AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 18916 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
We have one we could use and a sled but in this case these are the work machines that belong to the forest. Mine had 18000 km on it and was 5 years old.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
I feel for you mate.

Cold, wet & tired ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
We have one we could use and a sled but in this case these are the work machines that belong to the forest. Mine had 18000 km on it and was 5 years old.

That's hell of a lot o' snow miles. Wow.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »

That's hell of a lot o' snow miles. Wow.
not for me that's for sure. Some people just love it though.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Chickens, Greenhouse, food waste
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »
I think I've internalized a great deal of permaculture writing by this point. I particularly like the whole stacking thing.
Case in point one of the hot button issues these days seems to be food waste. Protest this, boycott that, legislate, regulate, blah, blah, blah. People just need chickens! I overwinter them in my hoop house usually in a fenced in section. My wonderful 7 year old decided they needed exercise so let them loose one morning. by the time I revisited 2 days later the winter kale bed was toast. Throwing up my hands in defeat I gave them the run of the place. I expect very little insect or weed problem this year as they have turned it into a devastated landscape in short order. So from my food waste I will receive new eggs, compostable manure, tilled beds, reduced pest problems and if they ever annoy me too much again chicken for the freezer. No methane in garbage dumps, less bags to haul out, less feed costs.
As you will see below they attack the stuff. When I'm home I feed them pellets in the afternoon and scraps in the morning so I know they will consume the waste first. Not much delayed gratification in a chicken. Pellets fill up their nutritional lack if any but the scraps have a lot of vegetables and peelings so its probably more nutritionally diverse then their feed... Greenhouse facts is -7c outside today and  3c inside the greenhouse. single layer of plastic, 20x40ft. the ground will start to freeze now that the cold is really setting in.
What can I say; I love chickens.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/miruof7E28E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/miruof7E28E</a>

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »
Dad, the chickens deserve their freedom. It's their right. LOL.

We've reached that time of year when it's cool during the week, but drops to downright cold by the weekend. At or near freezing Saturday and Sunday nights and then warming back up first of the week next week. That's the forecast.

Our food waste stream is a weird mix, because my daughter only wants veggie waste and coffee grounds and egg shells in the compost. I'd feed the meat scraps to the dogs if it were me, but both she and her mother are squinchy about certain things, like chicken bones. Not the way I was raised. We didn't buy much dog food when I was a kid. Now I buy two 40 pound bags of organic dog food a month.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »

We've reached that time of year when it's cool during the week, but drops to downright cold by the weekend. At or near freezing Saturday and Sunday nights and then warming back up first of the week next week. That's the forecast.

Our food waste stream is a weird mix, because my daughter only wants veggie waste and coffee grounds and egg shells in the compost. I'd feed the meat scraps to the dogs if it were me, but both she and her mother are squinchy about certain things, like chicken bones. Not the way I was raised. We didn't buy much dog food when I was a kid. Now I buy two 40 pound bags of organic dog food a month.
Same boat. My dog Tesla (named before the car was around) eats lamb, fish, brown rice and blueberries in her mix. Fish oils for coat and table scraps to make it all go down. I do soup stock with all our bones so what is left is pretty harmless. they get chopped up and into the compost. I don't feed them directly to the chickens even I have my limits. If there is chicken leftover in a plate scrapping I don't bother separating it for them though.
Cheers...

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »

Same boat. My dog Tesla (named before the car was around) eats lamb, fish, brown rice and blueberries in her mix. Fish oils for coat and table scraps to make it all go down. I do soup stock with all our bones so what is left is pretty harmless. they get chopped up and into the compost. I don't feed them directly to the chickens even I have my limits. If there is chicken leftover in a plate scrapping I don't bother separating it for them though.
Cheers...

Two words here.

FOOD PROCESSOR!

There is nothing a Cuisinart can't turn into a good meal for people, much less Chickens.  Process long enough, you can even turn the bones into puree and make a pate out of it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »

Cheers...

Two words here.

FOOD PROCESSOR!

There is nothing a Cuisinart can't turn into a good meal for people, much less Chickens.  Process long enough, you can even turn the bones into puree and make a pate out of it.

