PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Dream Recollections

AuthorTopic: Dream Recollections  (Read 542 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Dream Recollections
« on: April 30, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »
I've been meaning to start this thread for a while.  I mentioned I often will have lucid dreams where I know I am dreaming.  Not always though, more often they are of the conventional variety, but I do remember them right after I wake up.  However, unless I write the details down right away, after an hour or two I forget them.

This first installment is a recurring dream in the set, but different things happen in each new dream of the series.

The set is my old house in Flushing and my mom is still alive and nearing retirement.  I am living with her again in the upstairs 3 rooms.  However, she is out of money and can't pay the mortgage.  To save the house and us living in it, she sells it to some eccentric guy who wants to renovate it and has a lot of money, but will let her and me continue to live there until she dies.  The first renovation he does is to make himself a studio apartment above the garage for himself.

In today's installment, I am sleeping in bed when a loud explosion goes off that sounds like its in my own room.  I go to the window and see two teenage boys throwing firecrackers on our front lawn which the window overlooks.  The two casement crank windows are wide open, so a firecracker could have been thrown through the window.  I yell at them and threaten to call the cops and they run off.

Then it begins to rain, a heavy downpour and I crank the windows shut.  I go back to sleep but am awakened  by the sound of water falling.  I go to the bathroom where I see a huge leak in the roof over the tub and it is overflowing with water.  The flooding bathroom often repeats in these dreams.  My mom has already been up to the bathroom and there are towels all over the floor and in the tub to sop up the water, however they are all already soaked through.  I tell my mom we need to get the roof fixed but she doesn't have money so we need to talk to the Rich Benefactor (RB, he doesn't have a name) and see if he will push fixing the roof up in his agenda  of renovations to the house.

The next day the weather has cleared, and the RB has apparently scheduled to have a big barbecue on the front lawn, which faces the street on the 4 corner intersection where the house was located at the top of the hill.  The house had only a very tiny back yard, not enough room for the BBQ with a lot of people.  The neighbors on the other 3 corners are generally pissed off that he is having this big BBQ, but our direct next door neighbor who we were friends with is not pissed off, and I suggest we ask them if we can use their back yard.  He says no, we have a right to use the lawn for a BBQ, the other neighbors can go fuck themselves.

I then ask him how much money he REALLY has and suggest he buys the neighbor's property too and then connect the two properties and do a renovation that turns the house into something more like a small castle, with a gated and arched entrance for a car between the two properties.  He does not seem that enthused with the idea but not against it either.

Then somehow we end up in his car, which is a big 1970s style Cadillac  he wants to park in front of the house for some reason, but has to turn around around on the narrow street which takes several back and forth moves to get it turned around and in position to parallel park it.  As he is backing into the space to parallel park, the cars brakes fail and we slide backwards into the intersection going downhill and accelerating.  This is opposite to reality, because that direction was uphill.  We narrowly miss being T-Boned by another car speeding through the intersection, which would have hit the driver's side of the car.  The brakes start working again and before getting all the way across the intersection, the car slows enough so that when we hit a big tree that stood on the opposite corner, the rear bumper takes the shock pretty easily and the car is not damaged.  We breathe a sigh of relief and then he pulls forward across the intersection again now going forward and pulls straight into the parking space.

This installment of the dream series ends here.

Below is a Google Earth screen shot of the location for reference.

RE Home locations
RE Home locations

Locations:

Yellow Star: RE's Bedroom, top Floor

Red Star: Front Lawn

Orange Star: RBs Apartment above Garage

Blue Star: Neighbor's house

Green Star: Sledding Hill (for future reference)

Now, in terms of doing a Freudian style dream analysis of this, I suppose the RB is a substitute for my missing father.  The desire to build a Castle like home represents the need for security.  The leaking bathroom not sure, maybe some toilet training related issue?

Diners are welcome to make their own interpretations of these dreams when I remember to put them up before forgetting them.  You are also invited to share your own dreams for Diner Armchair Shrinking.  ;D

RE
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 06:04:30 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Recollections
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »
You can't find a better activity than journaling to release past emotions for inner personal growth.

I prefer "Monday Morning Armchair Amazon Shaman" rather than "plain old" shrink.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:05:21 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wU0PYcCsL6o&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wU0PYcCsL6o&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
I can't stand Alan Watts.  I used to listen to him on the radio in my early teens on Sunday Mornings, punctuating his philosophy with a raspy smoker's laugh.  Couldn't buy any of it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
That dream is chockful of archetypes. 

Would it surprise you to know I have the same dream?  The house my parents remodeled when I was  seven, now (in the dream) in danger of the roof falling in from lack of maintenance, me trying to figure out how to save it and keep out the rain. My dead father showing up in the dream to help me (Me suddenly happy. Dad, you're back!)

