AuthorTopic: Global Collapse Issues  (Read 1937 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
New Method Discovered for Cross Posting via Paper.li!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I have discovered a new method to cross post the work of other collapse bloggers from around the net without getting cross posting agreements, using the paper.li newz aggregator system!  Best of all, it is FREE!

Using paper.li, I can get the aggregator to  collect links with a pic of any article I choose, and then I can copy paste the html to a blog post.  Or actually 2-5 of them on a given day.

So, on the Homepage of the Diner on days I don't have a Blog from myself or another native Diner or a signed on cross poster, I can drop one of these compilations on which link back to the blogger's own blog for the reader to read the whole story!  I can also pull these links from MSM sites without violating any copyright laws!  :icon_sunny:

I will probably demonstrate the technique next week sometime.  I have plenty of content in the queue, so I don't need to use this method too often, but it should serve to make our Collapse Newz Aggregation services more widely read.

h/t again to Surly for discovering the paper.li site.  A real find.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OWS Makes the Headlines Again!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
OK, not the MSM, in the April 1, 2017 Issue of Global Collapse Issues.

Who is that young woman getting arrested by the Gestapo? ???  :icon_scratch:  Surlyette!  ;D

I'm thinking of changing the name of the newzpaper to "Surfing Collapse" since so far the collapse.global website idea has flown like a lead balloon.  :(

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: NEW! Diner User Defined Automated Newz Aggregation Sites! FOR FREE!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
I like that format.  Was it entirely automatically generated?  Sometimes just taking the first hundred characters from the start of the article for the summary doesn't work, like with "I want it all".  This is the key decision point for clicking, and if it's totally baffling as to what it is, that's a fail.  But maybe the editor can put something else in there instead if it doesn't read right?

It seems a duplication to put a link to the Blog, where you can either read and optionally comment on it, or follow another link to the Forum where you read and optionally comment on it.

A simple visual break between articles would help - ]hr[
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
I like that format.  Was it entirely automatically generated?  Sometimes just taking the first hundred characters from the start of the article for the summary doesn't work, like with "I want it all".  This is the key decision point for clicking, and if it's totally baffling as to what it is, that's a fail.  But maybe the editor can put something else in there instead if it doesn't read right?

It seems a duplication to put a link to the Blog, where you can either read and optionally comment on it, or follow another link to the Forum where you read and optionally comment on it.

A simple visual break between articles would help - ]hr[

The pic thumbnail and the excerpt are auto generated.  You have no ability to modify that inside paper.li, although once you capture the html you can modify that, which I did in order to left justify the thumbnails.

You could also easily space them out more or put in a line break if you wanted to spend more time modifying the html.  Most folks would not do that though, even if they know how. Takes a couple of extra minutes to do those changes.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »
I'm pondering a mobile format, accessed with https://m.doomsteaddiner.net , but I really don't know how people use their phones to surf.  Do they use it in landscape format or portrait?  My cheapo mobile is 800x480 or 480x800, but it expect others have more.

The SMF software seems to be able to handle being squeezed down to width=800, but at height=480 you get this:

and even height=700 doesn't get to what you want:

There's 78 images (at least) right there.  Each one generates a request to the web server, effectively saying "I have a image file dated dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss in my cache, does it need updating?", to which the web server says "304: you have the latest version".

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm pondering a mobile format, accessed with https://m.doomsteaddiner.net , but I really don't know how people use their phones to surf.  Do they use it in landscape format or portrait?  My cheapo mobile is 800x480 or 480x800, but it expect others have more.

Configuring SMF for mobile has been done. Check out the links.

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Alright, that's good.  I think "responsive" means it can tell what size screen you have, and change itself accordingly.  Presumably that includes when you change the orientation of the device.  Mind you, cramming that much stuff into width=480 probably makes things too small to read, and the icons too tiny to click, but I suppose that means you zoom it.

It really needs someone who is used to using a phone for browsing to try out some of them.  The only stipulation is that it MUST say it is tested on SMF v2.0.13 .

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues Volume 1 Issue 5 - Sunday, April 2, 2017
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
Global Collapse Issues Volume 1 Issue 5 - Sunday, April 2, 2017

You'll notice that this is YESTERDAY'S edition of GCI, not the current one.

This is because until the new edition comes out (every 24 hours), each edition doesn't get a unique URL.  The URL for the current edition always brings up the latest paper.  So if you are referencing a particular story it probably won't be in there unless the reader clicks your link within the 24 hours of the current edition.  So what I do in making any links to GCI is wait until the following day so I have a unique URL to use for that issue.

While the current issue is up, you can manually add whatever stories you like to that edition, and they will always be there in the archives for the day you added them.  That includes videos as well.

What I do each day is add 3 articles from the Diner Archives so that each day's paper has links to the Diner.  Why 3?  Because it takes 3 articles to push the first one to the very top of the page in the right hand column.  Then I add 1 or 2 videos from the Diner YouTube channel as well.  So now the page is nicely sprinkled with Diner links, along with the automated content the paper.li bots supply each day more or less custom tailored to topics you pick out from their list.  This process takes me about 10 minutes per day, not an outrageous expenditure of time overall.

Another thing you can do to improve variety is change out the topics you want to focus on in a given edition.  So for instance, on Sunday you can pick a Climate bot and then on Monday the edition will feature Climate stories.  On Monday, you change that to a Geopolitics bot, and then Tuesday's edition will feature political stories.  And so on through the week as often as you wish to change it, up to all 7 days.  You can also select multiple bots on a given day, and then your paper will have a sprinkling of each of those topics.

Besides this method of custom tailoring, you can also set up as many free papers as you like, each focusing on a different topic.  I have 9 different ones set up at the moment, although I am mainly only curating the GCI one at the moment.

Your main limitation overall is that if you want to embed your paper on a website (like the Diner), you have to buy a premium package which costs $9/mo or $99/year.  That package is only good for ONE of your papers, not all of them in your account.  Surly bought a package which is the current Doomstead Diner Newz you see on the Diner Blog Newz  page at the moment that he is curating.  I am still debating with myself whether I want to invest still another $10/month for a premium package as well to add to the Diner Newz Page selections.  I'm already up to somewhere like $80-100/mo when you take into account the server, the security package, the URLS, the Soundcloud package etc.

I will say that if any regular Diner Newz Hound in good standing invests the $9/month for a premium Paper, I will add that to the Diner Newz Page on the blog.  Your selection of stories, you're Editor in Chief of your own Paper.

If you want to stick to the Freebie, I will drop a link to your paper on the Paper.li site on the Diner Newz Page.

Overall, this system works better than our current system of pasting individual newz links into the forum, although I still do that as well because for regular Diners it's easier to read an article right in the forum than to go offsite.  However, some sites (like CNN) just don't copy/paste very well, so you have to go offsite for those anyhow.

OK, that's the latest update on how paper.li works and how you can use it in your Collapse Newz Aggregations.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues 4/3/17
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
Global Collapse Issues 4/3/17
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:37:29 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues 4/5/17
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:10 AM »
Currently Up on Global Collapse Issues

Next Issue up in 4 hours (if I am awake)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues 4/7/17 Early Edition
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »

GCI 4/6/17 Final Edition

4/7/17 Final Edition
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:13:48 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Global Collapse Issues 4/7/17 Final Edition - 4/8/17 Early Edition
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »

GCI 4/7/17 Final Edition

GCI 4/8/17 Early Edition
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Angkor Wat’s Collapse From Climate Change Has Lessons for Today
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
From today's issue of Global Collapse Issues

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/angkor-wat-civilization-collapsed-floods-drought-climate-change/

Wonders of the Mekong
Angkor Wat’s Collapse From Climate Change Has Lessons for Today

How Water Built and Destroyed This Powerful Empire
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kollapsnik Newzbots 6/11/17
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
Kollapsnik Newzbots 6/11/17

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN