AuthorTopic: Community Building  (Read 1755 times)

stewie

Community Building
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »
Hi all i don't comment much here, but i do think and read a lot about where we might be headed.A subject i have been thinking about lately is community building , in that how do i find like minded people close by and how will i fit in with my community in the years to come? I found this free to download "book" BEYOND COLLAPSE. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6e3oH1LuRvzeGZlTHRkeHZQSkk and have read about 20 pages in(450 in total). Looks like it might have some good ideas and has been interesting so far, spring here so i will be real busy in the garden for weeks to come and will not finish the book for a while and can't say if it is worth reading all the way through.So thought i would link it here as it might interest others as well.

Offline hellsbells

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Community Building
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »
Great find, Stewie- thanks for posting it ! I've downloaded it and I'm actually going to print it off in hard copy. We've got a storm rolling in and if the power goes out I can read it by lamplight !!  :D

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
What I like best about it is the cost :laugh::

[size=36pt]Feebie            Nada           Zip               Nothing...[/size][/color][/size][/size]
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »
Hi Stewie, Glad you came out of lurkerville. Keep those ideas flowing, remember, COMMUNITY.   :icon_sunny:

Offline buzzard

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »
Hi all i don't comment much here, but i do think and read a lot about where we might be headed.A subject i have been thinking about lately is community building , in that how do i find like minded people close by and how will i fit in with my community in the years to come? I found this free to download "book" BEYOND COLLAPSE. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6e3oH1LuRvzeGZlTHRkeHZQSkk and have read about 20 pages in(450 in total). Looks like it might have some good ideas and has been interesting so far, spring here so i will be real busy in the garden for weeks to come and will not finish the book for a while and can't say if it is worth reading all the way through.So thought i would link it here as it might interest others as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, stewie. All information is welcome. I believe that at least some of the stuff in the book originally came from Rawles' survival web site.

I, like many others have believed that community can be very important in coming days for not only survival but thriving in the future. The problem which I face is that I don't like people much so community organizing is a challenge. Fortunately my close neighbor and friend is everything which I am not. I educate him, give him the information and send him out to make the connections. We'll see how that works. In the end I may have to just suck it up and do it myself. I tend to scare people while everyone instantly loves Big W.

Anyway I have put the book in my queue for future reading. Some times wish I was a speed reader...

stewie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »
Hi all thxs for the responses.

Hellsbells hope you find the book useful and the storms not too bad.

Uncle bob i like the price too, have read more of it and its a nice primer on survival & doom good for new people i think, hoping the later parts goes into more on community building.

Hi Go thxs for the welcome and i have enjoyed your news channel very much.

Buzzard , i agree all info is useful.The books author seems to be a regular commenter on various survival sites .I also don't like people much ,so don't get out much.Community building will be difficult for me and has been so far,(i do have a wife and kids so they have much bigger social circles) so some hope there.I am  thinking community whilst not being necessary to survive would certainly make life easier to get by in.I am a very practical kind of guy , i can grow food quite successfully, repair and make things , keep bees ,make alcohol , i am starting in on keeping chickens in a few months and my wife's a nurse.So i am hoping our family would be a valueable part of a community.We don't live on a doomstead as such,we aren't out in the middle of nowhere,but we do live in a area where there is only 60,000 odd people in a 100 kilometre radius of us.So we will be stuck in a community of some description and will just have to make the most of it .Unless of course someone bigger and stronger comes and takes our stuff , which is where i am hoping community comes into play?