There were no close neighbors to that house (in the country), so when the neighbors show up (nosy assholes) the dream switches to another falling down domicile, the crappy mobile home I lived in as a teenager. In that one my father is still alive, but he is dying of cancer, but still working, because when he dies we will no longer have any means of support. We live in constant awareness of his impending death, which means life as we know it will end.

I think it's a way we have of channeling our own subconscious anxiety about keeping shelter over our heads and food on our plates. And at the same time trying to make sense of the various roles we play along life's journey. First we are helpless dependents, and somewhere along the way most of us become the adults, the providers. We become our parents, more or less. In our dreams it all gets mixed up, who the parents are and who the kids are. If we live long enough we have both those roles down pat, and can play them on the dream stage.

I also have dreams about another house, a great old house that I visited in my early childhood. The house of my father's wealthy mentor and friend, who died the summer before I started the first grade. I once wrote a story about that one. Might have shared it here. Can't remember.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:15:00 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
Childhood Home

Dreaming of visiting the childhood home is a very common dream that allows you to explore and transform the patterning you adopted from the family. Consider the aspects that make the home different from what you remember. These differences are important in recognizing the ways you are different from your family. You are a unique variation of the line you carry forward.

The rooms represent areas of your life that are changing. Since the house represents your 'inner architecture, a symbol of the ideas and aspects of your inner world, visiting the childhood home is a way of re-evaluating some of the belief structures adopted at that point in your life. For example, the front yard may be different, as you test out new ways of expressing your uniqueness in social exchanges aside from what you were taught. Often you will be in the kitchen, since being fulfilled is an important aspect of wellness - and self acceptance often requires that you 'nourish' yourself with the positive reinforcement that could have been missing in childhood.

http://cafeausoul.com/dreams/dreamdictionary/Childhood%20Home

Jungian therapy abounds with house symbols, because they are often central to the meaning of dreams — the house is one of the most common dream symbols.
Jungian therapy

It’s a very rich symbol, archetypal in fact.  Humans seek a secure place that is fundamentally their own in which to live, whether it is the troglodyte’s cave, or the King’s palace.
Our earliest home is the maternal womb, and all our subsequent physical homes carry its shades and tones.  In mythological traditions from all over the world, our first home is a paradise, and we are ever seeking to return to it.

The House as Symbol of Personality
In dreams, the home often symbolizes the dreamer’s entire psyche or personality.  Is the dream house well-kept, or does it appear neglected?  Is it made of solid stuff or shoddy materials — and thus perhaps in need of renovation?  Does the house seem well proportioned?  Are its internal spaces cramped or spacious?

House as “Space” I Occupy
In waking life, some houses clearly symbolize and embody the people who live in them.  So it is in the dream symbolization of the inner world, where houses reflect the person that they contain / are.  Often a house can have different levels, which may reflect different periods of time, or different aspects of the being of the dreamer.  There may be different “rooms” in the house; some familiar, and some unknown, waiting to be discovered.  Jungian therapy knows that the meaning of dreams about houses partakes in the house as a universal symbol, and also in the experiences of the individual relative to the house.

Emotional Power of the House Symbol
Jungian therapy

Houses engender deep emotions in their occupants.   We can have a loving and intimate relationship with a house — or sometimes what seems like an anger or even hate-filled grim struggle.

Dream houses may reflect our inner psychic state — or we may project our inner psychic conflicts onto our outer house in the waking world.  Most of us know the terminally “house proud” individual, whose identity has completely fused with the outer house.

Jungian therapy fully recognizes the deep feelings at play around the house.

The Inner Housing Crisis: Where Will I Dwell?
jungian therapy

We all have to dwell somewhere; this is a truth in the inner world, as much as the outer.  And, as in the outer world, so in the inner: our house has characteristics, and our relationship to it is changed by our choices.

Often it’s a matter of greatest importance for an individual to pay attention to their inner “house”.  Its dimensions and proportions often fill our dreams.  Jungian therapy is very attuned to the theme or motif of the house in the dreams of the individual — especially at times of tension or crisis.  In addition to many other therapeutic techniques, work on the house as part of the meaning of dreams can be a powerful element in Jungian therapy.

Jungian therapy abounds with house symbols, because they are often central to the meaning of dreams — the house is one of the most common dream symbols.
Jungian therapy

It’s a very rich symbol, archetypal in fact.  Humans seek a secure place that is fundamentally their own in which to live, whether it is the troglodyte’s cave, or the King’s palace.
Our earliest home is the maternal womb, and all our subsequent physical homes carry its shades and tones.  In mythological traditions from all over the world, our first home is a paradise, and we are ever seeking to return to it.

