AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Daily  (Read 151239 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Smith's Column
« Reply #1395 on: May 22, 2020, 06:26:47 AM »
If Ben Smith's column is a weak criticism of Ronan Farrow's book, then Aishley Feinberg's criticism of Smith's column in Slate  is an even weaker rebuttal.

Here is a question I have.

From about the year 2000 until 2009 or 2010, Farrow (admittedly a very bright and ambitious young man)  looked headed for a career in diplomacy and world politics. He then very abruptly changed his direction and decided to be the number one advocate for women abused by powerful men.

Why did he suddenly veer off path? He wrote a fairly decent book about those years.....that nobody much read. it got tepid reviews. I think there is something there to understand.....I'm sure his many biographers will get to that eventually.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Ronan Farrow
« Reply #1396 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »

To the degree that I might be a beneficiary of being born pale (which has made me susceptible to skin cancer, btw) I am glad to take it. People, real people, either take what is handed to them and use it...or they don't. Those who don't fail to thrive, and end up old, poor, and full of rationalizations, usually.

In my view this applies to all races, equally.

Making it great to be you. Being a white male, you are a full American citizen. Others are conditional citizens. They enjoy the same rights as you, but only under certain conditions.

The liberal narrative is dishonest at the core, and dominated by special groups all clamoring for their rights....All people should have the same rights...the Constitution got that right....no special rights are needed.....just equal protection under the law.

Checkmate. "Equal protection under the law" applies only to those accorded full American citizenship. For others, not so much.It's probably been this way since the inception of the USA, but has certainly been that way since Reconstruction. (See Fruit, Strange.)

You need to listen to my criticism, or prepare to become increasingly enslaved. Your choice.
You need to wake the fuck up, or not. Your choice.

I check my facts, and I'm scrupulously honest. In the sea of crap that passes for journalism these days, being wrong occasionally is almost unavoidable.

Clearly not. And your characterization of journalism is mistaken. How about a chorus of "fake news?"

To assess the Ben Smith/ronan Farrow flap adequately would require a level of knowledge that only an editor would have. I showed you yesterday a twitter thread from a New Yorker editor with far better knowledge than either of us how he navigated a thicket of weeds and come down on Farrow's side. Doesn't matter to you; you obviously didn't even read it.

So don't whine to me about the state of journalism when your mind is already made up.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1397 on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:18 AM »

From about the year 2000 until 2009 or 2010, Farrow (admittedly a very bright and ambitious young man)  looked headed for a career in diplomacy and world politics. He then very abruptly changed his direction and decided to be the number one advocate for women abused by powerful men.

Why did he suddenly veer off path? He wrote a fairly decent book about those years.....that nobody much read. it got tepid reviews. I think there is something there to understand.....I'm sure his many biographers will get to that eventually.

That's actually a good question. No answer here.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 22, 2020, 06:33:58 AM »

That's actually a good question. No answer here.

I think I know the answer, at least in part. But I leave it as a thought question for anybody who likes to think.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1399 on: May 22, 2020, 06:50:15 AM »
If Ben Smith's column is a weak criticism of Ronan Farrow's book, then Aishley Feinberg's criticism of Smith's column in Slate  is an even weaker rebuttal.

I disagree vigorously. I just finished Feinberg's piece, reading it thoroughly. The exegesis of the reporting about the HRC/Weinstein connection and Smith's handling of same is absolutely top-notch.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 22, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »

I disagree vigorously. I just finished Feinberg's piece, reading it thoroughly. The exegesis of the reporting about the HRC/Weinstein connection and Smith's handling of same is absolutely top-notch.

Farrow...think of Icarus, looking to find the sun. 

He is a very bright star who has put himself at the head of what looks a lot like a mob to me....let's see if he can keep the herd moving or if he gets tragically killed in the big stampede scene.

I like my journalists jaded and cynical...and if they get celebrity, I like it to be later, after a career of hard drinking and truth telling.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
FYI
« Reply #1401 on: May 22, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »
The source of my outrageous claim about Farrow and Allen.. I knew I didn't make it up.

I expect we're talking about a misunderstanding .....that arose out of not fully being aware of the corporate structure of Farrow's publisher.

Ronan Farrow says he'll cut ties with the publisher of his book 'Catch and Kill' after it acquired the rights to his estranged father Woody Allen's memoir

Rosie Perper Mar 4, 2020, 12:31 AM

Ronan Farrow said he's cutting ties with the publisher of his book "Catch and Kill" after learning it had acquired the rights to his estranged father Woody Allen's memoir.

In a statement Tuesday, Farrow said that he was disappointed by the publishing company's decision and that his sister Dylan Farrow, who has repeatedly accused Allen of sexual abuse, was not contacted for comment or fact-checking.

Farrow's book detailed his struggles reporting on the Harvey Weinstein rape allegations. Weinstein was convicted of rape and sexual assault last month.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Ronan Farrow, the author of the nonfiction book "Catch and Kill," which explored his struggles reporting on the Harvey Weinstein rape allegations, has cut ties with his publisher after it acquired the rights to his estranged father Woody Allen's memoir.

Hachette Book Group, which published Farrow's book, announced on Monday that one of its divisions would be publishing Allen's memoir, titled "Apropos of Nothing."

"'Apropos of Nothing' is a comprehensive account of Woody Allen's life, both personal and professional, and describes his work in films, theater, television, nightclubs, and print," Grand Central Publishing wrote in its description of the book. "Allen also writes of his relationships with family, friends, and the loves of his life."

In a statement on Twitter, Farrow announced that he was cutting ties with the publishing company.

"I was disappointed to learn through press reports that Hachette, my publisher, acquired Woody Allen's memoir after other major publishers refused to do so and concealed the decision from me and its own employees while we were working on Catch and Kill a book about how powerful men, including Woody Allen, avoid accountability for sexual abuse," he wrote.

Farrow said his sister Dylan Farrow, who has accused Allen of sexual abuse, was not contacted to comment on her claims that Allen abused her when she was a child.

"It's wildly unprofessional in multiple obvious directions for Hachette to behave this way," Farrow wrote.

"I've encouraged Hachette, out of respect for its readers, authors and reputation, to conduct a thorough fact check of Woody Allen's account, in particular, any claim that implies my sister is not telling the truth," he added. "I've also told Hachette that a publisher that would conduct itself in this way is one I can't work with in good conscience."

In an email exchange between Farrow and Hachette CEO Michael Pietsch that was obtained by The New York Times, Farrow told the publisher to "imagine this were your sister."

"As you and I worked on 'Catch and Kill' a book in part about the damage Woody Allen did to my family you were secretly planning to publish a book by the person who committed those acts of sexual abuse," Farrow wrote in an email, according to The Times.

Pietsch told The Times that he called Farrow on Monday after hearing from the author's agent that he was upset over the publishing decision.

"We do not allow anyone's publishing program to interfere with anyone else's," Pietsch told The Times. "Our job as a publisher is to help the author achieve what they have set out to do in the creation of their book."

Hachette Book Group did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ronan-farrow-cuts-ties-with-publisher-over-woody-allen-memoir-2020-3
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:18:56 AM by Eddie »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1402 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

I like my journalists jaded and cynical...and if they get celebrity, I like it to be later, after a career of hard drinking and truth telling.

I think that went out with the press card stuck in the band of the fedora. Altogether too few Mike Roykos, Studs Terkels, Jack Andersons or Sy Hershes these days. To say nothing of H.L. Mencken, Upton Sinclair, I.F. Stone, John Reed, A.J. Liebling, Ida Tarbell.

Reporters worth following include Jeremy Scahill, Matt Taibbi, Robert Fisk, Greg Palast, John Pilger, Radley Balko, Masha Gennen, George packer, Nick Lemann, Robert Langewiesche (sp?), and others too numerous to name.

Note that I specifically omit Bob Woodward. Here is why: http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2014/01/15/bob-woodward-in-norfolk/

RIP Gary Webb.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: FYI
« Reply #1403 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
The source of my outrageous claim about Farrow and Allen.. I knew I didn't make it up.

I expect we're talking about a misunderstanding .....that arose out of not fully being aware of the corporate structure of Farrow's publisher.

Ronan Farrow says he'll cut ties with the publisher of his book 'Catch and Kill' after it acquired the rights to his estranged father Woody Allen's memoir

It appears you are correct. Here's a screen shot of the search box I have open on my computer right now:

Apparently Little, Brown rolls up under the Hatchette Book group.
https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/imprints/

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 22, 2020, 03:17:05 PM »

I think that went out with the press card stuck in the band of the fedora. Altogether too few Mike Roykos, Studs Terkels, Jack Andersons or Sy Hershes these days. To say nothing of H.L. Mencken, Upton Sinclair, I.F. Stone, John Reed, A.J. Liebling, Ida Tarbell.

Reporters worth following include Jeremy Scahill, Matt Taibbi, Robert Fisk, Greg Palast, John Pilger, Radley Balko, Masha Gennen, George packer, Nick Lemann, Robert Langewiesche (sp?), and others too numerous to name.

Note that I specifically omit Bob Woodward. Here is why: http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2014/01/15/bob-woodward-in-norfolk/

RIP Gary Webb.

I would add John Steinbeck, John Pilger, Tom Wolfe and of course Dr. Hunter S Thompson.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 22, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »

RIP Gary Webb.

I would add John Steinbeck, John Pilger, Tom Wolfe and of course Dr. Hunter S Thompson.

RE

Herrb Caen
Gary Cartwright
Bud Shrake
Louis Black
Ronnie Dugger
Molly Ivins
Jim Hightower
Kay Northcott

Earnest Fucking Hemingway, by God, and by way of the Kansas City Star.

I loved Studs Terkel's books, btw.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 22, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »

RIP Gary Webb.

RE

Herrb Caen
Gary Cartwright
Bud Shrake
Louis Black
Ronnie Dugger
Molly Ivins
Jim Hightower
Kay Northcott

Jimmy Breslin was pretty good columnist on the NY Shitty beat.  Also let's not forget Sydney Schanberg.  Or in video media, Edward R. Murrow.  Photojournalism, Robert Capa.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Daily
« Reply #1407 on: May 22, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
Speaking of NY......how could I forget Nat Hentoff.He was a hero of mine when I was a library work-study kid at SFA...I read him religiously.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 22, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »

RIP Gary Webb.

RE

Herrb Caen
Gary Cartwright
Bud Shrake
Louis Black
Ronnie Dugger
Molly Ivins
Jim Hightower
Kay Northcott

Jimmy Breslin was pretty good columnist on the NY Shitty beat.  Also let's not forget Sydney Schanberg.  Or in video media, Edward R. Murrow.  Photojournalism, Robert Capa.

RE

Photojournalism again, Dorothea Lange.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Daily
« Reply #1409 on: May 22, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
Carl Hiassen was a good journalist....I think he only writes his genre fiction now though...maybe he quit the newspaper...or they fired him because he kept too good a tabs  on the crooks in Tallahassee.