AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 2375 times)

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 05:36:34 AM »
This was my first vid with our canon sir I usually use my phone. I really don't know what I did to mess up the auto focus. The filter mask uses cleanable hepa rated filters. This set carried me through 4 years of daily carpentry work. I have a spare set in a bag I never used. If they wear out I'll do 3 layers of wet cotton. The grinder runs at about 600 watts per hour when loaded down; I did it all in 20 minutes so call it 200 watt hrs and ground 30lbs of charcoal. burnt in a charcoal gasifier to charge batteries that should correspond to 20-25 kW Hrs of electricity including losses. I am not one hundred percent consistent in my pursuits I'll admit.  The grinder right now is running off of the solar. I don't top off the batteries with a generator anymore since we have a grid connection but I could. If you want the whole picture it would run something like this: Electric chainsaw to cut the firewood originally, electric splitter to split it, both can run on either solar close to the house or Charcoal powered generator if more then 200 ft away. The wood heats the house and runs the maple syrup boiler they generate charcoal as they heat the house and generate the cash crop. There is not enough of it from those sources so I would have to convert more treetop scraps to charcoal. I'd use the electric chopsaw for that. On a nice sunny day in the spring when the batteries are topped off I would grind my charcoal stockpile and mist the garden with biochar. I should have a bigger solar array to make it all work. You could substitute all of those devices with muscle power but I would need to be working at it full time and right now BAU is still working and paying so I'll put off penury for a while. I have a crosscut saw, mauls, splitting axes but having used them a fair bit the first few years I'll use the machines while I have them. Again lots of inconsistencies and industrial products that fail but its a beginning of a full system.
Cheers,  David
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:29:26 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
This was my first vid with our canon sir I usually use my phone. I really don't know what I did to mess up the auto focus. The filter mask uses cleanable hepa rated filters. This set carried me through 4 years of daily carpentry work. I have a spare set in a bag I never used. If they wear out I'll do 3 layers of wet cotton. The grinder runs at about 600 watts per hour when loaded down; I did it all in 20 minutes so call it 200 watt hrs and ground 30lbs of charcoal. burnt in a charcoal gasifier to charge batteries that should correspond to 20-25 kW Hrs of electricity including losses. I am not one hundred percent consistent in my pursuits I'll admit.  The grinder right now is running off of the solar. I don't top off the batteries with a generator anymore since we have a grid connection but I could. If you want the whole picture it would run something like this: Electric chainsaw to cut the firewood originally, electric splitter to split it, both can run on either solar close to the house or Charcoal powered generator if more then 200 ft away. The wood heats the house and runs the maple syrup boiler they generate charcoal as they heat the house and generate the cash crop. There is not enough of it from those sources so I would have to convert more treetop scraps to charcoal. I'd use the electric chopsaw for that. On a nice sunny day in the spring when the batteries are topped off I would grind my charcoal stockpile and mist the garden with biochar. I should have a bigger solar array to make it all work. You could substitute all of those devices with muscle power but I would need to be working at it full time and right now BAU is still working and paying so I'll put off penury for a while. I have a crosscut saw, mauls, splitting axes but having used them a fair bit the first few years I'll use the machines while I have them. Again lots of inconsistencies and industrial products that fail but its a beginning of a full system.
Cheers,  David

I was just being annoying.  ;D

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
One should be able to defend one's positions. Putting it down on paper makes for a more concrete road map anyways. Usually I just build shit with only a vague idea of how they connect...I'm trying to link it all. Many kicks at the can for each energy input.
David
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »
The filter mask uses cleanable hepa rated filters. This set carried me through 4 years of daily carpentry work. I have a spare set in a bag I never used. If they wear out I'll do 3 layers of wet cotton.

I make my own gas filtration cartridges.

Start with a small can, either tuna fish cans for the more flat shape or tomato paste cans for the longer shape.

Cut the lid off with the type of can opener that peels off the top, not the type that cuts it:

Eat the food in the can, then wash it clean.

On the bottom, drill a dozen or so 1/4" holes to allow contaminated air to pass through.

Inside, cut a round piece of cheese cloth to fit the bottom.  Above that, drop a layer of shredded cotton balls or cotton batting.

Add another cheese cloth separator, then a layer of Activated Charcoal.  This can be purchased cheap at pet supply stores in the aquarium department.  I have a couple of pounds of the stuff, good for dozens of cartridges which will last a LONG time each one unless exposed to some really noxious fumes.

