AuthorTopic: Machinery for a post collapse world  (Read 11873 times)

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Machinery for a post collapse world
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
ok, so I logged in, copied and pasted in and submitted it. By copy and paste I mean old school copy and paste or is there a thingy I was supposed to use on wordpress? I previewed it and the still pictures did not copy over and the youtube links seem wrong. Where did I go wrong coach?
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
ok, so I logged in, copied and pasted in and submitted it. By copy and paste I mean old school copy and paste or is there a thingy I was supposed to use on wordpress? I previewed it and the still pictures did not copy over and the youtube links seem wrong. Where did I go wrong coach?

Different versions of WordPress treat Pics and Vids in different ways.  Not sure how yours works exactly.  Usually, if you copy the HTML rather than the visual, this will work, but let me go in and edit your blog and see what needs to be done to get them to appear correctly.  Sign out, because I am going to take over the editing.  Let me know when you are signed out.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
ok, logged out.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
ok, logged out.

OK, a straight copy/paste off your version of WP loses the vids.  I can fix that, but let's try something else which is EZier.  Instead of copying from your blog, copy your post from the forum and paste that in.  That works for me.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:21 PM »
ok, tried that and corrected the text to the new one, I hit preview and no vids...I'm logged out and bummed out. I need sleep.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
ok, tried that and corrected the text to the new one, I hit preview and no vids...I'm logged out and bummed out. I need sleep.

I think I know what the problem is.  I will explain to you after you get rest.  Nice work though today!  :icon_sunny:  Don't worry, if you can't get it set right, I will fix anyhow.  But I know you like to DIY, so if you want to keep trying we can get it right so you can do it without my help.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »

I think I know what the problem is.  I will explain to you after you get rest.  Nice work though today!  :icon_sunny:  Don't worry, if you can't get it set right, I will fix anyhow.  But I know you like to DIY, so if you want to keep trying we can get it right so you can do it without my help.

RE
you are right I like puzzles.  Just let me know how I fucked up and ill clean up my mess... if I can.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:52 PM »

RE
you are right I like puzzles.  Just let me know how I fucked up and ill clean up my mess... if I can.

Not your fault I don't think.  Has to do with Permissions on the Diner blog.  Get some rest, that was enough for one day.  We will pick it up again tomorrow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
I'm rejigging my motorized cheap grain mill. I really should get a better one. It's a victorio made to be hand cranked that I fitted with a pulley and attached to a treadmill motor. Something C5 mentioned got me thinking. I turn it at 24 volts because that is my battery bank voltage but there is no reason it could not turn at 36 volt the voltage of a modern 60 cell solar panel. It could simply speed up and slow down with the changing sun... for now the mill is out of its bin for the first time in 18 months and I ground up some storage wheat to see how it cooked up. There is nothing like storage wheat fresh bread...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:38:00 PM by Nearingsfault »

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Sometimes even doomers have to do something fun and selfless. As I've mentioned before I come across quite a bit of these older pieces of equipment. This little system is going to a single hardcore homesteading mom of 3 to replace her really quite scary unreliable system. 9.6 kwhr of storage a venerable dr2412 inverter and I've already installed 1kw of solar... it will keep the lights on at home and run the washing machine...

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
I'm rejigging my motorized cheap grain mill. I really should get a better one. It's a victorio made to be hand cranked that I fitted with a pulley and attached to a treadmill motor. Something C5 mentioned got me thinking. I turn it at 24 volts because that is my battery bank voltage but there is no reason it could not turn at 36 volt the voltage of a modern 60 cell solar panel. It could simply speed up and slow down with the changing sun... for now the mill is out of its bin for the first time in 18 months and I ground up some storage wheat to see how it cooked up. There is nothing like storage wheat fresh bread...

I need to check on my storage grains. My wife made me put them in the cellar (which is really a big crawl space on the uphill side of the 1st floor). I worry that rats might figure out a way to eat through my food-grade buckets. I don't think it's happened yet, but rats are extremely good at getting into things.

I have a hand cranked grain mill that I've never used at all.

Nice looking loaf of bread. Nothing like fresh bread just out of the oven. Heavenly. Especially if you have butter. I have some canned butter and cheese, but I never got a huge supply. Stuff's exorbitantly expensive..but I have used it, and it's good. Worth stockpiling some more.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
Sometimes even doomers have to do something fun and selfless. As I've mentioned before I come across quite a bit of these older pieces of equipment. This little system is going to a single hardcore homesteading mom of 3 to replace her really quite scary unreliable system. 9.6 kwhr of storage a venerable dr2412 inverter and I've already installed 1kw of solar... it will keep the lights on at home and run the washing machine...

That's an act of real kindness. You're a good man. It will come back to you a hundred fold.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »

That's an act of real kindness. You're a good man. It will come back to you a hundred fold.
its practice as well. I'm thinking of getting a metal container and storing some of these systems in metal barrels along with some chargers and panels. Now if I can just find an older 24 volt inverter to back up mine. We just got 3 xantrex sw5048 inverters in from a system upgrade... I'm pondering just switching to 48 volts and be done with it...and keep a spare.

Online Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »

I need to check on my storage grains. My wife made me put them in the cellar (which is really a big crawl space on the uphill side of the 1st floor). I worry that rats might figure out a way to eat through my food-grade buckets. I don't think it's happened yet, but rats are extremely good at getting into things.

I have a hand cranked grain mill that I've never used at all.

Nice looking loaf of bread. Nothing like fresh bread just out of the oven. Heavenly. Especially if you have butter. I have some canned butter and cheese, but I never got a huge supply. Stuff's exorbitantly expensive..but I have used it, and it's good. Worth stockpiling some more.
I looked at that stuff. 20 dollars a can for 6oz... it better be pretty damn awesome butter. I watched some videos of canning clarified butter not sure on the longevity. I usually freeze butter. I packed all my stuff in 50 gallon steel barrels in mylar bags. No rats but raccoons, squirrels and mice are just as vicious.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »

:emthup: :emthup:
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound