AuthorTopic: Coming of Age in the Age of Oil  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coming of Age in the Age of Oil
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Or rather SS won't be around by the time you become eligible, why don't you apply for SS disability now, in light of accepting your condition as it is?

Offline pansceptic

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »
I may as well bring some of my Coming of Age in the Age of Oil to the potluck.

As I grew up in the Deep South in an agricultural area; kids were still expected to earn their keep.  Consequently, I got my first Drivers' License at age 14.  No typo, fourteen.  Kids were expected to drive a tractor and a load of hay on public roads while their elders did more important things, and so we did.  My first observation: most kids now in the US are denied a useful role in the economic functioning of their family, and so do not get to develop their sense of responsibility, nor learn that getting something worthwhile requires effort and sacrifice, nor that for most folks money is hard to get, and some should therefore be saved for later.

When I was 15, my father bought me my first car, a Dodge Pioneer.  But that Pioneer didn't do any sodbusting; it was mostly so I could haul my younger brother and sisters to school and back.  It also happened to be a 4-door with a spacious back seat; in retrospect I'll guess my dad also hoped that would help along my sex life.  But as it turns out I'm an Aspy, and so pretty clueless with girls; it would take a lot more than an uncool car with a cavernous back seat to get me laid!  But I did still dutifly cruise on Saturday nights, hauling my buds instead of girls.

Fourteens are not obligated to drive like fools...while I did a few stupid things I never did crash that car, and handed it off to my sister when I went off to college.   Not for nothing Bar Mitzvah is at 13 in a rural society...

A word as to why Goldgen Oxen and I have our belief in Precious Metals.  When I was 15, sometimes there would be a gasoling "price war", and if I snapped a quarter down on the counter, it would buy me a gallon of gas.  Make that...a SILVER quarter.  So, will that quarter still buy me a gallon of gas?  Well, lets see...tomorrow I can take that same quarter to my local friendly coin shop, and he will give me about $6.00 for it.  Yup, it will still buy me a gallon of gas, and a bag of chips for the driver, too.  So I guess it's also safe to say I Came of Age in the Age of Cheap Credit, which requires a steady state of currency inflation in order to provide the additional currency to pay the vigorish...

I then went off to college, on a full ride scholarship at Michigan State.  Michigan was at the peak of its glory, and could afford to hand out money even to good ole boys from Mississippi.  I was still in Lansing when the 1973 oil embargo hit Michigan lke a ton of bricks.  But the foreign car invasion had already started and The Handwriting Was On the Wall for Michigan.  So I'm afraid that Michigan's investment in my education did not work out for them; a couple of years later my wife and I sold our house in Lansing and Got the Hell Out While the Getting Was Good.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
I never did have much luck chasing tail. LOL. Too shy for that, too "serious". But I've noticed of late, the more I dance through life, the more I find women watching me.   ;) As to getting laid, somehow I expect to do better in that regard in my forties than I ever did in my late teens and twenties. A man can hope. As long as they are still making condoms, that is. Or the repubs outlaw them, in their zeal for GOD and GROWTH. Though I expect they will stop making cars before they stop making condoms. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
Who said anything about blame, RE? There's no blame, as it will be no blame when the young will have their way with the old. Blame? What a strange concept. They will do it because they can, just like the generation before had done it because they could. As I said above, the only moral concept that would separate us from yeast, would be ensuring the perpetuation of the species. When this is compromised, all bets are off.

Ah, but there IS Blame, just it isn't generational, it is trans-generational and the Blame goes to those folks running the show, who eventually will be found and diemboweled and made to PAY for the Sins of all those who came before them.

Far as the Young having their way with the Old, obviously you never listened to Phil Ochs "I Ain't Marchin Anymore".

Quote from: Phil Ochs
It's always the old who lead us to the Wars
It's always the Young to Die.

Lotta young folks gonna end up as Cannon Fodder here.

Far as down the pipe goes, in real tough times in an H-G society, Infanticide is practiced and in fact even young children who can't keep up are left behind along with Old Folks. The only ones who make it through are the strongest in their prime, and hopefully conditions are better the next year and they reproduce again.

Anyhow, lotta dieing of young and old alike going to come down the pipe here for a while.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pymA5f0XiUk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pymA5f0XiUk</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
As to this essay, in greater detail, I think this is more of what the Doom crowd needs, people waxing nostalgic of having had the very great gift of a life in the Age of Oil, in full context, without the shame and the guilt, what the fuck is wrong with everybody. Nice addition to, to the "it's really ALL about sex" meme. Made me lament a little too, that I was such a clueless, shy homebody who couldn't quite figure out why everything was so WRONG. Made me want to live a little more fully in the waning time before TEOTWAWKI, open up a bit more to human touch. You're right too, NOTHING about the industrial model scales out, generations out, not trains or any of it. I liked your vision about those HAV bikes and the wind powered trains, but the road thing is a MAJOR issue, and I don't expect there to be much of ANYTHING very orderly about the decline of Industrial Civilization.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »
Hunter! For Gods Sakes. Where are all those Wendys in Minneapolis. At least you know that the hungry ones are goin to cum a knockin at your door for somethins to eat with all that garden 'n all and then there'll they be, locked in that little nest of yours, cozy and warm as a drum, all four or five of them. Can take your pick. And you'll be the Windy one then.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
Karpatok,

