PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure

AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 22353 times)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: SUN☼/Diner Convocation 2017
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »
Suddenly an el cheapo in YOUR pocket is good enough to snap things any place any time, but MY saying that three times now STILL means i think an S6 rivals the Hubble.

The Sony isn't an El Cheapo, it's a highly rated pocket cam with fabulous optics.

RE

You scurrilous shutterbug;

"...my pocket El Cheapo Samsung which really has been my Workhorse over the last 3 years."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjMZMxNr-0

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:34:17 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: THE NEW CAMERA ARRIVES!
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
It is 4PM Alaska time.  The doorbell rings.  These days, when the doorbell rings it's not usually the Jehovah's witnesses or the Mormons seeking to recruit me, it's usually a UPS delivery.  I've been ordering shit faster than I can get rid of the packaging boxes they come in.

Today's delivery was what I have been salivating over, the POCKET POWERHOUSE Sony Cam!  :icon_sunny:

B&H Photo is the BEST!  Their shipping prices are fair and they are always on time.  I highly recommend B&H Photo for your photography jones needs.

It is OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW time!  ;D

Here is a photo of El Cheapo (Samsung) next to Pocket Powerhouse (Sony) taken with my JVC Sports Vidcam

El Cheapo       Pocket Powerhouse
Cameras Samsung Sony
Cameras Samsung Sony

As you can see, they are practically identical in morphology and size.  The similarity ends there however.

On price, the El Cheapo came in at $150 3+ years ago.  The PP today came in at $450.

El Cheapo has a 12 MP sensor.  PP has a 20 MP sensor.

El Cheapo has an 18X Zoom with I think Ricoh Optics.  PP has a 30X Zoom with ZEISS Optics!  :o  Nobody does better lenses than Zeiss, not even Hasselblad.

El Cheapo has a fixed viewing screen and no Viewfinder.  PP has an articulating screen through a full 180 to do Selfies if you want to plus a viewfinder to use in bright light conditions or just if you like to shoot through a viewfinder better.

El Cheapo has a decent amount of software/electronic control over imaging, but NOTHING compared to PP.  Just going through this manual to try to figure it all out will take the rest of my life.

I will head out tomorrow to do some test imaging with PP, assuming I can figure out how at least some things work on the camera tonight.  It's NOT like buying an Instamatic for these things.  You don't just "Point & Shoot".  You have to actually READ the manual.  They are small indeed, and it helps a lot to have small fingers and hands in using them.  People with Big Mitts would have some problems with them.  In fact, compact sized person that I am, even I have trouble with some of the physical controls on the camera.  It's not a camera for Big People.  To paraphrase Randy Newman, "Tall People Got No Reason to Live".  lol.

More 2moro after I get some images.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
I just got a motorcycle and will attempt to come out there weather providing. What kind of mountains am I looking at though? What are the odds they're passable?
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »
I just got a motorcycle and will attempt to come out there weather providing. What kind of mountains am I looking at though? What are the odds they're passable?

Not much mountains in this neighborhood of Idaho.  It's where they grow the Potatoes.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 07:23:28 AM »

Not much mountains in this neighborhood of Idaho.  It's where they grow the Potatoes.

RE

All right, I'll try not to die. I might ask a photographer I know about those filters. Maybe he'll have some way to rent some for cheap. He knows a million people.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »

RE

All right, I'll try not to die. I might ask a photographer I know about those filters. Maybe he'll have some way to rent some for cheap. He knows a million people.

Filter problems are all solved.  This is not an issue.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: The LAST Camera Kit
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
I am swearing to finish my life with this camera kit, unless I break one of them.  No more camera purchases for RE.

'
Camera Kit
Camera Kit

In front on left is my main Go-To cam, the new Pocket Powerhouse Sony that fits in my cargo pants and can be carried around all the time.  I am still figuring this one out.

In front on the right is my main Go-To cam for Video, the JVC which does Slo-Mo and Time-Lapse easily, and also shoots good stills.

In back is one of my two camera bodies for the Samsung Mirrorless kit plus beside it the Zoom Telephoto lens for it.  I also have a fast 80mm fixed focal length lens to shoot gymnastics pics and vids with.

I doubt I will use the Samsung Kit much anymore.  It's a great kit though at a much cheaper price than DSLRs that aren't near as good.

My Main Cameras here in the twilight of my photography years will be the two at the front, the JVC and the Sony.  The Sony will certainly be the Workhorse, because I can carry it around all the time in my cargo pants pocket.  The JVC should still get a decent amount of work though long as I remain mobile and can make I Spy Doom Vids.  That is a pretty fast and EZ setup with a lightweight tripod.  In my youth, I could have run around the football field getting shots just about as fast as the running backs and wide receivers did.  Not any more though, those days are GONE for RE.  I get teary when I look at myself now and see what a decrepit piece of shit is left of this meat package.  I can still compose a decent picture though, although I am no Ansel Adams.  I have the equipment that does what I need it to do.  I don't need anything else unless I break something.  Hopefully, I won't do that.

Note: Photo of the current cams was done by El Cheapo.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: T-SHIRTS Ordered!
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »
The T-Shirts for the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ Adventure have been ordered!  I did it at a local silkscreener so I will have to carry them on the plane, which means I will also now need to check a bag in luggage for $25.

Appearing on the front in the Left Pocket Position around 3" in size is the SUN☼ Logo.

SUN logo 5
SUN logo 5

Center Front also is the map of the Path of Totality across the FSoA with the list in order of all the States in order that the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ will pass over.

SUN Eclipse Totality map 3
SUN Eclipse Totality map 3

On the back in large format to fill the back screen is the SUN☼ Eclipse Logo:

SUN Eclipse logo 3
SUN Eclipse logo 3

The T-Shirts are Black with Yellow printing.

I ordered 20 shirts in sizes from Medium to Extra Large.  I am keeping one Large and one Extra Large for myself.  The rest are available as a Gift for anyone who wants to support the SUN☼ Foundation with a $50 Donation (or more!  :icon_sunny:). Your Donation is TAX DEDUCTIBLE!  Diners get first crack at this valuable memento of a once-in-a-lifetime event.

PM me if you would like to order one and I will give you instructions on how to order.

Next up, since I need a checked bag anyhow, I am looking into Vinyl Signs to attach to my Rental Stealth Van at the Campsite.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Santa Delivers in the Summer to RE
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Although, he doesn't use Reindeer this time of year.  They are on Vacation.  In the summer he uses UPS and the USPS.

Today was a BONANZA day for deliveries of Preps I have ordered for the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ adventure and for Boondocking Improvements.  :icon_sunny:

Here's the stuff that arrived today:

Santa Presents
Santa Presents

Working around clockwise from the bottom left:

1- Geodesic Connectors for PVC-  These are not the size I thought they would be for 1.5" tubing, so it's a good thing I didn't go buy my tubing before they arrived.  As it turns out though, it's a good thing because for the application I am doing, this is a better size and I won't need such large tubing, which would take up room in SaVANnah.  It also cuts my tubing cost about in half down to $40.  I could still do a full dome out of it eventually, but I would have to do some modifications to make it stiff enough.  I doubt I will ever do a full dome however, so not an issue.  $80 in FRNs for this one.

2- Butane Refillable Mini-Torches-  These are essentially Bic Lighters on Steroids.  I got the pack of 4 for $15, about double the price of a 6 pack of Bics.  They have a few major advantages over Bics though.  They are refillable for one, so if you use them 2 to 3 times through with butane refill cans, you pay off the difference there.  They are also virtually windproof and rainproof.  It's like a propane torch, just miniature.  The most important difference though is you can use them for soldering your electric connections on your DC electrics.  I have an electric soldering gun and means to produce electricity to make it function, but this works with no electricity and is smaller and EZier to handle than a soldering gun.  I have a couple of rolls of solder in my preps as well to use to fix and repair my connections.  Soldering is a VAST improvement when you wire up over just twisting your wires together.  You get much better connections and much less overall resistance in the line.  $15 in FRNs.

Filter/Lens Addition Kit for the JVC Vidcam- This kit came with 2 lens additions you screw on the filter attachment screw on the front of the lens.  If your camera does not have an interchangeable lens setup, this is the only way you can modify the focal length you work with.  The JVC does not have an interchangeable lens system, although the Zoom it comes with is quite good for most normal purposes.  The 2.2X converter more than doubles the focal length of the lens, giving me the equivalent of 22X of magnification.  Not as much as the new Sony at 30X, but not too bad.  In 35mm equivalents, this would be  something like a 700mm lens I think.  Hard to know for sure because the sensor size matters here too.  You do pay a price in terms of resolution and f-stop using these things, but for this application and the web, I doubt it will be noticeable.  Also included is a Fisheye converter and several Macro converters and Filters.  All for the bargain price of another $80 in FRNs.

What I will be doing down at the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ adventure is cutting one of my round ND 100000 filters to size to fit BETWEEN the lens and the filter perfectly flat.  All I need to do to remove the filter during TOTALITY is unscrew the filter and take out the ND 100000 acetate for that 2 minutes.

4-Mystery Item  The small metal cylinder in the lower right is the latest CHALLENGE for Diners to figure out what it is and why I bought it.  If you can figure this one out, it's a DOUBLE Diner Kewpie Doll Award!  :icon_sunny:

A few HINTS:

1-  It's for Boondocking, not the Eclipse.

2- Despite its fairly simple appearance, it is pretty high tech.

3- It cost about $25

Can u figure it out?

To win the Double Diner Kewpie Doll Award, you need to correctly identify what this thing is and how I will be using it to improve Boondocking in SaVANnah.

RE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:33:29 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Weather Forecast #1
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
We are now 3 Weeks away from the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.  I have begun to track the weather forecast for Rexburg, ID for August 21st.

As we all know of course, "Meteorologists" (Weathermen) generally are not too accurate more than about 3 days out, but you do get a flavor for how the Weather is supposed to go with these long range forecasts.  ::)  As of today, the weather in Rexburg on Aug 21st is supposed to be 83F and Partly Cloudy.  All bright sunny days between now and Aug 6th.

I have been debating whether to have a Backup Plan B in case the forecast is real bad on Aug 19-20 and try to make a last minute change of locations.  The problem here is the best I could do might be a 3-4 hour move up or down the road, and it's unlikely that would change the atmospheric conditions that much.  So it remains a Roll of the Dice and HOPIUM that I get a clear window.

On the Photography front, I have now yet another means to record the event, which is TOP SECRET and won't be revealed until after it is over, assuming it works.  I will be employing 3 main cameras (JVC, El Cheapo, Pocket Powerhouse), plus my Smart Phone.

As of now, it looks like I will be joined by 2 additional people, which will be a big help in terms of getting all the photography and video done.  I have 3 sets of quality Eclipse Glasses for those of us at the event to view it LIVE, in a ONCE IN A LIFETIME experience.

Now, I just gotta stay alive long enough to get there.  ::)

The Path of Totality

RE
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:04:39 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: More Biz Cards
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
Ugh.  I really fucked up on the Biz cards.  By the time the shipping was done, 100 of them cost me $50.  They are very nice Biz Cards on real high quality card stock though, so not a complete waste.

However, I went by the UPS Store today, and they will do 100 Biz Cards for $7!!!  If you want their Graphics Guys to do the layout & design, this costs you $60/hour.  But I do my own graphics and layout, so I don't have that cost.  The way they want it is as a 10-Up, 5 down each column of a typical sheet of 8.5X11 Cardstock.  So OK, I did a 10-Up of it today after returning from other errands showing the apartment and then doing some shopping at Wally World.  Tomorrow I go over there and have 100 cards printed on nice Bright Yellow Card stock and see how they compare to the ones I overpaid for to get shipped up here from the lower 48.

I really like the New Biz Card.  The Design reflects BOTH the Diner and SUN☼.  It has an Eye-Catching visual look and all the necessary Contact Information (I moved that into the Diner Windows on the card).  Very Professional!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Eclipse T-Shirts
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2017, 03:24:22 AM »
The Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ T-Shirt Final Design has now been APPROVED  :emthup: by the CEO and is IN PRODUCTION:icon_sunny:

SUN 4 Living 17
SUN 4 Living 17

Only 20 of these valuable items have been produced in this run.  5 in each size from Medium to Xtra-Large.  Diners have first crack at ordering a T-shirt.  A TAX DEDUCTIBLE $50 donation to the SUN☼ Foundation will get you a T-Shirt.

Contact me in PM if you want a T-Shirt.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: New Itinerary
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
OK!  :icon_sunny:

I cancelled the rental Stealth Van and instead booked a flight from Seattle to Spokane.  When I arrive in Seattle, K-Dog gets the job of hauling my broken meat package around for a tour of Seattle on Aug 17th.  Then I fly out of Seattle bright and early at 6:35AM for Spokane, where Brian picks me up an hour later.  That's a real short puddle jump in a jet plane.  Then we do some shopping to pick up Preps that he may not have and get on the road to Rexburg, a pretty long drive.  We should arrive at the campsite on the evening of the  18th or afternoon of the 19th.  Then K-Dog should meet us on Aug 20th there for a night of Boondocking, a campfire and a few Beers.  Then the BIG EVENT of THE TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ @ 11:30 AM or so in Rexburg.  Then most of this is reversed for my trip back to my digs here in Alaska if I manage to live through this trip.  I don't think we will be able to schedule a night at Quinn's Hot Springs Resort, a major site in my How I Survived Collapse PI-Fi novel.  We may be able to stop off there on the drive though, it is on the way.

Brian will fly up here just prior to the takeoff to help me with the SSA Hearing and getting to the Airport and a few other tasks.  Once we get to the airport, he will fly separately back to Spokane while I fly to Seattle.

Biggest challenge at the campsite will be figuring out how to get the cameras set up.  I don't know how much K-Dog and Brian know about cameras in general, and they certainly are not familiar with my cameras, which are pretty complex instruments.  I will need to give them a very fast tutorial, and I am not even familiar with all the details on how these things work.  Besides that challenge, both Brian and I expect the traffic to be HORRENDOUS in this neighborhood.  It's going to be like Woodstock on Steroids.  The area just doesn't have the road system to support the number of people who will be flowing in there and out of there on the 20th-21st. In the words of Arlo Guthrie "Hey man, the New York State Thruway is CLOSED!  Lotta FREAKS!" lol.  So we will need all our supplies for around 3 days so we don't have to leave the campsite once parked.  It's like a Mini-Bugout Dry Run.

If I can make it through, I will document the whole thing and that will give me some more material to write about for the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eV_0h_OBNiM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eV_0h_OBNiM</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2017, 02:24:49 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner August 12, 2017

Discuss this article at the SUN Table inside the Diner

On Wednesday August 16th at 8:00 AM, I am scheduled for the long awaited Hearing with the SSA to try and resolve the dispute on how my SS Bennies were figured after I received my Workman's Compensation Award.  After that I have booked and planned a trip down to the Lower 48 to Witness the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼  at a prime location for this, right on the line of the Path of Totality.  It remains an open question however whether I will achieve either goal.

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/08/04/Eclipse_path_refuges_t810.jpg?043915c051a7e8a61f3dafe8e38e28c2ebfb384b On my own, there is no way I could pull it off.  I have been in bad health for years, but the last few weeks have seen an enormous deterioration.  I am fortunate though that I got a couple of friends who are going to try and help me to make it there for the Last Great Adventure of my life as a Meat Package Walking the Earth.  I don't know if we will be successful with this as of yet.  Every day becomes harder to even get out of my chair, much less go Jet Setting and contributing further to the carbon being excreted into the atmosphere.

I wrote a "Bucket List" article a while back where I made the statement I didn't really have anything left I haven't done that I wanted to do and was still capable of doing.  That was true when I wrote it.  But then I found out about the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ , and I decided I had to try and be there for this event.  They do not happen often, and when they do happen the Path of Totality is very narrow, only around 70 miles wide.  So few people ever get to witness such an event in their lives.  I have never witnessed one to this date.

For me, the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ holds a lot of symbolic meaning.  First off, our Civilization is in Eclipse, it is Going Dark as we speak.  Then my own life is in Eclipse as well, I am truly on my "last legs" and struggle every day to stay above ground.  I kind of hope I will Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond© right during the 2 Minutes or so that the Big Event lasts for.  I want OUT of this Meat Package!  It is just a complete mess, not the great one it once was that anyone would have been proud to wear.  But I am not the suicidal type either, so I don't pull my own plug no matter how awful I feel each day.

Life is a One Way March from Birth to Death for everyone.  I suppose everyone also hopes for a long life in this march, and some folks get long ones and others get short ones.  I got a Medium Long one, which I am happy with.  60 years walking the Earth in one Meat Suit is certainly a lot longer than the statistical average for Homo Sap over the last 70,000 years.  Even today, when you start living to 80 or so even if you were Mr. Healthy your whole life you get Med problems, so living so long is not so great no matter how you look at it.  It's a fabulous drain on the society to have so many OLD people around.  Just about all nations are facing this problem now, from East to West.  China & Japan have it the worst, but the Europeans aren't far behind them and we are not far behind the Europeans for this problem.  The demographics are horrific, and the implications for a monetary system based on perpetual growth are horrific as well. The evidence of how it is breaking down is already well in view.  Both Public & Private retirement systems are collapsing in all these countries, whether they are "socialist" or "capitalist".  There is no way out of this dilemma, and when the collapse comes, the Old Folks around are going to go first here.  I am getting a jump start on this and going to the Great Beyond before this becomes a systemic problem.

There is also no great purpose to living so long for a Homo Sap.  If you Marry at 20, by the time you are 40 your kids are grown.  If you live another 20 years, you can help your kids raise your Grandkids.  What is the purpose here for the time after that?  You're too feeble to be much help raising your Great-Grandkids, and probably have Med issues too. Now you become a burden to your kids.  So for Homo Sap life expectancy and reproduction purposes, I think 60 years Walking the Earth is about right.

Returning to the Last Great Adventure though, logistically this is a tremendous challenge, even if I was healthy.  Actually even getting there and getting out will be difficult.  This event is like Woodstock on Steroids.  There will be a fantastic number of people trying to position themselves along the Path of Totality all at the SAME time, and the road system just isn't designed to handle that.  Think Katrina.  In the words of Arlo Guthrie, "The New York State Thruway is CLOSED man!"

Better get there early and be prepped for a lot of traffic if you don't!  Keep your Gas Tank topped off!  Have enough Food & Water to last you at least a day after the event to wait out the real traffic crush.  If you do not have a Stealth Van or RV, bring a tent for temporary shelter.  In many respects, this is like a mini "Dry Run" for a Bugout.  If we manage to follow through with our plans and I do not croak first, we plan to get to the campsite on the 18th and have enough with us to last a week if necessary.  Hopefully though we only have to wait most a day for the traffic crush to let up.

https://cdn3.cdnme.se/cdn/7-2/300189/images/2010/cloudy_keyart_wallpaper_1024_80342035.jpg Then because I want to record this event in various ways, I have all my cameras to get set up and experiment with in the day or two prior to the Big Event.  I have never tried to shoot anything like this. It takes special filters and the exposure issues are difficult. I'm not sure of the campsite layout either other than I am pretty sure I have my spot guaranteed.  Then I have my own physical disabilities to deal with in this, and dependence on friends who are not as familiar with photography as I am or how my current set of equipment works.  Even *I* am not that familiar with how it all works!  In the digital age, it has become a lot more than just focusing, framing with the Zoom, setting your aperture  and shutter speed and pressing the button.  The cameras have numerous types of settings you can work with.  You can spend a lifetime just figuring out how one of these cameras work, and they all use proprietary software.  So no 2 are alike at all.  Back in the day, there was no real difference between a Canon and a Nikon or even a Hasselblad, other than price of course.  Today, you work through a whole different tree of choices on cameras of a similar price which do similar things.  When you buy one, you gotta figure it all out.  Then before you know it, the camera is obsolete for some reason, and you have to start this process all over again.

Nonetheless, I hope to get SOME good images/vids of some type here if I make it to the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.  I have a lot of redundancy.  The "Pro" pics will undoubtably be a lot better, and I have Weather to worry about too.  What if it turns out to be a CLOUDY DAY?!?!?!?!  ACCKKK!!!

Despite the fact the Pro images will be better (not to mention NASA images taken from Satellites) I want to have my own images & videos with my own Copyright © to them as my Intellectual Property.  Beyond the Eclipse itself, I also want to record the EVENT.  This is going to be quite the show, again like Woodstock.  It was only partly about the Musicians up on the stage.  It was really about all the people who came to see the event.  So I want to talk to people and video that action.

http://stumptownblogger.typepad.com/.a/6a010536b86d36970c0133f316507f970b-pi

So, tomorrow is another day and there are 10 more to make it through to the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.  T-10 & Counting.  We'll see if I make it.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2017, 05:53:05 AM »
The leg of the Last Great Adventure from Seattle to Spokane was once again exhausting.

