AuthorTopic: Driverless Carz & The Pricetag of Civilization  (Read 10492 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Driverless Carz & The Pricetag of Civilization
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »
But, Ox, Hedges and I are almost identical in our emphasis on how we understand what's going on in American politics in recent decades.  We say corporations and monied interests are running the show, thus cutting out anyone who isn't  a millionaire or billionaire.

He and I are in fundamental agreement about the Right-libertarians -- that they simply want to deepen the plutocratic, neo-fascist injustices of our time.

He and I both see little, pathetic donald trump as a sad and pathetic, even grotesque, example of the astonishing overreach of these plutocratic hucksters. 

How can you possibly admire a man who, politically, is so very much like me in these respects?  When have you ever indicated fundamental agreement with my political views? 
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2017, 07:53:04 PM »
But, Ox, Hedges and I are almost identical in our emphasis on how we understand what's going on in American politics in recent decades.  We say corporations and monied interests are running the show, thus cutting out anyone who isn't  a millionaire or billionaire.

He and I are in fundamental agreement about the Right-libertarians -- that they simply want to deepen the plutocratic, neo-fascist injustices of our time.

He and I both see little, pathetic donald trump as a sad and pathetic, even grotesque, example of the astonishing overreach of these plutocratic hucksters. 

How can you possibly admire a man who, politically, is so very much like me in these respects?  When have you ever indicated fundamental agreement with my political views?

It's a very fine line of distinction and impossible to explain in this sort of venue. To try and give you a very broad conceptual analysis of where I am at let me try and just throw a simple statement your way.

Government itself and people in the government are two distinct things. When talking about a Trump, Hillary, Sanders, etc I am referencing individual human beings with the traits that you and I have JRM some good some evil, all of us different to varying degrees.

When talking government it becomes a cold inhuman oppressive entity that has become outsized, meddling, and enslaving. A monster devouring all of us.

Mr Hedges speaks bad of all political parties in my readings of him, and understands the government has become an oppressive monster.

To get into the exact nitty gritty and myriad of complexities that such an outlook entails is impossible.

Forgive my inability to express fully, but that is the broad picture of what I'm getting at.

You hate Trump, same here for me with Hillary, we both think Sanders is an OK guy but I don't like some of his views. No big deal. Their people like and hate who you want.

The government however is something else. It is not a human being. It has become another kind of entity. That's the drift anyway.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
Good night Diners, School vacation week here. Have three male grandchildren to babysit tomorrow, and have to hit the hay early.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »

Learned that waterfowl can be really foul; pigs and goats don't work here yet due to infrastructure and fencing issues.  Furthermore, other than pigs, these can be hard to cost justify.  Since we be way po', everything has to pay for itself somehow.  Can't have many useless eaters.  That's why I'm retiring a bunch of old laying hens.  Fortunately we have a good market for organically fed stewing hens: they make terrific bone broth.

If I get ambitious to do so, I could write some interesting posts for the doomsteading forum.  Some might be provocative, like "Why I Dumped Aquaponics".  Heck, that statement alone could provoke a firestorm.

'Nuff said.
--Greg.  FM.  Radio.     Nick???

I'm on 1.6 acres in the country on a busy ass two lane road that might as well be a highway.  Speed limit changes to 50 mph about a mile from the house, so by the time people get here they're doing 55-60 mph.  We recently had a drunk driver flip three times, took out our chain link fence, and ended up in the middle of our front yard (which is why we don't let our kids play in the front).  It amazes me how many people build houses right on the fuckin' roads around here.  We're here because it's an inlaws house and she lets us live here without paying rent since she owns the place. 

At any rate, I've got five chickens currently, 4 hens and a rooster.  Two Rhode Island Reds, two Buff Orpingtons, and the rooster is a Red Star that was hatched by a broody hen here a few years ago (the previous rooster was eaten).  The most I've had at any one time was 15 birds.  We were selling eggs back then for three dollars a dozen which basically just paid for feed.  I might incubate a couple more birds this year, but the four hens we have are able to keep my family covered up in eggs.  A couple more would give us the extra eggs we need to make mayonnaise more often. 

