PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction

AuthorTopic: Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction  (Read 669 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »
I thought Palloy would find this interesting.  ;D

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXvBDDCsiNk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XXvBDDCsiNk</a>

Pic 27 (final dome)

Build an inexpensive and sturdy-as-heck structure with 150 pieces of PVC pipe and a weekend.

The idea of building our own shelter fascinates us, but for the average handyman, where do you start?

A geodesic dome made of PVC may be the most cost-effective method of building a structurally solid yet transportable shelter, and it’s possible to build one in a single day.

At Maker Faire 2014 in New York City, the Sketchup team did just that. Why? We wanted something that was easy and fun to assemble, but it also needed to be impressive, yet duplicable by anyone with just basic tools. While this structure may look daunting to build, you could actually do it in your garage on a Saturday afternoon.

We’ll show you how we built ours, and how you can use Sketchup to easily design and build your own, of any size.

To begin, you can see our Maker Faire domes in action here and in the video below

The History of the Geodesic Dome

Let’s get something out of the way: our team didn’t invent geodomes; Buckminster “Bucky” Fuller did. Let’s learn a little about him, courtesy of the Bucky Fuller Institute.

Pic 4 (Buckminster Fuller)

R. Buckminster Fuller was a renowned 20th century inventor and visionary born in Milton, Massachusetts on July 12, 1895. Dedicating his life to making the world work for all of humanity, Fuller operated as a practical philosopher who demonstrated his ideas as inventions that he called “artifacts.”

Fuller did not limit himself to one field but worked as a ‘comprehensive anticipatory design scientist’ to solve global problems surrounding housing, shelter, transportation, education, energy, ecological destruction, and poverty. Throughout the course of his life, Fuller held 28 patents, authored 28 books, and received 47 honorary degrees. And while his most well known artifact, the geodesic dome, has been produced over 300,000 times worldwide, Fuller’s true impact on the world today can be found in his continued influence upon generations of designers, architects, scientists and artists working to create a more sustainable planet.

The Different Types of Geodesic Domes

Geodesic domes can be exceedingly detailed or incredibly simple. The varying levels of detail are called “tessellations” The more tessellations you have, the smoother your dome is.

Some of the more commonly built domes are 3V to 6V domes. A 3V dome has three different strut lengths—as you go up in detail, you decrease the strut length, and increase the number of struts. The smoother your dome is, the more hubs and struts you need. These images below (from SonostarHub.com) show a map of what half of a dome looks like in each tessellation.

Your first decision to make is the size of your dome. At Maker Faire, we were limited to a confined space that we were allowed to use.

SketchUp can help you visualize things like this very easily. For that, you’d want to draw out your dome to see how it would fit. To quickly resize the dome, we built a Dynamic Component. These types of components can be programmed to redraw themselves. We set ours up so that we could type in different diameters of domes. Our component automatically calculates how much pipe you will need for whatever size and detail of dome you choose.

You can download a model of our dome to use within the free Sketchup software.

Once you have the model downloaded, right click on it (or secondary click if you’re on a Mac) and select “Dynamic Components” and then “Options.”

You will be presented with a menu that looks like the image below. There, you can change the diameter of the dome. Press “Apply” at the bottom and your dome will automatically rebuild itself to the size you want. You’ll get a parts list, as well (more on the parts list later).

Pic 9 (screenshot)

We used this model to place our domes on the site. After much discussion, we decided on the dual 20′ dome setup you see below:

Pic 10 Pic 11

You can download our as-built model if you want to check it out in SketchUp.

Putting Together Your Materials List

Geodesic domes can be made out of all sorts of materials, from a stack of toothpicks on your desk to a big metal building. No matter what you make your dome out of, you need to calculate the amount of hubs you need, and the length of all of your struts.

You want to make sure that you get this right, because the cost of a mistake would mean a very expensive pile of PVC that would quickly become useless.

Indulge me while I quickly explain the theory behind the different ways you can calculate struts, and then I’ll point you to some good calculators.

Pic 12

This article from Berkley explains, in great detail, the math behind these domes. The formulae show you how to calculate a wire mesh dome. In other words, these math formulas will tell you the total distance of each strut.

