PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction

AuthorTopic: Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction  (Read 2083 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »
OK!  :icon_sunny:

I figured out how to demonstrate Geodesic Building & Surfacing techniques and incorporate it into a project I can fit on my back porch!

The project will incorporate a rectangular box Dimensions 7' high X 7' wide X 10' long for 70 sq ft + a Pentagonal Gazebo attached to that about 10' in diameter constructed with geodesic technique for about another 70 sq ft which will add in total to SaVANnah's living space about 140 sq ft + the 66 sq ft of SaVANnah for a total of a whopping 206 sq ft WITHOUT pulling a trailer!!!!  :o

I estimate full setup time on a given Boondocking site to be about half a day to a day for me.  I think a normal person could do it in about 2 hours.

I have some of the hardware I need on order from Amazon, and I will make a prep run to Home Depot tomorrow to buy some standard hardware which is most of the project.

My estimated cost for this project at the moment is $300.

Estimated time to completion unknown.  I'm a cripple and I work slow these days.  It probably will not be done before I leave for the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN☼ down in the Lower 48 on Aug 17th.  My goal is to have it done by Nov 1st in time for winter Boondocking use.

This is going to be TOTALLY COOL customization for SaVANnah!  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:00:03 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:07 AM »
I'm finished with arguing with nay-sayers.  I'll simply build what I am talking about.  It's all quite possible and has been demonstrated already by others in other ways.  I'm just applying the techniques to the Van Dweller existence.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction: The SaVANnah Planned Addition
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:58:24 AM »
Here's the floor plan for the planned additions to SaVANnah:

SaVANnah addition
SaVANnah addition

At some future date I might expand the Gazebo to a full size dome, but I can't see myself needing one except in the case of a full blown community of SUN☼ Gypsies.  176 sq ft is already far more than I have ever needed in my life.  The Gazebo however will allow me to build and demonstrate how you waterproof and heat insulate geodesics, so it's worthwhile to build from that perspective.

I have different configurations depending on how the campsite is laid out.  The Long Configuration is for typical Pull-thru spots for Big Ass Diesel Pushers.  All set up, I come in at around 36', as long as the biggest behemoth on the road.  Except it all fits either inside my van or on top of it when Over the Road.  :icon_sunny:

The more square configurations are my preferred ones, for more primitive sites.  I need about 30'X30' of site space to fully set up.  My favorite campsite is perfect for it.

This is going to be a FUN project!  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:32:43 AM »
Building something is always a good solution.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:05 AM »
Building something is always a good solution.

In the end, it's the only way to shut up the nay-sayers unfortunately.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Geodesic PVC Pipe Home Construction: New SaVANnah Floor Plan
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
I realized that if I am going to build the Geodesic Gazebo I no longer need to build the box.  Total Overkill.  I'll NEVER need that much space or feel like setting it up.  Besides, everybody agrees you can make a box and cover it with tarps, that is done all the time by the homeless.

I ALSO already own a big ass 3 room tent I could add to the setup if I wanted lots of sheltered space or had guests.  So the box is now gone from the plans and the new plan looks like this:

SaVAN Gazebo
SaVAN Gazebo

I calculated out the size of the Gazebo based on the stock materials I will buy from Home Depot, which are 10' lengths of 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC pipe.  I want as little waste of this material as possible.  So if I was building a 12' Radius (24' Diameter) 3-up Dome my strut lengths are:

A- 4.183'
B- 4.842'
C- 4.948'

So each 10' length will give me 2 struts.  For this project, I only need A&B struts.  However, if I ever finish the whole dome (doubtful), this panel will be the topmost panel on the dome.

If I did finish the dome, the height on center would be just about enough to set up a small loft sleeping area as it is set up on dirt.  However, if you had a more permanent location and were going to be there long term, you could build a 2' wall out of brick or cinder block or even a rock wall or log cabin style footer to raise the dome up.  This would give you more usable area on both the ground and in the loft, as well as more ceiling height for tall people.

I will need 10 10' lengths of pipe which come in around $8 each up here. $80.  The geodesic connectors for this also came in around $80 with shipping.  I'll have another $100 or so I think in assorted hardware and surfacing materials.  So it should still come in under my $300 budget for the project.

I'll get started on it as soon as the geodesic connectors show up.

