AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Daily  (Read 26022 times)

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Daily
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
Interesting but has no relevance to me, my views, or most of the people known by be who are anti-abortion.

Yeah, you have a really, really narrow focus. I get that.

For your information, Planned Parenthood probably did more to prevent abortions than all the holier-than-thou legislators in the whole country put together, because they provided birth control at low or no cost to young women.

By taking a stand against birth control, it makes it MORE likely for some unfortunate women to need to kill her own baby, since it leaves her with the option of doing that or carrying an unwanted baby to full term and then sacrificing her own young life to raise the child, or alternately, abruptly severing the relationship with the child she just carried for 40 weeks, a part of her own body, and giving it up for adoption.

I don't believe I ever met anyone who really likes the idea of abortion as a form of birth control. It's an ugly event. Yes, a viable human embryo is killed. I find that repugnant, personally. I wouldn't try to sugar-coat it. It sucks. In my view it leaves the woman with permanent emotional scars that never quite heal. Always and forever. And maybe the young man involved too, if he has a heart.

But there is substantial evidence that unwanted babies born to unmarried poor women in our ghettos in this country grow up to be violent criminals. By doing what we are doing now to reverse what was done legally, we are guaranteeing a return to high levels of violent crime within a couple of decades. That matters too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:44:12 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »

Now Now Edward. You can't expect everyone to have your smarts.

Be kind to those who don't have your exceptional insights and depth of understanding.

Will reexamine your thoughts on how killing millions of babies is really a wonderful helpful practice when one, with smarts like yours of course, takes the time to study the hard data.

Thanks for the sadness and empathy you feel for all involved as well, your tearing up over it reveals a truly kind and loving soul.  :emthup: :emthup:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2018, 05:55:04 AM »

Be kind to those who don't have your exceptional insights and depth of understanding.

Will reexamine your thoughts on how killing millions of babies is really a wonderful helpful practice when one, with smarts like yours of course, takes the time to study the hard data.

Thanks for the sadness and empathy you feel for all involved as well, your tearing up over it reveals a truly kind and loving soul.  :emthup: :emthup:

GO, you expressed a different POV, deposited it, and then announced you were quitting the thread lest I start posting pictures of women slaughter by back-alley abortionists. I know how those inflame your delicate sensibilities. Because they inflame my own.

Eddie as offered an opposing but thoughtful view. I would ask that you respect that, and reply in kind, rather than with sarcasm and ad hom, as in your final statement above. It is unseemly, and you can do better.

Abortion is one of those issues where people on both sides dehumanize their opponents, the better to slaughter them without scruple or consequence. If conservatives took more concern for the child that results from a pregnancy and for the mother that bore it, as opposed to scrupulously focusing on the fetus, they would make a better argument.

The end-game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step-by-step rechattelization of women.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 5/26
« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2018, 06:32:19 AM »

Doomstead Diner Daily 5/26

Page loading slowly? The Diner Daily is available HERE with even MORE sections and stories:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/news/

News digest brought to you by the Doomstead Diner.

ACLU: Border agents physically abused migrant children

thehill.com - A blistering report released this week alleges that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents neglected and abused more than 100 migrant children who were in their custody. The report, from the…

Federal Agencies Lost Track of Nearly 1,500 Migrant Children Placed With Sponsors

[url=http://www.nytimes.com]www.nytimes.com[/url] - To prevent similar episodes, the Homeland Security and Health and Human Services Departments signed a memorandum of understanding in 2016, and agreed to establish joint procedures within one year for…

Letter to Black America on Palestinian Rights | Black Agenda Report

Image result for palestinian rights black america

blackagendareport.com - "It is time for our people to once again demand that the silence be broken." On 15 May 2007, 22 Black American professors, writers, religious figures, and other leaders issued a call to Black America…

Newsbud Exclusive- Korea Rapprochement and War Industry Ire

[url=http://www.newsbud.com]www.newsbud.com[/url] - The leaders of North and South Korea – Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in, respectively – have agreed to work together to rid the Korean peninsula of nuclear weaponry and to turn the 1953 armistice into a p…

Donald Trump Has Liberated Koreans From the Illusion That America Is Helping Them

theintercept.com - While officials in North Korea and South Korea were apparently unaware of the cancellation until Trump announced it, South Korean President Moon Jae-in indicated that his reconciliation efforts would…

David Brooks: While My Caviar Gently Weeps

driftglass.blogspot.com - Local Man Who Believed Saddam Hussein Had an Advanced Nuclear Weapons Program and Still Thinks Lincoln Unified the United States and If We Show Respect to Rightwingers It Will End School Shootings Am…

Vox Sentences: Harvey Weinstein in handcuffs

[url=http://www.vox.com]www.vox.com[/url] - Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what's happening in the world. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archi…

Boris Johnson Warns May to ‘Get On With It’ and Deliver Brexit

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com]www.bloomberg.com[/url] - Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson set Theresa May a list of Brexit demands, saying she must “get on with” taking the U.K. out of the European Union’s trading rules as fast as possible. In an exclusive …

Scott Pruitt introduced anti-abortion bills giving men ‘property rights’ over fetuses

grist.org - This story was originally published by HuffPost and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration. In 1999, Scott Pruitt, then an Oklahoma state senator, introduced a bill to grant men…

Opinion | Devin Nunes doesn't want oversight. He wants to gather intel for Trump.

[url=http://www.nbcnews.com]www.nbcnews.com[/url] - In the intelligence community, we were taught that the most valuable information an officer can collect is both relevant and actionable — relevant to policymakers and actionable in the sense that it …

Where Did the Deadly Nipah Virus Come From — And What Other Outbreaks Should We Expect?

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - News of virus outbreaks often seems to come out of nowhere: One day, no one's heard of a virus, and the next, it's dominating headlines — like the Nipah virus outbreak in India. Or, you may have thou…

Exclusive: Pakistan seeks economic lifeline with fresh China loans

[url=http://www.reuters.com]www.reuters.com[/url] - ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan expects to obtain fresh Chinese loans worth $1-2 billion to help it avert a balance of payments crisis, Pakistani government sources said, in another sign of Islamabad’…

Swarm of 200 earthquakes strikes Yellowstone super volcano

Swarm of 200 Earthquakes Hits Yellowstone - Here's What That Means

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - File photo: The Silex Spring in the Fountain Paint Pot area in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, June 21, 2011. (REUTERS/Jim Urquhart) A swarm of more than 200 earthquakes struck Yellowstone Nation…

8,000-Year-Old Heads on Stakes Found in Mysterious Underwater Grave

8,000-Year-Old Heads on Stakes Found in Mysterious Underwater Grave

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - The discovery of a burial containing 8,000-year-old battered human skulls, including two that still have pointed wooden stakes through them, has left archaeologists baffled, according to a new study …

The Untold Story of Japan’s Secret Spy Agency

theintercept.com - About 700 miles southwest of Tokyo, there are two small towns called Tachiarai and Chikuzen, which have a combined population of about 44,000 people. Japan’s military, known as the Self-Defense Force…

Subscribe to the Email Newsletter

Editor's note

The Doomstead Diner is a hub for discussion and information pertaining to the ongoing Economic Collapse of the Industrial Economy. The Diner is the result of many years of discussion and debate on many other forums. At Doomstead Diner, our goal is to collate much of the information we can to assist in planning for the world to come.<
[/quote]
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2018, 06:35:41 AM »
"The end game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step by step rechattelization of women."  Really? Are you saying that there was no free will or personal responsibility involved on the part of women who become pregnant?  Are you saying that in most all cases of pregnancy there was involuntary rape or physical cohersion  even on the part of middle and upper middle class women who find child bearing which they abhor so inconvenient to their clawing their way toward that glass ceiling, on the opposite side of which is the post modern decadent and poisoned fake and disappointing paradise of in reality further subservience of an even greater evil kind? 

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »
"The end game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step by step rechattelization of women."  Really? Are you saying that there was no free will or personal responsibility involved on the part of women who become pregnant?  Are you saying that in most all cases of pregnancy there was involuntary rape or physical cohersion  even on the part of middle and upper middle class women who find child bearing which they abhor so inconvenient to their clawing their way toward that glass ceiling, on the opposite side of which is the post modern decadent and poisoned fake and disappointing paradise of in reality further subservience of an even greater evil kind?
Indeed, what a debased view of women the totalitarian nanny state entails, and of human beings in general, that they are incapable of fully being human, responsible for their own choices, but instead they are a floundering mass of flesh like so many brainless worms writhing at the disposal of an all knowing what's good for everybody tyranny shorn of any true understanding and respect for the intelligence of free individuals learning from the consequences of their actions and descerning a better future path. A view entailing only the most materialistic manipulation of people as pawns of survival of the fittest thinking elite, who outwardly propagandize in the name of the holiest of holies substitute for the spirit, "Democracy."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »
"The end game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step by step rechattelization of women."  Really? Are you saying that there was no free will or personal responsibility involved on the part of women who become pregnant? 

Of course not. Facts on the ground are that in red, fetus-worshipping states the ability to exercise free will for women ENDS at pregnancy, at which time the state in its majesty takes a prevailing interest in protecting the fetus until it passes the birth canal. At which time it can be labelled a moocher, a freeloader, a parasite.

Eddie already framed up the experience of abortion for people who choose it, and it is always fraught. Opponents always like to categorize  abortion as post-fling birth control, with the same aplomb they describe a barely differentiated mass of cells a "baby." It is a painful and complicated decision for all involved, and to describe it as you have is ludicrous, and that was before you went down the "pawns of survival of the fittest thinking elite" rabbit hole...

Save your spittle.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
"The end game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step by step rechattelization of women."  Really? Are you saying that there was no free will or personal responsibility involved on the part of women who become pregnant? 

Of course not. Facts on the ground are that in red, fetus-worshipping states the ability to exercise free will for women ENDS at pregnancy, at which time the state in its majesty takes a prevailing interest in protecting the fetus until it passes the birth canal. At which time it can be labelled a moocher, a freeloader, a parasite.

Eddie already framed up the experience of abortion for people who choose it, and it is always fraught. Opponents always like to categorize  abortion as post-fling birth control, with the same aplomb they describe a barely differentiated mass of cells a "baby." It is a painful and complicated decision for all involved, and to describe it as you have is ludicrous, and that was before you went down the "pawns of survival of the fittest thinking elite" rabbit hole...

Save your spittle.
Save  your own immoral unthought out PC drool. I was addressing Yure post, not Eddies. FYI I really don't give a rats ass what Eddie thinks. Sometimes I agree, sometimes not. You are the only really literate well read thinker here. Pity you are yourself motivated to napalm against your better nature.. What "states" do is not the issue. The issue is what is moral and ethical. Unfettered irresponsible sexuality and murder and the denial of human potential is the propaganda of the dystopian Satanic state. Is that what you willingly teach and propagate. How pitiful!

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2018, 06:33:29 PM »
Undifferentiated stem cells that are uniquely able to give life when harvested. But we are calling for abortion at 9 months now anyway.
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
Interesting but has no relevance to me, my views, or most of the people known by be who are anti-abortion.

For your information, Planned Parenthood probably did more to prevent abortions than all the holier-than-thou legislators in the whole country put together, because they provided birth control at low or no cost to young women.

By taking a stand against birth control, it makes it MORE likely for some unfortunate women to need to kill her own baby, since it leaves her with the option of doing that or carrying an unwanted baby to full term and then sacrificing her own young life to raise the child, or alternately, abruptly severing the relationship with the child she just carried for 40 weeks, a part of her own body, and giving it up for adoption.

I don't believe I ever met anyone who really likes the idea of abortion as a form of birth control. It's an ugly event. Yes, a viable human embryo is killed. I find that repugnant, personally. I wouldn't try to sugar-coat it. It sucks. In my view it leaves the woman with permanent emotional scars that never quite heal. Always and forever. And maybe the young man involved too, if he has a heart.

But there is substantial evidence that unwanted babies born to unmarried poor women in our ghettos in this country grow up to be violent criminals. By doing what we are doing now to reverse what was done legally, we are guaranteeing a return to high levels of violent crime within a couple of decades. That matters too.

I think it would not necc lead to all violent criminals being born, but children with 2 parents being born. Women would have to be more careful. They could not gamble on trapping a great genetic sperm donor,  when tons of other women also think hes a great genetic specimen and so he is really unlikely to settle down with her. It would lead to more women not gambling on being uncertain the father will stick around. That is for those who think that is even necessary or desirable. Denying women agency and excusing them from responsibility also involves a societal 'aaaaawwww single mother' after all. It could lead to more women not taking his heat of the moment word for it from a guy she hardly knows and waiting for a wedding ring. Stable, dependable, nondescript, plain and boring guys who get no return swipes on tinder and sometimes go mass shooting.
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »

GO, you expressed a different POV, deposited it, and then announced you were quitting the thread lest I start posting pictures of women slaughter by back-alley abortionists. I know how those inflame your delicate sensibilities. Because they inflame my own.

Eddie as offered an opposing but thoughtful view. I would ask that you respect that, and reply in kind, rather than with sarcasm and ad hom, as in your final statement above. It is unseemly, and you can do better.

Abortion is one of those issues where people on both sides dehumanize their opponents, the better to slaughter them without scruple or consequence. If conservatives took more concern for the child that results from a pregnancy and for the mother that bore it, as opposed to scrupulously focusing on the fetus, they would make a better argument.

The end-game issue is control of women's bodies, specifically as in who controls them, and the step-by-step rechattelization of women.

Thanks Surly, but please read the entire thread for comprehension and try your best to be fair and objective even though Eddie and you are part of the same fraternity.

Eddie, out of nowhere, made a very vocal and vociferous rant about the Topic and went into a rage of how he would like to go full out Palloy against these horrible stupid advocates of the topic.

Me, nothing less and nothing more, merely stated that they were only folks with a different religious belief than him, and that his vent and anger would be better directed at truly evil folks that meant us harm, rather than folk, who, for the most part were only trying to save an unborn infant's life. Further explaining that, while sympathizing with the point of view of the anti abortion group, I understood his argument and suggested it was a very emotional and complex topic.