We tried ducks a couple of years ago, and we quickly learned that they are much more difficult to keep than chickens.  The wild life (around here at least) go absolutely bat shit crazy for duck meat.  I think we've had 6 total and every one of them was lost to predation.  I haven't lost one chicken in five years of keeping chickens.  My wife actually wrangled a hawk one time to keep it off of our ducklings.  I couldn't believe my eyes when she did that, grabbed that fuckin' hawk by it's legs and threw it about 20 feet away onto it's head...my mouth was hanging open watching her do that.  The hawk got up and flew up on top of our garage and preened itself for a few minutes before flying off.  By then I had my site on em, but I didn't pull the trigger (we have a trailer park right next to us).  I've got plans to make a small pond, and when I do I'm going to try ducks again...just gotta make a little ducky Fort Knox I guess. 

Anyways, Radio...please write your article about why you dumped aquaponics.  I would love to read an article on that exact topic.  RE is all about aquaponics, and I've ran into other people that are all about it as well.  I've never tried, but I'm of the opinion that it's not worth the effort for several reasons:

1.  It requires infrastructure that would be difficult to procure in a shtf scenario (although I think one could employ bamboo for a good bit of that infrastructure).

2.  I like growing food in dirt, where it's supposed to grow.

3.  It's more complex in some ways than just growing in dirt.

4.  It requires electricity.

I could probably go on.  I have never tried it for the above reasons.  However I've remained on the fence about it because there are aspects about it that are very appealing.  Fortunately I have many other projects that are in line before aquaponics.  Projects like a soldier fly larvae operation to feed the chickens (have the SFL delivering themselves to the coop through their exit shoot).  Building a rocket mass heater.  Vermicomposting operation.  Pond build.  Spring is around the corner so I will be busy with annual seeds. 

Anyways, please do write about your experience with aquaponics.  I'm EXTREMELY interested to hear what you have to say on the topic. 

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »
You hate Trump, same here for me with Hillary, we both think Sanders is an OK guy but I don't like some of his views. No big deal. Their people like and hate who you want.

I do not hate trump.  I'm very worried about his presence in the White House, along with all of the people he's appointed to various roles in the US government.
I think he's wildly incompetent for the position of president of the USA, that he's mentally ill (malignant narcissism) and dangerous....  But none of this leads me to hate him.  It's his mental illness which caused him to want to be president in the first place, and one does not hate mentally ill people because of their sickness, any more than one hates someone because they have some other kind of disease.  trump should be impeached and removed from office as soon as possible. 

He's dangerous. I do not hate him.

I'm glad you are willing and able to listen to people from a broad array of political persuasions.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:56 AM »
If I get ambitious to do so, I could write some interesting posts for the doomsteading forum.  Some might be provocative, like "Why I Dumped Aquaponics".  Heck, that statement alone could provoke a firestorm.
LOL... you provided sufficient explanation when you said "We have 7 acres...."  Aquaponics is an intensive system, it only makes sense in small spaces.  Not much point to it if you have the room.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Would love to hear about your experiences with aquaculture. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm not dogmatic, especially since I don't even have my system up and running, even though I built one two years ago. I've forgotten what little I learned in my training, which was only one day anyway.

Most super-great techniques for growing food don't work for me. For instance, I'd need at least a hundred 4X4 raised beds to grow as much food as Mel Bartholomew claims he can grow in ten.

We bought starts this weekend and the current grown-daughter-in-residence put most of them out. The weather here has been like April, but now I look for a late frost.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »

Most super-great techniques for growing food don't work for me. For instance, I'd need at least a hundred 4X4 raised beds to grow as much food as Mel Bartholomew claims he can grow in ten.

Ain't that the truth.  It's never as organized as what Mel seems to do as well. 

We bought starts this weekend and the current grown-daughter-in-residence put most of them out. The weather here has been like April, but now I look for a late frost.

It's been in the 60's and even high 70's frequently lately.  It's normal for it to warm up around valentines day and then get cold again.  We usually get a snow in March.  My peach trees are blossoming which means I likely won't have any peaches this year because if it freezes again...which it will...

All around it's been a very warm winter for us. 

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »

It's been in the 60's and even high 70's frequently lately.  It's normal for it to warm up around valentines day and then get cold again.  We usually get a snow in March.  My peach trees are blossoming which means I likely won't have any peaches this year because if it freezes again...which it will...

Depending on how many peach trees you have, and how long the freezes are expected to last, you may be able to mitigate freezing of your blossoms with either covering, small fires near/under the trees or spraying water in a mist (if I remember right).  There may be other methods I don't know about.  And I have no direct experience with such techniques myself.  It may be worth exploring the various methods...?

If it were me? I'd consider a combination of covering with small fires nearby -- with the fires thing making sense only because the worst danger is usually only for a few hours, at most.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/plantcare/2013/02/protecting-early-blooms-from-frost/

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »

Kathy, my roomie, has an apricot tree out back which should flower next week.
I just throw a clear plastic thin tarp (visqueen) that I use for automotive paint-spray over the tree.
I have to use a ladder as the tree is about 10 feet high. I do half at a time. Only for night time though.
We're at 4000 ft elev. here.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »
Yeah, I suppose a tarp could do the trick.  I actually have a fire pit at the center of my food forest...trees are around the pit.  The closest tree is probably about eight feet from the fire pit. 

A tarp could work though. 

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:57 AM »
2017-03-06 - Driverless shuttles make their debut in San Ramon (California):
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/06/san-ramon-driverless-shuttles-make-their-debut/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Driverless Carz- 3-7-17 Airbus reveals a modular, self-piloting car
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
TechCrunch.com 3-7-17… “Airbus reveals a modular, self-piloting flying car concept”

This seems like such a great idea, and it goes along with what Corey Goode and David Wilcock talked about in the latest Cosmic Disclosure (transcript is here). They mentioned something like this, where eventually the quad props would be replaced by antigravity devices. Corey had this to say on his FB page:

“In a few short years we will be seeing craft like these filling the skies. We spoke of this on the most recent episode of Cosmic Disclosure. CG. Airbus reveals a modular, self-piloting flying car concept…”

And doesn’t “Vahana” sound amazingly similar to “Vimana“? (“a car or a chariot of the gods”)

I could handle that!!! How about you!!?? More detailed information may be found at ItalDesign.

“Airbus… Vahana flying autonomous vehicle project… at this year’s Geneva Motor Show, it’s showing off a concept design created in partnership with Italdesign. The demonstration vehicle offers modular functionality, meaning it an operate both on the ground and in the air, and Airbus thinks it’s one potential answer to the growing problem of urban traffic congestion.

“The concept vehicle is intended to work with others to form a network that can be summoned on demand, with passengers hailing a ride form [from] an app on their mobile device. The capsule-based design can connect to either ground or air conveyance modules, letting customers specific their preferred method of transit. It’s also designed to be used in concert with other, existing transportation methods for maximum efficiency.

“There’s a third part of Pop.Up that ensures this whole project touches all bases when it comes to current tech hype – an interface that will respond and interact with the user in a “fully virtual environment” while in transit. They’ve thought of everything.”

————————————————————

Airbus reveals a modular, self-piloting flying car concept

Airbus has been talking about its Vahana flying autonomous vehicle project for a while now, but at this year’s Geneva Motor Show, it’s showing off a concept design created in partnership with Italdesign. The demonstration vehicle offers modular functionality, meaning it an operate both on the ground and in the air, and Airbus thinks it’s one potential answer to the growing problem of urban traffic congestion.

As you can see, it’s suitably sci-fi in its design sensibilities, but it’s designed with practicality in mind. The concept vehicle is intended to work with others to form a network that can be summoned on demand, with passengers hailing a ride form an app on their mobile device. The capsule-based design can connect to either ground or air conveyance modules, letting customers specific their preferred method of transit. It’s also designed to be used in concert with other, existing transportation methods for maximum efficiency.

Airbus and Italdesign call their creation the ‘Pop.Up System,’ which includes the artificial intelligence platform that uses what it knows about any individual user, and available routes and transit options to determine the best travel options. The main vehicle itself is a passenger capsule, which holds the rider and which can be paired with either ground and air modules, as well as, Airbus suggests, with hyperloop systems down the line once that tech becomes more widely available.

There’s a third part of Pop.Up that ensures this whole project touches all bases when it comes to current tech hype – an interface that will respond and interact with the user in a “fully virtual environment” while in transit. They’ve thought of everything.

Well, except making this thing real: It’s very much still a concept, though its 8.5-foot long monocoque carbon-fibre passenger pod is built-to scale and on the show floor at Geneva, as are the wheeled ground module and quadcopter drone air transit system.

It’s unlikely to ever be ferrying passengers around, at least in this state, and in the near future, but it’s a very cool design that can at least make us want to work a bit harder to get to a place where it is a viable, everyday option for navigating our expanding and increasingly dense cities.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ziaN1xo3CHo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ziaN1xo3CHo&fs=1</a>