RE
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:53:41 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
I believe in carrying the material for,  but not building a dome until a location to grow food is selected and long stakes can be hamnered into the ground or concrete poured. That could be a hidden location in a state forest or a friends farm. Dome can rhen be for living and/or greenhouse. Something hard that can last for at least 50 yrs can then be used to cover it. The whole WOOFER system is a way of life suitable for living out of a van and makes a lot of connections and friends where opportunities like that crop up. They work on farms for food and lodging as well as casual work they can find picking fruit etc. Carrying several lengths of pvc pipe on the roof of a van, particularly a plain van looks a lot more like parking and not camping when stealthing and working in the city, but is negligible weight. Building a dome or semi dome gazebo just for camping is good for the curiosity and accomplishment factor, but held down only by short pegs can blow away as easily as a tent or fold up gazebo, without their benefit being compact storage.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
I believe in carrying the material for,  but not building a dome until a location to grow food is selected and long stakes can be hamnered into the ground or concrete poured. That could be a hidden location in a state forest or a friends farm. Dome can rhen be for living and/or greenhouse. Something hard that can last for at least 50 yrs can then be used to cover it. The whole WOOFER system is a way of life suitable for living out of a van and makes a lot of connections and friends where opportunities like that crop up. They work on farms for food and lodging as well as casual work they can find picking fruit etc. Carrying several lengths of pvc pipe on the roof of a van, particularly a plain van looks a lot more like parking and not camping when stealthing and working in the city, but is negligible weight. Building a dome or semi dome gazebo just for camping is good for the curiosity and accomplishment factor, but held down only by short pegs can blow away as easily as a tent or fold up gazebo, without their benefit being compact storage.

You can set up either way, temporary or permanent.

Temporary setups are clearly never going to be as secure from wind as more permanent ones.

For instance, if I was going to set up on a Beach, I would only do it if I knew the weather forecast for the next few days called for nice sunny days and low winds.  I would never setup anywhere I wasn't going to stay a week or so, it's not worth it.  Takes you a day to set up a dome with 2 healthy people working at it.

In the woods, you are better off.  You have built in anchors you can hook up to, aka TREES.  You don't need to cut into the tree to do it, you hook up with tie down straps, steel cable and turnbuckles.  Your Dome will go NOWHERE even in a hurricane, although you might lose your surfacing material if you don't get it off fast enough.

If you are semi-permanent, say for the season, it might pay to drop in some concrete footers and build a 2' base from 2X4s or trees you cut down.  You would of course need permission to do that before TSHTF.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
Something hard that can last for at least 50 yrs can then be used to cover it.

50 Years! Nay. Marine ply won't even do 50 years. That's bullshit to get round the fact that reinforced plastic sheet hardens and cracks in 5 years, and you can't replace it after TSHTF.

I have a 6m x 3m tarp with lots of grommets and a rachet strap that can quickly produce a TIGHT ridge line to support the tarp, reaching down to the ground on one side and forming a groundsheet. When the tarp doesn't reach the ground it is free to act like a sail and can develop tremendous force in gusts and then suddenly change to tremendous force in the other direction in squalls.  Flapping will wreck your tarp in no time.  Guy ropes with built in springs help prevent tent pegs pulling out.  Air bed, space blanket, mosquito net, and kero lamp - low tech, versatile, easy to store, put up, take down, cheap.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
Something hard that can last for at least 50 yrs can then be used to cover it.

50 Years! Nay. Marine ply won't even do 50 years. That's bullshit to get round the fact that reinforced plastic sheet hardens and cracks in 5 years, and you can't replace it after TSHTF.

I have a 6m x 3m tarp with lots of grommets and a rachet strap that can quickly produce a TIGHT ridge line to support the tarp, reaching down to the ground on one side and forming a groundsheet. When the tarp doesn't reach the ground it is free to act like a sail and can develop tremendous force in gusts and then suddenly change to tremendous force in the other direction in squalls.  Flapping will wreck your tarp in no time.  Guy ropes with built in springs help prevent tent pegs pulling out.  Air bed, space blanket, mosquito net, and kero lamp - low tech, versatile, easy to store, put up, take down, cheap.

I collect a few vintage cars and use tarps to cover them if theres nowhere undercover to store them. The heavy duty ones are only good for 5 yrs from UV even without flapping in the wind, lighter ones probably 3 yrs. To last 50 yrs, can be covered in chicken wire then concrete, even clay and baked, or cutting triangle panels out of hardwood or aluminium, even colourbond and sealing all the joins. I think larger overlapping hexagonal pieces can be used too, not just triangles, as the seal between those would eventually perish and leak.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
Typical Tarp material left out as a cover full time with a lot of UV exposure probably last 5-10 years.  I have plenty of extra tarps in my preps. lol.  They will be around a lot longer than I will.

You can get material that will last a whole lot longer than that, although you will have to pay for it of course.  The vinyl that Monolithic domes uses to make their balloons lasts 30 years and still going.  The method they use to put up their domes is to blow up a big vinyl balloon, then spray the inside with a layer of Polyurethane foam for insulation, then hang rebar from that and finally spray shotcrete inside over the rebar for the dome physical strength in thermal mass on the inside.

The vinyl balloon on the outside is left on and protects the foam insulation from being degraded by UV.  David South has domes on his property 30 years old with their original vinyl covers on them still in good shape.  Top quality plastic is very durable.

Eventually you will need to cover your domes with material not manufactured by industrial civilization, although I think that period is pretty far off.  Woven grasses, leaves, thatch that sort of thing.  Here's a traditional Zulu thatched dome.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN