AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 24489 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: -36C ; a little chilly
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2020, 06:15:07 AM »
It's the cold part of the year in central Ontario. -36 C (-34 ish F) kids thought it was the perfect morning to play in the snow as they waited for the bus...

You beat me.  :(  We're only at -6F/-14C.  lol.

The Good Newz here is extended time at temps this low kills the Spruce Beetles.  Perhaps we will get some new growth now of spruce.  Alaska has been devastated by the infestation.

Do you have a block heater on your car?

RE

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
Nice!

But cold.

My son and his wife have been in from Chicago for several days...they don't get much vacation. Working their asses off to repay their student loans. They went down to the Big Bend of Texas for a few days of camping. The bears are making a comeback down there. Most bear habitat in Texas was. wiped out a hundred years ago or more.

It's a long ten hour drive south of here, but worth it. A good time of year when the heat is not an issue.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: -36C ; a little chilly
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
It's the cold part of the year in central Ontario. -36 C (-34 ish F) kids thought it was the perfect morning to play in the snow as they waited for the bus...

You beat me.  :(  We're only at -6F/-14C.  lol.

The Good Newz here is extended time at temps this low kills the Spruce Beetles.  Perhaps we will get some new growth now of spruce.  Alaska has been devastated by the infestation.

Do you have a block heater on your car?

RE

RE
There is a block heater in the explorer but I did not use it. I make sure the batteries are less than 3 yrs old and I use full synthetic oil. Since about 2000 the manufacturers are getting much better at cold starting. mostly its the computer controlled fuel injection I think. Kia had no problems either.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »
Nice!

But cold.

My son and his wife have been in from Chicago for several days...they don't get much vacation. Working their asses off to repay their student loans. They went down to the Big Bend of Texas for a few days of camping. The bears are making a comeback down there. Most bear habitat in Texas was. wiped out a hundred years ago or more.

It's a long ten hour drive south of here, but worth it. A good time of year when the heat is not an issue.

Interesting. That black bear head shape looks a little different then I'm used to. A very smart adaptive animal. I have not seen one since last winter when a mom and cub destroyed my composter and tore open my chicken coop. I moved it a good 100 ft away from the house since and installed better motion detector lights there and at the chicken coop... No problems since. Cheers,
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
Wouldn't you know it the week after I move the inverter and batteries to the new property a massive thunderstorm knocks out power for so far 24 hours with estimates for repairs of 2 more days. . And we are supposed to go away this weekend.
I am nothing if not a pack rat so I had to break out an antique. A venerable trace 2512 approx 30 years old. Its coupled to two deep cycle marine batteries from my two tractors and charged by a 40 amp battery charger hooked to my small generator. The generator was too small to run the pump. The inverter has it's own charger which is plugged into the grid for when the power is restored and voila a 30 minute UPS with 2kw plus of storage... its ugly but it will work.
Uhg hopefully it holds together.
Cheers

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2020, 07:11:48 PM »
Wouldn't you know it the week after I move the inverter and batteries to the new property a massive thunderstorm knocks out power for so far 24 hours with estimates for repairs of 2 more days. . And we are supposed to go away this weekend.
I am nothing if not a pack rat so I had to break out an antique. A venerable trace 2512 approx 30 years old. Its coupled to two deep cycle marine batteries from my two tractors and charged by a 40 amp battery charger hooked to my small generator. The generator was too small to run the pump. The inverter has it's own charger which is plugged into the grid for when the power is restored and voila a 30 minute UPS with 2kw plus of storage... its ugly but it will work.
Cheers

I'll be talking about emergency backup systems in the broadcast on Saturday.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
Cheers

RE
If all goes well I should be installing a 3kw array on saturday at the new place.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
Cheers

RE
If all goes well I should be installing a 3kw array on saturday at the new place.

Make a video.  I'll edit it into the broadcast in post-production.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2020, 06:17:42 AM »
Cheers
well it ran the fridge and started the pump all evening. Then ran the fridge all night. We are charging it up for the weekend away right now. It should stay on the whole time we are away. All and all I'm happy with my cobbled together with bailing twine system. I would not want to rely on it though. It is nice to see a piece of off grid gear that still works well after so long, it gives me some comfort in the durability of well built gear. The thing weighs a tonne with all that iron core and copper wire in the transformer.