PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure

AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 21991 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼/Diner Convocation 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
I will be back on St. John. It won't be total there, but almost. Hope the weather cooperates.

St. John is completely outside the cone of Total Eclipse of the SUN☼.  Loser. :P

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
I'd be interested in a meetup, but I'd have to see if I can get more than one day off of work. I was just planning on going near Kansas City, which isn't too far since I'm in the middle of Iowa, but it'd be cool if there were more people.

If you make it to Idaho, we can run a second camera for stills and monitor the exposure.  I'll switch positions with you halfway through so you can have your silhouette against the eclips also.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
I'd be interested in a meetup, but I'd have to see if I can get more than one day off of work. I was just planning on going near Kansas City, which isn't too far since I'm in the middle of Iowa, but it'd be cool if there were more people.

If you make it to Idaho, we can run a second camera for stills and monitor the exposure.  I'll switch positions with you halfway through so you can have your silhouette against the eclips also.

RE

I'll see if I can get Mon through Wed off. 22 hour drive to Boise for reference so that's doable. I drive to Colorado nearly every month, but that's only 8 hours.

I'm not competent with camera equipment so I'll have to be told what to do if needed. This eclipse is basically my lifetime's birthday present.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »

RE

I'll see if I can get Mon through Wed off. 22 hour drive to Boise for reference so that's doable. I drive to Colorado nearly every month, but that's only 8 hours.

I'm not competent with camera equipment so I'll have to be told what to do if needed. This eclipse is basically my lifetime's birthday present.

Coming in from Iowa on the I-80, the Snake River Valley comes before Boise, so you save a couple of hours there.

If you leave friday after work, you can make the Snake River by Sunday.  Returning, leaving after the eclipse finishes at noon or so Monday, you can make it back by Tuesday night.  You can do it Trucker Legal too.  ;D

RE
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:50:50 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »

RE

Coming in from Iowa on the I-80, the Snake River Valley comes before Boise, so you save a couple of hours there.

If you leave friday after work, you can make the Snake River by Sunday.  Returning, leaving after the eclipse finishes at noon or so Monday, you can make it back by Tuesday night.  You can do it Trucker Legal too.  ;D

RE

That was my exact plan. I just wanted to allow another day, Wednesday, in case of complications or if I get too tired, or wanted to sightsee a few things. I'll ask the boss tomorrow. Driving across Wyoming is a snooze fest. Terrible radio stations too, but I can bring audiobooks or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:00:40 PM by DoctorWhom »
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

RE

RE

That was my exact plan. I just wanted to allow another day, Wednesday, in case of complications or if I get too tired, or wanted to sightsee a few things. I'll ask the boss tomorrow. Driving across Wyoming is a snooze fest. Terrible radio stations too, but I can bring audiobooks or whatever.

How's your car for sleeping?  I will try and find a Bates Motel when I get there, but I suspect every hotel room will be booked no matter how flea infested.  I am planning to Boondock either a  State Park parking lot, a rest area or a Walmart parking lot.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »

RE

RE

How's your car for sleeping?  I will try and find a Bates Motel when I get there, but I suspect every hotel room will be booked no matter how flea infested.  I am planning to Boondock either a  State Park parking lot, a rest area or a Walmart parking lot.

RE

I just rent cars now. Had a small motorcycle, but it got wrecked when I spun out on black ice with it in the back of my dad's truck. Saving for another one. I can sleep anywhere. I slept on the floor for years until recently.

I just asked my boss for the days off. Waiting to hear back. I'm hoping to have my drinking under control by then. With my new jobs I should be able to afford the weed I need. Clear head for me!

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Photographic Planning
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »

I have researched what I need to be able to Photo & Video the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼, as well as watch it LIVE myself.  :icon_sunny:  You need Filters over your eyes to protect your Retina, and a filter over the Camera lens to protect the CCD from getting burned out.  Not during the TOTAL Eclipse part, then you can pull off the filter.  You need it in the lead up and aftermath of the total eclipse. Where I am going, we will get over 2 minutes of a Total Eclipse of the SUN☼, and the whole eclipse timeline I think goes around 1-2 hours, not sure on this I will have to research it more.

The filters you need are REALLY dark gray scale filters which cut out 99.999% of the light hitting the camera lens.  That is REALLY FUCKING DARK!  Commonly available for photo work in bright conditions you get to around 99.9% light reduction, but that just doesn't cut it for shooting straight into the SUN☼.  In searching down these specialized filters, first off they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE if you buy one that is directly fit to your lens size and threading.  $100 a pop there, and I have two cameras I want to use, one for Vid and one for Stills.  That's $200 for a one time use item.  On top of that the two cameras have different size lens opening and threading for filters, so I couldn't buy one filter and use it for both cameras.  That Dog just won't hunt.

So more searching and there are more Generic filters that come in a LOT cheaper, and Kits you can buy that include Glasses for yourself as well as the filter to fit over the camera lens.  The way it looks to me, you can either tape it in place or rubber band it in place.  The kit also comes with a couple of little handbooks on Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ viewing and photography.  :icon_sunny:  I bought two kits from my favorite camera equipment supplier, B&H Photo in NY Shity, where I used to Window Shop as a teenager dreaming of buying the exensive Nikons and all the accessories they had on display, from the massive selection of lenses to the motor drives and all the other parphernalia of a Professional Photographer.  Talk about Boats being a Money Sink, cameras are worse!  You know what the latest Hasselblad top of the line goes for?  Something like $50K!  :o

100MP CMOS Sensor

Continuing the success story of the 50MP CMOS sensor we have added a 100MP option to the range, delivering unmatchable image quality and the ability to resolve the finest detail with our HC & HCD lenses, whose pedigree has long been proven through use with our 200MP Multi-shot systems. The 100MP sensor boasts an incredible 15 stops of dynamic range, allowing for maximum detail to be captured in both highlight and shadow areas. The sheer breadth of tonality that can be captured with the H6D-100c has to be seen to be believed.
New Electronic Platform

The already compelling case for medium format capture has just become substantially more attractive. The entire electronic platform of the H6D has been redesigned with a fast, new generation processor to handle the advanced features of the camera. This improved speed allows a faster shooting rate of up to 1.5 frames per second that can be sustained for longer, thanks to an increased buffer.
Touchscreen

The new 3” high definition rear display boasts touch capability with user customisation options including assigning favourite functions to touch buttons. We’ve increased the resolution to 920K dots and the image display performance delivers clear, colour accurate image reviews and a pin sharp Liveview experience.
UHD & HD Video

Thanks to the redesign of the electronic platform, the H6D-100c is capable of capturing UHD (4K) video in Hasselblad’s proprietary RAW format which can be converted to Cinema DNG in Phocus. HD footage can also be captured in H.264 format which is compatible with all popular editing packages. Coupled with the HDMI and audio facilities, the capture of high quality video output is simplicity itself.
Phocus 3.0

To complement the release of the H6D camera system, our image processing software has been enhanced with additional tools to allow more precise application of corrections.

100 Mega Pixels! hahahahahahahaha.  Unless you are blowing up the image to around Football Field size, what possible need could you have for 100MP? ???   :icon_scratch:

Anyhow, obviously you sacrifice something going for these El Cheapo Kits, The filters aren't Optical Quality Coated Glass, they are some type of coated acetate.  However, first off I doubt any flaws in the optics would be detectible over the web, since I shrink the size of pics these cameras produce anyhow when publishing them.  Anything bigger than 1000 pixels over the web is just complete overkill.  Second, Brand Spanking New right out of the box for a one time use, the filter is not going to get scratched up and marred with finger print oils and dust.  So it should do the job just fine of cutting down the light input to the CCD so the camera is happy with it and the CCD is not fried.  Here's the kits I bought:

Besides the Kits, I also bought some X-tra viewing glasses, so if any Diners come and join me, I'll have glasses for you to use so you don't need to buy your own.  I will be arriving in Seattle and picking up my Rent-a-Stealth-Van on Thu Aug 17th @ 5AM and should be at my location in southern Idaho by Sat Aug 19th to prep for the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ on Mon Aug 21st @ around 11:00 AM.  I will be using the prior day and night to get my aperture settings as best as I can.  Also experimenting with doing time-lapse work, as the whole event goes over an hour and nobody will watch that video!  BORING! I want to compress the event down to maybe 5 minutes of video.

