PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure

AuthorTopic: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure  (Read 22738 times)

The Path of Totality: The Repair Adventure
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
[html]

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logohttp://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/reddit-logo-300x300.png[/url] 300w, [url=http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/reddit-logo.png]http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/reddit-logo.png[/url] 512w" width="53" />[i]Off the keyboard of K-Dog[/i]

[i]Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666[/i][br /] [i]Friend us on Facebook[/i]

Published on The Doomstead Diner on September 3, 2016

[caption id="attachment_36374" align="alignnone" width="717"]At last, customer service![/caption]

Discuss this article at the SUN Table inside the Diner

Regular visitors know that on my way to experience the eclipse with RE my transmission decided to switch into '[i]limp home mode[/i]' where the top gear becomes second gear and 5000 rpm only gets you 40 mph in a car that can cruse all day at 100 mph.  This happened out of cell phone range at 3 AM eastbound on I-90 three miles into Montana.  But I did not limp home.  Instead I continued in [i]'limp to eclipse' [/i]mode figuring [u]wrongly[/u] that there were as many Mercedes dealerships ahead of me as there were behind me.  The human brain is built to deceive.  RE and Brian who RE was traveling with, met me after I could get them on the phone when I once again came into phone range and could tell them I was in trouble. 

They were just a couple of hours ahead of me having spent the night in Drummond MT. My saviors RE and Brian met up with me in Anaconda Montana where Lee a tow truck driver from Butte, trucked my Mercedes away to his lot in Butte MT wearing one of our rare and precious Path of Totality T-shirts for his eclipse weekend enjoyment and we were on our way to Rexburg.

Lee promised to deliver my car to the Mercedes dealership in Missoula after the eclipse and he did exactly that on Tuesday just as he had promised to do. Unfortunately I foolishly assumed that the Mercedes dealership in Missoula would be able to fix my Mercedes. My mistake. How could I be so foolish? I was totally wrong and the only way my car was going to be fixed in less than a month was if I towed it to a real Mercedes Dealership which the Missoula outfit turned out to be in name only. Missoula has the big round Mercedes logo but only one mechanic and one salesman. Both claiming to be overworked. This so called dealership is part of a larger umbrella dealership that serves several other brands. The owner, DeMarois Buick GMC has an impressive website http://www.demarois.mercedesdealer.com/ but if you visit the actual brick and mortar or in this case glass and steel as I did, you find the 'dealership' is a double garage which passes for a showroom featuring just three cars, two small, and a desk next to several other identical double garages selling other brands. A cosmic joke which I had foolishly towed my car to. Had Missoula the time to even diagnose my problem and the time to work on my car, fixing it in Missoula would have made sense and the $350 plane ticket back to fetch it would have been a bargain. Sadly the Missoula Mercedes mechanic is backed up for weeks. If someone wants to be a Mercedes mechanic there is a job open for one in Missoula right nowMissoula might be a place to survive collapse a lot better than other places will. The Clark Fork River valley is beautiful and there could be doomstead possibilities in the area. After the eclipse and my visit to the Missoula 'dealership' I returned to Seattle and rented a car for the week.

Here it is getting gassed up for its return to Sea-Tac airport yesterday.

[caption id="attachment_36353" align="aligncenter" width="300"]K-Dogs RentalK-Dogs Rental[/caption]

I rented the car and the salesman who sold me my Mercedes a year ago got me in touch with Olga who arranged to have my car moved to Seattle from Missoula. Things would have been great if Olga stayed in touch with me but once she had my info and told me my car would be picked up in Missoula on Saturday she disappeared and would not return emails or phone messages at all. The Russian mafia now had my car and they were not about to meet with me until I had cash in hand and I could exchange it for my car in a remote parking lot face to face meeting at a date a time of their choosing, [u]Breaking Bad[/u] Style.

Without knowing this would be my horror-show future I authorized my car be picked up by phone last Saturday in Missoula but by Wednesday I was calling back tracking it down from the Missoula end. The job had been contracted out to a Spokane trucking outfit and they had my car 20 miles out of Tacoma when I found out where it was and who had it. I also knew what Olga's cut was and figured I was paying her enough for the wheels not to stop moving on this delivery. I also figured that because of the payment issue, cash or money order only, she would not be giving me my car back before Friday as it would take Thursday to pass to her lot in Sumner from Tacoma so she could plan on which remote parking lot to deliver it to me for the face to face.

