AuthorTopic: Spelling & Grammar Gestapo Errata  (Read 3193 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Spelling & Grammar Gestapo Errata
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:14:26 AM »
It was noted today by one of the Diners that I am among the worst of Criminal Violators when it comes to spelling in my posting.  That is actually true for a few reasons.

The first main reason is I simply post up so much more than anyone else.  I have more than double the amount of posts up than anyone else here on the Diner.  So by volume alone, I have more errors.

The next main reason is a corollary to that, which is that in order to post up so much, I often will whip out a post and not check it at all for errors, no proofreading.  Everyone makes errors in keyboarding, so if you want a perfect post on the spelling and grammar level, you gotta proof it before hitting the upload button.

Third issue is that most of my spelling errors aren't really spelling errors, they are TYPOS.  Typographical Errors.  This is partly my fault, sometimes I hit one letter in a word before another so they get reversed, but you also will find missing letters in a word periodically.  That is not my fault (other than not proofreading), it's the fault of the fucking keyboard I currently am using, which has all sorts of problems.  It doesn't register letters sometimes when I hit them, and I don't notice it unless I carefully proof, which as I said I do not usually do.  I'm a single draft writer for the most part, even my really long Blogs I write in one draft.  It's only after I finish a Blog I will go back and look for Typos.  Then, when you proof 5000 words, you tend to miss the typos you made, because as the writer you know what you meant to type and your brain doesn't register the typo, you see it as the word you meant to type.  That is why you should never proof your own writing and why you have editors.  But I don't have an editor, I can't afford one of those. lol.  So my editors are the readers, who periodically make a post telling me I fucked up somewhere, then I go back and fix it.  I don't feel insulted by such corrections.  I'm not a perfect keyboardist and my fucking keyboard isn't perfect either!

English language rules are a bit of a different story than typos though, which is where most of the issues lie in this meta-debate about posting on the Diner.  I make mistakes here periodically as well, often the type of Homonym errors that LD makes.  The THEIR/THERE/THEY'RE one is one I screw up occasionally. Also ITS vs IT'S and WHOSE vs WHO'S.  You tend to keyboard as you speak if you keyboard fast enough, and you don't really give thought to the grammar rules in the spelling or punctuation.  It is only if you go back and re-read your posting you sometimes pick up these errors.  The spell checker does not pick them up, they are all legitimate spellings,just not being used right in a given sentence.  You need a real advanced AI type of spell checker to pick up this kind of error, and SMF does not sport one of those.

Now, why is all this spelling and grammar bullshit important?  Well, because we are communicating via text, not talking to each other.  We don't have the body language, voice intonations and so forth to work with in this medium.  We depend on the rules of the English Language to be understood as best as possible by each other as to what we meant to say.  So you try to do the best you can with this.

Don't be insulted if one of the SG Squad makes a correction to one of your errors, it's not an insult to your intelligence.  English Language spelling and grammar are quite a difficult thing, and as LD has noted really require a ton of memorization to be correct all the time.  You get better at it the more you read and the more you write and the older you get, but nobody ever gets perfect  at it.  Just strive to be as good as you can, and if you get corrected by one of the SG Squad, note it in your memory bank and try not to make the same mistake again.  By the time you die, you may be a perfect speller!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Farmer McGregor

• Bussing Staff
  • Microfarmer
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling & Grammar Gestapo Errata
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
...Typographical Errors.  This is partly my fault, sometimes I hit one letter in a word before another so they get reversed, but you also will find missing letters in a word periodically.  That is not my fault (other than not proofreading), it's the fault of the fucking keyboard I currently am using, which has all sorts of problems...
RE
I struggle with the same problem, a keyboard that never fully recovered from a coffee spill.  Took it apart and cleaned it out, but now some buttons never work, others when they feel like it.  The worst one is the left-side shift button, so I have to always use the right-side shift key which is awkward.

I find the whole SG business to be all in fun, an opportunity to razz other Diners (and to get razzed).  Only when someone is being picked on or seems defensive does it become inappropriate.

As for you, RE, you're a friggin' typing machine.  Typos are inevitable when your fingers are bloody stumps.
For years we have let ourselves believe that as long as we have money we will have food. This is a mistake. The government will bring forth no food by providing hundreds of billions of dollars to the agribusiness industry.  --Wendell Berry after the 2008 crash

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »

I find the whole SG business to be all in fun, an opportunity to razz other Diners (and to get razzed).  Only when someone is being picked on or seems defensive does it become inappropriate.

I find it to be fun as well.  Seriously.  I don't mind the corrections...in fact, I welcome them.  As a writer I would like to be able to employ the Queens English without fuckin' it up.  If y'all point out all of my homonym errors than eventually I will stop making those mistakes. 

Palloy was just being a dickhead.  So I cussed him.  But I apologized for that already  ;D  He still has not acknowledged the apology.  I suspect it's because he does not like me for some reason.   :dontknow:

Maybe he has a problem with foxes? 

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »

I find it to be fun as well.  Seriously.  I don't mind the corrections...in fact, I welcome them.  As a writer I would like to be able to employ the Queens English without fuckin' it up.  If y'all point out all of my homonym errors than eventually I will stop making those mistakes. 

Palloy was just being a dickhead.  So I cussed him.  But I apologized for that already  ;D  He still has not acknowledged the apology.  I suspect it's because he does not like me for some reason.   :dontknow:

Maybe he has a problem with foxes?

He's deeply embedded into the 3rd dimension.
When we resonate past that point there's electro-magnetic friction
between beings, and walls come up. Welcome to my world.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »

As for you, RE, you're a friggin' typing machine.  Typos are inevitable when your fingers are bloody stumps.

I am going for the World Record for number of words stored on the Google servers written by a single human being in a lifetime.  I don't know where I am at now, in the millions somewhere.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »
Everyone seems to want to argue some more, so OK.  RE insists on not mentioning the simplest method to better (not perfect) spelling - looking for red underlines before you click Post.  "I often will whip out a post and not check it at all for errors, no proofreading." - gee, thanks, RE, now everybody will do likewise.

This is ESPECIALLY necessary if you have a sticky keyboard, being a bad typist, or any other of the pathetic excuses he mentions.  Every mistake means the readers have to break their concentration (which is on following your line of reasoning), say to themselves "the idiot obviously means CAT, not CTA", and then resume reading.  It may not seem to matter, but it does - the reader absorbs less of the meaning every time this happens.  If it happens too often, then the readers say "I'm not reading this crap any more" and switch to something else.

That's always assuming there IS any significant meaning in what gets written here, which is becoming increasingly unlikely.  I can't remember the last time anyone said "Oh, I see what you mean now" as a result of being persuaded by someone else's reasoning.
The list of people I don't read at all is now AG, UB, AZ, LD.  I think I'll go walkabout, and maybe find some adults to talk to.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
Everyone seems to want to argue some more, so OK.  RE insists on not mentioning the simplest method to better (not perfect) spelling - looking for red underlines before you click Post.  "I often will whip out a post and not check it at all for errors, no proofreading." - gee, thanks, RE, now everybody will do likewise.

This is ESPECIALLY necessary if you have a sticky keyboard, being a bad typist, or any other of the pathetic excuses he mentions.  Every mistake means the readers have to break their concentration (which is on following your line of reasoning), say to themselves "the idiot obviously means CAT, not CTA", and then resume reading.  It may not seem to matter, but it does - the reader absorbs less of the meaning every time this happens.  If it happens too often, then the readers say "I'm not reading this crap any more" and switch to something else.

That's always assuming there IS any significant meaning in what gets written here, which is becoming increasingly unlikely.  I can't remember the last time anyone said "Oh, I see what you mean now" as a result of being persuaded by someone else's reasoning.
The list of people I don't read at all is now AG, UB, AZ, LD.  I think I'll go walkabout, and maybe find some adults to talk to.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »

This is ESPECIALLY necessary if you have a sticky keyboard, being a bad typist, or any other of the pathetic excuses he mentions.

I don't think my excuses were pathetic.  I think they were GOOD excuses! :P

Insofar as people emulating my bad habits of not proofing my posts, you only get to do that if you post as much as I do.  It's a Special Privilege for voluminous posters.  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:35:08 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »

This is ESPECIALLY necessary if you have a sticky keyboard, being a bad typist, or any other of the pathetic excuses he mentions.

I don't think my excuses were pathetic.  I think the were GOOD excuses! :P

Insofar as people emulating my bad habits of not proofing my posts, you only get to do that if you post as much as I do.  It's a Special Privilege for volumnious posters.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Sounds reasonable ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
so Palloy...question...

did you post that post twice because of the glue pot?

Or was it just the glue pot got the best of you? 

glue pot :emthup:

apparently it makes shit better.  Still, apologetically...you can suck it :hello: :pirate2: :jerk: :thefinger:

:Benny_monkeysmilies:

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »
LD, your post was funny - almost as funny as AZ's.  Don't you have anything going on in your life?  No snow that needs chainsawing?

No, I connect to the internet via satellite, which loses its signal whenever it rains hard (like this morning).  Then I have to wait until it connects again, then close my VPN tunnel, open a new VPN tunnel, then redo what I was doing when I lost the signal (like Post).  Sometimes that results in double-posting.  Satellite is still better than copper wire, which sometimes goes out for DAYS in the wet season.  No cell tower in range.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 01:13:05 AM »
LD, your post was funny - almost as funny as AZ's.  Don't you have anything going on in your life?  No snow that needs chainsawing?

No, I connect to the internet via satellite, which loses its signal whenever it rains hard (like this morning).  Then I have to wait until it connects again, then close my VPN tunnel, open a new VPN tunnel, then redo what I was doing when I lost the signal (like Post).  Sometimes that results in double-posting.  Satellite is still better than copper wire, which sometimes goes out for DAYS in the wet season.  No cell tower in range.

The vagaries of life for a geek in the tropical rainforest.   ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 01:21:22 AM »
When it comes to grammar and correct spelling one thing to bear in mind are people who speak/read English as their second language. Often a native speaker maybe able to discern a misspelt post or workout incorrect grammar but this is something more challenging to a non-native speaker. To a native speaker a poorly constructed post can be seen as a sign of laziness and not giving enough respect to the reader but to a non-native speaker the effects are more profound. This is because not only does the previous points apply but in addition it can significantly impair their ability to comprehend a post which can lead to more misunderstandings. Incidentally this is one of the pitfalls of using gonzo language as this slang (coupled with copious amounts of abbreviations) make it difficult for people outside English speaking countries to understand. If you want to maximise audience on the diner then this use of language would be an area of consideration. Saying that I don't think this language effect would be all that great but nonetheless gonzo language is a barrier however small it maybe.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 01:31:28 AM »
When it comes to grammar and correct spelling one thing to bear in mind are people who speak/read English as their second language. Often a native speaker maybe able to discern a misspelt post or workout incorrect grammar but this is something more challenging to a non-native speaker. To a native speaker a poorly constructed post can be seen as a sign of laziness and not giving enough respect to the reader but to a non-native speaker the effects are more profound. This is because not only does the previous points apply but in addition it can significantly impair their ability to comprehend a post which can lead to more misunderstandings. Incidentally this is one of the pitfalls of using gonzo language as this slang (coupled with copious amounts of abbreviations) make it difficult for people outside English speaking countries to understand. If you want to maximise audience on the diner then this use of language would be an area of consideration. Saying that I don't think this language effect would be all that great but nonetheless gonzo language is a barrier however small it maybe.

Give up the Gonzo?  Not gonna happen.  That is what gives the Diner its unique personality.  :icon_sunny:

Far as the Acronyms go, we have a Glossary.

Non-native English speakers will just have to muck through the mess.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 03:28:53 AM »
Give up the Gonzo?  Not gonna happen.  That is what gives the Diner its unique personality.  :icon_sunny:

You win some and lose some with Gonzo. Such is life and the decisions we make. In the end it is the best to go what you feel is natural. ;)