AuthorTopic: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"  (Read 13227 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
Some comedians are hard for me to even watch. Borat is one of those.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhqXla91vaE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DhqXla91vaE&fs=1</a>
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
That ain't Sacha. This is Sacha.

When i think of Sacha, this is what I think of:

Watching Ali G for the first time, I laughed until I pissed myself.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
Some comedians are hard for me to even watch. Borat is one of those.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DhqXla91vaE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DhqXla91vaE&fs=1</a>

I get that, but I think he is hilarious. Truly gifted. He must have drunk from Andy Kaufman's cup-- he has the same capacity to make you feel unsettled while you are watching, looking around and asking "WTF-- am I really seeing this?"
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Jewish too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8eB4PkCo4Lo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8eB4PkCo4Lo&fs=1</a>

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
That ain't Sacha. This is Sacha.

I think I'd look good in one of those. Wonder if Contrary would buy me one?

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
CoC Violation...

Where's a cop when u need one.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
CoC Violation...

Where's a cop when u need one.

What the mind's eye has seen it cannot unsee... :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
I watched this last night without any clear idea of what to expect. It overdelivered by an order of magnitude. In several ways.

It allows the swells and grandees of this country's drooling right-- the Joe Walshes, the Trent Lotts, the roy moores, to indict themselves with their own words.
As the author says, since this is a time when shame is dead—when the president can brag about sexually assault women and defend white supremacists—there's little chance any of these fools and mummers will be held accountable for the self-revelations Cohen elicits from them. (As we've seen in the run-up to this show, with last weeks faint-out by famed Wasilla hillbilly Sarah Palin, they will blame Cohen, and Showtime, for bamboozling them and giving them enough rope with which to hang themselves.)

Cohen's characteristic gross-out humor is ther, and oddly placed, and detracts from the asavage bite of the rest of the material. You'll see new characters you've never met before.

At his best, Cohen's characters are mirrors pointed directly at the xenophobic, homophobic, violent heart of America.

Sacha Baron Cohen Didn't Return to Humiliate Republicans. He's Here to End Careers.

Who Is America? is the comedian's most savage work since Borat.

Showtime

At one point during the first episode of Showtime'sWho Is America?, Larry Pratt, executive director of firearms lobbyist group Gun Owners of America, is cracking up over the idea of a man raping his own wife. This is before Sacha Baron Cohen, dressed as an Israeli anti-terrorism expert, convinces gun advocate Philip Van Cleave, to participate in a commercial for Kindergarten gun training in which children are encouraged to play with Uzi's disguised as teddy bears.

In any rational society, this would be more than enough to end the man's career. At the very least, it would be enough to start a conversation about pro-gun advocates and their love of these instruments of death. But this is America in 2018.

This is a country where Republican lawmakers looking into a camera and saying children should be taught how to kill with assault weapons and explosives (which Cohen gets them to do at the conclusion of Episode One) will likely engender support among some constituents. This is a country where reality TV star Donald Trump can be elected presidentafterhe's heard on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women. In fact, theAccess Hollywoodtape could have been a scene fromWho Is America?(if Billy Bush was trying to expose Trump's predatory nature, not laughing along with him).

What Cohen fearlessly sets out to do withWho Is America?is recreate moments like this through provocative comedy and subjects who are currently running the country. Unlike his previous characters, Ali G and Borat, and his less successful two follow-ups, Cohen isn't here to embarrass Americans and the occasional celebrity. This is about directly calling out lawmakers and, in some cases, tricking them into revealing their darkest natures. At his best, Cohen's characters are mirrors pointed directly at the xenophobic, homophobic, violent heart of America.

Sacha Baron Cohen as Borat. Shutterstock

In terms of subversive, provocative comedy, Cohen has stayed relatively quiet through much of the 2010s. He rose to prominence in the early 2000s with HBO's Da Ali G Show, where he played three different characters—the titular Ali G, Borat, and Bruno—all of whom got their own feature length films. Borat remains Cohen's most famous work, for which he even won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy.

But his 2012 comedy,The Dictator, received mixed reviews. As the country went to shit ahead of the 2016 election, he remained notably absent. This July 4, Cohen resurfaced on Twitter with a mysterious announcement. He dug up the old video of then-reality star Donald Trump threatening him for a 2003 interview with Ali G. His tweet warned that he’d been working on something for the last year and was coming for Trump.

Sacha Baron Cohen@SachaBaronCohen

A message from your President @realDonaldTrump on Independence Day

Since then, a number of Republicans—including Sarah Palin, Roy Moore, and radio host Joe Walsh—have shared their disgust at being duped by Cohen’s characters. They’ve even called for a boycott of Showtime. This has proved to be nothing but good promotion for the series.

Frank Thorp V@frankthorp

Roy Moore says he was duped by Sacha Baron Cohen for his new CBS/Showtime series & threatens legal action "If Showtime airs a defamatory attack on my character..."

Joe Walsh@WalshFreedom

I was rushed to the studio, production was a mess, I sat down and we started talking pro-Israel stuff, Israeli defense, and then out of left field the interviewer starts talking about how children should defend themselves against terrorist attacks.

The new show is structured as a series of interviews with a handful of new Cohen characters and unsuspecting rubes. There's the aforementioned Israeli anti-terrorism expert, an InfoWars-type conspiracy theorist who runs a website called Truthbary.org, an artistic ex-con, and a crunchy uber-liberal sporting an NPR shirt. These characters are deployed in specific situations to varying degrees of success.

Cohen uses the Israeli anti-terrorism expert to coax out the racism and violence of prominent Republican figures. The conspiracy theorist tries to unsuccessfully convince Bernie Sanders of a ridiculous plan to move the 99 percent over to the 1 percent. It doesn't work, and Sanders is the only one who leaves Episode One ofWho Is America?with his dignity still intact.

BERNIE SANDERS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO LEAVES EPISODE ONE OFWHO IS AMERICA? WITH HIS DIGNITY STILL INTACT.

Then there's the ex-con, who for some reason is trying to get his art (painted with his own bodily fluids) placed in a gallery. During a conversation with a gallery owner, the ex-con persuades her to donate her own pubic hair to use as his brush. It's absolutely disgusting, and it's weird, and it doesn't exactly track with the political leanings of the rest of the episode. The same goes for the liberal character in this episode, who sits down with a few (surprisingly) patient Trump supporters to explain that he's training his daughter to menstruate on the American Flag. Again, it's some of Cohen's classic gross-out humor that doesn't really go beyond shock value. These feel more like asides to the substance, and little more than filler to the bigger issues.

It's when he talks with lawmakers, lobbyists, and conservative talking heads that he does something impressive. The first episode ends with a half dozen Republican leaders voicing their approval of training American child soldiers. It's truly sickening that they will read—on camera—anything put in front of them and will go to such shameful lengths to appease gun nuts.

But since this is a time whenshame is dead—when the president can brag about sexually assault women and defend white supremacists—there's very little chance these people will be held accountable for the things Cohen gets them to do or say. (As we've seen in the run-up to this show, they will blame Cohen, and Showtime, for bamboozling them.) So what, exactly, is Cohen trying to accomplish? It's not like comedians and late-night hosts have slowed down Trump and his followers. WithWho Is America?, Cohen is giving these conservatives the encouragement and the platform to be themselves—to reveal their true natures and extreme views. It likely won't change anything. But, at the very least, his viewers can take some small, sick pleasure out of watching this country's ruling class make assholes of themselves on TV.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
U.S. Officials ‘at a Fucking Loss’ Over Latest Russia Sell Out
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2018, 02:18:37 AM »
U.S. Officials ‘at a Fucking Loss’ Over Latest Russia Sell Out

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY THE DAILY BEAST

PERSONA NON GRATA

The White House’s refusal to rule out turning over former U.S. ambassador Michael McFaul to the Russians has current and former State Department officials seeing red.

07.18.18 5:36 PM ET

Current and former American diplomats are expressing disgust and horror over the White House’s willingness to entertain permitting Russian officials to question a prominent former U.S. ambassador.

One serving diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he was “at a fucking loss” over comments that can be expected to chill American diplomacy in hostile or authoritarian countries – a comment echoed by former State Department officials as well.

“It’s beyond disgraceful. It’s fundamentally ignorant with regard to how we conduct diplomacy or what that means. It really puts in jeopardy the professional independence of diplomats anywhere in the world, if the consequence of their actions is going to be potentially being turned over to a foreign government,” the U.S. diplomat told The Daily Beast.

During President Trump’s press conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, Putin pivoted a question about extraditing the 12 Russian intelligence officers whom Robert Mueller has indicted into a quid pro quo for going after longtime betes noire currently beyond his reach.

Putin singled out Bill Browder, whose exposure of widespread Russian tax fraud led to the passage of a U.S. human rights sanctions law Putin hates. Standing next to Trump, the Russian president accused Browder of masterminding an illegal campaign contribution to Hillary Clinton and alleging vaguely that he had “solid reason to believe that some intelligence officers guided these transactions.” Should Trump permit the Russians to question people around Browder, Putin hinted, he will let Mueller’s people be “present at questioning” of the intelligence officers.

“The president has his interests at the top of his mind, as opposed to the government’s. That’s very clear over the past week and a half, between shitting on our NATO allies and kissing Putin’s ass.”

— current U.S. diplomat

On Wednesday, Russian prosecutors escalated the stakes. The prosecutor-general’s office said it wanted to interview Michael McFaul, the former U.S. ambassador to Russia, another Putin bete noire. McFaul—the Obama-era ambassador to Moscow—replied on Twitter that the Russians know well that he wasn’t even in Russia during the relevant time frame for any case against Browder.

At the White House, however, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders declined to rule out permitting the Russians to question McFaul. Sanders said that there had been “some conversation” in Helsinki about the issue, though Trump made no “commitment.”

“The president is gonna meet with his team and we’ll let you know when we have an announcement on that,” Sanders said.

By contrast, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert called the Russian request for McFaul “absolutely absurd”—which was closer in line with how former U.S. diplomats viewed Putin’s gambit.

“If the U.S. would make a former diplomat avail for questioning by a foreign government without evidence of wrongdoing, then that would be quite horrifying,” said Ron Neumann, a former ambassador to Afghanistan and current president of the American Academy of Diplomacy.

Susan Rice, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and Barack Obama’s national security adviser, tweeted that the lack of commitment to protecting McFaul was “beyond outrageous. Amb. McFaul served our country honorably and with full diplomatic immunity. If the White House cannot defend and protect our diplomats, like our service members, they are serving a hostile foreign power not the American people.”

McFaul did not respond to a request for comment.

David Wade, who was Secretary of State John Kerry’s chief of staff, said that the White House refusal to disavow Putin on McFaul crossed a line “from demoralizing to dangerous” for American diplomats.

“To even hint that there’s some element of credibility to Russian disruptions and distractions puts a bullseye on the back of any diplomat and invites authoritarian regimes to bully and threaten American public servants for the crime of doing their job. No administration should require a lesson or reminder in why this is reprehensible,” Wade said.

“To hint that there’s some element of credibility to Russian distractions invites authoritarian regimes to threaten American public servants for the crime of doing their job.”

— Former State Department official David Wade

Ned Price, a former CIA analyst and spokesman for the Obama National Security Council, said Sanders’ comments made Trump look “even weaker” than during Trump’s Monday press conference with Putin. “Trump has always been all too eager to cave to Putin, but, as far as we know, it’d been largely in the abstract. He sells out our intelligence community, attacks NATO, shelves our commitment to human rights. But Putin now has specific demands in the form of human beings—one of them formerly our designated representative to Russia,” Price said.

“By failing to reject the idea out of hand – immediately and forcefully – Trump signaled that absolutely nothing is off limits when it comes to Putin. And just as shocking, he’s willing to play Putin’s brand of ball, in which the world is purely transactional and lives are expendable.”

The current U.S. diplomat said the openness to turning over McFaul capped off a shocking week for U.S. geopolitics.

“The president has first and foremost his interests at the top of his mind, as opposed to the government’s. That’s very clear over the past week and a half, between shitting on our NATO allies and kissing Putin’s ass,” the diplomat said. “He cares more about himself than the nation and any of us who serve it.”

The diplomat continued: “Either he’s compromised by Putin or he’s a pussy, in which case he should grab himself.”

—with additional reporting by Sam Stein

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »
Former diplomat? Browder?  I'd say that's putting lipstick on a pig.

But Putin is bound to have the goods on Trump. Why wouldn't he? Trump is up to his eyeballs in dirty Russian money. He and Browder are more alike than they are different. Browder just got away from Putin and turned on him.

Putin knows where ALL the bodies are buried. Every time Trump thinks the word "Putin" his butthole puckers.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2018, 05:28:12 AM »
Former diplomat? Browder?  I'd say that's putting lipstick on a pig.

But Putin is bound to have the goods on Trump. Why wouldn't he? Trump is up to his eyeballs in dirty Russian money. He and Browder are more alike than they are different. Browder just got away from Putin and turned on him.

Putin knows where ALL the bodies are buried. Every time Trump thinks the word "Putin" his butthole puckers.

Browder was a banker. McFall is the diplomat.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:25 AM »
Before you break bad on Bill Browder, I'd listen to this.
I place 100 per cent faith in Preet Bharara as an honest broker, BTW.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/death-sergei-magnitsky-bill-browder/

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
Donalditry is not slidng out from under this one so easily.

Methinks the non-stick cooking surface is wearing off the Teflon Don.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »
Before you break bad on Bill Browder, I'd listen to this.
I place 100 per cent faith in Preet Bharara as an honest broker, BTW.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/death-sergei-magnitsky-bill-browder/

Thanks. I'm not up to speed. I've been avoiding the news again. I'll try to pay attention. But hedge fund managers doing biz in Russia in Browder's time would have had to be very aware of corruption from the get-go, and willing to go along to get along, at least to a certain point. In the interest of outsize returns. I am listening to the audio. ty.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2018, 07:47:10 AM »
So...according to Browder, the Russian Oligarchs were treating their new companies exactly like the clowns in the penny stock world here. Giving themselves and their friends shares for next to nothing.  Selling themselves oil cheap and then reselling it and pocketing the difference . Watering down their stock with excessive capital raises.

In other words, the same things that happen here on the pink sheets every swingin' day.

He wasn't outing them because he was some white knight. They were taking money he figured was his by rights. That's the part he isn't telling us. He tried to put powerful people under legal scrutiny to protect his interests. What did he really expect would happen?

Still listening....not done.