I jest, the agreement was to deliver it to the Seattle Mercedes dealership and the transaction took place in their parking lot. I met Olga's driver next to the Mercedes dealership in Seattle about noon on Friday. Here is my car on his truck. It has been on at least five trucks to get from Anaconda MT to Seattle WA. He rolled it off and I paid him. Then I drove my car a few hundred feet to the Mercedes service department.

[caption id="attachment_36357" align="aligncenter" width="300"]My car about to roll off the last truck.[/caption]

A work order was filled out and waiting. My experienced changed once the Seattle Dealership had my car. They had the problem diagnosed by the end of the day. They are very jQuery(document).ready(function($){jQuery(function(){jQuery("#msg_137793").css("overflow-y", "hidden");});});

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:27:44 PM by K-Dog »

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Totality: The Repair Adventure
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
A supreme act of Jewish lighting would settle the deal mucho pronto amigo....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »
Lesson to be learned:

"Not all Mercedes Dealerships are created Equal.  Some are more Equal than others."

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
A supreme act of Jewish lighting would settle the deal mucho pronto amigo....

The Mercedes sales agent joked with me when I did not know where Olga had my car that if it was actually stolen I'd come out $$ ahead.  I was not amused.  Having had to fight for the value of an older Mercedes once before; a 1974 450 SEL that was rear ended at a stop light by a Brinks truck in 1999, Jewish Lighting would be a last resort.  Brinks trucks have quarter inch steel plate all around, very heavy!  They total anything they hit at 30 mph.  Had I not been in a Mercedes I probably would have been smashed like a bug.

As it was I passed out when my car went airborne from the hammer blow and landed on the Chevy in front of me.  The Chevy, driven by an illegal Mexican tried to drive away with its rear end smashed to the ground.  He only got two blocks and nobody cared that he was illegal, since he was, like me, one wronged. 

They would have saved a lot of time if they had just opened the Brinks truck and said to me: Help yourself!  Sadly I don't think the Mexican ever got compensated for his Chevy.  I don't think he ever understood that under the circumstances nobody would be trying to deport him.  This was a State not a Federal case and WA State jurisprudence will not let the Federal matter of citizenship interfere with a driving issue.  I recall the Chevy was clean and shined with pride. 

People don't have to be citizens to get a WA State drivers license.  WA State is big on everyone who drives must have a license and you are in big trouble if you don't have a valid drivers license and you are stopped by the law.  Being licensed to drive if you are driving is more important than being a citizen here.  The civil courts are sanctuary courts with WA State having a long tradition of co-existing with migrant labor with the intent, I believe, of treating them fairly.  We have to pay extra for an enhanced license since a WA State license does not prove citizenship should we need one to drive to Canada, or in a few months, fly.

Then again if you have ever deserted from the Armed Forces or anything like that and are a fugitive it would be good to use the address of a relative when renewing your drivers license so you have advance warning of any knocks on the door.  But, being a fugitive and being a Mexican are not the same thing.  I have never been a Mexican.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:25:30 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Totality: The Last Great Adventure
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
Ah, yes....

Living under the radar ! Excellent approach.
When dealing with Pi-Ra-Tes ALWAYS WALK THE INVISIBLE LINE.

I had a '74 450 SEL. Nice ride.

I love the German car feel on the road. My Audi has the same feel to the road as the Benz did.
Best money pit going, German hot rods  :emthup:
In the next week I have to replace the steering rack & outer tie rods on the Audi.
I watched a u-tube vid on the procedure. No big deal.  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Path of Totality: SUN Eclipse T-shirts
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »
  A few Diners have PMed me about getting an Eclipse T-shirt.  We sold out at the Big Event in Rexburg, so currently I don't have any shirts available.  It's a very rare and valuable item, with only 20 produced in the first run.

However, if I get at least 12 Diners to Pre-Order one (or more), I can do a second run of the shirts.

SUN 4 Living 17
SUN 4 Living 17

They will come in cheaper for this run @$25/shirt, since I don't have to pay the concession $5/shirt now.  You can order any size from Child up to Adult XXXL,  I am currently wearing an XL, although I could fit in a L.  I like looser and baggier T-shirts.

If you were any spot along the Path of Totality during the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼, this shirt is a great memoribilia item.  It doesn't focus just on Rexburg, but has the whole Path of Totality map on it.  I am thinking though of embroidering a little Gold Star on my spot in Rexburg on my shirt.  :icon_sunny:

Even if you weren't there, it's a great looking shirt (we got tons of compliments AND it sold out at the exorbitant price of $30/shirt) and a great way to contribute to the SUN☼ Foundation.

Buy one for your wife and kids & grandkids as a Stocking Stuffer!  :icon_sunny:

PM me if you want some shirts and what sizes to order for you.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: Photographic Planning
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Blads are cool for sure, but $50K for a camera?  ::)

RE

I could not justify it, at the level at which I work, but there are many who could.
I'm having trouble justifying a Nikon 850.

There doesn't appear to even BE a Nikon 850 yet.  All the camera shops are selling are 810s.  B&H Photo is selling that body for $2200.  Now that is a reasonable price for a good camera.  My original Nikon F2S Photomic went for around $750 in 1974 dollars.  According to the Inflation Calculator, that's equivalent to $3919 2017 dollars.

That was a truly beautiful camera.

As beautiful and powerful as the technology is in the latest Blads, I seriously doubt the Human Eyeball could detect a difference in shots made by the same Photographer (Say Ansel Adams or Annie Liebovitz) between a Nikon D810 and a Hasselblad H5D at any enlargment up to Billboard size.  You would have to do some sales job on an employer to justify paying for a Blad, particularly since in 2 or 3 years they'll have an even BETTER one out!  When was the last time you got a camera upgrade from the employer?

That aspect was one of the advantages to the old Film technology.  The camera technology didn't change all that much, just lenses and films got better over the years.  The same camera body would last 10 or even 20 years.  My first real SLR camera after Kodak Instamatics was a hand-me-down Ricoh circa 1960 or so from Dad the Pigmen and lasted me until I got the Nikon in 1974.  It was still working fine when I retired it.  I only ever had one lens for it though, a 50mm.  I always coveted having a Telephoto and a Wide Angle for it, but never got them.  I finally got a 70-210 Vivitar Zoom Telephoto for the Nikon which was my Sports Photography lens while I was Photo Editor of the Columbia Spectator.  I was usually in the Darkroom in the wee hours 2 or 3 nights a week developing rolls of film, making contact sheets picking photos etc for the once a week publication of the Spectator.  Newzpaper photography was all B&W in those years.  Film speeds ran up to 1600ASA, but mostly you tried to use 400 or less because the 1600 was pretty grainy.

I also had in those years a Polaroid SX-70, which was the penultimate of Polaroid Instant picture technology.  It had a very clever Fold Up design and was also Single Lens Reflex, although no interchangeable lenses.  For cameras of the era, this made the Polaroid very EZ to carry around for quick Snapshots at family events and so forth.  Giving away snapshots was always welcomed and made you new friends (girls! lol).

The new Polaroid film technology got rid of all the messy chemical packages that came with the film itself and the Gel you had to wipe on to coat the paper once the developing finished.  It was color too, unlike the early Polaroid stuff which was all B&W.  The deficiencies of this system were of course many.  Having copies made meant the photo had to be re-photographed which lost some quality.  Then any Enlargement would lose still more quality.  So you were pretty much stuck with just the Snapshot size picture people of the era dropped in Photo Albums full of their Personal Memories.  My Mother had about a dozen of these albums including Pics going as far back as my Great Grand Parents over in Europe in the early part of the 20th Century, my sister inherited them when mom died and continued to curate them, I think she still does.

The Polaroid was really just a Gimmick though, and I only used it for a few years.  The Nikon was my Workhorse, from 1974 until the Digital Revolution came to cameras, sometime in the 1990s I think.  It was just before I went out Trucking I got my first digital camera, a Sony Cybershot not a lot different than an Instamatic except electronic
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: RE's Observation Post Nailed Down
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
I have been seeking the best locations for viewing the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ on August 21, 2017, 10 days shy of the 60th Anniversary of my Walking the Earth in this Meat Package.  I have now nailed it down.  Here are some of the best places across the swath to view this once in a lifetime cosmological event.

I will be viewing this from the Snake River Canyon around Idaho Falls.  It's right on the Interstate and EZ to get to with plenty of places to park the Rental Stealth Van.  I may not even overnight park it, just drive in early in the morning.  I'll look for people with RVs setting up Telescopes.  Amateur Astronomers will pick the best spots.  With just a small Dodge Grand Caravan, I should be able to squeeze in just about anywhere.

Snake River Canyon is of course also famous for one of the last of Evel Knievel's EPIC FAIL "motorcycle jumps".  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc</a>

Main thing is to make sure you are not in an area obscured by trees and also to maximize your Clear Skies probability.  This neighborhood in Idaho generally has good clear skies during this time of year.

The other main concern I have is making the VIDEO.  I am going to bring along my Super Duper JVC Sports VidCam that does Ultra-Slow-Mo and video at 240 frames/second.  My goal is to get RE Silhouetted against the Eclipsing SUN☼.  ;D.  However, the exposure settings on this are bound to be tricky, plus I only have ONE shot at it.  If I fuck up or the camera fucks up, no Timeless Video to post on the Diner Blog.  :'(  I won't be able to control exposure settings once I set the camera up and running on a tripod.  I think I can bracket the exposures though.

Suggestions for appropriate filters to use and exposure settings from other Photo Professionals and knowledgeable Amateurs are :hi:.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: RE's Observation Post Nailed Down
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
I have been seeking the best locations for viewing the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ on August 21, 2017, 10 days shy of the 60th Anniversary of my Walking the Earth in this Meat Package.  I have now nailed it down.  Here are some of the best places across the swath to view this once in a lifetime cosmological event.

I will be viewing this from the Snake River Canyon around Idaho Falls.  It's right on the Interstate and EZ to get to with plenty of places to park the Rental Stealth Van.  I may not even overnight park it, just drive in early in the morning.  I'll look for people with RVs setting up Telescopes.  Amateur Astronomers will pick the best spots.  With just a small Dodge Grand Caravan, I should be able to squeeze in just about anywhere.

Snake River Canyon is of course also famous for one of the last of Evel Knievel's EPIC FAIL "motorcycle jumps".  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Pghl2U0wVIw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/llzIVDbvSAc</a>

Main thing is to make sure you are not in an area obscured by trees and also to maximise your Clear Skies probability.  this neighborhood in Idaho generally has good clear skies during this time of year.

The other main concern I have is making the VIDEO.  I am going to bring along my Super Duper JVC Sports VidCam that does Ultra-Slow-Mo and video at 240 frames/second.  My goal is to get RE Silhouetted against the Eclipsing SUN☼.  ;D.  However, the exposure settings on this are bound to be tricky, plus I only have ONE shot at it.  If I fuck up or the camera fucks up, no Timeless Video to post on the Diner Blog.  :'(

Suggestions for appropriate filters to use and exposure settings from other Photo Professionals and knowledgeable Amateurs are :hi:.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
☀️ Total Solar Eclipse Set To Pass Over South Pacific, South America
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2019, 12:37:27 AM »
Not going to make it to the Path of Totality for this one.  Argentina is a bit far to travel to for an Eclipse (at least on my budget).  I'll hopefully still be above ground when the next one hits the Lower 48 in 2022 I think.  Right by Eddie's Toothstead.  :icon_sunny:

RE

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/28/736922360/get-a-glimpse-total-solar-eclipse-set-to-pass-over-south-pacific-south-america

Get A Glimpse: Total Solar Eclipse Set To Pass Over South Pacific, South America

June 28, 20193:21 PM ET
Joe Palca, photographed for NPR, 17 January 2019, in Washington DC.

This graphic shows the path of the solar eclipse on July 2 and how much you can see from different places. The yellow band represents the path of totality, or the areas in which a total eclipse will be visible. Other areas will be able to see a partial solar eclipse.
Michael Zeiler, greatamericaneclipse.com
Billions of fish in the Pacific Ocean will be treated to an awe-inspiring celestial event on July 2. That's because a total solar eclipse will be visible over a huge swath of the southern Pacific.

Land animals including humans in Chile and Argentina will also get to observe the total spectacle, as will anybody connected to the Internet. And most parts of South America will be able to see a partial eclipse.

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes in front of the sun. In an amazing cosmic coincidence, even though the moon is 400 times smaller than the sun, it's also 400 times closer ó so from Earth they appear to be the same size.
Save As Many As You Can