He of course, wrongly assuming I was dissing his views on abortion, after purposefully stating that it was not his view I was "Dissing" but his apparent extreme hatred of those with my view, and that a bit of tolerance and understanding might be in order.

He then responded with the same ol same ol litany of pro abortion rhetoric that we all have listened to all our lives. I then retorted that those views were of no interest to me, and that a war would break out if we continued down that path since Abortion was not the topic or intent of my posting, it was in fact only his emotional vile attack against those who had merely a different view of the matter.

While upon re reading the reference to you with the coat hanger, let me assure you it was meant as a joke, not in any way meant to be offensive, as a way to prove out my point of a war developing if the avenue that was taken continued. I was trying to be friendly, jocular, it certainly wasn't hidden from you, and thought it was a opportune way to leave the thread and move on. I apologize for not being more specific, and fully understand you taking the comment in a different manner.

Then of course the demeaning reply to me and my mind, which changed the topic anew to my perspective and depth compared to his. No need to voice my opinion on that matter.

I do not wish to argue abortion. I had no intention of slighting you, again it was not my intent. Eddie has an intense dislike for folks that have a different view on the matter than him, like myself, and it is not warranted. Saving his hatred for folks that wish us harm would be a better target and my reason for the original reply.                                                                   

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:04:48 AM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 5/27
« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »

Doomstead Diner Daily 5/27

Page loading slowly? The Diner Daily is available HERE with even MORE sections and stories:

Newly revealed emails prove Sarah Sanders flat-out lied about Comey firing

shareblue.com - A trove of new emails from just after Trump fired then-FBI Director James Comey offers the first definitive proof that the narrative spun by the White House was a complete and utter lie. When Donald …

Amy Siskind's List Week 80

theweeklylist.org - This week, despite the White House providing no evidence to back Trump’s claim that the Obama administration spied on his 2016 campaign for political reasons, and despite Trump ostensibly branding “s…

House Passes $717B Defense Bill That Covers Trump Military Parade

popularresistance.org - Above Photo: U.S. soldiers march in the Bastille Day military parade in Paris on July 14, 2017. The event inspired President Donald Trump to ask for a military parade in Washington, D.C., which is in…

Richard Painter says there is more evidence against Trump than there was against Nixon

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com]www.cbsnews.com[/url] - In an interview with CBSN's Elaine Quijano, former White House chief ethics counsel Richard Painter said that there is "far more evidence of abuse of power and obstruction of justice" against Preside…

Donald Trump Will Do Anything To Avoid Prosecution–And John Bolton Will Help

[url=http://www.fastcompany.com]www.fastcompany.com[/url] - This story reflects the views of this author, but not necessarily the editorial position of Fast Company. advertisement In October 2017, U.S. Army Sergeant La David Johnson died in a hail of gunfire …

Ireland Overwhelmingly Votes to End Abortion Ban

theantimedia.com - (CD) — Ireland, one of Europe’s most socially conservative countries, has voted by a landslide to liberalize the world’s most restrictive abortion laws. Votes are still being counted Saturday but bot…

New US Congress Bill Conflates Criticism of Israel With Anti-Semitism

theantimedia.com - (MEE) — A US Congress bill proposed on Wednesday conflates criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism, free-speech advocates say. The measure aims to provide the Department of Education with a legal defi…

Landmark lawsuit claims Monsanto hid cancer danger of weedkiller for decades

[url=http://www.theguardian.com]www.theguardian.com[/url] - At the age of 46, DeWayne Johnson is not ready to die. But with cancer spread through most of his body, doctors say he probably has just months to live. Now Johnson, a husband and father of three in …

Here's What the Next Pandemic Pathogen Might Look Like

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - It's a nightmare scenario: An infectious disease is spreading around the world and threatening to topple civilization as we know it. But what kind of disease could do this? A new report aims to addre…

[url=http://www.motherjones.com]www.motherjones.com[/url] - Roger Stone and Randy CredicoRonen Tivony/NurPhoto/ZUMA; John Minchillo/AP Special Counsel Robert Mueller appears to be increasingly interested in the actions of Roger Stone. Investigators have quest…

The Standard Model of particle physics: The absolutely amazing theory of almost everything

theconversation.com - The Standard Model. What dull name for the most accurate scientific theory known to human beings. More than a quarter of the Nobel Prizes in physics of the last century are direct inputs to or direct…

Robert Kennedy Jr. Doesn't Believe the 'Official Story' About His Father's Assassination -- and Wants a New Investigation

[url=http://www.alternet.org]www.alternet.org[/url] - Robert Kennedy, Jr. has concluded there may have been a second gunman and is now publicly urging a re-investigation into the assassination his father, Sen. Robert Kennedy (D-NY), The Washington Post …

Intriguing Gold Coin and Other Treasures Uncovered in Egypt

Intriguing Gold Coin and Other Treasures Uncovered in Egypt

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - Archaeologists in Egypt have unearthed the remains of a huge, red, brick building — likely the remnants of a Roman bath — as well as a mountain of treasures, including a statue of a ram and a gold co…

Russian MoD: Missiles Shown By MH17 Investigators Were Decommissioned After 2011

[url=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info]www.informationclearinghouse.info[/url] - Nearly four years since the incident, and over two years since they last reported any progress, the MH17 Joint Investigative Team (JIT) have held a press conference. To underline their previous posit…

'Errand Boy' Devin Nunes Was Just Told to Resign in His Hometown Paper

[url=http://www.alternet.org]www.alternet.org[/url] - It doesn't look like Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) can count on a warm welcome home from Washington, D.C. On Friday, local paper the Fresno Bee from his district published a letter to the editor offering a…

Editor's note

The Doomstead Diner is a hub for discussion and information pertaining to the ongoing Economic Collapse of the Industrial Economy. The Diner is the result of many years of discussion and debate on many other forums. At Doomstead Diner, our goal is to collate much of the information we can to assist in planning for the world to come.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

touregypt.net
Ptolemy IV Philopator, The Fourth King of Egypt's Greek Period
11-14 minutes
by Jimmy Dunn

The Egyptian Cartouches of Ptolemy IV Philopator

Under the Ptolemies, there was no real national foundation established for their rule in Egypt as the successor and son of Ptolemy III Euergetes, Ptolemy IV Philopator took the throne. These kings had been viewed by the local Egyptians with nothing more positive than resentful acquiescence. Basically, the Ptolemies had run Egypt as a private estate for their own benefit and gratification, even though we can say that they produced some amazing results, at least in Alexandria. Thus, the Egyptians needed only a weakening of control at the top to produce a whole string of violent insurrections, intended to reestablish the old pharaonic tradition and shift the cultural center of gravity back to Memphis.

From the time of Ptolemy IV onward, the dynasty's declining prestige abroad was matched by faltering administration at home, though it is hard to decide whether constant dynastic intrigues, minority regencies, military reversals and economic crises were primarily responsible for the breakdown of the system, or whether simmering anarchy and anti-governmental feelings contributed more. At any rate, the royal revenues began to decline as did the Ptolemy's fortunes in general.

An ancient Coin depicting Ptolemy IV Philopator

Ptolemy IV took the throne in about 222 BC, using the Egyptian name Iwaennetjerwy-menkhwy Setepptah Userkare Sekhemankhamun, a name that means "Heir of the [two] Beneficent Gods, Chosen of Ptah, Powerful is the Soul of Re, Living Image of Amun".

Unlike his predecessors, this Ptolemy led a dissolute life, aided and abetted by Sosibius, an Alexandrian Greek who had ingratiated himself into high office and made sure that he was indispensable to the king. Though some recent attempts have been made to credit Ptolemy IV with an active foreign policy, history mostly regards him as one dominated to a great extent by his advisers and women. In fact, probably acting on wild rumors that Sosibius may very well have started, Ptolemy agreed to have his mother, the famous Beerenie II, and his brother Magus respectively poisoned and scalded to death within a year of his accession.

Then trouble seems to have begun when Antiochus III of Syria, no doubt having heard through his intelligence sources of Egypt's weaknesses under the dissolute king, began to move through Phoenicia taking Egyptian vassal cities during the fourth Syrian War. He captured the port of Seleucia-in-Pieria which had been taken by Ptolemy IV's father, and then Tyre and Ptolemais-Ake surrendered to him, thus leaving the road through Palestine to Egypt open to him. Had Antiochus III been a better military man, he would have probably marched on against the Egyptian fortress of Pelusium, which could not have withstood him. However, Potlemy IV's diplomats stalled him with peace talks producing a four month truce which Ptolemy IV, with Sosibius' aid, used to recruit foreign mercenaries as well as raise and train an Egyptian army of some thirty thousand men.

A statue thought to represent either Ptolemy IV Philopator or his son Ptolemy V

In the summer of 217 BC, at the head of a fifty-five thousand man army and accompanied by his young sister, Arsinoe, Ptolemy IV took the field in person to face Antiochus III's army of sixty-eight thousand at Raphia in Palestine, just beyond the Egyptian frontier. Here, Ptolemy IV defeated Antiochus III, and relieved Egypt of the threat of invasion. Interestingly, Ptolemy employed forest elephants, a small variety from Somalia against Antiochus III's larger African bush (some say Indian) elephants. Those of Ptolemy were scared off by the larger elephants, and at first the battle went against the Egyptians, but Antiochus III overextended himself, leaving himself open for the defeat in a pitched battle considered one of the largest of this period. However, this victory bought little gain to Egypt, and in the end, would prove troublesome because of the now well trained Egyptian troops.

Ptolemy IV spent another thee months settling affairs in the Egyptian controlled region before heading home. This was really a short period of time, and better men might have stayed to take advantage of the situation, but some believe the king was apparently eager to return to the luxuries of Alexandria. For example, he left the important port of Seleucia-in-Pieria, which his father had taken in the first place, in the hands of Antiochus III. However, his reluctance to purse these military matters may have been somewhat more complex. A fall in population and a shrinkage of overseas trade had brought about an acute shortage of silver in Egypt and only seven years after Raphia, silver seems to have been abandoned altogether as Ptolemaic Egypt's standard currency. It might have been understandable that Ptolemy IV balked at hiring the extra mercenaries needed to pursue an aggressive foreign policy, and the financial considerations may have even dictated his later disastrous enrollment of Egyptian troops.

A coin depicting the wife of Ptolemy IV Philopator, Arsinoe III

After returning to Egypt, he married his sister in October of 217 BC and the two received a cult as the "Father-Loving Gods" (Theoi Philpatores). She provided an heir seven years later, but afterwards, Ptolemy IV tuned his affections to another woman named Agathoclea, who he took as a mistress. With her brother Agathocles, they encouraged his excesses. Now, though the true deterioration only may have set in about the time of Ptolemy IV's death in about 204 BC, or shortly before, events in Egypt took on a vicious cycle.

The Egyptian troops trained under the king stimulated a strong nationalist movement which resulted, at first, in a long and successful guerilla campaign against the Alexandria court. Indeed, by the end of his reign, they were able to achieve total independence in the south, which for a time was ruled once more by native pharaohs. During the period of rebel insurrection, an increased army of mercenaries was needed to fend off their constant marauding, further draining capital and resulting in a cutback in overseas trade, which in turn made the economic situation even worse.

Nevertheless, scholarship in Alexandria went on unabated. Ptolemy IV himself was a dabbler in the arts and in this regard a free thinker who wrote a tragedy entitled Adonis, and presumably played the lead. He actually founded a Homereion, a shrine honoring Homer, with inside it a statue of the poet surrounded by personified figures of the cities that claimed to be his birthplace. At the same time, one must wonder about the works that were composed during this period. One story tells of a poetry competition during his reign. In it, all of the judges ranked the poetry according to the amount of applause it received, with the exception of Aristophanes of Byzantium. He chose the one who received the least applause. When asked for an explanation, he retreated to the great Library, retrieving texts that showed his candidate was the only original poet. All the others had simply been plagiarizing their predecessors.

One of Ptolemy IV's other accomplishments, more of a tidbit of trivia than anything else, was the building a a huge, though apparently non-functioning and immovable ship measuring some 420 feet in length with a capacity to hold some 2,850 marines. He also did some work at the Temple of Isis at Philae, at Tanis, at the Temple of Montu at Medamud, at the Ptolemaic Temple of Hathor on the West Bank at Thebes (modern Luxor), at the Khonsu Temple at Karnak, and probably at the Temple of Horus at Edfu.

After Ptolemy IV's death in the summer of 204, he was doubtless buried in Alexandria, but more intrigue was to follow. Arsinoe III had, in fact, remained his wife, at least in name, and her son Ptolemy V was still a child. She was eager to rule through her son, but so to was Sosibius and Agathocles, who had also become a powerful minister. They had Arsinoe III murdered, and while we do not know of Sosibius' fate, Agathocles briefly became regent using a forged will of Ptolemy IV. However, this did not set well with the Alexandrians and he was soon lynched by the Alexandrian mob, which was now emerging as an active, if not organized political force. They then went after his relatives and associates, and Polybius tells us that:

"All of them were then handed over together to the mod, and some began to bite them, others to stab them, others to gouge out their eyes. As soon as any of them fell, the body was torn limb from limb until they had mutilated them all"     :o

Resources:

Title

Author

Date

Publisher

Reference Number

Alexandria, City of the Western Mind

Vrettos, Theodore

Free Press, The

ISBN 0-7432-0569-3

Chronicle of the Pharaohs (The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt)

Clayton, Peter A.

Thames and Hudson Ltd

ISBN 0-500-05074-0

Dictionary of Ancient Egypt, The

Shaw, Ian; Nicholson, Paul

Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers

ISBN 0-8109-3225-3

Dictionary of World History

Lenman, Bruce P.

Chambers Harrap Pubishers

ISBN 0-7523-5008-0

Egypt after the Pharaohs (332BC-AD642)

Bowman, Alan K.

California University Press

ISBN 0-520-06665-0

Egypt, Greece and Rome (Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean)

Freeman, Charles

Oxford University Press

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/ptolemy4.htm    :icon_study:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:02:11 AM by Surly1 »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 5/28 Memorial Day Edition
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2018, 05:41:32 AM »

Doomstead Diner Daily 5/28 Memorial Day Edition

Opinion | What NFL owners can learn from the history of Memorial Day

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com]www.washingtonpost.com[/url] - It is, unfortunately, appropriate that the National Football League’s owners decided to issue their rule attacking free expression the week before Memorial Day. A holiday dedicated to those who gave …

US House Overwhelmingly Passes $717 Billion Spending Bill to ‘Rebuild Our Military’

theantimedia.com - (ANTIWAR.COM) — In a 351-66 vote, the House of Representatives has passed their version of the 2019 military spending bill, the National Defense Authorization Act. The NDAA intends to spend $717 bill…

The forgotten history of Memorial Day

theconversation.com - In the years following the bitter Civil War, a former Union general took a holiday originated by former Confederates and helped spread it across the entire country. The holiday was Memorial Day, and …

MoA - Syria - U.S. Moves To Protect Al-Qaeda And ISIS in Daraa

[url=http://www.moonofalabama.org]www.moonofalabama.org[/url] - Putin is a complex man dealing with an extraordinarily complex situation. Not to say that he is incapable of making mistakes--he himself has admitted to making a few in interviews, one of the more re…

MSNBC's Nicole Wallace stops reading Trump tweets on air: 'These are boldface lies'

thehill.com - MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace cut herself off mid-sentence while reading President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: Meetings on potential North Korea summit going 'very well' Freed American 'overwhelmed wit…

CNN host Brian Stelter: Trump is a 'well-documented' liar

thehill.com - CNN host Brian Stelter on Sunday criticized President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: Meetings on potential North Korea summit going 'very well' Freed American 'overwhelmed with gratitude' after being r…

Pro-Gun Gov. Greg Abbott Just Met With Grieving Santa Fe Families -- But He Won't Help Them

reverbpress.news - On the Friday following the mass shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas; Governor Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz seized on the opportunity to soak up the limelig…

Trump’s Korea Blunder Is Worse Than It Looks

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com]www.bloomberg.com[/url] - Donald Trump thinks he's a great negotiator, a brilliant bluffer whose gut instincts are so stellar that ignorance of history and refusal to deal with substantive complexities are irrelevant. That's …

Chelsea Clinton: Trump degrades what it means to be an American

thehill.com - Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton slammed President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: Meetings on potential North Korea summit going 'very well' Freed American 'overwhelmed with gratitude' after being…

Subtropical Storm Alberto Strengthens Ahead of Landfall in the Florida Panhandle; Flooding, Storm Surge, Damaging Winds Possible

weather.com - Alberto will move slowly toward the northern Gulf Coast on Memorial Day. Landfall of Alberto is expected Monday afternoon or evening along the Florida Panhandle. The main concern will be heavy rain o…

Extinct Doggos' Bone-Crushing Diet Preserved in Fossil Poop

[url=http://www.livescience.com]www.livescience.com[/url] - Long-extinct relatives of today's dogs and wolves may have used their powerful jaws to crush bones, and the proof is in the animals' fossilized poop. Domestic dogs are known to enjoy chewing large bo…

This is What a Mass Die-off of Earth's Coral Reefs Looks Like

gizmodo.com - Earlier this week, we learned that Earth’s coral reefs are in the midst of a massive dieoff, triggered by abnormally hot temperatures in ocean basins worldwide. It’s hardly the first time in recent h…

Bloomberg Says U.S. 'Giving Away' Medical Cannabis Business

mgretailer.com_oil_caps

mgretailer.com - Financial publication Bloomberg BusinessWeek this week profiled the nearly impossible process undertaken by U.S. researchers that would like to conduct studies on medical cannabis, but are prohibited…

Ten questions Twitter must answer about its suspension of Palmer Report – and Donald Trump’s involvement

Article Image

[url=http://www.palmerreport.com]www.palmerreport.com[/url] - Last night, Twitter privately notified us that we were being suspended from being able to use our official @PalmerReport account for a week, due to a violation of Twitter policy. None of what we were…

Wilfred Owen: Dulce et Decorum Est

Wilfred Owen

voxpopulisphere.com - Bent double, like old beggars under sacks, Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge, Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs, And towards our distant rest began to trudge. Me…

Editor's note

The Doomstead Diner is a hub for discussion and information pertaining to the ongoing Economic Collapse of the Industrial Economy. The Diner is the result of many years of discussion and debate on many other forums. At Doomstead Diner, our goal is to collate much of the information we can to assist in planning for the world to come.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 5/29
« Reply #389 on: May 29, 2018, 02:57:10 AM »

Doomstead Diner Daily 5/29

The Doomstead Diner Daily

• HEADLINES
  • PHOTOS
  • WORLD
  • KLEPTOCRACY
  • SCIENCE
  • THE DAILY SCRUM
  • DIVERSIONS
  • SPORTS
  • #NEWS
  • #SUCCESS
  • MORE
  • Tuesday, May. 29, 2018
  • Next update in a day

