AuthorTopic: We need peace  (Read 5538 times)

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
We need peace
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
I am deeply saddened by mans ability and desire to harm his fellow man in more heart wrenching and cruel ways. I personally have seen nothing but the best of times relative to much of  humanity, having lived in a free, safe, peaceful and prosperous society, and yet I fear the worst of times lay ahead for all mankind. We have indeed seen some of the best of humanity and a lot of the the worst of humanity on display this week.

It is already hard enough as a parent to come to the rational conclusion that your children will inherit a much worse future than I inherited from my parent, let alone think of the possibility of seeing one of then reduced to a shattered bloody pulp by the meat grinder of war we all too often embrace.

I am not a religious person; I am an atheist who sees no evidence of a gods; yet I daily wish for intervention from any source either natural or supernatural to this most horrendous self inflicted malady of man, and indeed all life on earth. Were I a believer  I would pray for peace. I am not, so I sit here late at night at my computer and it hope for sanity instead.

On the eve of another deadly day I ask all of the people who read this to tell me what I can do to help untie the knots of war we seem to be tying. Every day I see the politicians pulling on the rope making the knots tighter, urged on by the ignorant, injured or profiteers of such wars.
It is not right.
It is not just.
It is not fair.
It is unethical and immoral to condone, encourage or ignore.
War is planned by the old, directed by the middle aged and paid for by the young with their lives.
Anyone who has seen first hand the demonic vision that is modern warfare would do all in their power to to extinguish the mere spark of a conflict before it could ignite the tinder and kindle the flames of war.

Mankind needs to find a way to peace. I am an ex-soldier who is lucky enough to not ever have to put my military training in to practice. Please believe me, we do no want war.

We need peace.

Edwin said it better than I ever could.

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
War, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
Ohhh, war, I despise
Because it means destruction
Of innocent lives
War means tears
To thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go to fight
And lose their lives
I said, war, huh
Good God, y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
War, it ain't nothing
But a heartbreaker
War, friend only to the undertaker
Ooooh, war
It's an enemy to all mankind
The point of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest
Within the younger generation
Induction then destruction
Who wants to die
Aaaaah, war-huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it, say it, say it
War, huh
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again y'all
War, huh, good God
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
War, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker
War, it's got one friend
That's the undertaker
Ooooh, war, has shattered
Many a young mans dreams
Made him disabled, bitter and mean
Life is much to short and precious
To spend fighting wars these days
War can't give life
It can only take it away
Ooooh, war, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Listen to me
Peace, love and understanding
Tell me, is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way
Ooooooh, war, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
You tell me
Say it, say it, say it, say it
War, huh
Good God y'all
What is it good for
Stand up and shout it
Nothing

JOW

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: We need peace
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Missiles, worse than bombs. Impersonal, indiscriminate megadeath. There is no excuse. I too am very saddened. It didn't take much to get Trump turned around on the USMIC.

I think he never was anti-war. He merely was willing to say what someone told him to say. He doesn't really seem to have any values of his own, at all. A very dangerous man, at a very dangerous time.

We are all now at some risk of having a missile land in our living room. Actions always have consequences. The US has been so insulated from the wars of its own making that most people here think of war like it was a video game. It will be different when some pissed-off foreign despot manages to blow up a city or two here.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
I'll post this to the Blog tomorrow.

Besides being vocal and hoping/praying that the jackasses running the show either get some CFS or are struck down by lightning, there isn't a whole lot that J6P can do.  Collapse leads to War, like Cancer leads to Death.

It's happened at least twice before, though not on the global scale.  Still, we are here now, so collapse doesn't necessarily mean the end of all Homo Sap life on Earth.

The Fall of Babylon the Great

1AfterRev. 17:1, 7 these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, Ezek. 43:2and the earth was illuminated with his glory. 2And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, Is. 13:19; 21:9; Jer. 51:8; Rev. 14:8“Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and Is. 13:21; 34:11, 13–15; Jer. 50:39; 51:37; Zeph. 2:14has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and Is. 14:23a cage for every unclean and hated bird! 3For all the nations Jer. 51:7; Rev. 14:8have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, Is. 47:15and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury.”
4And I heard another voice from heaven saying, Is. 48:20“Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. 5Gen. 18:20For her sins have reached to heaven, and Rev. 16:19God has remembered her iniquities. 6Ps. 137:8; Jer. 50:15, 29Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; Rev. 14:10in the cup which she has mixed, Rev. 16:19mix double for her. 7Ezek. 28:2–8In the measure that she glorified herself and lived luxuriously, in the same measure give her torment and sorrow; for she says in her heart, ‘I sit as Is. 47:7, 8; Zeph. 2:15queen, and am no widow, and will not see sorrow.’ 8Therefore her plagues will come Is. 47:9; Jer. 50:31; Rev. 18:10in one day—death and mourning and famine. And Rev. 17:16she will be utterly burned with fire, Jer. 50:34; Heb. 10:31; Rev. 11:17for strong is the Lord God who judges her.

The World Mourns Babylon’s Fall

9Ezek. 26:16; 27:35“The kings of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her Jer. 50:46; Rev. 17:2; 18:3will weep and lament for her, Rev. 19:3when they see the smoke of her burning, 10standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, Is. 21:9‘Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! Rev. 18:17, 19For in one hour your judgment has come.’
11“And Ezek. 27:27–34the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her, for no one buys their merchandise anymore: 12Ezek. 27:12–22; Rev. 17:4merchandise of gold and silver, precious stones and pearls, fine linen and purple, silk and scarlet, every kind of citron wood, every kind of object of ivory, every kind of object of most precious wood, bronze, iron, and marble; 13and cinnamon and incense, fragrant oil and frankincense, wine and oil, fine flour and wheat, cattle and sheep, horses and chariots, and bodies and 1 Chr. 5:21; Ezek. 27:13souls of men. 14The fruit that your soul longed for has gone from you, and all the things which are rich and splendid have gone from you, and you shall find them no more at all. 15The merchants of these things, who became rich by her, will stand at a distance for fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 16and saying, ‘Alas, alas, Rev. 17:18that great city Rev. 17:4that was clothed in fine linen, purple, and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls! 17Rev. 18:10For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.’ Is. 23:14Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance 18Ezek. 27:30and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, Rev. 13:4‘What is like this great city?’
19Josh. 7:6; Job 2:12; Lam. 2:10; Ezek. 27:30“They threw dust on their heads and cried out, weeping and wailing, and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city, in which all who had ships on the sea became rich by her wealth! Rev. 18:8For in one hour she is made desolate.’
20Is. 44:23; 49:13; Jer. 51:48; Rev. 12:12“Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you holy apostles and prophets, for Luke 11:49; Rev. 19:2God has avenged you on her!”

Finality of Babylon’s Fall

21Then a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, Jer. 51:63, 64“Thus with violence the great city Babylon shall be thrown down, and Rev. 12:8; 16:20shall not be found anymore. 22Eccl. 12:4; Jer. 7:34; 16:9; 25:10; Rev. 14:1–3The sound of harpists, musicians, flutists, and trumpeters shall not be heard in you anymore. No craftsman of any craft shall be found in you anymore, and the sound of a millstone shall not be heard in you anymore. 23Jer. 25:10The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, Jer. 7:34; 16:9and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore. For Is. 23:8; Rev. 6:15; 18:3your merchants were the great men of the earth, 2 Kin. 9:22for by your sorcery all the nations were deceived. 24And Rev. 16:6; 17:6in her was found the blood of prophets and saints, and of all who Jer. 51:49were slain on the earth.”
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
J6P has the ability to "NOT FEED THE BEAST" ...... en masse, will it happen ? Only time will tell.

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Intergenerational Singers for Peace on Earth
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b_ReMi7tVWA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b_ReMi7tVWA</a>

I'm old enough to remember seeing Bing and David sing this together live (well, on tape really, on TV)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Intergenerational Singers for Peace on Earth
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b_ReMi7tVWA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b_ReMi7tVWA</a>

I'm old enough to remember seeing Bing and David sing this together live (well, on tape really, on TV)

RE

Me too....  :icon_mrgreen:
Thanx for posting. I guess we are ALL SO FUCKING DONE WITH WAR !!!!!
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Thanks fellas.
Makes me feel a little less despairing that others share my fears and sadness.

Mankind learns from mistakes and then forgets the lessons within a generation or 2. Eventually the mistakes will get so big there will be no one left to learn the lesson.

Peace on earth and goodwill to all men should be universal regardless of colour, creed, religion, country or politics.

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
Eventually the mistakes will get so big there will be no one only a few Diners left standing to learn the lesson.

Fixed that for you.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 07:48:33 PM »
bomb science

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
bomb science

JOW

They'll run out of bombs before we run out of people.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Guest Blogger

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
We Need Peace
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:10:43 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of John of Wallan

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner on March 8, 2017

Discuss this article at the Geopolitics Table inside the Diner

I am deeply saddened by mans ability and desire to harm his fellow man in more heart wrenching and cruel ways. I personally have seen nothing but the best of times relative to much of  humanity, having lived in a free, safe, peaceful and prosperous society, and yet I fear the worst of times lay ahead for all mankind. We have indeed seen some of the best of humanity and a lot of the the worst of humanity on display this week.

It is already hard enough as a parent to come to the rational conclusion that your children will inherit a much worse future than I inherited from my parent, let alone think of the possibility of seeing one of then reduced to a shattered bloody pulp by the meat grinder of war we all too often embrace.

I am not a religious person; I am an atheist who sees no evidence of a gods; yet I daily wish for intervention from any source either natural or supernatural to this most horrendous self inflicted malady of man, and indeed all life on earth. Were I a believer  I would pray for peace. I am not, so I sit here late at night at my computer and it hope for sanity instead.

On the eve of another deadly day I ask all of the people who read this to tell me what I can do to help untie the knots of war we seem to be tying. Every day I see the politicians pulling on the rope making the knots tighter, urged on by the ignorant, injured or profiteers of such wars.

It is not right.

It is not just.

It is not fair.

War is planned by the old, directed by the middle aged and paid for by the young with their lives.

Anyone who has seen first hand the demonic vision that is modern warfare would do all in their power to to extinguish the mere spark of a conflict before it could ignite the tinder and kindle the flames of war.

Mankind needs to find a way to peace. I am an ex-soldier who is lucky enough to not ever have to put my military training in to practice. Please believe me, we do no want war.

We need peace.

Edwin said it better than I ever could.

War, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Uh-huh

War, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Say it again, y'all

War, huh, good God

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me

Ohhh, war, I despise

Because it means destruction

Of innocent lives

War means tears

To thousands of mothers eyes

When their sons go to fight

And lose their lives

I said, war, huh

Good God, y'all

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Say it again

War, whoa, Lord

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me

War, it ain't nothing

But a heartbreaker

Ooooh, war

It's an enemy to all mankind

The point of war blows my mind

War has caused unrest

Within the younger generation

Induction then destruction

Who wants to die

Aaaaah, war-huh

Good God y'all

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Say it, say it, say it

War, huh

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me

War, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Uh-huh

War, huh, yeah

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Say it again y'all

War, huh, good God

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me

War, it's got one friend

That's the undertaker

Ooooh, war, has shattered

Many a young mans dreams

Made him disabled, bitter and mean

Life is much to short and precious

To spend fighting wars these days

War can't give life

It can only take it away

Ooooh, war, huh

Good God y'all

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Say it again

War, whoa, Lord

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me

Peace, love and understanding

Tell me, is there no place for them today

They say we must fight to keep our freedom

But Lord knows there's got to be a better way

Ooooooh, war, huh

Good God y'all

What is it good for

You tell me

Say it, say it, say it, say it

War, huh

Good God y'all

What is it good for

Stand up and shout it

Nothing

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
It is not right.
It is not just.
It is not fair.

Yes, we are no better than the predator animals.
Oh wait, we ARE predator animals, and not moral, ethical, fair and just animals.  Always were, always will be.  It's in our DNA, and maintained by natural selection of the fittest predator.  When a society gets rich enough that selection pressure no longer works to eliminate the non-predator genes from the gene pool, we get all civilised and invent constructs like fairness etc.  But when the selection pressure comes back because of resource limits, predator genes in the gene pool make a come back too.

Without oil and gas, and coal only harvested by hand and transported by donkey, civilisation will not be able to make a come back.

Then when the last few million humans are clinging to life as stone-aged hunter-gatherers, they will still go to war with their neighbouring tribes, killing their men, raping their women, eating their babies and burning their huts, before taking over their territory and using their resources.

Life wasn't meant to be like it is now.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 12:25:02 AM »
You are wrong.
If I as an individual sees injustice then everyone has that capacity.

If you think war is normal go to a war zone or send your children off to die in them instead of other people paying the price for your ideals.

Don't count me as part of your species if this is what you think being human is about.

JOW

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:29 AM »
I didn't say it was my ideal.  My ideal would be a truly socialist utopia where everyone is respectful of everyone else, carefully minimises their use of resources, plans the future to maximise happiness and minimise discord, and generally is fair and just to all humans and all animals, fish, birds, insects and pythons.

What I am saying is that humans, as a whole, have never been like that, and never will be.  Just as chimpanzee troupes will always hunt small monkeys in the forest canopy, humans will always go to war, steal resources, and commandeer other species to eat them.

How long is it since women got the vote in your neck of the woods?  How long since you stopped slavery?  How long since homosexuals got equality?  How long since cows and pigs and chickens got a decent life before being eaten?  How long since African and Asian humans got a fair go? 

Your opinions on what is fair and just only surfaced a century ago or less, after a million years of history, and even now you would lose a vote on whether it is OK to eat animals.  It is not the natural order of things.  Everywhere else in the animal kingdom it is predator and prey, with only the fittest surviving to raise offspring.  When you look at the way humans have lived for 99.99% of their time, they were just the same.  For the last 100 years it has been different for us in the First World, but only at the expense of animals' habitat and other humans in the Third World.

It is impossible to justify all this "flowering of humanity" without recognising that fossil fuels made it all possible, so it follows that when they are no longer extractable, and the trees have all been chopped down and burnt, then we will go back to being a small population of hunter-gatherers, with barely a day's worth of food in store against hard times.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 04:05:17 AM »

It is impossible to justify all this "flowering of humanity" without recognising that fossil fuels made it all possible, so it follows that when they are no longer extractable, and the trees have all been chopped down and burnt, then we will go back to being a small population of hunter-gatherers, with barely a day's worth of food in store against hard times.

I don't think that does follow logically.

There is a certain point in the population size when Homo Saps go from being primarily competitive to primarily cooperative in order to ensure species survival.  This is true of all pack animal predators and herd animals as well.

For Homo Sap, that number is probably close to Dunbar's Number of 150 or so.  Pretty standard Tribal size in the H-G era, although there were bigger ones and smaller ones.

Within the tribe, even pre-civilization, most of the qualities we revere as morally positive were upheld.  Generosity, caring, loving others and of course the Golden Rule, "Do Unto others as you would have others Do Unto you."

Between tribes competing for the land and resources necessary for survival, those qualities are not respected of course.  The other tribe is "other" or "outworlder" and gets no more respect than the animals you hunt for your daily sustenance.  Competition for resources is what forces one tribe to view another one in this way.

Once the population drops low enough though and the tribes are separated by sufficient distance, the cooperative nature of the pack animal will reassert itself.

Granted, the population has to drop substantially for that to occur.

RE
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:34:47 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN