AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 21195 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:27:19 AM »

I don't know how many of you Diners and SUN☼ Heliopaths are aware of this, but on August 21st there will be a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ passing across the entire Lower 48 in a 70 mile wide swath.

This is an extremely rare event, it's the first time since 1979 a total eclipse has crossed anywhere in the FSoA, and the first time in a century that one has passed across the entire breadth of the continent.

By either COINKIDINK or THE FINGER OF GOD,  this eclipse will pass over precisely the area of South Carolina where Heliopaths LD & GM live, and ALSO over the Saluda, NC Lake House we leased for the 2016 Convocation!  The chances of this occuring are of course incredibly small without some Karma or God being involved in it.  It CANNOT be missed!!!!

So I have begun the research to get this Convocation organized.  :icon_sunny:  It comes at a fortuitous time, right after my Hearing on August 16th with SSA.  So I will fly out of Alaska on Aug 17th to arrive in SC probably on the 18th.  It is also right on the eve of my 60th Birthday on August 31st.

My first choice is to rent the Lake House in Saluda again, but I am not too confident this will be possible.  I e-mailed Suzanne directly (not through Air B&B) to see if the dates are available, but I doubt they are.  I looked at every other Air B&B in the neighborhood, and they are all BOOKED for those dates.

So I have looked at RV Rentals, also all BOOKED in Charlotte & Greenville.  However, I found one available in Durham, NC.  I'll drive the mother fucker from TN if I have to anyhow, I am sure I can find one within a day's drive.  I will buy the biggest one they have available, usually a 7 sleeper.  Then LD has his Hemi and the Trailer to use for camping, and if necessary we can pick up a nice big tent from Coleman at Walmart. Then all we need to do is pick the location along the swath we want to go and watch the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN

Let me know if you would like to attend Diner Convocation 2017 for the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ in the next week.  I will be finalizing plans for this trip by then.  Your costs are only what it costs to get you there and feed yourself, unless you want to have one of the bunks in the RV.

I will be there, even if I am by myself.  Unless of course I am dead before then.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcOxhH8N3Bo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lcOxhH8N3Bo</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼/Diner Convocation 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:35:39 AM »
Heard back from Suzanne.  As expected, the Lake House in Saluda is BOOKED for those dates.  :(

Now it is just a question of where I fly to pick up the RV.  I can pick one up anywhere from TX and MO on East.  I can make that drive in a day by myself if I push the envelope, and I am not constricted by a log book on my hours.  Where I make the pickup will depend on whether there are other Diners who want to join me on the drive.  Then where I buy the plane ticket to depends on that.  I can't walk too good anymore, but I still can drive as good as I ever did.  Long as I have the great power of the fossil fuels beneath my right foot, I am still good to go!  :icon_sunny:

If you have interest in doing this drive with me, contact me soon via PM.  I will make the decision on pickup location in the next few days.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:59 AM »
That week I probably will be on vacation with family. I haven't booked it yet, but it's the week I usually go snorkeling. Don't count on me for this convo, it's very doubtful.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:03:40 AM »
That week I probably will be on vacation with family. I haven't booked it yet, but it's the week I usually go snorkeling. Don't count on me for this convo, it's very doubtful.

You would go snorkeling over a once in a lifetime opportunity to view a Total Eclipse of the SUN?  ???  :icon_scratch:  You can snorkel anytime.

Family is :hi: on this adventure of course.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
I heard about the eclipse and the fact is the first one in awhile in America. Unfortunately money is a little tight this year for me to make a visit. If there is a meeting in 2018 I should be able to attend but in any case have fun.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
I heard about the eclipse and the fact is the first one in awhile in America. Unfortunately money is a little tight this year for me to make a visit. If there is a meeting in 2018 I should be able to attend but in any case have fun.

We'll have one in 2018 as long as I am still above ground.  That's the regularly scheduled date since they are Bi-Annual on the even numbered years.  This one is a special bonus due to the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼.

Plans are still morphing at the moment, final location for observation is not set yet.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼/Diner MONO-VOCATION 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:52:38 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMuZBB-TONA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VMuZBB-TONA</a>

This year's expedition to the Lower 48 for RE is BOOKED! :icon_sunny:

After going through many different scenarios such as driving the Al-Can in SaVannah or driving it in my Ford Explorer SUV and leaving that down there as a transportation vehicle for future trips; or taking one or the other on the Ferry from Seward to Bellingham, I finally went with Door #3, I am doing a more traditional Oil Age trip of flying down to Seattle and then renting a vehicle.  I'm not ready to leave Alaska permanently yet, and too many things with SUN☼ are still in flux to be confident of a move in any particular direction at the moment.  I still have my big SSA Hearing on August 16th.  Don't know how that will turn out, so making permanent plans until I have a better idea isn't possible.

However, once that is over with (they want them done in a half hour, I am going to drag it out for at least 2  ;D ), other than the periodic Pro from Dover appointments, I have nothing on my schedule until I file a new appeal with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.  So, almost immediately after I exit the SSA Hearing, I will be heading over to Blue Diamond Long Term Parking to drop off the Ford for a nap while I am gone, and taking the FREE  :icon_sunny: 24/7 Shuttle Bus to the Alaska Airlines terminal to catch a Red-Eye to Seattle.  I leave at 12:05AM Aug 17th.

Main reason for this date is the fortuitous chance of the first TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ in the Lower 48 in almost 50 years, and the first one to span the entire swath of the North American Continent in the Last Century.  I have never seen a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.  It wasn't on my Bucket List because I had no idea one was in the offing any time soon.  When I found out this one was coming and I had the time and the money to go see it, it was a NO-BRAINER.  I had to be there for it.

My initial plan was to make it part of an Impromptu, Unschedule Diner/SUN☼ Convocation, but there was not much interest expressed in doing one this year.  :(  Some people think snorkeling in the same old pool you snorkeled in for the last 20 years is more interesting than a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼   ::) , which if you are lucky and happen to be in the right place at the right time might happen in your neighborhood once in your lifetime.  The path of total eclipse is only 70 miles wide, and to get the maximum amount of time in total darkness, you need to be smack in the middle of that swath.  You get a little over 2 minutes if you are in the ideal location.

Lack of Diner & Heliopath interest also changed my plans for where I would fly to in order to view this extraordinary cosmological event.  I initially wanted to organize it for the Lake House in Saluda in NC where we held Convocation 2016.  Unfortunately, the Lake House was booked for those dates, along with every AirB&B anywhere along the swath all across the Lower 48.  The whole corridor is gonna just be PACKED with Touristas and Amateur Astronomers all along the swath.  So that was a goner even before nobody else was interested in a 2017 Convocation.

My next idea was to rent a Big Ass Bugout Machine to share with other Diners & Heliopaths who made the trip, but there were a few difficulties with that one too.  Except for a very few locations around the FSoA, the Rental RVs from CruiseAmerica (the biggest RV Rental company Nationally) were all already booked.  So this would have been a No-Go also, and had a Convocation been in the offing, it would have had to have been a Tenting situation or a day trip in from LD & GMs place in SC.  They are slightly off the main swath, but only maybe an hour drive from path center.  Even where they are they may get a minute or so of TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.

Once nobody else was interested though, this made things much easier.  Instead of renting an RV, I'm renting a Dodge Caravan Minivan.  I almost went for another Big Ass Suburban, or even more wasteful the Mercedes Luxury SUV to sleep in, but I really don't need either one.  Just enough room to completely stretch out for Nap time.  The Caravan has plenty of room for that.

I am also tying together the trip on a Land Search for SUN☼ from Seattle where I fly into through Idaho and Montana.  I also intend on spending at least one night at Quinn's Hot Springs Resort, which I feature in my How I Survived Collapse novel, as well as at least one night in a campground in Lolo National Forest.  Doing SUN☼ Bizness on this trip means I can charge the trip to SUN☼.  :icon_sunny:  Of course, it's my money anyhow, I'm the only Philanthropist donating any money to SUN☼ these days. lol.

Anyhow, I will be in the neighborhood from Seattle to Spokane to Missoula from Aug 17 to Aug 25 , and for the Eclipse itself on Aug 21 @ ~11AM I will be somewhere along this swath:

If you get a hankering to join me, PM me for my phone number if you don't have it.  You'll have to sleep in your own car or bring your own tent though, I am NOT sharing the minivan! :P

PRAY IT ISN'T CLOUDY!!!!!

My itinerary is as follows:

Traveler Information

RE
Adult    
Add Frequent Flyer number
   Ticketing in progress
Seat assignments, special meals, frequent flyer point awards and special assistance requests should be confirmed directly with the airline.
Aug 17, 2017 - Departure    Nonstop    Total travel time: 3 h 13 m
Alaska Airlines logo    

Anchorage
    ANC 12:35am

Seattle
    SEA 4:48am

3 h 13 m

Alaska Airlines 146

Aug 25, 2017 - Return    Nonstop    Total travel time: 3 h 38 m
Alaska Airlines logo    

Seattle
    SEA 8:40pm

Anchorage
    ANC 11:18pm

3 h 38 m

Alaska Airlines 177

Airline Rules & Regulations

Fares are not guaranteed until ticketed.
    We understand that sometimes plans change. We do not charge a cancel or change fee. When the airline charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you.
    Tickets are nonrefundable, nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.
    Please read the complete penalty rules for changes and cancellations Opens in a new window. applicable to this fare.
    View the complete terms and conditions in the Description of Coverage. Opens in a new window..
    Please read important information regarding airline liability limitations Opens in a new window..

Manage Booking
Additional Flight Services

The airline may charge additional fees Opens in a new window. for checked baggage or other optional services.

Give your feedback to help us make improvements (Opens a new window)

Alamo

Aug 17, 2017 - Aug 25, 2017, Mini Van

Confirmed
Confirmation # 1825618468COUNT
Your reservation is booked and confirmed. No need to call us to reconfirm this reservation.
Pick up

4:00am
    Aug 17, 2017
    Seattle (SEA)
    Shuttle to counter and car
    Open 24 hours

Drop off

8:00pm
    Aug 25, 2017
    Seattle (SEA)
    Open 24 hours

Car rental company logo
Mini Van

Dodge Grand Caravan or similar

Includes air conditioning, automatic transmission

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:59:24 AM »
My life is in transition right now.  I can't commit to anything.  I may be driving OTR by the time of the eclipse.  Hopefully I am at least. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
My life is in transition right now.  I can't commit to anything.  I may be driving OTR by the time of the eclipse.  Hopefully I am at least.

No problem.  That's a more valid excuse than going snorkeling.  ::)

I got no issues with doing a Convocation of One.  I invite other people to these things for their benefit, not mine.  When you live your life as a monast you expect to do things alone.

If you're not yet out OTR on August 21st, you should take the boys to a good viewing location.  You're only about an  hour drive away from max totality.  They may never have another opportunity in their lifetimes.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »

I got no issues with doing a Convocation of One.  I invite other people to these things for their benefit, not mine.  When you live your life as a monast you expect to do things alone.

If you're not yet out OTR on August 21st, you should take the boys to a good viewing location.  You're only about an  hour drive away from max totality.  They may never have another opportunity in their lifetimes.

RE

A friend of mine plans to go to Pisgah national forest to view the eclipse.  If I'm around we will likely go with him to view from Graveyard Fields. 

https://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/graveyard-fields/

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »

RE

A friend of mine plans to go to Pisgah national forest to view the eclipse.  If I'm around we will likely go with him to view from Graveyard Fields. 

https://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/graveyard-fields/

Pisgah National Forest is not on the Central Line of Totality.    Look at the South Carolina map of the track.  You need to be southwest of that in Chatahoochee National Forest.  Also, obviously you don't want to be somewhere the view is obscured by trees.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: RE's Observation Post Nailed Down
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
I have been seeking the best locations for viewing the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ on August 21, 2017, 10 days shy of the 60th Anniversary of my Walking the Earth in this Meat Package.  I have now nailed it down.  Here are some of the best places across the swath to view this once in a lifetime cosmological event.

I will be viewing this from the Snake River Canyon around Idaho Falls.  It's right on the Interstate and EZ to get to with plenty of places to park the Rental Stealth Van.  I may not even overnight park it, just drive in early in the morning.  I'll look for people with RVs setting up Telescopes.  Amateur Astronomers will pick the best spots.  With just a small Dodge Grand Caravan, I should be able to squeeze in just about anywhere.

Snake River Canyon is of course also famous for one of the last of Evel Knievel's EPIC FAIL "motorcycle jumps".  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc</a>

Main thing is to make sure you are not in an area obscured by trees and also to maximize your Clear Skies probability.  This neighborhood in Idaho generally has good clear skies during this time of year.

The other main concern I have is making the VIDEO.  I am going to bring along my Super Duper JVC Sports VidCam that does Ultra-Slow-Mo and video at 240 frames/second.  My goal is to get RE Silhouetted against the Eclipsing SUN☼.  ;D.  However, the exposure settings on this are bound to be tricky, plus I only have ONE shot at it.  If I fuck up or the camera fucks up, no Timeless Video to post on the Diner Blog.  :'(  I won't be able to control exposure settings once I set the camera up and running on a tripod.  I think I can bracket the exposures though.

Suggestions for appropriate filters to use and exposure settings from other Photo Professionals and knowledgeable Amateurs are :hi:.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
This is on my 42nd birthday (meaning of life). I was also born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and the eclipse path is right near there. I just need to score some LSD to make it perfect.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »
I'd be interested in a meetup, but I'd have to see if I can get more than one day off of work. I was just planning on going near Kansas City, which isn't too far since I'm in the middle of Iowa, but it'd be cool if there were more people.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
I will be back on St. John. It won't be total there, but almost. Hope the weather cooperates.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.