• UAW President Dennis Williams backs Trump’s policies of militarism and trade war

[url=http://www.wsws.org]www.wsws.org[/url] - At a media roundtable last Thursday, United Auto Workers President Dennis Williams spelled out the union’s support for the recent announcement by the Trump administration that it is ordering a “natio…

Behind the scenes, Mike Pence’s quiet push to end abortion and limit women’s rights is succeeding

mic.com - On Tuesday night, President Donald Trump will give the keynote address at the annual gala of the anti-abortion-rights group the Susan B. Anthony List, an opportunity for the president to bolster his …

Dawn of a new era: AI, machine learning, and robotics

bigthink.com - Artificial intelligence is everywhere. On your screens, in your pockets and one day may even be walking to a home near you. The headlines tend to group together this vast and diverse field into one s…

Think Facebook can manipulate you? Look out for virtual reality

bigthink.com - As Facebook users around the world are coming to understand, some of their favorite technologies can be used against them. It’s not just the scandal over psychological profiling firm Cambridge Analyt…

Allan Nairn on How Trump Dragged a Rightist Revolution to Power

theintercept.com - Jeremy Scahill: Allan Nairn, welcome back to Intercepted. Allan Nairn: Thanks. Good to be with you. JS: One of the reasons I wanted to talk to you is I really get the sense, paying attention to the N…

Trees, our best defense against climate change, are going up in flames

grist.org - Each year, the Earth’s trees suck more than a hundred billion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. That’s an impossibly huge number to consider, about 60 times the weight of all the humans cur…

What Did Our Generation Learn in Iraq and Afghanistan?

[url=http://www.thedailybeast.com]www.thedailybeast.com[/url] - There’s a saying in the military, more of a cliché really: The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war. The statement is one over-eager first sergeants or still-green lieutenants use when …

Trump Adviser Talks to Robert Mueller, Sounds Panicked…”They know a lot. They have everything”

[url=http://www.bluedotdaily.com]www.bluedotdaily.com[/url] - When Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s proposed interview questions for Donald Trump were leaked, based on the range they covered, it became pretty apparent that Mueller must already know everything t…

Donald Trump just put the 'Me' in his Memorial Day tweet

[url=http://www.cnn.com]www.cnn.com[/url] - Need evidence? Ask yourself if those who died for the country did so while thinking about the current unemployment rate. Or how a family mourning someone lost fighting for the United States today wou…

White nationalists protest outside Maryville church

[url=http://www.knoxnews.com]www.knoxnews.com[/url] - About eight people showed up to First United Methodist Church in Maryville on Sunday to protest a presentation by the author of a book about white supremacy. Nine white nationalists showed up at a Ma…

Ancient Egyptian Logbook of Inspector Who Helped Construct the Great Pyramid Revealed

[url=http://www.ancient-origins.net]www.ancient-origins.net[/url] - Some of the details of the construction of the Egyptian Great Pyramid are revealed to the public for the first time when they go on display at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The information comes in t…

Mike Males: The Shooting Statistics Are Clear: It’s Not Schools That Are Dangerous

texas-school-shooting.jpg

voxpopulisphere.com - Every day, 42 Americans die in gun homicides, the grim backdrop against which to talk about school shootings. In the three months between the 10 shot dead in Santa Fe, Texas, on May 18, and the 17 in…

Lava has destroyed 82 homes or structures and isolated an additional 37

Leilani Estates, HI: Lava flow 10 miles from Leilani Estates

[url=http://www.staradvertiser.com]www.staradvertiser.com[/url] - Peter Masek, a 22-year Leilani Estates resident who has built homes in the subdivision that are now gone, has watched the lava every day from his home. A lava flow overtook a row of palms Friday nigh…

Record opium production in Afghanistan threatens sustainable development, latest survey reveals – “Unprecedented amounts of heroin will reach consumer markets across the world”

Farm-gate value of opium production in Afghanistan, 2008-2017. Graphic: UNODC

[url=http://www.desdemonadespair.net]www.desdemonadespair.net[/url] - 21 May 2018 (UNODC) – In 2017, opium cultivation in Afghanistan reached a record high with an estimated 328,000 hectares, up 63 per cent compared with 201,000 hectares in 2016. According to the lates…

Record flooding expected in Billings, Montana as Yellowstone River rises – “There's going to be a lot of people in a lot of places that have literally never seen floodwater before”

[url=http://www.desdemonadespair.net]www.desdemonadespair.net[/url] - (Billings Gazette) – The Yellowstone River in Billings is expected to crest nearly 18 inches above its all-time record flood stage next week, according to updated forecasts released Thursday. The for…

Editor's note