Rinse and repeat for 2-3 more layers, loosely packed to allow for good airflow through the filter.

For the top, cut a 1-2" hole in it with a hole saw for your electric drill that will take a PCV screw fitting for the hose, then seal the can and top with cyanoacrylate (crazy) glue or epoxy.

Connect your hose to a snorkel or other device to breathe through.

You can carry the cartridge in your Hunting Vest Pocket and attach the hose to it from there.  Add Goggles if there is a lot of fumes and smoke around that will hit your eyeballs.  Also wear a Bandana wetted down to protect your lips.  This is important in Tear Gas situations fired off by the Gestapo at Demonstrations.

I designed my system mainly for Volcanic Eruptions from Mt. Redoubt if we get a big one before I croak.  Should be good for both the micro-particulates that can sandblast your lungs as well as pyroclastic gasses like Sulfur Dioxide.  I have enough cartridges to last for several days of constant eruption and ashfall.  Total cost, less than $50 and that is including the tuna and tomato paste I ate.  For the charcoal gas production, they would likely last the rest of your life and your children's lifetime's as well.  They can be cleaned out of course as well unless seriously contaminated by chemicals.

Prior to direct use, dampen the bottom layer of cotton batting through the air entry holes using a Turkey Injector or Baster.

Not too much water, it clogs up the airflow.  Just enough to dampen it and increase adsorption.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »
Interesting but a little too culture warrior for my tastes. I have chemical cartridges for the mask they don't last once you open them up. The charcoal saturates with humidity within days. If read and heard stories from the ww1 vets talking about charcoal wool and urine as a mustard gas mask in the early days until the issued ones got there. I'll stick to the NAOSH regulated gear for now...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:33 AM »
Interesting but a little too culture warrior for my tastes. I have chemical cartridges for the mask they don't last once you open them up. The charcoal saturates with humidity within days. If read and heard stories from the ww1 vets talking about charcoal wool and urine as a mustard gas mask in the early days until the issued ones got there. I'll stick to the NAOSH regulated gear for now...

If you are  worried about the charcoal being deactivated by humidity, then seal the cannister in avaccuum bag until you need it for use.  Or never take the charcoal out of its storage container to begin with until you need to make a new cannister.

You can get rid of humidity issues simply by baking the cannister for about 20 minutes.  Water vapor does not affect the chemical properties of the charcoal, and once you dry it out it works just like new.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world : Bacon fat candles are trending!
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »
Hey look I'm on trend with my lard candles... They don't even render it a little too baconey for me I think.
https://butternutrition.com/the-bacon-fat-candle-a-little-bit-of-bacon-in-every-day/
I built a reflector out of leftover flashing material and made a thicker wick for more light; a great reading lamp. I think I'll stop this experiment here. reading in bed by candlelight is a great way to fall asleep though... just remember to put it out!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world : Bacon fat candles are trending!
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:07 AM »
Hey look I'm on trend with my lard candles... They don't even render it a little too baconey for me I think.
https://butternutrition.com/the-bacon-fat-candle-a-little-bit-of-bacon-in-every-day/
I built a reflector out of leftover flashing material and made a thicker wick for more light; a great reading lamp. I think I'll stop this experiment here. reading in bed by candlelight is a great way to fall asleep though... just remember to put it out!

When I used to eat bacon, I always saved the fat in a coffee can.  Burns great but of course smells like bacon when you burn it.  Bacon smells good though IMHO.

Now nothing I still eat has so much extra fat on it to save for candles and such.  I am mostly eating Sashimi now for Animal Protein, raw fish.  Tuna, Salmon and Flounder, I slice it up myself now to save money instead of buying from the sushi counter at Fred Meyer.  I add some Yogurt and a boiled egg every day to add to the protein content for the day.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
Ah to live on a coast. We are surrounded by lakes. Grey trout is the king here but I prefer the taste of perch myself. It's on my list this winter to make time for ice fishing. Another great basic skill to practice now. I'm a horrible fisherman

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »
Ah to live on a coast. We are surrounded by lakes. Grey trout is the king here but I prefer the taste of perch myself. It's on my list this winter to make time for ice fishing. Another great basic skill to practice now. I'm a horrible fisherman

My fishing days are OVAH.  The closest I come to fishing is picking a fillet out of the refrigerated fish counter at Fred Meyer, Carr's or 3 Bears.  Fortunately, all 3 places carry good locally sourced fish.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN