PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure

AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 19997 times)

Offline DoctorWhom

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »
AI is the beginning of the adventure. Default ape neurology will be a quickly forgotten stepping stone.

It's time for the Universe to establish an Earth capable of fostering intelligence.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give.

~ Diogenes

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
Another long day with many adventures, but tonight I a out of energy to write about it.

Suffice it to say we are now esconced on our campsite, our tent and tarp and tables and chairs are deployed, the sun is setting and it is a beautiful cool and breezy night for Boondocking.

Tomorrpw I will try and write in more detail.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: The Path of Totality: Dog Days
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
Some of what RE is too tired to write about. 

I stopped at a rest stop just over the Idaho Montana border to walk around, wake up and lift my leg.  When I got going again my transmission was stuck in first gear.  After going a couple of hundred miles at 40 mph pissing off truckers like crazy I was able to get in touch with RE and he and his friend Brian were able to double back and pick me up.  Fortunately they had crashed in a Bates Motel for the night and were only two hours ahead of me.  We waited at a rest stop at Anaconda MT for a tow truck which picked my car and put it in their secure lot till after the eclipse.  Lee the tow truck driver is also doing the eclipse and he won't be towing my car to the closest Mercedes dealership in Missoula MT until early next week.  The promise of not till after the eclipse got me a better price but towing a car hundreds of miles costs a small fortune no matter how you cut it.  A puddle jump in about a week from Seattle to Missoula to pick up my car is in my future.  A puddle jump back to Seattle is in my more immediate future.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:54:15 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline vwclown

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi K-Dog, RE and Brian:
Aw jeez.  Sorry for the transmission troubles!  Glad you guys were able to put together a Plan B of sorts with RE and Brian doubling back.  Hope you guys are getting lots of photos of your travels and around the campfire. -vwclown   

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties.

The eclipse wasn't much here, but I swam with a school of two dozen huge tarpon today in Cinnamon Bay. I haven't seen any here in this spot for three years. The coral ain't what it used to be, but it isn't all gone yet.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mechanical difficulties.

The eclipse wasn't much here, but I swam with a school of two dozen huge tarpon today in Cinnamon Bay. I haven't seen any here in this spot for three years. The coral ain't what it used to be, but it isn't all gone yet.

Sounds like a nice relaxing journey with nature.
Brings back memories of when I swam with the fishies in the Bahama's (back in the day)
Yeah that ultraviolet Sun damage is relentless wit the coral. Glad to hear there's still life present there.
Just think, you're swimming above the old Atlantian ruins. How cool is that .....
Enjoy the energies  :icon_sunny:

The big eclipse was momentary for me. The clouds parted & I got a glimpse around 9:30 this morning.
Things got pretty dim around 10:30 with the clouds & 60% eclipse.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »
The clouds eclipsed the eclipse here. I took pictures of it getting darker for the 5 minutes it passed by. I did look up at where the sun was behind the clouds with the camera, and saw the actual eclipse for about a second or so. Whoopty freakin do!
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
 we are on our way back from the path of totality at the total eclipse of the Sun in Rexburg Idaho. we had perfect weather and conditions to view the eclipse. it was truly magnificent and unbelievable. Unless you are in the path of totality there is nothing to see in an eclipse but when totality strikes it is an otherworldly experience. I will have more about it tonight assuming we get a sconce in a motel room and have time to write. We hit a big traffic jam on the I-15 which slowed us down about an hour and a half. More on that later also
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
we are on our way back from the path of totality at the total eclipse of the Sun in Rexburg Idaho. we had perfect weather and conditions to view the eclipse. it was truly magnificent and unbelievable. Unless you are in the path of totality there is nothing to see in an eclipse but when totality strikes it is an otherworldly experience. I will have more about it tonight assuming we get a sconce in a motel room and have time to write. We hit a big traffic jam on the I-15 which slowed us down about an hour and a half. More on that later also

Yes, conditions were perfect.  I was struck by the 360 degree ring of orange sunrise/sunset that circled us perfectly.  RE is right in saying that there is nothing to see in an eclipse without being in the totality zone.  As long as a sliver of sunlight remains things seem pretty normal.  The dimmer light makes for better viewing of the surrounding countryside because contrast improves.  It is cooler and the sunlight looses its warmth but intense drama really only happens in totality.  Then the light around is twilight but directly overhead it is dark with a few stars.

Of course I have to agree with RE since he is only ten feet away from me right now!  It is a good thing there is nothing to disagree with about the eclipse.  We are too beat to bicker so it is good there is nothing to bicker about.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:32:03 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
We lost our internet last night at the Bates Motel, but I was once again too beat to write anything substantive anyhow.

We're just getting up and getting ready to get on the road back to Couer d'Alene for the final driving leg of the Last Great Adventure.  K-Dog will fly to Seattle tonight and I will fly there tomorrow.

I did edit one picture last night of the 3 of us with our Men in Black Sunglasses on watching the early part of the eclipse.  As you can see, the skies were cloudless and pure blue in our location.

RE Kdog Brian 4
RE Kdog Brian 4

I may actually get something written from the Bates Motel in Spokane tonight.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
OK, I'll try to do a little bigger update tonight.  My energy level for writing every night during the trip has been extremely low.  Every day has been exhausting for me in one way or the other through the whole trip.  Assuming I complete the Last Great Adventure alive, it's going to take me at least a month to recover from it.

I am now esconced Solo in an Airport Hotel for a flight to Seattle tomorrow evening.  K-Dog already left for Seattle a few hours ago.  We came to the airport together in a shuttle to save Brian the hassle of driving us into Spokane.  My flight isn't until late tomorrow afternoon.

We dropped by the Mercedes dealership in Missoula where K-Dog's sickly 350E is due to be delivered today sometime by the tow truck driver from Butte.  Logistics for how & where it will be repaired and how KD will get it back to its home in Seattle have yet to be worked out.

As exhausting as The Last Great Adventure to the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ has been for me, I sure am glad I was able to make the trip, not just because the eclipse was such an incredible experience either.  It has been terrific to spend time with KD, much like the time I spent with Eddie during the first Convocation when we shared a Bates Motel room in Buttfuck. TX.  Epic long conversations on collapse as well as learning more about each other's personal life histories.

Besides KD, I also met his son and several of his friends, who joined us at the campsite so it was pretty full up with 7 people.  For tonight's photos, first here is the next generation of Ecliptics who inhabited the Path of Totality at the SUN☼ Boondocking campsite:

BJ Gang 1
BJ Gang 1

Here is our completed Boondocking home at sunrise the morning before the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼:

Campsite 001 sunrise
Campsite 001 sunrise

I had all sorts of crises with my electronics through this trip, from a bad smart phone batt to blown inverters.  Still not sure how my actual Eclipse photos and vids came out, that shit has to wait until I get back to the Last Great Frontier.  But I got a lot of good pics around the campsite and also at the Computer Museum in Seattle, which will get its own blog eventually, when I recover enough to write a full blog sometime in the distant future.

RE
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:48:31 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
I'm sitting in the airport hotel room waiting another hour for the shuttle over to the Alaska Airlines terminal at 10:30.  My flight isn't until 6PM tonight, but they only run 4 shuttles/day from this El Cheapo Red Lion Inn ($59/night, cheaper than the Bates Motel in Dullard), and besides you have to check out by 11AM anyhow.  So I will spend the rest of the day sitting on my crippled ass in the airport instead of the hotel room.  It doesn't make a difference as long as there is an internet connection and a bathroom, I am good anywhere to wait.

I did a lot of sleeping since I got here, but I also got a few more photos edited, and I am now also uploading some of the video I shot to my Google Drive account so Surly can download the original files if he wants to make a combined presentation with his stills and my video.  One of the files is really big so I am going to try to get the whole thing loaded on somebody else's WiFi Bandwidth.   ;D  If I can't finish it here, hopefully I can finish it on the Spokane Airport Wi-Fi while waiting for the plane.

Besides getting some photos edited, I also unloaded all the SD Cards into my computer and recharged all the batts on the cameras, so they are fresh and ready for the rest of the trip and further projects in the future, although I have nothing left in the Bucket List anymore so I don't know what they might be.  I m doing slightly better with the eating, I had some eggs and a sausage patty this morning at the hotel FREE breakfast, and I ate some potato skins and a yogurt yesterday.  Except for my legs, I feel much better than last week.  However, it is getting much harder tolift my legs to get in and out of cars.  I'm worried I will have trouble with this when I get home and am on my own again.

