AuthorTopic: Trauma (psychological)  (Read 4632 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: Trauma (psychological)
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
I'd say when I was on restriction, getting kicked out of the Navy after 9/11, and I ended up on solitary confinement/bread and water, while I was in that cell I was probably at the fourth stage.  Then there was the trauma of hearing my neighboring ship mate in the cell next to me lose his fucking shit and start banging his head against our common cinder block wall.  I heard the repetitive thud, thud of his head, and he was singing a Pink Floyd song, but I can't remember what one (might as well have been The Wall).  I watched through the little slit window in my cell door as they dragged his bloody ass off kicking and screaming.  I never saw or heard from him again.  It was an autonomic, sympathetic, claustrophobic clusterfuck in that cell.  Luckily I had studied Buddhism at sea to keep myself somewhat sane while we were bombing Afghanistan.  So while I was in solitary I just went to a zen place and rode it out.

Oh, man!  All of that was traumatic, indeed!  I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that my brother.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I did it to myself by enlisting myself into the US Navy.  That is the tip of the iceberg as well.  It got much worse than that while I was on restriction.  Honestly, I was happier locked in that cell on bread and water than I was at sea standing watch 10 feet away from the core of the reactor while we were bombing Afghanistan. 

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »
There is a simple set of physical exercises, called TREŽ -- Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises -- which actually initiate an involuntary shaking response of the kind which humans should normally have immediately following a traumatic experience, once basic safety is achieved.

I've done these exercises myself a few times, and each time I've initiated the involuntary shaking response.  Advocates of TRE say that merely doing these exercises and experiencing the shaking will lower the amount of trauma which is lodged in the nervous system.  I strongly suspect this is so, though I'm not sure the exercises will necessarily go as deep and far as they will when combined with other forms of therapy.

The good news about these exercises is that they are simple, easy, and readily learned with a minimum of effort.  Another bit of good news is that it does not seem to be necessary to consciously deal with the traumatic memories associated, since the whole event happens well under the level of conscious awareness, in the nervous system itself.

I recommend "googling" the name of the exercises and exploring.  You can learn all you need about it online, I believe -- though I did the exercises in a class, myself.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Trauma

By Zeng Fanzhi   2007

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
Listening to The Land Saves My Life
Will Falk
http://willfalk.org/listening-to-the-land-saves-my-life
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!