AuthorTopic: NYU ACCIDENTALLY EXPOSED MILITARY CODE-BREAKING COMPUTER PROJECT  (Read 403 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
https://theintercept.com/2017/05/11/nyu-accidentally-exposed-military-code-breaking-computer-project-to-entire-internet/

The articles long & there are lots of graphics so, I'm not re-posting it all.

If your interested click on the link.

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: NYU ACCIDENTALLY EXPOSED MILITARY CODE-BREAKING COMPUTER PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
It's not immediately clear if this super-computer has actually been built yet, or is just in the design/theoretical stage, but assuming it will exist at some stage, it will be a formidable beast.  The thing that caught my eye is a diagram saying it has 128M cores.  Due to the US's odd way of doing things, this might mean 128,000 or even 128,000,000 cores.  PCs typically have 2, 4 or 8 cores.  Moreover these cores are specifically designed to do just one thing, presumably calculating hashes, so are going to be much faster at that.  By dividing the task up into 128,000,000 sub-tasks reduces the problem-solving time by a factor of 227.

BitCoin mining is a similar kind of job, which can be done by multiple tiny computers that only have a USB connection to ports on the controlling computer.

This WindsorGreen computer is what you get when you re-design the whole thing from scratch with a big budget and latest technology.

PGP is safe so long as it uses longer and longer keys - 2,048 bits being the standard and 4,096 bits is available.  No doubt it will be necessary to go to 8,388,608 bits one day.
"The State is a body of armed men."