AuthorTopic: Alaska: Is it Sustainable after TSHTF?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska: Is it Sustainable after TSHTF?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »
You don't want much for your $2,000 /acre - a bitumen surfaced road, a clean river for water, good soil, and I suppose a mail and rubbish service at the front gate, not forgetting internet connections for everyone.   :icon_sunny:

The community in Australia I wrote about the other day, was 4,000 acres with a river running along one side, and a very steep ridge running down to spine, a dirt road 30Km to a two-bit town, used for grazing.  The old grazier and his wife had lived there all his life, with a few other blocks in the area.  Then he died and his widow was selling off the blocks to satisfy the bank (farmers are always in debt). It had got to the "distressed sale" situation, and was bought by a bunch of trendy Sydney-dwellers and set up as a Strata Title (much like your HOA). The local  authorities didn't care about enforcing any rules and in the end agreed to give up a block of land for a portable school. There must be lot of that sort of mortaged failed business sales happening in Amerika. Just a matter of finding it.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 03:07:39 AM »
You don't want much for your $2,000 /acre - a bitumen surfaced road, a clean river for water, good soil, and I suppose a mail and rubbish service at the front gate, not forgetting internet connections for everyone.   :icon_sunny:

Please read for comprehension.

I am not asking for a "bitumen surfaced road", just a dirt trail wide enough I can get a 4-wheeler, my Ewz or a Goat Cart through.

I don't need "rubbish service", all waste will either be burned, composted or humped out of there to some Land of Away area where all the waste goes.

Snail Mail and Deliveries from UPS would be nice, but not likely after TSHTF.

Internet also nice, but not expected after TSHTF.

The river with clean water is an essential though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
The river itself could be the access, as long as theres fairly safe parking at your launch point upstream. Collect old pallets and 10 gallon drums to make 1 way pontoons if the current is too strong to paddle a canoe back up. A 10hp motor would do it though. If there are libertarians on the HOA, you might be able to flout the regulations.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:41:12 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
The river itself could be the access, as long as theres fairly safe parking at your launch point upstream. Collect old pallets and 10 gallon drums to make 1 way pontoons if the current is too strong to paddle a canoe back up. A 10hp motor would do it though. If there are libertarians on the HOA, you might be able to flout the regulations.

I doubt there are any "Libertarians" on the HOA.  Libertarians are only Libertarians until what you do next door affects their Property Values.  These folks all bought these properties WITH the deed restriction.  They only want to live next door to other Single Family McMansion Dwellers.

Your "one-way float" also is a non-starter.  I don't need to build a raft to do that, I could use an inflatable kayak from Walmart.  After I finish my camping trip though, how do I get BACK to SaVannah?  Float further down river to the bridge, then use my smart phone to call a cab?

Motoring a boat to the location is not plausible either.  I could launch the boat in Talkeetna, park Savannah by the Launch Ramp, then shuttle back and forth across the river.  However, the property is NOT on the Susitna River, it is on Trapper Creek, which is a runoff stream from the Susitna and not navigable by boat.  I would still have at least a mile between where I moored on the other side and the property.

Thanks for playing.

RE

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

I doubt there are any "Libertarians" on the HOA.  Libertarians are only Libertarians until what you do next door affects their Property Values.  These folks all bought these properties WITH the deed restriction.  They only want to live next door to other Single Family McMansion Dwellers.

Your "one-way float" also is a non-starter.  I don't need to build a raft to do that, I could use an inflatable kayak from Walmart.  After I finish my camping trip though, how do I get BACK to SaVannah?  Float further down river to the bridge, then use my smart phone to call a cab?

Motoring a boat to the location is not plausible either.  I could launch the boat in Talkeetna, park Savannah by the Launch Ramp, then shuttle back and forth across the river.  However, the property is NOT on the Susitna River, it is on Trapper Creek, which is a runoff stream from the Susitna and not navigable by boat.  I would still have at least a mile between where I moored on the other side and the property.

Thanks for playing.

RE

RE

You mentioned above a river being essential not a creek, i went off the impression it is a river front. Theres no point discussing what type of boat and  float can carry things in or out then. Not having a driveway effectively makes a place remote even if it is close to a city and I dont need to explain why that could be a plus.

Neighbors attitudes to govt control can also determine what you can really do as long as you are not bothering them, as with WHD and the greenhouse, or LD and the 'weeds'. 'You cant fight city hall' if statists are always reporting you.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:45:38 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME