AuthorTopic: Women vs the "End of the World"  (Read 166 times)

Offline CthulhuWins

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Women vs the "End of the World"
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »
The "End of the World" will entail a reversal of social progress. Once women have become property again, men will be the barbarians they have always been throughout history. There's a correlation between resource usage, information creation and flow, and civil rights.

The resources are going away, and then so is the rest. I doubt we'll have many people able to hide on quaint homesteads in such a world.
The key to change would have been to worry women, since they're going to be the huge losers in all this. Strange there's so little silence about it, but few people have the courage to look reality in the face.

Mr. 666 has banned my comments on the Diner (even though my check card has the security code 666, which I can provide proof of just as a Cosmic joke).

You cowards step up and debate me - and you do it now.
Gotta go with the wrench. Because fuck you.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Women vs the "End of the World"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »
CW is still alive and fuming.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:55:01 AM »
Mr. 666 has banned my comments on the Diner (even though my check card has the security code 666, which I can provide proof of just as a Cosmic joke).

Always nice to see a charm offensive. Or another MKing sock puppet.

Good luck with that approach, CW.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »
The "End of the World" will entail a reversal of social progress. Once women have become property again, men will be the barbarians they have always been throughout history. There's a correlation between resource usage, information creation and flow, and civil rights.

The resources are going away, and then so is the rest. I doubt we'll have many people able to hide on quaint homesteads in such a world.
The key to change would have been to worry women, since they're going to be the huge losers in all this. Strange there's so little silence about it, but few people have the courage to look reality in the face.

There has been surprisingly little talk of women's rights in the light of collapsing societies. I suppose some of that may come from the fact these discussions tend to be male dominated. In any case I would agree with your statement that there is a correlation between freedom, equality and resource consumption; greater resource consumption tends to correspond to greater rights for the general public and more equal rights between genders. It is not a universal rule as there are societies where consumption is relatively high but freedoms are low but the converse is not really true i.e. there is no low consumptive society that offers great freedom and equality.

Another dynamic not highlighted in your statement which will exacerbate existing inequalities is the lack of economic growth. Much of the gains of the American middle-class (and by extension the west) was made possible due to the pie increasing so this allowed the possibility of the financial elite to get rich but still leave enough of the growing pie for the masses to benefit also. As growth has declined the enrichment of the elite has increasingly come at the expense of the middle-class and this has generally resulted in reduced freedoms for society in large. If resource consumption lasts, and assuming the system holds to some extent, then it is expected the richest members of society will retain their privileges at the expense of others. In addition to that my other concern is that the social safety nets that are there to protect socially vulnerable people will diminish and in some cases even disappear. With a erosion of protections comes an erosion of rights and even greater inequality and worse abuse from a social, psychological and financial perspective.

Going on from the point of reduced welfare is that the major public institutions will decline in quality. One of the most notable ones being education as the ones who will suffer the most are people who do not come from a privileged backgrounds as their access to education will be reduced. The problem with reduced education is not limited to less social mobility but also results in a population that is more easily manipulated by regressive government regimes. This manipulation will enable governments to impose more restrictions on the rights and freedoms on its people as the probability of the public voting against its own interests increases if they are not well educated and lack critical thinking skills. This enables governments to form more radical social ideologies that are ultimately less effective in creating social harmony and the ones who stand to lose the most in such arrangements are ethnic minorities and women who will be more likely the targets for numerous problems taking place in society. This lack of money and reduced education and other welfare programs that support people will mean it is highly likely historic rights for women will be restored. 

Disclaimer: I did not ban anyone so if that 666 comment is in reference to me then you are mistaken.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:04 AM »
Disclaimer: I did not ban anyone so if that 666 comment is in reference to me then you are mistaken.

Pretty sure that was metaphorical and he was referring to me, not you Monsta.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »

This is the best you have for us ?

Did you wear your finest black & white's whilst creating this literary masterpiece ?

You don't get much sunlight, do you ?
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
Iím a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:20:44 AM »

This is the best you have for us ?

Did you wear your finest black & white's whilst creating this literary masterpiece ?

You don't get much sunlight, do you ?

LOL!!!  :emthup:
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 06:20:05 AM »
Debate what? That women's rights will disappear? That's hard to say.

I do think the kind of faux equality we have now, which is based on the concept that  everyone is equal regardless of gender, race, religious affiliation, and culture, will definitely go the way of the Dodo bird. It isn't real, what we have now. It's an experiment in legislating social justice. These ideas have a lot of support, especially among younger generations, because they've been taught that everyone SHOULD be treated equal. It's part of their basic concept of fairness.

When it can't be perpetuated any longer, that is to say that if there aren't enough jobs for 20% of African-American women to work in government service (for instance) then the current subsidized equality will be degraded.

This will be a slow process as long as BAU persists, in my view. Once there are real breakdowns in BAU, then the whole facade will fold like a house of cards.

But.... there are many examples in history of matriarchal societies. Hunter-gatherer societies were matriarchal in nature. Women derive whatever power they have in such societies from their basic strengths, and not from someone's idea of what should and shouldn't be fair. Women in tribal cultures generally have a large part to play in terms of social and family life, child rearing, and so forth.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.