AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 18245 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world : Underground Greenhouse
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2018, 04:11:43 PM »
Here is one of my personal heroes when it comes to low budget sustainable building. Very pragmatic and tireless. He lives in Slovenia and supplements with heat from his char producing boiler. Also built in a hand dug cold cellar enjoy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CF7zM80Wiho?ecver=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CF7zM80Wiho?ecver=1</a>
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »
Here is one of my personal heroes when it comes to low budget sustainable building. Very pragmatic and tireless. He lives in Slovenia and supplements with heat from his char producing boiler. Also built in a hand dug cold cellar enjoy

Underground Greenhouses are called Walipinis.

Very cool video, but he should use a tripod and a wider angle lens.  I wonder what he does for a living?  That looks like it would be a full time job to build all that and dig out the root cellar.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2018, 06:02:44 PM »

Underground Greenhouses are called Walipinis.

Very cool video, but he should use a tripod and a wider angle lens.  I wonder what he does for a living?  That looks like it would be a full time job to build all that and dig out the root cellar.

RE
In the Permie world yes they are Walipinis. He is a chemist by trade and has a farm and a lot of hobbies... You can see why I like the guy. He contributes quite a bit on www.driveonwood.com
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Fun day in the field
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
Some pretty pictures. This is our last one of the year. 4kms off anything approaching a road. 3600 watts of solar, 20kwhr of storage, 4400 watts of inverter, and a backup propane generator. It gives me hope that 23 of these went In this year in our neck of the woods plus a dozen or so battery changeouts/gear upgrades. Some are preppers some just want power in the middle of nowhere, some are collapse aware others just uncomfortable with how things are going. All of them are building a better solar world. We did not inquire as to which ism they subscribe to.
Photo 1 the last 4 kms in was by toyota fj cruiser with big honkin tires.
Photo 2 array from side
Photo3 a crisp cold sunny day; great for solar the few hours there is... Array tipped to 60 degrees to hopefully clear snow on its own.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:07:08 PM by Nearingsfault »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fun day in the field
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »
Some pretty pictures. This is our last one of the year. 4kms off anything approaching a road.

How do you get all your equipment there with no road?  4-wheelers?  Snow Machines?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
nope the gear went in earlier in the year by truck. The "road" is a snow mobile trail. My job today was just to fix some little pieces, commission the system and turn it on. It went 4 weeks too late delays with the propane install hence the snow.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:39:58 PM by Nearingsfault »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
Nice systems.  Looks cold.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2018, 04:36:52 AM »
minus 14 celcius at noon. Minus 21 that morning...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
minus 14 celcius at noon. Minus 21 that morning...

We're at -4C.  Overall mild winter up here so far.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Machinery for a post collapse world: Ultimate SHTF Day Electric Chainsaw System
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
OK, I have come up with what I think should be an agreeable solution to going all-electric for your post-shtf day Electric Chainsaw needs.  :icon_sunny:

To start with, the chainsaw itself.  Getting the highest ratings with 4.8 out of 5 in the category of Professional quality electric chainsaws is the corded Makita 16" Electric Chain Saw (model UC4051A)

UC4051A
16" Electric Chain Saw
Buy LocalBuy Online

INNOVATION : “Tool-less” blade and chain adjustment /replacement by simply turning a lever
    COMFORT : Rubberized grip handles and large trigger switch for comfortable use
    CONTROL : Large metal spike bumper for added convenience
    CONVENIENCE : Oil level visible through large window for easy sight check of bar lubricant
    INCLUDES : Chain, guide bar and chain cover

UC4051A

UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A UC4051A

About Model

The Makita 16" Electric Chain Saw (model UC4051A) is engineered for fast cutting, efficient operation and easy maintenance, without the hassle of gas. The UC4051A has a chain speed of 2,900 FPM for efficient cutting and trimming. The motor has a built-in current limiter which is engineered to protect the motor from burnout by reducing power when the saw is overloaded, and an electric chain brake for maximum productivity. Additional features include an automatic chain oiler for heavy continuous cutting, and a large oil reservoir with view window that allows the operator to easily check the oil level. For increased comfort, the chain saw has ergonomic rubberized grip handles, and a large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups.

Features

"Tool-less" blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance
    Rubberized grip handles are ergonomically designed for comfort
    Large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups
    Built-in current limiter helps protect motor from burnout by reducing power to motor when saw is overloaded
    Large oil reservoir with view window allows operator to check bar oil level
    Automatic chain oiler for heavy continuous cutting
    Electric chain brake for maximum productivity
    Zero emissions and reduced maintenance
    Soft start for smooth start-ups
    Current limiter helps protect motor from damage caused by heat

Coming in now on Amazon Smile at the bargain price of $235.99.  Don't forget to designate the Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity when you buy!  :icon_sunny:

To power your saw out in the field and pull your load of chopped up trees back to your doomstead, you use an Electric Sled Tow.

You can either buy one already assembled from Yvon Martel (probably pretty pricy) or DIY cannibalizing the treads off a junked snow machine  and dropping in a 5000W 48V Electric Motor to drive the thing.

Currently $525 from Monster Scooter Parts, but they run sales all the time of 10-15% off.

For batteries, 4 large size 100AH deep cycle marine batteries  front and rear on the sled for weight and balance.  Wire in series to run the 48V motor, switch to parallel to run your inverter.

Currently $260/ea on Amazon Smile.   Don't forget to designate the Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity when you buy!  :icon_sunny:

3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter to run your corded power tools out in the field.

Currently $319 on Amazon Smile.   Don't forget to designate the Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity when you buy!  :icon_sunny:

You could add some Solar Panels to the top of the tractor to recharge the batts while out in the field.  Probably overkill though since you'll never cut enough wood in a day to run down 4 deep cycle 100AH batts.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
I like the looks of the Makita saw. I might have to get me one of those. I've had good luck with Makita tools. Been using them since the first generation of rechargeables.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
I like the looks of the Makita saw. I might have to get me one of those. I've had good luck with Makita tools. Been using them since the first generation of rechargeables.

Don't forget to designate the Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity when you buy!  :icon_sunny:

Bezos makes the donation, not you.  You pay the same price either way.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »
I guess I have to second Eddie with saying I have also had good luck with Makita, though I have only had a couple and they are gone

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2018, 09:08:28 AM »
I guess I have to second Eddie with saying I have also had good luck with Makita, though I have only had a couple and they are gone

If you already have Makita Batts, they also make a cordless 36V model which gets pretty high ratings (not as high as the corded model though).

Nice for the convenience.

Don't forget to designate Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation as your charity when you buy on Smile.Amazon.com!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:42 AM »
My current generation of drills ( I think I have three) run on 18V I think. I don't have any 36V tools. Both saws look decent, but I agree with C5 that corded tools should be your primary focus, because they will ultimately be the survivors.