K-Dog got my crippled ass to the Seattle Airport around 5AM after a 4AM Wake Up Call.  Then the Wheelchair Jockeys got me to the gate and down to the tarmac to get on the regional prop-jet puddle jumper, where I drageed myself up the portable stairs into the plane.   Thank god for handrails!  I refused getting a hydraulic lift.

The flight was on-time, my pickup ride was not.  Brian set his phone for 7:15PM instead of AM.  I ended up waiting for him longer than it took to fly from Seattle to Spokane.

We spent until 4:30PM getting his Toyota Pickup with topper Prepped for the Bugout to the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.

First order of bizness was to go through Brian's old camping gear to see what he already had that we did not need to buy.  Fortunately, he just moved into a new Doomstead and recently went through all his stuff, so it was already very organized.  We got sleeping bags, tent, camp stoves, cooking gear, a table, some camping chairs, tarps and numerous other basic items this way.  Brian got the job of loading the preps into the Toyota while I sat on a Milk Crate and Supervised.  lol.  The Toyota bed and back seat was now about half full at this point.

Once loaded, we ran into our first glitch, my Smart Phone has been acting cranky, and without it I would have no internet connection at the campsite.  I would go insane for 4 days with no net connection!  :o  Besides. how could I report from the Path of Totality without a net connection?  The problem was the battery, which is 4 years old and shot.   It was very slow in taking a charge, and getting very hot.  Too much internal resistance.

We went on the net to Google Batt sellers in Couer d'Alene, and by some miracle Batts & Bulbs had ONE of my Batts!  This is a 4 year old model phone and the batt is not usually in stock anywhere.  So the first leg of the prep run was to Batts & Bulbs to pick this up.

After that, we headed over to Wally World to pick up some missing camping gear as well as the FOOD for this Bugout.  I had what I *thought* was a well stocked list that could keep us going for at least a week if the Woodstock Traffic getting out of the Path of Totality. "The New  York State Thruway's CLOSED, man!"  Brian however kept throwing in more stuff not on the list, and the result is a larder that either would last a month at least  for me, Brian & K-Dog, or can feed everyone who shows up at the same campgrounds as us. lol.

Jamming all this shit into the Toyota in the Walmart Parking Lot takes another 20 minutes, and now the bed of the Toyota is 90% full, but there are still a couple of missing Premium Camping Gear items I want that we need to pick up at Cabela's.  So we head over there, make the purchases and are just about able to jam them into the Toyota.  Finally, around 4:30PM we get on the road to Rexburg, ID, site of our campgrounds and directly on the center line of the Path of Totality.

It was pretty clear sailing and I set the goal of making it to at least halfway to Rexburg, which means getting past Missoula.  Which we did, but by 8:30PM we were both exhausted and hadn't eaten.  As we approached Missoula, there were numerous motels and expensive lodges and Brian wanted to stop, but I was adamant we needed to get past Missoula before calling it a day.  So we passed Missoula.

Problem was, as soon as we got to the east side of Missoula, everything disappeared.  There is close to nothing between Missoula and Butte.  So it was starting to look like we might be stuck trying to get some shut-eye sleeping in the car seats.  By some miracle though, we pulled off for a gas fillup in Clinton, and Poor Henry's Bar & Grill was nearby where we went for dinner.  Brian had a Prime Rib sandwich he said was very good.  I ate nothing but had a micro brew IPA which was very good too.  We then talked to the waitress who said there were two Bates Motels in Drummond, about 30 minutes further east.  First one had no rooms, but the call to the second one had ONE room left.  We reserved it, finished dinner and bolted for the Bates Motel.

I slept from about 10PM to 4AM, which is a lot for me at one stretch, and now am up with enough energy to recap yesterday's events   We'll probably head out of here around 8AM to finish off the drive to Rexburg, about 4 more hours further up the road.  K-Dog is somewhere behind us on the road, I think he left sometime last night and has a longer drive than we do.  Assuming we beat the real crush of traffic into Rexburg, we should arrive around 1PM to begin setting up camp.

Next report after camp is set up, probably late Saturday.

RE
Save As Many As You Can