The House as Symbol of Personality
In dreams, the home often symbolizes the dreamer’s entire psyche or personality.  Is the dream house well-kept, or does it appear neglected?  Is it made of solid stuff or shoddy materials — and thus perhaps in need of renovation?  Does the house seem well proportioned?  Are its internal spaces cramped or spacious?

House as “Space” I Occupy
In waking life, some houses clearly symbolize and embody the people who live in them.  So it is in the dream symbolization of the inner world, where houses reflect the person that they contain / are.  Often a house can have different levels, which may reflect different periods of time, or different aspects of the being of the dreamer.  There may be different “rooms” in the house; some familiar, and some unknown, waiting to be discovered.  Jungian therapy knows that the meaning of dreams about houses partakes in the house as a universal symbol, and also in the experiences of the individual relative to the house.

Emotional Power of the House Symbol
Jungian therapy

Houses engender deep emotions in their occupants.   We can have a loving and intimate relationship with a house — or sometimes what seems like an anger or even hate-filled grim struggle.

Dream houses may reflect our inner psychic state — or we may project our inner psychic conflicts onto our outer house in the waking world.  Most of us know the terminally “house proud” individual, whose identity has completely fused with the outer house.

Jungian therapy fully recognizes the deep feelings at play around the house.

The Inner Housing Crisis: Where Will I Dwell?
jungian therapy

We all have to dwell somewhere; this is a truth in the inner world, as much as the outer.  And, as in the outer world, so in the inner: our house has characteristics, and our relationship to it is changed by our choices.

Often it’s a matter of greatest importance for an individual to pay attention to their inner “house”.  Its dimensions and proportions often fill our dreams.  Jungian therapy is very attuned to the theme or motif of the house in the dreams of the individual — especially at times of tension or crisis.  In addition to many other therapeutic techniques, work on the house as part of the meaning of dreams can be a powerful element in Jungian therapy.

http://www.briancollinson.ca/index.php/2012/11/jungian-therapy-and-the-meaning-of-dreams-houses.html

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »
Childhood Home

Dreaming of visiting the childhood home is a very common dream that allows you to explore and transform the patterning you adopted from the family. Consider the aspects that make the home different from what you remember. These differences are important in recognizing the ways you are different from your family. You are a unique variation of the line you carry forward.

//
Jungian therapy

RE, there is some potent food for thought in this post. If you accept that dreams are messages from your subconscious to your conscious self, then you own yourself the bucket-work necessary to dig out what they mean.

Archetypes, indeed.

I did some Jungian therapy in my fifties. Some of the most rewarding self-work I ever did.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 02:07:18 PM »
I too have delved in to remembering my dreams, studying Jung, and read many dream interpretation authors. We talk about our dreams here often. The eldest monk would ask each morning "did you dream?" After all the relating the dream to some kind of interpretation, I no longer seem to have that activity. It just faded away I guess, or my life is so boring that there is really nothing to dream about. :) The way I treat my dreams now is to give a quick glance at what I dreamed, and realize that it was again the sum total of my minds content being free of physical demands and the waking state, and just partied however it needed to. I mostly get my "new insights" talking with other spiritual friends, especially the one living here. Whatever way you can deepen your awareness about how our minds behave, is definitely a sign of maturity.
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dream Recollections #2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
New Dream!  :icon_sunny:

Different setting for this one, it starts in a 1 bedroom apartment similar to my current digs, but laid out differently.    The back door goes out the side, not the back.  It also features some Diners!  Eddie, LD and Eddie's wife make it into the dream.

There are more house safety issues in this one as the management is doing construction on the back door area and the temporary door that has been installed during construction doesn't lock or even shut all the way.  I am worried about the construction crew low lifes coming in to steal my computer and my cameras.  When they leave for the day I go up the hill to a big McMansion which is Eddie's house to  discuss the problem and what to do about it.  Eddie is not home, but his wife is.  Her face looks like Eddie's wife but not her body.  She's a much bigger woman, stocky build.  We come up with a plan I should withhold rent until the door is fixed.  I plan to go see management about this the next day, but by the time I make it down the hill, Eddie is at the site with the foreman of the construction crew telling him to fix the door.  Eddie has a lot of clout in the dream because he is Rich!

Eddie is a lot younger in the dream and has young kids.  He invites me to join them for dinner at some big bar restaurant in town.  I agree and then next scene is in the bar which is really crowded and I don't see Eddie right away.  I go to the bar to wait, and have trouble deciding on what to order, finally deciding on a Heineken, which was my beer of choice for many years but I pretty much have lost the taste for it.  LD sits down next to me then and starts telling me stories about the Navy.  One of Eddie's kids finally locates me and I invite LD to join us as well at the table for Dinner.

Eddie's wife tells us now that after Dinner they are going to the Grand Opening of a favorite store of hers and invites us to come to that.  She looks much different now, her body is more like Eddie's wife, a thin wiry runner type, but her face looks nothing like Eddie's wife.  After dinner I go out to look for my car but can't find it, and then can't find any of the people I was having dinner with.  I get worried I won't be able to find them, but then Eddie's wife finds me.  She is still skinny and goes running off to get her car and comes back for me and we drive around to find my car.

The dream ended before we got to the store for the Grand Opening.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »
A new dream recollection!  :icon_sunny:

In this one, returned home to my digs after a month long trip in SaVANnah to my digs.  They weren't my current digs though, it was a 4th floor studio apartment I had in NY Shity.  The door was slightly open and at first I thought I had been burglarized.  Upon opening the door though, inside there is a maintenance man/janitor/maid cleaning my digs with my preps all neatly piled up and doing vacuuming.  I asked him what he was doing there since I had not authorized a cleaning of my digs.  He said he was told by management to come in and do it.  I demanded we go down to building superintendent's office to have this problem resolved.

This is another "invasion of my space" and security issue dream, which clearly preoccupies my mind.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
Dreams are probably one of the best means we have of studying consciousness. They are also a clear manifestation of the modularity of consciousness. For example, there's a reason that the surreal environments and transitions in dreams don't register as illogical though there would seem to be variation here with degrees of lucidity. It's because "the part(s)" of your brain responsible for interpreting sensory input and thinking in a logical way are "asleep". And I put these words in quotes because I don't remember the current neurological understanding, and it's far from perfectly understood in any case.

The point is that dreams help illustrate that "you" are an illusion. Turn off that/those part(s) of your brain responsible for logically interpreting the world, and "you" can't tell the difference. In fact, the brain runs a simulation - a dream - which makes sense because it's similar to what the brain does when you actually experience things, and yet "you" can't tell the simulation from reality, nor that the simulation is bonkers, aside, again, from variations in lucidity while dreaming. This makes "you" seem pretty useless as an "agent" then. Same as "me". I'm pretty sure our waking state isn't that much more brilliant than our dreaming state in a lot of important ways. In fact, dreams could be more intelligent than our waking states in many ways.

Alan Watts was a "nice guy". And an alcoholic, so he had some type of demon. Was it a "nice" demon? The point is that talking nice to people doesn't work. Some people get to feel pleasant. Some want to punch him. Whatever. I think the next Carl Sagan should scare the hell out of people in talking about the Universe. Really shove the Abyss into people and the existential futility of existence - the fact we're nothing more than the Universe taking an infinitesimal blink at itself before it rips itself into darkness and chaos for an eternity.

This is the truth as far as can be extrapolated, so we should come to terms with it rather caulk in the holes with poppycock. There are a lot of old people here, so they should know what that word means. If you don't otherwise know, "poppycock" means "prattle jive".

People simply can't appreciate the mindfuck we've been handed. I think it's time for the "would be" Alan Watts of the world to start splashing darkness into people's faces instead of rainbows. What's delightfully metaphorical is that the Universe is black because it's expanding, otherwise the gas in space would heat up and glow and space wouldn't be black. In other words - we see infinite blackness because the Universe is rending itself into an expanding Abyss. That's the actual point of It. That's the "meaning" of the Universe. The Universe's memories of itself, as embodied in us and our dreams, will not exist for most of the Universe's existence.

I experienced lucid dreaming a lot as a kid, but now experience it rarely. I also become "too excited" or I'm already in the process of waking up or something, but I quickly wake up once I become lucid now. It sucks.

As to the "rundown" environments people are talking about, I've had those all my life since I was a toddler. I didn't have toileting problems, but there were a lot of leaky roofs in my dreams. Not always, but things were usually run down, or haunted (had a lot of dreams in the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining"). I have hardly any conversation in dreams. Not sure how unusual that is. I have a little, but it never seems significant.

When I was three, maybe two years old, I starting having dreams where I was afraid of the baseboard corner ornaments in our house. And yes, I know that sounds rather random. These were shaped like playing card spades protruding above the regular baseboard, but elongated. This is 36+ years ago so hard to recall exactly. The point is that my nightmares of these things transferred into real life. In one dream I peeled the paint off of one and there was an eroded face behind it. In another dream one of them was taller than I was - not good when faces can be behind them. The brain does strange, yet common things.

I also had a lot of tornado dreams. I was terrified of them. I love them now. I could easily get killed chasing them, but it'd better to have one of those "tank" cars people have for filming them.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes