buying time and in the meantime maximizing your potential yields. I don't think plastic sheeting will be around forever. I'll use it as long as I can.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
14 years is a lot longer then nothing.  It would give me time to practice metalurgical skills or my stone tool making.

Fair enough, but you won't have access to all the videos on YouTube then.  You could start downloading them now and hope you can keep a laptop working, or at least buy books.  However, if you get started now, you'll be way ahead of the game with all the resources available.

RE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:43:34 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Amazing level of skill
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
If you have ever tried to do sheet metal work you should understand how incredibly talented these men are. A gasifier friend sent me the link.  These skills used to be much more present in our part of the world.  It's good to see they still live on somewhere.
https://youtu.be/YNXQKCrpkJE
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:24:17 AM by David B. »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Amazing level of skill
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
If you have ever tried to do sheet metal work you should understand how incredibly talented these men are. A gasifier friend sent me the link.  These skills used to be much more present in our part of the world.  It's good to see they still live on somewhere.

Amazing is right. Wow.

A remarkable combination of ingenuity and necessity. What you get in a place where people waste nothing because they have nothing to waste. As opposed to people with first world problems, who habitually throw appliances away because we fix nothing.

Nice way to start the week.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing level of skill
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »

Now there's a skill worth learning that should last about a century until the sheet metal left around is too rusted to work.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How Sheet Metal is Made
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
Takes a lot of energy to make the steel barrels the stove makers use as raw material for their product.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9l7JqonyoKA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9l7JqonyoKA</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Do you honestly believe that these people or their descendants would not adapt to dwindling supplies of sheet metal?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How did those Steel Barrels GET to Africa to make stoves from?
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »

What was in those barrels before they were emptied to make stoves from?

So in the not too distant future (quite a bit <100 years), the Stovemakers will not be getting new barrels to make stoves from.

Now, here in Amerika, we do have a large reservoir of sheet metal from which to make stoves for a while...

However, you do have to get to the junkyard to cut the steel off the cars and then get it back to your village to turn it into stoves.  How will you do that?

Hopefully you can make a few trips to the junkyard before the old carz are too rusty to make good stoves.

RE
Save As Many As You Can