I am currently researching Official Campsites to buy so it won't be a total Boondocking adventure in a Walmart Parking lot.  ::)  If you come, you will still need your own tent and sleeping bag & pad though, I am NOT sharing my Van with anyone! :P  I will update when I have decided on the site and have it secured. 

RE
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:28:25 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼ gets a Home for the Big Event!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
OK!  I secured a Campsite!  :icon_sunny:  No Stealth Boondocking necessary!

Here's the general location:

Solar Eclipse SUN Campground
Solar Eclipse SUN Campground

General terrain looks like Flat Agland.  Should be good viewing without obstructions.  Campsite is primitive dry, but they are providing Porta-Potties.  I had to buy a minimum 4 night stay, 18th-22nd.  I'll probably only be on location myself 19th-22nd.

Now the only question is what will the WEATHER be? ???  :icon_scratch:  It will be a big let down if it's overcast and rainy.  :'(

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Photographic Planning
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »

I have researched what I need to be able to Photo & Video the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼, as well as watch it LIVE myself.  :icon_sunny:  You need Filters over your eyes to protect your Retina, and a filter over the Camera lens to protect the CCD from getting burned out.  //

The filters you need are REALLY dark gray scale filters which cut out 99.999% of the light hitting the camera lens.  That is REALLY FUCKING DARK!  Commonly available for photo work in bright conditions you get to around 99.9% light reduction, but that just doesn't cut it for shooting straight into the SUN☼.  In searching down these specialized filters, first off they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE if you buy one that is directly fit to your lens size and threading.  $100 a pop there, and I have two cameras I want to use, one for Vid and one for Stills.  That's $200 for a one time use item.  On top of that the two cameras have different size lens opening and threading for filters, so I couldn't buy one filter and use it for both cameras.  That Dog just won't hunt.

NASA has an extensive guide to photographing eclipes.

What you want is the ND 100000 filter.
https://www.amazon.com/Marumi-100000-Neutral-Density-Digital/dp/B0068V25JE

That Hasselblad is a fucking thing of beauty, though.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »

I have researched what I need to be able to Photo & Video the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼, as well as watch it LIVE myself.  :icon_sunny:  You need Filters over your eyes to protect your Retina, and a filter over the Camera lens to protect the CCD from getting burned out.  //

NASA has an extensive guide to photographing eclipes.

What you want is the ND 100000 filter.
https://www.amazon.com/Marumi-100000-Neutral-Density-Digital/dp/B0068V25JE

That Hasselblad is a fucking thing of beauty, though.

Yes, I said that.  It cuts out 99.999% of the incoming light.

I also said I wasn't going to spend $100 on something I am only going to use once in my life. Besides that, try finding the filter in 46mm and 52mm sizes.

The kit I bought has filters that are ND100000 for the glasses and for your camera.  It should work OK and only $33.  I bought 2 kits so I have filters for both cameras plus I get two pairs of glasses too!

Blads are cool for sure, but $50K for a camera?  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »

RE

I could not justify it, at the level at which I work, but there are many who could.
I'm having trouble justifying a Nikon 850.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »

RE

I could not justify it, at the level at which I work, but there are many who could.
I'm having trouble justifying a Nikon 850.

There doesn't appear to even BE a Nikon 850 yet.  All the camera shops are selling are 810s.  B&H Photo is selling that body for $2200.  Now that is a reasonable price for a good camera.  My original Nikon F2S Photomic went for around $750 in 1974 dollars.  According to the Inflation Calculator, that's equivalent to $3919 2017 dollars.

That was a truly beautiful camera.

As beautiful and powerful as the technology is in the latest Blads, I seriously doubt the Human Eyeball could detect a difference in shots made by the same Photographer (Say Ansel Adams or Annie Liebovitz) between a Nikon D810 and a Hasselblad H5D at any enlargment up to Billboard size.  You would have to do some sales job on an employer to justify paying for a Blad, particularly since in 2 or 3 years they'll have an even BETTER one out!  When was the last time you got a camera upgrade from the employer?

