AuthorTopic: Ghosts in the Forum  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Ghosts in the Forum
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »
On 6th April 2017 12:08 (DD board time, which seems to be California time) some posts started appearing in the forum on old threads, by old Diners: EndIsNigh (6), Chloe (13) and Snowleopard (1).

The first was by EndIsNigh and was a repost of a forum post by EndIsNigh on 9 August 2012. 
It was also posted on the Blog on 12 August 2012, with 2 tags "primitivism" and "rewilding", with a link to forum post. 
It was also posted on the DD-beta blog on 15 June 2015 with a link to the forum post.
(I don't know what state the DD-beta blog is in - it hasn't been updated since Sept 2015)
Some of the posts are complete, some consist of only the quotes in the old post, and others stop suddenly.

It's not obvious WHY someone would think of doing this - it's not fun or harmful.
It is almost as if someone is sending posts using an automated script that is not working properly.
I don't know how they are logging in to the forum, but if the password is shared with their email account password, then hacks of those could be used to run a script to break in to various forums including DD.

Anyway the forum software, SMF, is up to date, and there are no new problems at the SMF Forum running hot.

The offending users have been put on moderation so we can collect the posts.

Please report any other examples in this thread, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:37:21 PM by Palloy2 »
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Ka

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts in the Forum
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
(Just posted this in the Conspiracy thread, repeating it here):

This happened to me some time back, that is, a post suddenly appeared from "Ka" on a long dead thread. I finally figured out that it was a draft I had written but not posted. All these recent posts also look like drafts (which is why they are partial, and repetitive). So I'm pretty sure it is a bug in the forum software that, instead of deleting these old drafts, posts them.

(Some additional details):
As I recall, I never tried to post that draft. Instead, I wrote something else, posted it, and then tried to delete the draft, but was unable to. So it was just hanging around in the database until it just showed up as a post many months later.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Ghosts in the Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
Oh, OK, thanks for that.  I've noticed difficulties with deleting drafts too.  I'll have another look at the SMF Forum for problems in that area.
"The State is a body of armed men."