AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 20933 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: -36C ; a little chilly
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2020, 06:15:07 AM »
It's the cold part of the year in central Ontario. -36 C (-34 ish F) kids thought it was the perfect morning to play in the snow as they waited for the bus...

You beat me.  :(  We're only at -6F/-14C.  lol.

The Good Newz here is extended time at temps this low kills the Spruce Beetles.  Perhaps we will get some new growth now of spruce.  Alaska has been devastated by the infestation.

Do you have a block heater on your car?

RE

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
Nice!

But cold.

My son and his wife have been in from Chicago for several days...they don't get much vacation. Working their asses off to repay their student loans. They went down to the Big Bend of Texas for a few days of camping. The bears are making a comeback down there. Most bear habitat in Texas was. wiped out a hundred years ago or more.

It's a long ten hour drive south of here, but worth it. A good time of year when the heat is not an issue.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: -36C ; a little chilly
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
It's the cold part of the year in central Ontario. -36 C (-34 ish F) kids thought it was the perfect morning to play in the snow as they waited for the bus...

You beat me.  :(  We're only at -6F/-14C.  lol.

The Good Newz here is extended time at temps this low kills the Spruce Beetles.  Perhaps we will get some new growth now of spruce.  Alaska has been devastated by the infestation.

Do you have a block heater on your car?

RE

RE
There is a block heater in the explorer but I did not use it. I make sure the batteries are less than 3 yrs old and I use full synthetic oil. Since about 2000 the manufacturers are getting much better at cold starting. mostly its the computer controlled fuel injection I think. Kia had no problems either.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »
Nice!

But cold.

My son and his wife have been in from Chicago for several days...they don't get much vacation. Working their asses off to repay their student loans. They went down to the Big Bend of Texas for a few days of camping. The bears are making a comeback down there. Most bear habitat in Texas was. wiped out a hundred years ago or more.

It's a long ten hour drive south of here, but worth it. A good time of year when the heat is not an issue.

Interesting. That black bear head shape looks a little different then I'm used to. A very smart adaptive animal. I have not seen one since last winter when a mom and cub destroyed my composter and tore open my chicken coop. I moved it a good 100 ft away from the house since and installed better motion detector lights there and at the chicken coop... No problems since. Cheers,
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.