AuthorTopic: The DIY Thread  (Read 3514 times)

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The DIY Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »
But also much harder to build. (Maybe we can make the Mexicans build it.)

For water storage all you need is a pump, tanks and PVC, smelly solvent glue, and a sawzall. And you also get to stockpile water, which is sometimes a scarce resource around here.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »

For water storage all you need is a pump, tanks and PVC, smelly solvent glue, and a sawzall. And you also get to stockpile water, which is sometimes a scarce resource around here.

Nah, not hard at all.  You can buy the tower structure commercially.  Bolt together. Then all you need is a pulley system, a bag of sand and an electric motor to yank it up with.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:20 AM »

Nah, not hard at all.  You can buy the tower structure commercially.  Bolt together. Then all you need is a pulley system, a bag of sand and an electric motor to yank it up with.

RE

Just as easy as building a quarter mile of railroad track, which runs about $14Million /mile at present. You can't build that kind of device out of scavenged lawn furniture and skateboard wheels.  Trust me, the water storage (while less efficient) would be far easier to get up and working.

But these days, the solution for power is just more panels. Panels are cheap, and when they wear out, then you can build inclined railroads out the wazoo using labor that's a whole lot cheaper than what construction hands make at present. More panels, more water turbines. I'm going to buy a pallet of these:

Brand new, high quality American made panels from right down the road in San Antonio, for about $.50/watt. Big mothers, 320 watts apiece.

With what I have now, I should never want for power in this lifetime.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

With what I have now, I should never want for power in this lifetime.

As long as it is Sunny  :icon_sunny:, and you have enough Batt Storage, this should do OK.

However, the discussion was NOT about comparing Solar PV to Hydro, it was about how to handle overloads from the Hydro system in times of high water and how to store said energy.

The advantages of the system I describe are:

1- Relatively Low Tech.  No Rare Earths necessary.  No Lead Acid Batts even.  Only Electric Motors in theory you could wind yourself, but there are plenty of alternators out there to scavenge off dead carz.

2- Can easily be built from local materials.  Cut down a few trees, build your tower, put sand or gravel in a bag, hook up to pulley system.  No pumps or Fossil Fuel based tubing necessary.

The experiment here is to try to maintain electricity with as low tech as possible.  Of course if you load up on Solar PV Panels and have enough sunlight you can generate power for the rest of your life.  The goal here is to create a system which can last longer than that, so your kids and grandkids still have some juice too.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »
Can easily be built from local materials.  Cut down a few trees, build your tower, put sand or gravel in a bag, hook up to pulley system.  No pumps or Fossil Fuel based tubing necessary.

I do not buy the "easily" part. Show me when you get one built.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Can easily be built from local materials.  Cut down a few trees, build your tower, put sand or gravel in a bag, hook up to pulley system.  No pumps or Fossil Fuel based tubing necessary.

I do not buy the "easily" part. Show me when you get one built.

Exactly how am I supposed to build one living in a Poor People's apartment complex living on Social Security?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
Spend next winter on the stead, and bring a sycophant to help.

Hey, I'm just kidding. I just know what I can build, and what I can't, without lots of fabrication and materials. To me, what seems to you like a simple project, is full of pitfalls and problems to overcome. Not that it doesn't make sense, but I think the devil is in the details.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Spend next winter on the stead, and bring a sycophant to help.

Hey, I'm just kidding. I just know what I can build, and what I can't, without lots of fabrication and materials. To me, what seems to you like a simple project, is full of pitfalls and problems to overcome. Not that it doesn't make sense, but I think the devil is in the details.

When I move to the 'stead in my Stealth Van, I will have plenty of money to build these projects and land to build them on. :)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN