AuthorTopic: Phillip Farruggio Op-Ed  (Read 8391 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
…Or May the Heavens Fall
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
…Or May the Heavens Fall by Phil Farruggio now UP on the Diner Blog!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Phillip Farruggio
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »
PF

I think you are saying what a lot of people might be thinking about Manhattan and Wall St. People who believe that Nostradamus 1, could predict the future and 2, can be interpreted say he predicts NY will be destroyed probably by a Nuc missile.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stooge Time: Scripting the Empire
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 01:58:15 AM »
Stooge Time: Scripting the Empire by Phil now UP on the Diner Blog as the Election Day Article.

I postponed my followup to Subway Swan Song now titled Bayman Beachfront Blues until Wednesday to put up something election related here today.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Farruggio for President 2012 …solutions to save our nation
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:18 AM »
Farruggio for President 2012 …solutions to save our nation   now UP on the Diner Blog!

Overall, not a bad platform, but it does have some problems.

1-If you tax the living shit out of the Rich, they will head offshore even more than they already have.  You need Capital Controls to prevent them from exiting with the money.

2- If you eviscerate the War economy, you gotta replace it with something else.  If you shut down all those foreign Army Bases, you need to find employment for all the solodiers who used to be emplooyed in keeping the Empire running.

3-Once the Troops are removed from MENA, HTF do you keep OIL fowing from there to here to keep Happy Motoring going on?

Just a few of the probems with the platform.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Farruggio for President 2012 …solutions to save our nation
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Farruggio for President 2012 …solutions to save our nation   now UP on the Diner Blog!

Overall, not a bad platform, but it does have some problems.

1-If you tax the living shit out of the Rich, they will head offshore even more than they already have.  You need Capital Controls to prevent them from exiting with the money.

2- If you eviscerate the War economy, you gotta replace it with something else.  If you shut down all those foreign Army Bases, you need to find employment for all the solodiers who used to be employed in keeping the Empire running.

3-Once the Troops are removed from MENA, HTF do you keep OIL flowing from there to here to keep Happy Motoring going on?

Just a few of the probems with the platform.

RE

I think the issues you highlighted could be solved bar the first one. Although the chances of any of these solutions being implemented are close to zero. I will elaborate further:

2- If you eviscerate the War economy, you gotta replace it with something else.  If you shut down all those foreign Army Bases, you need to find employment for all the solodiers who used to be employed in keeping the Empire running.

It can be argued that the large military industrial complex is a form of Keynesianism spending. As Keynes liked to highlight: this form of spending does not lead to prosperity and nearly none of the goods produced help the wider economy in any meaningful way. In fact much of the goods produced can actually lead to reduced economic output in other countries through destroyed infrastructure and other associated war time costs. Moreover the amount of spending needed for each military job is higher than if the government decided to provide a job in another industry.

Now I aware that it is almost an impossibility that the US government would spend vast amounts of money employing a large chunk of the population in industries that could be provided by the private sector. The idea sounds too close to communism for anyones liking but let us just entertain this thought and take this as a academic exercise. All those military grunts - could in theory - be sent into jobs to that improve the infrastructure of the US. Such jobs would increase the output of the general economy by subsidising the businesses that would use the improved infrastructure. If that is not a satisfactory answer then perhaps the idea of a reverse engineer lab or school teaching people how to live beyond the industrial age would be a better use of that money. If you can teach people to be more independent and be less dependant on the system then the power of the pigmen would diminish. As a result the idea of taxing them to oblivion would be more realistic as society would need them less, and if other societies see a society thriving without the milk of the pigs then the pigs days (and demands) would be numbered.

3-Once the Troops are removed from MENA, HTF do you keep OIL flowing from there to here to keep Happy Motoring going on?

The US could still obtain its oil through the markets as normal. The Arabs may try to play hardball without the US military leaning on them but let's not forget that despite all America's economic woes they are still the biggest customer for foreign oil. The Arabs need to balance their books with those oil sales so they can pay off their citizens with perks. If they shunt the US the price of oil will drop and they will be fucked. The US therefore could still bully its buyers by its economic clout much in the same way that supermarkets can bully its farmers into giving them the price they want. What is more the US is a large food exporter to the said countries. Should they decide to stop trading oil the US can stop trading food. It would not take long before the Arab nations are back at the negotiating table after such an embargo. On top of this the US would still be the reserve currency of the world so that is another thing that would work in their favour. They are unlikely to lose reserve currency status even without an army.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:42:13 PM by monsta666 »

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »
What!? Monsta you are suggesting using CFS and we cant have that, Halliburton would not be happy.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
It would be an interesting experiment for sure to see how the Oil-Food trade would work itself out in the absence of the BAM, but the main problem is most of the MENA States are artificial constructs and are unlikely to hold together very well as the BAM loses its ability to control the various factions inside these places.  Exactly who you would be dealing with in "buying" the Oil would be hard to figure out.  Who has control over the production facility this week?  Who will bomb a pipeline next week?  How many Pirate Ships would be Cruising the Straights of Hormuz looking to Hijack Tankers?

As Smedley Butler wrote in "War is a Racket", his JOB was to make it SAFE for corporations like Dole to operate inside South American countries, and make sure the profits from the sale of Bananas went to Dole.

All trade has always had its Enforcement Division, going right back to the Roman Legions of course.  In the Colonial Era, eventually it was the British Navy which controlled the High Seas.  The period where no single Military controlled the trade routes was the period of least trade, that would be the Dark Ages.

The Dollar is already in trouble, and about the only thing propping it up is the BAM.  Weapons Manufacturing is probably about the last form of Heavy Industry the FSoA still has a large Export Market for.  Keeping the War Games going is BIG BIZNESS and a large part of the FSoA GDP.

It would of course be an interesting experiment to take the whole BAM and convert it Lock-Stock&Barrel to building Windmills and Hydroponics facilities while decommissioning all the Nukes and shipping the Spent Fuel to Antarctica and reinvent an entirely new Economy this way, but of course that is more Pie in the Sky and is highly unlikely to occur.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
It would be an interesting experiment for sure to see how the Oil-Food trade would work itself out in the absence of the BAM, but the main problem is most of the MENA States are artificial constructs and are unlikely to hold together very well as the BAM loses its ability to control the various factions inside these places.  Exactly who you would be dealing with in "buying" the Oil would be hard to figure out.  Who has control over the production facility this week?  Who will bomb a pipeline next week?  How many Pirate Ships would be Cruising the Straights of Hormuz looking to Hijack Tankers?

I would agree that for a time, long time even, a military presence was required to secure trade routes but they are not needed today. While I am not well versed in the history and the precise formations of the various Arab states I do recognise they were formed largely by artificial means after the fall of the Ottoman empire and these states are therefore unstable for this reason. However these matters would largely be internal affairs and so long as the US was selling arms or paying the right politicians there would be no need for them to physically build bases in the said regions. Just look at the situation in Syria, the country is propped up by Russia/China supplying Assad with arms. No need for a military presence just give the right people the weapons so they can distribute their own justice. If that example is not good enough look at China. They do not have a huge foreign military presence yet they have been securing much trade in Africa and the middle-east by following a policy of checkbook diplomacy. Much cheaper than the military diplomacy the Americans like to use with less "blowback" to boot.

All trade has always had its Enforcement Division, going right back to the Roman Legions of course.  In the Colonial Era, eventually it was the British Navy which controlled the High Seas.  The period where no single Military controlled the trade routes was the period of least trade, that would be the Dark Ages.

I would agree this is probably largely true furthermore since my knowledge of history is not so good I am not well versed in the connections between the military and trade. However I would say this modern age is a little different to the one in the past as we live in a much more globalised economy where no one nation is truly autonomous. Each country is dependant on another either for energy, food or other basic goods/services. If a nation where to act out and start irrational wars they would likely be blocked by the international community and thus suffer drastically. It is this reason why the EU was originally formed and stopped major wars developing in Europe. If each major nation is dependent on another for energy, resources the incentive to war is far less. This is what has largely stopped wars in this period. Not saying this dynamic will play out indefinitely but it has been a strong deterrent for the past 50-60 years. Once the countries become more autonomous then I believe we will see more wars and the need to securing trade lines with military force would be greater but that time has not come yet. That is just my opinion however.

Offline LongshoremanSon

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
An Army of Marley's Ghosts
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
An Army of Marley's Ghosts

{To properly understand this fable, one must know the Dickens's story of
 Scrooge. Either read the novel, or watch the fine film 'A Christmas Carol '.
 }

It was Christmas season once again. If one is really still and perfectly
 quiet, looking up into the sky above, imagination makes way for an absolute
 reality... One that we seldom ever sense. Through the ceiling of powder blue
 ( or gray, depending on where you live ) up past any cloud cover or ozone
 layer, if our focus flows further into the outer spaces.... There it is!
 Some call it Heaven, or Nirvana, or the Central Sun.... Whatever turns you
 on!  And much was going on this Christmas season for us mere mortals. The
 elders were restless. We can fast forward into a council chamber where many
 of the adepts and higher souls were in session. Let's listen in:

Lord Krishna - Well, you all know what is going on down there in our realm
 of focus. Do I have to rehash the obvious?

Jesus The Christ - We get it. What in the heck are they doing to each other
 down there!?

Mohammed - Boy of boy, my followers are allowing such a minute number to
 lead them down that path of violence....

Moses - Oh, and you think it is only your followers. What about my Israelis?
 Did they not learn anything from their holocaust?

Lord Krishna - OK, OK, listen, we all get it. My followers shame me with
 their disregard for what Gandhi preached.... And gave his mortal life for.
 Please... I am so disappointed!

Jesus The Christ - Well, I guess if the shame and disappointment is to go
 around, I get the largest share. My followers have been doing this
 throughout the world for centuries.

Lord Krishna - I think it is time for us to act. If we do not intercede,
 these fools will destroy their planet and create such terrible karma. We
 have to take the next step. Let's look and see what the Creator just cooked
 up down there:

It was Christmas Eve. Georgie Bush, known as Junior Bush, was restless in
 his attempt at sleep. He had tried everything to get himself to relax....
 Nothing worked. Suddenly, he heard the weirdest noises. It almost sounded
 like.... heavy chains dragging along the floor. The sounds got louder and
 louder. He looked over to Laura, and she was deep asleep. What in the hell
 was going on!?

He sat up. As he rubbed his eyes, he could feel the presence of something in
 the room. Then a flash of the brightest of bright lights almost blinded his
 tired eyes! It stood there, not more than ten feet from his bed. What!!? It
 was a figure, wrapped in heavy chains from neck to feet .... NO.... How
 could it be....? Ronald Reagan!! Yes, it was Reagan, or, more appropriately,
 Reagan's Ghost.

Junior Bush - Am I dreaming! What in the hell is going on!?

Reagan's Ghost - What are dreams? What is real? Let me tell you Georgie.
 What is real is what we do in this dream called life.It is too late for
 me.... Well, let me say it is very late for me, so I must walk in between
 your world and the next one carrying the chains of my indiscretions and evil
 deeds.

Junior Bush - I didn't think you were all that bad. I thought you did good
 deeds. You gave us all hope to be a great country again.

Reagan's Ghost - No! I allowed myself to be used and manipulated by sinister
 men who cared only for greed and power. I gave away our economy to the very
 rich and ruined things for the working stiffs. I came from a working stiff
 background, and I dishonored my own people. I created wars of aggression for
 the oil interests. I let the banking con men destroy our free enterprise
 system... Oh, come on son, you must realize deep inside that you have done
 even worse than me.

Junior Bush - Well, I listened to my advisors. You know it was my daddy who
 pushed me into this whole president thing. I was happy enough being governor
 and getting to go to the gym and work out and hang out without any
 pressures. Dick and Rummy and Condi and the others, they ran the government
 for me. I was just the point man.

Reagan's Ghost - You must take responsibility for what you have done,
 Junior. The attacks and occupations, unwarranted, on Iraq and Afghanistan.
 The torture, the utter devastation of million of lives, of cities, of
 cultures. The giveaways to the cronies of you and your daddy. Junior, I have
 seen your chains- the ones that await you when you pass over. Repent son!
 Repent!!

And so it was, on this Christmas Eve night. Wall Street financiers were
 visited by men who were called the Robber Barons from the Gilded Age.
 Truman's ghost visited President Obama, telling him how he was led astray by
 his advisors to drop not one but two deadly Atomic bombs to frighten Russia,
 and then create the National Security State. Allen Dulles's ghost visited
 Don Rumsfeld. Cheney received Joseph Stalin's ghost.... And on and on
 throughout the night. All those who were of the highest classes
 economically, politically and militarily had to deal with ghostly
 apparitions carrying heavy and noisy chains. By Christmas morning, just as
 with Ebenezer Scrooge in the novel, 'Peace on earth and goodwill to men
 'circled the planet. A new year would bring an end to greed, corruption,
 hypocrisy, hunger, wars etc.

Lord Krishna - Well, that was nice. It is good to see that the power of love
 can triumph over the dark forces... And, of course, the threat of heavy
 chains around their necks for who knows how long a time! How many of you
 guys will be at the New Years Eve party? Lucifer has some new tricks and
 schemes for the folks down there to ponder and consider.

PA Farruggio

Christmas 2012

{Philip A Farruggio is son and grandson of Brooklyn, NYC longshoremen. He is
 a free lance columnist (found on TheSleuthJournal.com, Information Clearing
 house, Doomstead Diner, Op Ed News, Dandelion Salad, Activist Post,
 Dissident Voice and many other sites worldwide). Philip works as an
 environmental products sales rep and has been an activist leader since 2000.
 In 2010 he became a local spokesperson for the 25% Solution Movement to Save
 Our Cities by cutting military spending 25%. Philip can be reached at
 paf1222@bellsouth.net }

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
Dear Mr. Longshoremanson, Well, I've really gone and done it this time so you can give me any kick in the ass you want. First, I will never be the writer and crusader and indefatigable worker for justice that you have been and are. I totally lack patience, experience, hopefulness,energy, brainpower or any social standing whatsover among my no longer existing peers. As a baby I played the straight man to a couple of power houses once in some teach ins early on but then I retired early to protect my pregnant belly from the police. After that, when I came up for air I remissfully  fled the field to pursue what I thought was a more immortal calling. Where two paths diverged in a wood, I did not not choose yours or Jefferson's sir, and obviously that has made all the difference. Hopefully, I can now draw on that "life experience" to in some small way contribute to the cause, but of course not if I continue to offend many people with my vitriol and iconoclasm cloaked in abstruseness at times. With very sincere respect, I honor you for your work, your paper and your presence and voice here. Please do not go away.This is a good place and we all need a person such as yourself. Please excuse my dismissal and rudeness. Snowleopard was a very kind friend and interpreter for me,and if I might learn from you how this apocalypse is to be narrowly averted, I would be most grateful. Sincerely, Karpatok