OK, I will probably make another update while wating in the airport.  K-dog is going to pick me up at the other end in Seattle for another day together, so the Last Great Adventure to the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ is not quite over yet.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
Now at the airport with my butt parked on a bench outside security.  I'm not going in until a couple of hours before flight time.  My spot is right next to an electrical outlet and the bathroom, and I have food to eat and water to drink.  The FREE WiFii works out here as well as inside of security, so there is no reason to check in yet.

I got my raw videos loaded to Google Drive so Surly can download them if he wants to, and I'll probably spend the rest of the day getting started on an article for next Sunday Brunch on the Last Great Adventure to the Path of Totality of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.

One of the surprises for the trip was that I ALMOST BROKE EVEN on the T-shirts!  :icon_sunny:  I figured this was just an advertizing gimmick for SUN☼ and would be a complete money loser like the Coffee Cups I did up for the Convocation in SC last year.   I charged a really high price of $30/shirt, and the concession at the campsite took $5/shirt, so I netted $25/shirt.  Out of the 20 shirts I had printed, 13 sold for a total of $325.  My costs including the screen production was $335, so only a $10 loss!  :icon_sunny:  The remaining 7 shirts were given away, one each to me, K-Dog & Brian, 1 each to 3 of the Next Generation of K-Dog's son & friends who were at the campsite with us and 1 to the Tow Truck driver who picked up the Mercedes outside of Butte where we rescued K-Dog at a Rest Area.

Overall, the Last Great Adventure to the Path of Totality of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ was a raging success on almost every level, and the trip was Blessed I think by the Finger of God.  I came soooo close to cancelling on it the day before when I felt as though I was at Death's Doorstep and the Grim Reaper would win this race and come to collect me as the counselors did when I tried to make my run for Woodstock from Summer Camp.  Not this time.  RE won this race with the Grim Reaper.  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:06:15 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2017, 03:11:22 AM »
Now at the airport with my butt parked on a bench outside security.  I'm not going in until a couple of hours before flight time.  My spot is right next to an electrical outlet and the bathroom, and I have food to eat and water to drink.  The FREE WiFii works out here as well as inside of security, so there is no reason to check in yet.

I got my raw videos loaded to Google Drive so Surly can download them if he wants to, and I'll probably spend the rest of the day getting started on an article for next Sunday Brunch on the Last Great Adventure to the Path of Totality of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼.

One of the surprises for the trip was that I ALMOST BROKE EVEN on the T-shirts!  :icon_sunny:  I figured this was just an advertizing gimmick for SUN☼ and would be a complete money loser like the Coffee Cups I did up for the Convocation in SC last year.   I charged a really high price of $30/shirt, and the concession at the campsite took $5/shirt, so I netted $25/shirt.  Out of the 20 shirts I had printed, 13 sold for a total of $325.  My costs including the screen production was $335, so only a $10 loss!  :icon_sunny:  The remaining 7 shirts were given away, one each to me, K-Dog & Brian, 1 each to 3 of the Next Generation of K-Dog's son & friends who were at the campsite with us and 1 to the Tow Truck driver who picked up the Mercedes outside of Butte where we rescued K-Dog at a Rest Area.

Overall, the Last Great Adventure to the Path of Totality of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ was a raging success on almost every level, and the trip was Blessed I think by the Finger of God.  I came soooo close to cancelling on it the day before when I felt as though I was at Death's Doorstep and the Grim Reaper would win this race and come to collect me as the counselors did when I tried to make my run for Woodstock from Summer Camp.  Not this time.  RE won this race with the Grim Reaper.  :icon_sunny:

RE

That's a hoot about the T-shirts. Hah!

Glad you made it and the the trip was so rewarding. Seeing a solar eclipse in totality is a real bucket list item. Absolutely no comparison between partial and total. A total eclipse comes with both visual and aural phenomena that aren't in evidence with a partial, at least from what I could discern. Glad I made it as well.

I'll do Buffalo in 2024 if I live that long and can still walk.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
I'll do Buffalo in 2024 if I live that long and can still walk.

The 2024 Path of Totality of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ goes pretty much straight over Eddie's Toothstead.  :icon_sunny:

Definite location for the 2024 Diner Convocation.

RE
Save As Many As You Can