AuthorTopic: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"  (Read 11729 times)

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
Before you break bad on Bill Browder, I'd listen to this.
I place 100 per cent faith in Preet Bharara as an honest broker, BTW.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/death-sergei-magnitsky-bill-browder/

I don't doubt Browder's story about Putin coming after him. Or the explanations about how they were able to get their money out, and what happened later with the police....and that Putin is essentially the Godfather. Magnitsky took the fall for Browder.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Before you break bad on Bill Browder, I'd listen to this.
I place 100 per cent faith in Preet Bharara as an honest broker, BTW.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/death-sergei-magnitsky-bill-browder/

I don't doubt Browder's story about Putin coming after him. Or the explanations about how they were able to get their money out, and what happened later with the police....and that Putin is essentially the Godfather. Magnitsky took the fall for Browder.

He absolutely did. And Browder knows it, which is why he lobbied so hard for the Magnitsky act. He owes a life.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
So...according to Browder, the Russian Oligarchs were treating their new companies exactly like the clowns in the penny stock world here. Giving themselves and their friends shares for next to nothing.  Selling themselves oil cheap and then reselling it and pocketing the difference . Watering down their stock with excessive capital raises.

In other words, the same things that happen here on the pink sheets every swingin' day.

He wasn't outing them because he was some white knight. They were taking money he figured was his by rights. That's the part he isn't telling us. He tried to put powerful people under legal scrutiny to protect his interests. What did he really expect would happen?

Still listening....not done.

Here's my take: The big fortunes were made with the end of the Soviet state, and favored insiders getting whole industry sectors for pennies. Some were winners; some losers (remember Boris Beresovsky?) What Browder was guilty of was getting the timing right. How? I don't know. But he liquidated his Russian assets, paid his taxes, and that should have been that. Except it wasn't.  His shit was raided, his paperwork distributed to Russian mafiosi, and a case constructed to accuse him of tax evasion. Browder hired Magnitsky, an accountant to unwind the scam.  He came to believe that organized criminals used the seized records to take over three of Browder's Russian companies and  fraudulently reclaimed a lot of the taxes previously paid. He did it too well, and was treated to the famed Putin hospitality at the Magnitsky suite at the  Butyrka prison in Moscow.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:22:56 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
Agree completely.

I wouldn't want to be a Browder or a Skripal. Nobody can ever really be safe from Putin. Sure reminds me a of another Russian from several years back. No wonder the Russians love him. He fits the mold perfectly.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
I'm glad I listened to Browder's interview. He comes across as very, very credible, and as a genuine crusader for justice.

Nothing he said about Putin surprises me, and I understand much better why Putin is out to get him. He's the kind of American the rest of the world has to take seriously. Smart, matter of fact. In possession of the facts, and (surprising to me) willing to risk his own life in pursuit of justice for his friend who got murdered. It's that last part that's really rare in the Wall Street world.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
But Browder is a Brit now, by change of citizenship. Says he emigrated 29 years ago.

So Trump can't trade him cause he don't own him.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »
I'm glad I listened to Browder's interview. He comes across as very, very credible, and as a genuine crusader for justice.

Nothing he said about Putin surprises me, and I understand much better why Putin is out to get him. He's the kind of American the rest of the world has to take seriously. Smart, matter of fact. In possession of the facts, and (surprising to me) willing to risk his own life in pursuit of justice for his friend who got murdered. It's that last part that's really rare in the Wall Street world.

Am gratified that you reached the same assessment of Browder that I did. Thank's for listening.
Preet's podcast is a weekly must-listen for the radio-jaded commuter.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:30:16 AM by Surly1 »

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »

Hey, Eddie, before you go back to ignoring the ugly news, and before you are so certain that Browder is such a smart upstanding guy, please do me a favor and read the account on the UNZ Review Of what really went down by Israel Shamir, backed by Sy Hirsh, two really upstanding righteous Jews that I happen to adore. It might alter your view quite a bit. I would love to know what you think. Thanks

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2018, 03:00:45 AM »

Hey, Eddie, before you go back to ignoring the ugly news, and before you are so certain that Browder is such a smart upstanding guy, please do me a favor and read the account on the UNZ Review Of what really went down by Israel Shamir, backed by Sy Hirsh, two really upstanding righteous Jews that I happen to adore. It might alter your view quite a bit. I would love to know what you think. Thanks

"Israel Shamir..." that's RE's favorite journalist!

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »

I think someone neglected to post my post. Was it on purpose? What gives? Is someone afraid of a true perspective ?

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:28 AM »

I think someone neglected to post my post. Was it on purpose? What gives? Is someone afraid of a true perspective ?

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,9921.msg158140.html#msg158140

Read for comprehension.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2018, 05:26:37 AM »

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,9921.msg158140.html#msg158140

Read for comprehension.
               So sorry. My mistake. Sometimes it's hard to find one's post hours and hours after it was posted.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »

Read for comprehension.
               So sorry. My mistake. Sometimes it's hard to find one's post hours and hours after it was posted.

Nonsense. It was two posts up from the one you made. You're just complaining about the lack of 24/7 concierge service.
The next such post will be DOA.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
200 Years of U.S. Immigration Looks Like the Rings of a Tree
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2018, 05:44:03 AM »
200 Years of U.S. Immigration Looks Like the Rings of a Tree

These data visualizers imagined each era of U.S. immigration as a ring in a growing tree trunk.

U.S. IMMIGRATION BY ORIGIN AT BIRTH, 1830-2015

Each single dash represents 100 immigrants.

Each ring represents one decade.

[Surly note: text text overlays for the key are screwed up in html. See original for the key.]

BY PEDRO M. CRUZ AND JOHN WIHBEY

PUBLISHED JUNE 28, 2018

From policy particulars to deep questions of morality, the issue of immigration in the United States has come up with fierce urgency in recent weeks.

But today’s immigration battles take place within a long, slowly accruing history that is difficult to grasp in its sheer scale and complexity. Tens of millions of people who represent every corner of the globe have immigrated to the U.S. over the last two centuries. The picture that emerges over time can resembles a living organism, which inspired this graphic.

Trees’ annual growth rings reflect varying environmental conditions, and these forms are not perfect circles or ellipses. The algorithm for this immigration graphic is inspired by the regular shifts and irregular shapes of these natural organisms. (Read: “Scenes From a Migration Crisis—On Both Sides of the Border.”)

Like countries, trees can be hundreds, even thousands, of years old. Cells grow slowly, and the pattern of growth influences the shape of the trunk. Just as these cells leave an informational mark in the tree, so too do incoming immigrants contribute to the country’s shape.

These immigration “rings” expand during years when certain welcoming factors are prevalent, such as when American immigration policies become less restrictive and its economy offers greater opportunity. The “rings” tend to stay slim during years of war or economic upheaval.

The origins of U.S. immigrant populations also transform from era to era. In the 1840s and 1880s, European immigrants came mainly from northern and western Europe, whereas the famous influx of the early 1900s, symbolized by Ellis Island’s gateway, emanated mostly from southern and eastern Europe. Immigration from Asia rose between 1970 and 2000, while large-scale immigration from Latin America began in 1950 and lasted for half a century. Immigration from Africa only becomes visible in the 21st century, though early U.S. Census data omits populations of slaves and indigenous communities.

Pedro M. Cruz, a professor of information visualization, and John Wihbey, a professor of journalism, are both based at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts.

Visualization: Pedro M. Cruz, John Wihbey, Avni Ghael and Felipe Shibuya, Data Storytelling and Exploration Collaborative research team, CAMD Northeastern University. Data: IPUMS.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2018, 07:21:11 AM »

Nonsense. It was two posts up from the one you made. You're just complaining about the lack of 24/7 concierge service.
The next such post will be DOA.

Slow learner, KK. Try to keep up.