This is a good starting point, but if you’re making or buying your own hubs, you’ll need to subtract for their length where they connect.

If you know the amount you need to subtract for each hub, you can put that into our Dynamic Component above. In the case of the hubs we used from SonoStarHub.com, they have their own calculator on their site that works fantastic.

Getting the Right Hubs

Pic 13 (PVC in truck)

Hubs connect all of the struts together to form the structure. These aren’t something you can get off the shelf at your local hardware store. We explored ways to fabricate our own (there are many) but we ultimately went with a company called SonoStarHub.com for our hubs. It saved time, and guaranteed safety in our exhibit. Sonostar makes and sells the hubs, bolts, and complete kits if you want them.

The hubs we chose are designed to work with 1.5″ Schedule 40 PVC pipe. This is off the shelf stuff that can be sourced from any Home Depot. The size refers to the inside diameter. Our pipe was actually 1.9″ in its outer diameter. Take a look at Home Depot’s selection of PVC pipes to start your supply list.

For our dome, we used 15 base hubs (these have 4 ‘arms’ on them), 6 5-star hubs, and 55 6-star hubs.

SAMSUNG CSC

Fabrication

Pic 15 (saw)

Now that we’ve planned our dome size and we know how many pipes and the lengths we need to cut, it’s time to start fabricating. After heading to Home Depot and watching the jaws drop at the pro desk after I asked for over 150 10′ PVC pipes, I had to come up with a way to cut tons of pipe at exactly the same length.

Normally, I use my chop saw and I mark off lengths of things to cut, but that would be inefficient for this amount of pipes. For this task, I used a chop saw stand with stops on it. This way, I could set the length and repeat cuts over and over again. Make sure that when you get one that it has very sturdy stops on it.

The first stand I bought did not, and I had to return it in favor of one that wasn’t moving when I bumped it a little. Once you have this setup, measure from the saw blade to the stop and start cutting.

Pic 16 (PVC on bench)

Now that you have a massive pile of pipes cut up (the image above is only for one dome), you’ll need to drill holes in each end so that you can bolt them to the hubs when you’re on site. The holes need to be lined up on each end.

To do that, I put the pipe against the stop, drilled the first hole, and then flipped the pipe over. Using the screw on the left, I was able to line up the first hole vertically so I could drill the second one.

Pic 17 (work bench)

Building Your Domes

Now you’ve got a huge pile of pipes, cut and labeled. This is where the fun begins! Let’s put this thing together.

Before we built both domes at Maker Faire, I built one with a helper on her front lawn just to make sure it worked. The two of us were able to build a 20′ dome in just a few hours, using a step ladder.

Below I’ll give you a solid overview of how we assembled it. For super detailed instructions, there is a download link at the end of this post that includes all the detailed build instructions, and all the models you’ll need in order to assemble what we built.

Pic 18 (base ring)

The first step is to lay out the base ring of pipes and bolt each connection together, using the 4-armed hubs. Don’t worry if the ground isn’t perfectly level. If there is a big drop off, just slide a chunk of wood or spare pipe underneath to jack the dome up (for now).

After laying out the base ring, start making pentagons. There will be 6 total. Fully assemble and bolt them together, and then set them aside.

Pic 19

Next, put the first round of base poles up, adding a 6-star hub every third set.

Pic 20Pic 21

Now it’s time to start adding pentagons. Connect them with the remainder of the red pipes, and use the blue cross pipes to connect them together. Don’t forget to bolt as you go!

Pic 22Pic 23

Keep filling in pipes around the pentagons.

Pic 24

Add the last pentagon at the very top, and savor the moment!

Pic 25

Now that you have the dome fully built, you can remove a section of 6-spoked (red) poles to create a door. If you need to move or turn the dome, it’s light enough that about six people can lift and easily move it.

Pic 26

That’s how you build and fabricate a PVC Geodesic Dome!

These are incredibly strong structures that are fun and rewarding to build. Here are the full instructions, including a printable assembly document, 3D models, pictures and video.

If you think you can do a better job than me, you’re welcome to contribute any work on GitHub.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:42:50 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
I added the Time-Lapse video of the setup and take down of this dome over 3 days.

As you can see, a "plastic" dome even without using steel piping as your struts is plenty strong enough to hang a loft from without using 2X4s to support the loft.  They have about a dozen full size guys sitting on top of the dome!

At 20', this one does not have enough height on center for a loft.  You need about 30' diameter for that.

If you build from scratch with  PVC rather than purchase an F-Dome kit, you save a LOT of money.  The kit of connectors will cost you around $400.  Your PVC Pipe struts will run you another  $300 if you buy them already cut and drilled, which I would recommend.  Cheaper if you buy 10' lengths at Home Depot though and cut and drill yourself.

For covering it, there are numerous ways to do it, the quickest and easiest is just to use a Parachute.  You can buy used military parachutes for less than $100.  A better choice is to fork over $1000 and have one sewn up in Vinyl.

Anyhow, you come in under $2000 if you put up one of these, as opposed to $10K for an F-Dome.  Way more than I need though, I'll just do a cube to add an 8'X10' room connected to the side doors of SaVANnah to make a nicer Kitchen and dining/living area when parked for a week or more in a location.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Geodesic Small Domes- How Many can you Sleep?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
As I mentioned in the Stealth Van thread, the general use of a Geodesic Dome in my van arrangement is to increase total living space and provide room for a living room and kitchen area, while retaining the Van and Trailer as Bedrooms for Parents and Kids for Privacy.  Early H-Gs of course did not need privacy in their Teepees, Yurts and Igloos, but modern Amerikans won't adjust to that too fast so we need to try and retain some of it.

However, you could also use your small dome to house additional people and provide sleeping quarters for them at night if they don't have their own rig.  How many extra people could you sleep at night in your dome?

Assume you did put up a 20' pvc geodesic similar to the one done in the video, which 2 people put up in a day?  How many people could you sleep in it, without cluttering up with furniture?  Quite a few, because unlike a Tent, you aren't restricted to just ground level.  Even without a loft, you can have sleepers above ground level in HAMMOCKS hanging from the dome!

A 20' Diameter dome has a circumference of 2πR, so that is around 60'.  So at the base around the edge I dropped in 6 people arranged in a Hexagon shape.  They will sleep on foam pads or air mattresses on the ground.  Each one gets a 8' long space of their own to stretch out and sleep.

Above them, hanging from Hammocks attached to the dome structure are 5 more sleeping spaces also around the same length.

Below is the diagram of the arrangement:

Small Dome 20 sleeping
Small Dome 20 sleeping

That is 11 People!  With that many people inside a Dome shaped structure like this, you're not going to need any heat at all!  Put a few dogs in the middle, the place will be ROASTING even at 30 Below without a fire!

RE
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:26:58 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
The problem with geodesic domes is cost and complexity. The same 20 ft dome as a square 20 x20 would give you 400 sq ft versus 314 and have a exactly 2 joint lines using flat tarp material.  It would match up perfectly to any vertical entrance on a van or another building.  They are made in the millions and are represented in every camp, greenhouse and temp building either as gabled walled buildings or semi circles or Gothic arches.  I admire the dome but in 60 years they have failed at gaining ground...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
The problem with geodesic domes is cost and complexity. The same 20 ft dome as a square 20 x20 would give you 400 sq ft versus 314 and have a exactly 2 joint lines using flat tarp material.  It would match up perfectly to any vertical entrance on a van or another building.  They are made in the millions and are represented in every camp, greenhouse and temp building either as gabled walled buildings or semi circles or Gothic arches.  I admire the dome but in 60 years they have failed at gaining ground...

You come from old school like me when you tried to build these things out of wood 2X4 like a box and stick structure. It's a real battle to do it that way.  The angles and joints are a real bear.  I am good at angle cutting, but even I had trouble making every last joint fit perfect.  Most carpenters can't do it, so the old domes had all sorts of problems with leakage.  Most contractors wouldn't touch the job.

It's not like that any more using tubing and connectors, either steel or pvc.  They are amazingly cheap to put up.  Sealing them up for leakage is EZ because you use one big ass round shaped cover to pull down over them and then fix tight to the frame.  Best material for this is vinyl, but lightweight you can do it with nylon.  Then if you want hardcover, you can add plywood sheeting, tar paper and roofing tiles after that.

