AuthorTopic: Trump signs bills overturning Obama-era education regulations  (Read 653 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
In this case, El Trumpo doesn't go far enough!  The entire Public Education system needs to be SCRAPPED and rebuilt from the ground up.

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/03/27/trump-signs-bills-overturning-obama-era-education-regulations/?utm_term=.c16fc0080eb4

Education
Trump signs bills overturning Obama-era education regulations
By Emma Brown March 27 at 4:43 PM

President Trump signed bills Monday overturning two Obama-era education regulations, continuing the Republican majority’s effort to undo key pieces of the previous administration’s legacy.

Trump’s move scraps new requirements for programs that train new K-12 teachers and rolls back a set of rules outlining how states must carry out the Every Student Succeeds Act, a bipartisan federal law meant to hold schools accountable for student performance. In a signing ceremony at the White House Monday, the president hailed the measures for “removing an additional layer of bureaucracy to encourage freedom in our schools.”

Leaders of the Republican majority claimed that the accountability rules represented an executive overreach by former president Barack Obama. Democrats argued that rescinding the rules opens loopholes that states can use to shield poorly performing schools from scrutiny, especially when they fail to serve poor children, minorities, English-language learners and students with disabilities.

Local Headlines newsletter

Daily headlines about the Washington region.
Trump signs four bills rolling back Obama-era rules
Embed Share
Play Video1:17
President Trump on Monday signed four bills that rolled back certain regulations involving labor, federal control of lands and education. (Reuters)

Civil rights and business groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, also opposed doing away with the rules. The measure to repeal the regulations passed easily in the GOP-dominated House, but barely made it out of the Senate on a 50 to 49 vote, mostly along party lines.

The teacher-preparation regulation, which stemmed from the Higher Education Act, required states to issue annual ratings for training programs within their borders. It was meant to ensure that novice teachers enter classrooms more prepared, but it was broadly unpopular from the start. Teachers unions said the regulations wrongly tied ratings of teacher-training programs to the performance of teachers’ students on standardized tests; colleges and states argued that the rules were onerous and expensive, and many Republicans argued that Obama’s Education Department had overstepped the bounds of executive authority.

Both sets of rules were overturned using the Congressional Review Act, a rarely used law that empowers a new president and Congress to overturn regulations promulgated during the last 60 days of the previous administration.

Read more:

Congress poised to overturn Obama-era education regulations

Senate scraps Obama rules on school accountability

Senate overturns teacher-preparation rules
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Trump signs bills overturning Obama-era education regulations
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »
In this case, El Trumpo doesn't go far enough!  The entire Public Education system needs to be SCRAPPED and rebuilt from the ground up.
RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/03/27/trump-signs-bills-overturning-obama-era-education-regulations/?utm_term=.c16fc0080eb4

Education
Trump signs bills overturning Obama-era education regulations

Oh, by all means. Blow it all up, turn block grants back to the states, where republican governors can ladle the boodle to their friends. And the next generation? What could possibly go wrong?

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »

Oh, by all means. Blow it all up, turn block grants back to the states, where republican governors can ladle the boodle to their friends. And the next generation? What could possibly go wrong?

I never said anything about turningn block grants back to the states.

So how would you fix it?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:06:34 AM »

So how would you fix it?

RE

The last thing I would do would be to turn public education funding into boodle for charter school entrepreneurs.
I do not pretend to have a "solution," because I am not sure of the problem. But I can spot a thief. And anyone who advocates for "privatization" is a thief who will pry the fillings from your mouth.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:53 AM »

So how would you fix it?

RE

The last thing I would do would be to turn public education funding into boodle for charter school entrepreneurs.
I do not pretend to have a "solution," because I am not sure of the problem. But I can spot a thief. And anyone who advocates for "privatization" is a thief who will pry the fillings from your mouth.

I have been seeing the Trump administration as the "Mafia" of Governance. With Steve Bannon propagandizing the Donald all day with destroy all government, move in the corporations, give the underbelly of our society jobs that pay $10 bucks an hour, and create great wealth in our country.  :icon_scratch: If the unwashed resist too much , great, we will have boosted the police forces, and private prisons galore. Now we can make even more money by paying the prisoner's $2 an hour for making useless products that everyone needs.
I just am wondering if they can come up with anything that the congress and senate will pass. Pretty soon we will start seeing hits on stubborn legislators, and judges until they get the boys  ( and a few women )  who have been offered "an offer they can't refuse". I don't think the Donald and "crew" can just say your "FIRED" if they resist them. I do not see any evidence that they will change the agenda to "Make America Great Again", the slogan of despots.
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com