RE
well when times get that lean and mean I'd probably do that. By the time you've made stock there is really not much left there food wise I think.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

Cheers...

Two words here.

FOOD PROCESSOR!

RE
well when times get that lean and mean I'd probably do that. By the time you've made stock there is really not much left there food wise I think.

That's true.  If you simmer anything long enough also, you'll extract most of what has any nutritional value left in it.  Grinding up the bones though does help get the marrow out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
Spring is always a crazy time. As a tradesperson in cottage country spring determines your year. Not much time for doom or anything else. Still the garden must go in. I bought a bed making attachment for my tractor in the fall. You attach different accessories onto a 5  ft toolbar. In my case a set of angled disks to push in the soil and form a bed and some cultivators to loosen everything up. Five years ago it was almost impossible to buy a new small implement so I have some antiques kicking around. It is nice to have something new. I don't know if its a trend but there are a lot of small scale gear coming out. The tractor is running great on charcoal. I formed all the beds on less than a gallon of gasoline equivalent (13 lbs of charcoal) before shutting down.
Cheers

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
Spring is always a crazy time. As a tradesperson in cottage country spring determines your year. Not much time for doom or anything else. Still the garden must go in. I bought a bed making attachment for my tractor in the fall. You attach different accessories onto a 5  ft toolbar. In my case a set of angled disks to push in the soil and form a bed and some cultivators to loosen everything up. Five years ago it was almost impossible to buy a new small implement so I have some antiques kicking around. It is nice to have something new. I don't know if its a trend but there are a lot of small scale gear coming out. The tractor is running great on charcoal. I formed all the beds on less than a gallon of gasoline equivalent (13 lbs of charcoal) before shutting down.
Cheers

How about we do a vidcast onspring planting with post-collapse machinery?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 03, 2019, 03:25:46 AM »
Your beds look beautiful. My problem is deer/elk. Don't you have to worry that your fences will allow grazers in?? My fences have to be 7' high with 10' T posts and solid corner posts. Then the problem becomes how would you get a tractor in? (removable fencing gets removed by deer/elk. Gardening is an endless slog. AND now the weathers changing. Two weeks of scorching heat in early May followed by 2 weeks of rain with no sun. The slugs just loved the plants that I put in the ground for them :'(. And then the "organic" slug bait just attracted the Blue Jays that ripped out the plants to get the bait (doesn't hurt birds). So I had to buy a high powered BB gun (a 308 or even a 22 is overkill) to shoot the Jays. It never ends (except in collapse and death).
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2019, 03:29:15 AM »
It never ends

The struggle for survival is universal.  Our society just got used to this being pretty EZ, aided and abetted by 22,000 Energy Slaves.  Now it's time to get back to the basics.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2019, 03:44:55 AM »
Your beds look beautiful. My problem is deer/elk. Don't you have to worry that your fences will allow grazers in?? My fences have to be 7' high with 10' T posts and solid corner posts. Then the problem becomes how would you get a tractor in? (removable fencing gets removed by deer/elk. Gardening is an endless slog. AND now the weathers changing. Two weeks of scorching heat in early May followed by 2 weeks of rain with no sun. The slugs just loved the plants that I put in the ground for them :'(. And then the "organic" slug bait just attracted the Blue Jays that ripped out the plants to get the bait (doesn't hurt birds). So I had to buy a high powered BB gun (a 308 or even a 22 is overkill) to shoot the Jays. It never ends (except in collapse and death).
AJ
its a pretty small maneuverable tractor. One side of the fence comes off so I can till then it goes back pretty quick. Hopefully ill only have to reform the beds every few years. It's the bunnies that get me here. Never seen a deer on my property except in the dead of winter when they chew my apple trees if not covered. It's very wooded and swampy here the deer usually stick to grassy areas. Lots of moose but they like swamp. I don't think you can kill your way out of it myself except for a few squirrels you have to build pest resistant. They always get something you just plan for that. For wildlife  I would suggest the motion activated waterers if fencing isn't working.
Cheers
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:53:27 AM by Nearingsfault »