AuthorTopic: Food Dumping  (Read 1044 times)

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Food Dumping
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
Excess milk? Give the lot to charities who support the poor and homeless. Let the charities foot some of the bill so the farmer does not make a loss. At least that way the most vulnerable in society could have access to milk. If there is a will there is a way. The milk doesn't have to be wasted.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Dumping
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
Excess milk? Give the lot to charities who support the poor and homeless. Let the charities foot some of the bill so the farmer does not make a loss. At least that way the most vulnerable in society could have access to milk. If there is a will there is a way. The milk doesn't have to be wasted.

What does this have to do with Hyperinflation-Deflation?

On the issue of charities buying the milk so the farmer doesn't make a loss, the charities afford to buy the milk.  Charities get their food by it being given to them to then distribute.  The farmer will take a loss either way, but in the case of giving it to needy people this drives down the cost you can sell milk at since people can get it for free.  So when they overproduce, they get rid of the overrage by dumping it.  Same thing that retail grocery stores do.  They have tons of wasted food all the time they could give away but don't because then people wouldn't buy the food they do sell.

Besides that with milk is the issue it spoils.  So in order to keep it you need to make cheese out of it or powder it.  Both processes cost money, along with the shipping of the milk to the processing plants.  Who is going to pay for that?  The farmer already is losing money and the charities don't have the money, so who pays?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
Besides that with milk is the issue it spoils.  So in order to keep it you need to make cheese out of it or powder it.  Both processes cost money, along with the shipping of the milk to the processing plants.  Who is going to pay for that?  The farmer already is losing money and the charities don't have the money, so who pays?

This isn't to do with hyperinflation or deflation. It is about ethics. With the number of poor and jobless Americans it is criminal that so much good milk (or food) gets wasted. Instead of the food being dumped it could be give to a charity who then sells the food at a lower price that simply covers the cost. Those cheap goods can only be sold to people on low income or are on food stamps or other recognised government assistance. That way the most needy get to buy the excess goods and you do not get general deflation for the average consumer, only the most vulnerable. When I worked for a charity this how we operated. Like I said if there is a will there is a way.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »

This isn't to do with hyperinflation or deflation. It is about ethics. With the number of poor and jobless Americans it is criminal that so much good milk (or food) gets wasted. Instead of the food being dumped it could be give to a charity who then sells the food at a lower price that simply covers the cost. Those cheap goods can only be sold to people on low income or are on food stamps or other recognised government assistance. That way the most needy get to buy the excess goods and you do not get general deflation for the average consumer, only the most vulnerable. When I worked for a charity this how we operated. Like I said if there is a will there is a way.

Why did you put this in this thread then?  You should have made a new thread for it on food dumping.

You didn''t respond to the cost problems of paying for the milk transportation and processing, and "reduced prices" isn't enough, the poorest folks can't afford any price at all.  As long as they have SNAP cards they can, but then you just have Da Goobermint paying for the stuff.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Why did you put this in this thread then?  You should have made a new thread for it on food dumping.

You didn''t respond to the cost problems of paying for the milk transportation and processing, and "reduced prices" isn't enough, the poorest folks can't afford any price at all.  As long as they have SNAP cards they can, but then you just have Da Goobermint paying for the stuff.

I feel the points I raised are not sufficient to warrant a new thread. It was more a side point to highlight the excess that our waste based society produces. Going back to affordability I do understand that unemployed people cannot afford goods at any price but for the moment they are supported by the government. I would rather see the poor take government money than the big corporations through subsidies or the military industry complex. The system will go down at least make it serve the people most heavily exploited. This is more to do with making the best of a bad situation than finding an ultimate solution.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »

I feel the points I raised are not sufficient to warrant a new thread. It was more a side point to highlight the excess that our waste based society produces. Going back to affordability I do understand that unemployed people cannot afford goods at any price but for the moment they are supported by the government. I would rather see the poor take government money than the big corporations through subsidies or the military industry complex. The system will go down at least make it serve the people most heavily exploited. This is more to do with making the best of a bad situation than finding an ultimate solution.

I think Food Dumping DEFINITELY needs its own thread, so I am going to split this off into a new one.

I'll respond to the rest after I do the technical task.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »

I think Food Dumping DEFINITELY needs its own thread, so I am going to split this off into a new one.

I'll respond to the rest after I do the technical task.

RE

WTF is "food dumping?"  Apparently I missed something. 

I know I was just talking to a local produce store that sells a lot of "natural" and "organic" and other hippie shit about how grocery stores dump huge amounts of produce and meat into the dumpster.  Likewise at restaurants with all of the food that wasteful Merikans leave on their plates. 

The little shop sells their old produce for .29 cents per pound, and then when that doesn't sell they feed it to their cows. 

**edit  Apparently I responded before this whole thread showed up, when I posted the above comment there was only one comment in this thread. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:26:11 PM by luciddreams »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »

I certainly would rather see money enough to buy food (and have decent housing and medical care) go to the poor rather than corporations as well, but this does not really address the problem of food dumping under the capitalist system we are running.

What occured in the Dairy industry is similar to many others, including Solar PV panels, which is overproduction and so there is actually much more milk than can be consumed being produced, and the reason people can't consume it is because they don't have money enough to afford to buy it (without the SNAP Cards, anyhow).

The producers need to try to keep their prices up in order to keep producing, so like the Oil industry they try to limit the product availability.  However, unlike an Oil Well you can shut in, your cows keep producing milk whether you can sell it at an affordable price or not.  So it gets dumped when the price drops too low.  That's what happened in the Great Depression.  It's an outcome of the capitalist system when applied to food distribution.

RE
Save As Many As You Can