Don't know any local Wendy's, and none know me, as far as I know. All the young single women in my neighborhood walk on the other side of the street, from this Food and Medicinal Jungle. I did put thirteen Wendy's in the house next door, in my post-apocalyptic novel. Very sexy and Bad Ass. As for 4-5 Wendy's living here, in the event of wide-spread food shortages, they better bring something more than tail.  :laugh:

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Hunter: I really was fascinated by your very wonderful writing. Unfortunately i don't have any extra money to buy books at the moment. I collect a lot of what the library is giving away. Now listen to me. When there is somebody interesting walking down the opposite side of the street, you cross the street and accidentally bump into them. And you can use the word "tail" here in the Diners garbage pail, but don't ever use that word with the kind of woman you want to meet. Have a little CFS and don't get carried away with the testosterone of the diner. And buck up, Sonny, the best is yet to come if you play it right. No matter what they say. And I know where you live Mr. WHD and it isn't in Minneapolis Your other sister KK.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Karpatok,

I'm pretty sure I haven't used the word tail in that context since I was in college 15 years ago, if I ever did then. Little likelihood I will use it again in that context for another 15 years. As I say on my blog, I am in service to the Goddess. 

As for my books, no need to buy, such as they are, all free to read online or download, @ www.WilliamHunterDuncan.com, Progress Interrupted being the novel in question.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
When there is somebody interesting walking down the opposite side of the street, you cross the street and accidentally bump into them.

Actually it's not quite so EZ as that, since most women have a Defense Mechanism up when they are out on the street and they won't talk to guys who "accidentally" bump into them.

I realize however that this is somewhat metaphorical, what we are really talking about here is how to get females who you meet under more normal circumstances interested in you.  A few things help in this regard.

1-Physiological Characteristics: Being Tall and Good Looking is a Big Help.
2-Money: Being Rich is a Big Help
3-Smooth Talker: Being able to chat easily is a Big Help

These are all pretty relative things overall, for instance while Interrailing I was "rich" compared to the Eurotrash, even though I got my money by saving up 2 summer's worth of work as a Child Laborer. LOL.  I was however Dirt Poor compared to the Kraut with the 50' Beneteau who wanted to get into MY Pants.  Sadly for him, he was not a Smooth Enough Talker to convince me, even after a few drinks.

There is also a lot of dependence on your "Standards".  If you want to Bang High Maintenance Ford Models, you are pretty much SOL unless you have Beaucoup Buckolas.  Far as the Average Female goes, if Fat & Ugly isn't a problem for you, you have a lot more possibilities out there.  LOL.

And you can use the word "tail" here in the Diners garbage pail, but don't ever use that word with the kind of woman you want to meet. Have a little CFS and don't get carried away with the testosterone of the diner. And buck up, Sonny, the best is yet to come if you play it right. No matter what they say.

"Tail" is a pretty mild colloquiallism overall, I can think of plenty more crude ways to express this concept.   :icon_mrgreen:  I do agree though it's not a word you want to use in your Pick-Up Patter.

Far as the "Best" being yet to come, perhaps for some, not for me though.  The Best is all locked up tight in my Memories, which I intend to hold onto right across the Great Divide.  :icon_sunny:  No matter how bad it gets, all I have to do is close my eyes and I am back in that Venice Bed & Breakfast with Ingrid.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 03:38:05 AM »
Quote Pansceptic "I may as well bring some of my Coming of Age in the Age of Oil to the potluck."

What a wonderful posting. You have a gift for easy friendly writing sir.

Hold on to those silver quarters for as  long as you can, nothings changed but the speed.

It was a pleasure to meet you.                   GO

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coming of Age in the Age of Oil/re PIGMAN HORSESHIT
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »
What an unmitigated load of Pigman culture bullcrap as pontificated from a self made wheelchair demonstrated in reply#34.

Offline pansceptic

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »
Golden Oxen, thank you for your compliment!  I seldom get praise, and value it all the more from a wise elder  :icon_sunny:

Hold on to those silver quarters for as  long as you can, nothings changed but the speed.

I haven't always done so; I came up with the down payment for that 1st house in Michigan by cashing in the silver halves I had pulled out at face from rolls of halves despite being a Starving Student.  But it was OK; we sold the house for a profit  ;D  I am now blessed to have no need to cash out my "junk" silver, and don't intend to distibute them until general society really understands their importance.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
Hunter! For Gods Sakes. Where are all those Wendys in Minneapolis. At least you know that the hungry ones are goin to cum a knockin at your door for somethin to eat with all that garden 'n all and then there'll they be, locked in that little nest of yours, cozy and tight as a drum, all four or five of them. Why take your pick? And you'll be the Windy then, won't you?

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:13 AM »
Furthermore, not to mention Germany whose rails were the finest for commuting, inEastern Europe,the part of Europe that I was most familiar with, most people could not afford automobiles because their country had been held back from the "glorious development " in the West. Remaining in small settlements and "undeveloped" they remained close to the land, animals, nature, clean water, un GMOed fake food, their ancient traditions and practices, without all the stress of "foreigners " being forced upon them by those know it all academic do gooders insisting on a forced acceptance of multiculturalism, an imbecilic and delusional ideal if there ever was one.When the dirty polluted cities have fallen, these same settlements will continue on with their lives as they have done for millenia. In the dumbed down US OTOH, where nobody knows which way is up, where nobody remembers yesterday much less one hundred years ago and where very few even know what real soil is, who knows what will happen. Starvation I guess, and I really could care less. Because you reap what you sow.