RE
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:59:18 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
No its not just old school. I happen to be quite handy with the mitre saw myself.  Its the amount of waste and extra labour that just kills them cost wise. That round tarp will never fit them snug and you would end up with massive water and ice pooling in the depressions.  As a hard sided roofed surface sure you could seal it with massive amounts of snow and ice membrane and 30 percent more shingles and plywood but why bother? What do you gain other then the ability to say "ya but it's a dome"?
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
No its not just old school. I happen to be quite handy with the mitre saw myself.  Its the amount of waste and extra labour that just kills them cost wise. That round tarp will never fit them snug and you would end up with massive water and ice pooling in the depressions.  As a hard sided roofed surface sure you could seal it with massive amounts of snow and ice membrane and 30 percent more shingles and plywood but why bother? What do you gain other then the ability to say "ya but it's a dome"?

There is no extra time with a mitre. You BUY the connectors pre-manufactured and the angles are all perfect right out of the box.

The round tarps DO fit snug, because both vinyl and nylon STRETCH.  You crank them down real tight and they conform to the geodesic shape about perfectly.  Over time, they hold the shape, at least vinyl does.

You might have more roof area to surface if you hard side (I never would), but on the other hand you have no interior walls to put up to support the structure.  That's a wash at best, although I think you still come in cheaper with the dome.

Most of all though, your stick built box structure isn't PORTABLE, like this is.  Try moving around even a box tent that has 314 sq ft of floor space with a van.  Good luck with that one.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
 The whole point of domes is their not blowing away in strong wind, so some idea of how it is fixed in place especially on bitumen or concrete is in order. Nothing i can think of stretches from flat into a sphere except balloon rubber. It seems anything else would need to be stitched from triangular patches.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:20:29 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »
The whole point of domes is their not blowing away in strong wind, so some idea of how it is fixed in place especially on bitumen or concrete is in order. Nothing i can think of stretches from flat into a sphere except balloon rubber. It seems anything else would need to be stitched from triangular patches.

Vinyl isn't always stitched, it is usually Heat-Seamed (melted) together.  Sometimes both are done.  Yes, it is done like an interrupted projection map of the Earth, by flattening the spherical shape.

If you are setting up on dirt, you spike it down in place with 6" spikes all the way round the base.  If it's a more permanent arrangement, you pour some concrete footings in post holes. If you are on asphalt or concrete, you will probably have to weigh it down.  You'll need to use Cinder Blocks, Rocks or 5 gallon water jugs all around the base.  If you have permission to set up, such as a seasonal Farmer's Market you set up at and lease the space, you can use an impact driver to drill receivers for 1/2" lag bolts.  In general though, I would never set one up except on dirt or sand I could dig my footings into.

They ARE lightweight and they DO present a big windage issue and you MUST foot them well.  A 20 footer without good footing will blow away on you in anything over about a 20mph wind.  At Burning Man Festival there is always some idiot who doesn't foot his dome down well and off it goes. They set up out in the Desert and wind speeds can pick up pretty high.

Definitely you should go for Overkill on your footing.  I would stake down to handle anything up to around 60 mph winds.  If a hurricane is forecast you TAKE IT DOWN AND PACK IT UP, and you GTFO of Dodge until it passes through.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:10:23 PM »
If a hurricane is forecast you TAKE IT DOWN AND PACK IT UP, and you GTFO of Dodge until it passes through.

BTW, if you are getting high winds, you don't have to COMPLETELY dissassemble, just take the skin off.  Once only the structure is up, it presents almost no obstacle to the wind.  If I was in my dome and felt there was any chance it could blow off it's moorings, I would simply take the cover off, which you do by releasing its tie-downs to the dome structure.  The wind will blow it right off the dome.  Do remember to leave at least 2-3 attachment points to the structure so you are not running down the beach chasing it. lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
Imagine the top pentagon with 5-hub and 5 x 4 foot (?) legs coming out of it, making the apex stand 4" above the ground.
And then you step on it, what will happen? Either the legs will bend or the hub will snap.