That aspect was one of the advantages to the old Film technology.  The camera technology didn't change all that much, just lenses and films got better over the years.  The same camera body would last 10 or even 20 years.  My first real SLR camera after Kodak Instamatics was a hand-me-down Ricoh circa 1960 or so from Dad the Pigmen and lasted me until I got the Nikon in 1974.  It was still working fine when I retired it.  I only ever had one lens for it though, a 50mm.  I always coveted having a Telephoto and a Wide Angle for it, but never got them.  I finally got a 70-210 Vivitar Zoom Telephoto for the Nikon which was my Sports Photography lens while I was Photo Editor of the Columbia Spectator.  I was usually in the Darkroom in the wee hours 2 or 3 nights a week developing rolls of film, making contact sheets picking photos etc for the once a week publication of the Spectator.  Newzpaper photography was all B&W in those years.  Film speeds ran up to 1600ASA, but mostly you tried to use 400 or less because the 1600 was pretty grainy.

I also had in those years a Polaroid SX-70, which was the penultimate of Polaroid Instant picture technology.  It had a very clever Fold Up design and was also Single Lens Reflex, although no interchangeable lenses.  For cameras of the era, this made the Polaroid very EZ to carry around for quick Snapshots at family events and so forth.  Giving away snapshots was always welcomed and made you new friends (girls! lol).  These were the "Selfies" of the era.

The new Polaroid film technology got rid of all the messy chemical packages that came with the film itself and the Gel you had to wipe on to coat the paper once the developing finished.  It was color too, unlike the early Polaroid stuff which was all B&W.  The deficiencies of this system were of course many.  Having copies made meant the photo had to be re-photographed which lost some quality.  Then any Enlargement would lose still more quality.  So you were pretty much stuck with just the Snapshot size picture people of the era dropped in Photo Albums full of their Personal Memories.  My Mother had about a dozen of these albums including Pics going as far back as my Great Grand Parents over in Europe in the early part of the 20th Century, my sister inherited them when mom died and continued to curate them, I think she still does.

The Polaroid was really just a Gimmick though, and I only used it for a few years.  The Nikon was my Workhorse, from 1974 until the Digital Revolution came to cameras, sometime in the 1990s I think.  It was just before I went out Trucking I got my first digital camera, a Sony Cybershot not a lot different than an Instamatic except electronic, it did some Zoom (electronic not optical) from Wide Angle to Telephoto and it made VIDS!  :icon_sunny:  In .avi format at the time as I recall.  I can't even find a pic of the original model I had on the net.  I upgraded this camera 4 times since around 1995, 2 more Sony Cybershots with increasingly better CCDs for more Pixels and with Optical Zooms as well, culminating finally in my Samsung El Cheapo WB-250 which I have owned since 2014 but now is on its last legs and getting increasingly erratic and undependable (to be fair, I dropped it a few times over the years.  ::) )

At around the same time I bought the El Cheapo Samsung though, we decided to have the first Diner Convocation down in TX at Eddie's Toothstead, in conjuction with a Monolithic domes building workshop we all attended for a week.  I decided I needed really GOOD cameras to record this Historic Event.  :icon_sunny:  So I went Camera Nuts and bought not one but TWO cameras, the top of the line Samsung NX-300 Mirrorless system with two zoom lenses, one from moderate Wide Angle to Normal perspective, the other from Normal to moderate Zoom.

In ADDITION to this camera though, I ALSO bought a JVC "Prosumer" Sports Video Cam to do Vids with.

Both these cameras are still in tip top shape, and they will be the cameras coming with me down to Idaho to view & record the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ on Aug 21st.  I have on order the Filters I need, and I hope to get decent shots and a decent recording, even though I have never tried anything like this before and will only have one shot at it.  The Total Eclipse itself only lasts around 2 minutes in even the best spots (I have a campsite in one of them in Idaho, my campsite is only a few hundred feet off the DEAD CENTER line of the track), and at the moment I am not sure whether I will have anyone with me to assist or I will have to try and do it all myself.  I am pretty sure I can at least get a few good stills and short video even by myself.  My greatest fear at the moment is it will turn out to be an Overcast day in Idaho!  Acccckkkk!  :o

Despite the fact I own these two really good cameras, over the last 3 years I have hardly used them.  That is WHY they are in such pristine condition.  They spend most of the time sequestered in their very comfortable perfectly sized camera bags I bought to protect them from injury.  Most all of the pics and vids I have taken for the Diner over the last 3 years were done with the El Cheapo Samsung WB250.  I can carry that in the pocket of my Cargo Pants all the time, there's not extra lenses to be lugging about and to take time to interchange and it's not so obtrusive in your face that you are photographing things, which sometimes people object to.  You whip it out of your pocket, shoot a quick pic and it's back in your pocet before anyone notices you took a pic with them in it.

So overall these days for my Photography needs, it's this type of pocketable camera I need, not the semi-pro systems I bought for shooting Big Events.  As mentioned though, the El Cheapo is not working too well and is not dependable any more so needs to be replaced, once again in the world of Planned Obsolescence.  I could replace it with Samsung's latest in this type of camera, the WB-350, and that would be the more economical choice and quite good enough for Diner purposes.  EXCEPT that in the interim Sony has come out with the Cybershot Mark V, which is just the cat's pajamas of pocketable cameras and gets the highest reviews and ratings from every Geek and Camera Buff website out there.  It's about triple the cost of the Samsung, but it's the BEST.  My Cheapskate side is up against my Quality side here in the Battle for all the Camera Marbles.  :-\

I won't be buying any other camera shit though before the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼, what I got is what is coming with me for this trip.  I'll still bring El Ceapo along, it's still working for stills most of the time and is way better than my smart phone for quicky pics.  The TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ will require the full setups with Tripods and the like, and even the Sony Mark V really isn't great for this task, although probably better than most low end DSLR cameras.

All that being said, if somebody bought me a Blad to shoot this with, I sure wouldn't turn that down. lol.  More realistically though, I wonder if there is any way to rent a Blad just for a couple of days to make a shoot, and what that would cost?  ???   :icon_scratch:  Got any info on that Surly?  Sorta the Camera Rental version of renting the Suburban. LOL.  Same price range too.

RE
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:28:24 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
Quote from: RE
There doesn't appear to even BE a Nikon 850 yet.  All the camera shops are selling are 810s.

Waiting for the 850. As soon as I buy an 810, they'll release the 850.

As for rentals, ohyesyoucan! Borrow lenses.com is the place:
https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Hasselblad-H4X-Medium-Format-Camera-with-80MP-IQ280-Digital-Back?source=auto-suggest

Step right up, and pick your lenses. As I recall, renting the Suburban was cheaper.

But you want once in a lifetime-worthy eclipse pix? RAW files are about 80MB (10328 x 7760) each. Big ass files, which you pay for at the other end of your workflow.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 04:59:12 AM »
Quote from: RE
There doesn't appear to even BE a Nikon 850 yet.  All the camera shops are selling are 810s.

Waiting for the 850. As soon as I buy an 810, they'll release the 850.

As for rentals, ohyesyoucan! Borrow lenses.com is the place:
https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Hasselblad-H4X-Medium-Format-Camera-with-80MP-IQ280-Digital-Back?source=auto-suggest

Step right up, and pick your lenses. As I recall, renting the Suburban was cheaper.

But you want once in a lifetime-worthy eclipse pix? RAW files are about 80MB (10328 x 7760) each. Big ass files, which you pay for at the other end of your workflow.

I'll do the best I can with my dip shit equipment.  I just hope I can get anything at all.  Shooting straight at the SUN is something I never tried, and then the aperture changes as the eclipse progresses.  When you are in TOTAL ECLIPSE, you don't need the filter  anymore.  On top of that, you want to Time Lapse it, which I have never done with either of my good cams, although I know they are both capable of it.

Mainly, I am hoping not to completely fuck up and get something usable.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can