PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure

AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 22355 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼/Diner Convocation 2017
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qrriKcwvlY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8qrriKcwvlY&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Biz Cards & T-shirts for SUN & the Diner
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
Since I am now in Full-On Promotion & Plugging mode for SUN☼ and will be doing it LIVE during my travels among the Eclipse Community, I decided I need Biz Cards for sure and maybe T-shirts to sell too.  :icon_sunny:

So I redid the SUN☼ Logo, this time in large format (2500 X 2500 pixels) for good Silk Screening as well as a razor sharp image shrunk down to Biz Card size.

SUN logo 5
SUN logo 5

I already ordered the Biz Cards, on X-tra heavy weight matte card stock.

I haven't ordered T-shirts yet.  Diners are invited to submit Designs for T-shirts here in this thread.  Besides the SUN☼ logo, the T-shirt should feature "Eclipse 2017" on it and perhaps "I WAS THERE" as well.  An Eclipse Graphic might be good too, although it is hard to find any good ones large enough that are royalty free.  I'll probably make one up myself.

T-shirts will be Black with Yellow one color silk screen, so no full color pics in any graphics you include.

Get on the Eclipse Bandwagon!  :icon_sunny:  Even if you can't make it there, this is a real big event, and the Diner will BE THERE to cover it!  With GREAT Camera Equipment too!  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Biz Cards & T-shirts for SUN & the Diner
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
An Eclipse Graphic might be good too, although it is hard to find any good ones large enough that are royalty free.  I'll probably make one up myself.

Not 1, but TWO new graphics for the T-Shirts!  :icon_sunny:

First is the new Eclipse graphic:

SUN Eclipse logo 3
SUN Eclipse logo 3

Then the Path of Totality map graphic with locations in order:

SUN Eclipse Totality map 3
SUN Eclipse Totality map 3

Submit your designs soon, because I'll have to order the T-shirts in the next week or so if I am to get them shipped on time to Brian.

These T-shirts will sell like HOTCAKES!  I will make money on this trip! (yea, right.  ::) )

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Phone Cameras vs Dedicated Cameras
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Let me give you an example of how much better it is to have a proper camera than a phone camera, even if you are just an amateur.

Say your son is the Cleanup Batter for his Little League baseball team.  He's a Big Boy for a 6th Grader, slightly overweight but very good with hand-eye coordination.  He hits Home Runs with some regularity, although he Strikes out fairly often also.  BUT, he only comes up to bat 3 or 4 times a game.

When he does, you get your camera ready on Burst Mode, and you push the shutter down as soon as the pitcher releases the pitch.  The camera is now firing off at whatever the max burst rate is for that cam, mine does 20 frames/second.  One of those frames is going to contain the INSTANT your son's bat hit the ball, in high definition with an image you could blow up to Poster Size and hang on your wall to admire into your dotage years. Not only that, the INSTANT you hear the crack of the bat on the ball, you KNOW this one is going out of the park.  So now you quickly turn and point toward where the ball is going, to deep Left Field, where your friend's son the Left Fielder for the other team is going to try to catch this ball.  As it descends, you press the shutter once again, firing off multiple shots in Burst Mode.  He LEAPS at the Wall, but the ball passes just over his Glove, captured also by your Cam.  Your friend will pay you $50 EZ for a copy of this image.  He would pay more of course if his son actually caught the ball. LOL.

During my gymnastics years, I used gym photography as a source of Xtra income.  At meets, I was bizzy coaching most of the time, but not all the time.  I could take out my camera and shoot a routine and get much better results than the parents did from the bleachers.  In the gym during practice, I had many opportunities to shoot vids as the gymmies acquired new skills.  Parents always wanted copies, and they paid CASH for them.  NO TAXES.

It is thoroughly ludicrous to make the case you can do the same things with a phone cam as with decent equipment, or that equipment doesn't matter.  You just can't.  That's why people will pay money to people who have good cams and know how to use them.

RE
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:35:48 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Phone Cameras vs Dedicated Cameras
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
OK!  :icon_sunny:  I now have a REMOTE CONTROL for the JVC Vid Cam! I can now start and stop the videos remotely via Wi-Fi from ym new Lenovo El Cheapo tablet!

This was rather tricky to set up and wouldn't work with my old Samsung Android phones.  The OP system is just too out of date I suspect.  Also there are issues if you are Wi-Fi connected to more than one network at a time.  So if you are using this system, you need to close your connections to other Wi-Fi networks.

This is a HUGE help for the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN ADVENTURE☼:icon_sunny:  Now I can mozy around the field getting shots with the new Sony, while at the same time making vids from the stationary JVC on a Tripod.  Try doing THAT with a phone! lol.

Besides the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN ADVENTURE☼, this will come in handy for further I Spy Doom Videos.  Now if I want to close a video with SaVANnah driving off into the Sunset, I can set up the cam on a tripod, jump (well, crawl really) into the driver's seat then start the camera with the tablet and drive off, and shut it down again after a 100 yards or so of driving.  Tricks like this should make the vids more entertaining.  You can't do this with a phone either.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »
Im wondering if you really cant comprehend that i never suggested a paparrazi can use a phone cam to see the cavorting on the top floor of trump tower....OR ... you know  damn well its a non issue but just want to argue. Suppose i took the same approach and said its ludicrous you can carry cameras, lenses and tripods in your pocket, you would wonder wtf?! Yeah you know photography and my happy snaps are technically dogs shit, but IM happy with them. Thats the same way mechanics call these Exploders, but to you its sweet melon not bitter lemon.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_explorer.html

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:17:03 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
Im wondering if you really cant comprehend that i never suggested a paparrazi can use a phone cam to see the cavorting on the top floor of trump tower....OR ... you know  damn well its a non issue but just want to argue. Suppose i took the same approach and said its ludicrous you can carry cameras, lenses and tripods in your pocket, you would wonder wtf?! Yeah you know photography and my happy snaps are technically dogs shit, but IM happy with them. Thats the same way mechanics call these Exploders, but to you its sweet melon not bitter lemon.

I am wondering if you can't remember what you wrote in this thread:

They look fine to me and i can still get a better pic of the Eclipse than you by buying a copy of national geographic. The point is whether this years whizz bang getup is appreciably better than last years and whats the depreciation rate. If it was worth anything after 2 yrs it wouldnt get given to me.

Point here is, you can get better shot of the eclipse buying a copy of National Geographic, but YOU and your friends won't be in those pictures!  You CAN'T go on vacation with just a phone and photograph and video the eclipse AT ALL.  You won't have the images afterward to treasure for the rest of your life, or publish on the Diner for other friends to see.  You ALSO can't get the kind of images I can get of your son at the starting line of his race in Oz National Championships with the sweat beading on his brow furrowed in concentration waiting for the Starting Gun to go off and then BLASTING OFF the blocks at full human power.  With my equipment, I can get those kind of pictures.

The implication in your posting was that those of us amateur photographers who like to get as good pics as we can get are wasting our money buying good cameras, when we could just use phones instead.  You CAN'T use a phone to get those images.  EQUIPMENT MATTERS!

You also explicitly said we buy a new good camera every 3 years.  I don't.  The first good camera I got was the Ricoh my Dad the Pigman gave me as a hand me down when I was around 10 or so, and it lasted me 6 years until I went to college when I bought the Nikon.  He had already used it for a decade before that. The Nikon lasted me a good 15 years until the Digital revolution.  At that point I was not shooting many pics, so I just bought one of the first Sony Cybershot El Cheapos, which lasted me through 7 years of trucking.  I didn't invest in a high quality cam again until the Convocation in TX 3 years ago, buying the Samsung Kit and the JVC vidcam.  Both cameras are still near state of the art and have a lot of years left in them if I stay alive long enough to use them.

All you care to do in image making is very simple snapshot stuff, which phones work fine for.  I like to do more than that, and photography is a life long hobby for me.  You collect old cars as a hobby, I buy new cameras every 5-10 years or so to stay up with the technology.  The cameras are more useful, they don't sit under a tarp for years doing nothing.

RE
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:20:07 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »
Yeah as i said u bought new cameras 3 yrs ago and again now, not to mention stacks of other gear.  If u paid proper attention to my original post,
youre not the only one and guys like me get the hand ne downs every few years. If that's your hobby, great,  you do you. It doesnt matter if the last cameras you bought are good for many years, they no longer feed the addiction for the latest and best. There was no implication that buying the best will not give you the best, only that for my needs a phone cam is fine. I took a foto of 20 vagrant trespassing sheep here this morning, it looks at least as good as fotos taken on old film cameras. So do my fotos of cars, some taken at night.

My collection are mostly under cover and are appreciating in value. I restore them too, which makes them more valuable. Thats MY hobby, orherwise if im bored on weekends i drink piss, which is bad for my health and a waste of cash that should be used to prep.

Sorry to break it to ya, but I dont give a shit about The Eclipse or a selfie with it.

Yeah youre right my fotos at my sons sporting events are distant and low res, but theyre still something. As you point out, there are often other people doing fotos. When he raced motocross someone else like a club secretary took great fotos and gave them to me. I never paid for them, maybe it was covered in club membership. You can also ask the news for  fotos. I could have found the camcorder and used it, just not my thing.

But THANKS for the vote of confidence Junior CAN win the nationals, it means a lot. Last year we focussed on the 400m and he lost to the guy who represents oz by 0.2 seconds. We were aiming for top 3 anyway. Crappy phone video  below, guy in the
far inside lane, laugh at the shitty vid if u like. This year we are focussed on the 100m and aim to win it. I dont know if i will get the time off to go, but if I do you are welcome to come and shoot a pro quality video.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:53:45 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
I dont know if i will get the time off to go, but if I do you are welcome to come and shoot a pro quality video.

You pay the airfare, I'll be there. With all my gear too. lol.  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2017, 05:06:17 AM »

It is thoroughly ludicrous to make the case you can do the same things with a phone cam as with decent equipment, or that equipment doesn't matter.  You just can't.  That's why people will pay money to people who have good cams and know how to use them.

RE

You are making your argument based on selected instances, which is incomplete.

First of all, yesterday I posted the video which demonstrates conclusively that a phone camera can under the right circumstances deliver results that are consistent with pro gear. This is settled, period.

The difference is that "the right circumstances" consists of a narrow band of potential circumstances, and the application of a great deal of professional knowledge. Plus lighting gear to further control the circumstances.

Phone cameras have, as you have already pointed out, have inferior (and small) plastic lenses. There is a perfectly good reason for this-- it takes less lens coverage area to cover the sensor. The real limitation of phone images is sensor size.

Larger sensors, such as in DSLRs, can help you capture better quality images, but the sensor takes up more room and will also need a bigger lens to cast an image over it.

This is why smartphone makers generally stick with very small sensors, they want to keep devices pocketable and not deal with the bulk of larger lenses. It also explains why professional photography gear is still so big and heavy. The cost of producing bigger sensors (and the multi-element glass lenses that will make an image large enough to cover them) also means that devices packing them also have a bigger price-tag.

This explains in part why phone cameras suck at low-light photography. Also, their typical slow shutter speed makes them the worst possible choice for shooting action. The user has no control over ANYTHING, What pros want to do is to eliminate variables. Which is actually what the photog did with the IPhone fashion shoot; he eliminated lighting variables.

Phone cameras are for yielding acceptable results over a wide range of lighting conditions. Selfies, or having teenage Mindy show you her tits, that sort of thing. For specialized circumstances you need specialized equipment.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2017, 05:31:45 AM »
Plus buy Photo Shop.

All Apps + Adobe Stock
US$79.98/mo

Annual plan, paid monthly

The entire collection of 20+ creative desktop and mobile apps including Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC
    Get 10 free Adobe Stock images.
    Your first month of Adobe Stock is free with the 10 images per month plan
    Cancel risk free within the first month

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html?sdid=KKQIN&ttsrccat=sem-ww-di-ps-brand&mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!105!33049932824!s!298018725278&ef_id=WDIHPwAAACiFhBwQ:20170723122550:s

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, is a BIG FUCKING MESS!!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »

RE

You are making your argument based on selected instances, which is incomplete.

First of all, yesterday I posted the video which demonstrates conclusively that a phone camera can under the right circumstances deliver results that are consistent with pro gear. This is settled, period.

The difference is that "the right circumstances" consists of a narrow band of potential circumstances, and the application of a great deal of professional knowledge. Plus lighting gear to further control the circumstances.

Phone cameras have, as you have already pointed out, have inferior (and small) plastic lenses. There is a perfectly good reason for this-- it takes less lens coverage area to cover the sensor. The real limitation of phone images is sensor size.

Larger sensors, such as in DSLRs, can help you capture better quality images, but the sensor takes up more room and will also need a bigger lens to cast an image over it.

This is why smartphone makers generally stick with very small sensors, they want to keep devices pocketable and not deal with the bulk of larger lenses. It also explains why professional photography gear is still so big and heavy. The cost of producing bigger sensors (and the multi-element glass lenses that will make an image large enough to cover them) also means that devices packing them also have a bigger price-tag.

This explains in part why phone cameras suck at low-light photography. Also, their typical slow shutter speed makes them the worst possible choice for shooting action. The user has no control over ANYTHING, What pros want to do is to eliminate variables. Which is actually what the photog did with the IPhone fashion shoot; he eliminated lighting variables.

Phone cameras are for yielding acceptable results over a wide range of lighting conditions. Selfies, or having teenage Mindy show you her tits, that sort of thing. For specialized circumstances you need specialized equipment.

All these things are quite true, and why the utility of phone cameras in practice is limited mainly to snapshots in good lighting and selfies.  Yes, a real pro who can control the lighting and is working doing shots within the focal range of the camera can make very good shots, but no matter HOW good this pro is, he's NEVER going to be able to shoot good pics of Jimmy at bat or Janie on the Balance Beam with his phone camera.  These cameras just won't DO that.

Next is the issue of replacement of technology.  How often do phone users replace their phones with the latest and greatest?  About every 2 years on average, the length of the contract with the carrier you are using.  Then they offer you a new phone at a discount price which is locked into their system.  You can get it unlocked after your contract is finished and the phone is paid off, but it's a pain in the ass and they make it difficult.  I know, I have done it thrice with my old Iphone4 and both of my Samsung Galaxy Megas, both 4 years long in the tooth now.  They are becoming Dinosaurs.

A NEW Samsung 8 would cost me $800.  I do not need this gadget.  My JVC came in around the same price as this phone, and it sure does a fuck load more on the photography end then any phone will, EVAH.  Well, maybe in an Elon Musk futurist scenario there will be phones to match it, but not anytime too soon.  I could never have made Slo-Mo vids of my gymmies with a phone, they just don't DO that.

The accusation I replace my camera technology every 3 years is also untrue.  As I mentioned, over the 50 years of my camera and photo jones, to this point I have had only 4 quality cameras.  The first was the Ricoh, a hand-me-down from Dad the Pigman.  #2 was the Nikon.  #3 was the Samsung Kit with interchangeable lenses, followed shortly thereafter by the JVC.  Had I known about the JVC when I bought the Samsung, I never would have bought that kit.  That WAS a total waste of money for me and my needs.  Even so though, that is only 4 of these things over 50 years of time!  I have bought many more carz than that over same time period.

The new Sony Pocket Powerhouse Cam is a replacement for my pocket El Cheapo Samsung which really has been my Workhorse over the last 3 years.  It is shot though, I dropped it one too many times, lol.  The great thing about the pocket cams is you can carry them around all the time in your cargo pants pocket.  You never miss a shot because you don't have a camera with you.  This one is a HUGE improvement over the El Cheapo though, because of the astounding 30X Zeiss Optics Zoom lens to begin with.  It also allows you tons of control over settings, which lesser models do not do.  This for $450, about half the cost of a new smart phone.

My only regret these days in my camera purchases is the Samsung Kit.  I really did not need that one, and should have done better research before springing for it.  We all make mistakes though.  Now, for the rest of my life (assuming I don't drop them), I have 2 cameras that serve all my needs, the JVC and the new Sony.  The JVC is my Go-To Cam for action stuff and doing Slo-Mo Vid and Time-Lapse.  The Sony is my Carry-All-the-Time Cam.  I cannot see any improvement in these cams worthwhile that I would buy another one unless I break them or they crap out on me.  I may buy accessories of course.  You can never have too many accessories in the photography biz.  You need those cool reflective umbrellas to get your lighting just right of course...

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
Quote from: RE
The accusation I replace my camera technology every 3 years is also untrue.

I am working from memory here, and disinclined to go back and dredge the thread, but I think what UB said was that most users dump their cell phones for a newer model every three years. I didn't think he meant you.

If a survey with an N of 1 can be valid, I agree.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »
Quote from: RE
The accusation I replace my camera technology every 3 years is also untrue.

I am working from memory here, and disinclined to go back and dredge the thread, but I think what UB said was that most users dump their cell phones for a newer model every three years. I didn't think he meant you.

If a survey with an N of 1 can be valid, I agree.

Theres no 'also', as i have been at pains to point out. That you cant launch a career in photography with a phone goes without saying. Suddenly an el cheapo in YOUR pocket is good enough to snap things any place any time, but MY saying that three times now STILL means i think an S6 rivals the Hubble.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:39:36 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
Suddenly an el cheapo in YOUR pocket is good enough to snap things any place any time, but MY saying that three times now STILL means i think an S6 rivals the Hubble.

The Sony isn't an El Cheapo, it's a highly rated pocket cam with fabulous optics.

RE
Save As Many As You Can