So this picture is either fake or dangerously and carefully composed.

Easily portable - yeah right.
The two of us were able to build a 20′ dome in just a few hours, using a step ladder. - yeah right.
Just use a parachute to cover it - yeah right.

Stretch it tight to avoiding pooling - yeah right.

No joining of seams necessary - yeah right.
Stop it blowing away by weighing it down with cinder blocks (which you just happened to bring with you.
And you don't have a floor.

You are a snake-oil salesman.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
You are a snake-oil salesman.

And you are a nay-sayer.

Look, this is done quite regularly, there are vids and pics all over the net on how you do it and what materials to use.  You just say "Yeah, right" like the guy who wrote it was lying.

I don't need a big ass dome, so I will just do the same thing in a cube shape.  All the principles are the same besides the angles involved, and those are done for you by the connector manufacturers.  Or if you have 3-D printing equipment, you could make them yourself.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »
Palloys and your own pictures show he and david are right. That is going to pool water. That is nowhere near as compact or cheap as a tent with hundreds of connectors, many meters of pipe,  and a complicated custom made cover if its going to fit. Then you have the impermanence of vinyl with the permanence of concrete if its not going to blow away. You are not doing the same thing at all with a cube shape,  u are using a cube instead because it IS easy, compact and practical (but will pool even more water on top). A concrete dome, circus tent or playground equipment are good uses for domes but not personal camping, unless you are being different for the sake of it and it is not a HOME unless the cover is good for 40 years.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:03:18 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:30:01 PM »
Palloys and your own pictures show he and david are right. That is going to pool water. That is nowhere near as compact or cheap as a tent with hundreds of connectors, many meters of pipe,  and a complicated custom made cover if its going to fit. Then you have the impermanence of vinyl with the permanence of concrete if its not going to blow away. You are not doing the same thing at all with a cube shape,  u are using a cube instead because it IS easy, compact and practical (but will pool even more water on top). A concrete dome, circus tent or playground equipment are good uses for domes but not personal camping, unless you are being different for the sake of it and it is not a HOME unless the cover is good for 40 years.

Water doesn't pool on a vinyl cover pulled tight very much, and even if it does it doesn't penetrate.  Even with a porous cover it won't drip too much, just look at small nylon dome tents.  All you are doing here is scaling it up.

Look, people lived in this type of dwelling for millenia.  You think TeePees had tight seals over the surface?  No, it was overlaid bear skins covering it up to the top center hole where the smoke went out from the center fire with the family sleeping on the edge around it.

You guys are simply too immersed in fixed abodes and all the modern conveniences.  Geodesics are an improvement over TeePees because the structure is so strong.  There are MANY ways to surface to make them quite water and even heat tight.

At the moment, I have no plans to build one.  It's way more space than I need and I don't have room on my porch to build it.  But it's not different than a cube other than angles.  Maybe I'll build a small model to show how to do it.  However, I would rather spend the time building something I can actually use right now.  I can build a big dome later when I need it.

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:45:06 AM »
 The foto u posted will obviously pool water and flap in the breeze. Vinyl or tarp will not drip but stretch and then break where there is the weight of water. A complicated custom made  cover will not. This thing will need either several zippers running down the sides or one big zipper at the equator. Get a quote on that because i think it will be far more than 100-300$ for a tent you can stand in.

Your own cube for your van will not do it if you place a hard flat board on top, but im sure without the hindrance of being immersed in fixed abodes and modern conveniences you had thought of that already.

Small nylon dome tents do not have the same pooling problem as a dome. They do not have a place where water collects and weighs on it, all slides off. You are not scaling THAT  up with a geodesic dome.

The only thing a teepee has in common with a geodesic dome is a hexagonal base, other than that it is incomparably simple and has many advantages with none of the weaknesses as a portable form of accomodation.

Of course it is too much living space for you or anyone else, that is why your foto shows something suitable for a circus.

You can get a soccer ball, world globe, apple or orange and some vinyl to show us how its done. I will bet money that no matter how you try and pull it tight, there will be big folds left that need to be stitched in and cut off to have anything like a snug fit.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:47:23 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME