Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SUN ☼ / Total Eclipse of the SUN☼: T-SHIRTS Ordered!
« Last post by RE on Today at 05:32:57 PM »
The T-Shirts for the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ Adventure have been ordered!  I did it at a local silkscreener so I will have to carry them on the plane, which means I will also now need to check a bag in luggage for $25.

Appearing on the front in the Left Pocket Position around 3" in size is the SUN☼ Logo.

SUN logo 5
SUN logo 5

Center Front also is the map of the Path of Totality across the FSoA with the list in order of all the States in order that the Total Eclipse of the SUN☼ will pass over.

SUN Eclipse Totality map 3
SUN Eclipse Totality map 3

On the back in large format to fill the back screen is the SUN☼ Eclipse Logo:

SUN Eclipse logo 3
SUN Eclipse logo 3

The T-Shirts are Black with Yellow printing.

I ordered 20 shirts in sizes from Medium to Extra Large.  I am keeping one Large and one Extra Large for myself.  The rest are available as a Gift for anyone who wants to support the SUN☼ Foundation with a $50 Donation (or more!  :icon_sunny:). Your Donation is TAX DEDUCTIBLE!  Diners get first crack at this valuable memento of a once-in-a-lifetime event.

PM me if you would like to order one and I will give you instructions on how to order.

Next up, since I need a checked bag anyhow, I am looking into Vinyl Signs to attach to my Rental Stealth Van at the Campsite.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Doomsteading / Re: Summer in the tropical rainforest
« Last post by Palloy2 on Today at 05:29:48 PM »
I've had a run of 9 dry days (the longest run since early November last year) so I out watering my tubs of plants yesterday. That of course made it rain last night. The sky was so heavy and dark, the dog wanted me to go out and give the chickens their evening feed an hour early, and that cold blustery wind was back.
Surly Newz / Re: You're Half The Man Your Father Was
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 04:44:13 PM »
Sperm Counts Have Plummeted Among Western Men, Scientists Confirm

Isn't that a good thing?  We need a lower population, right?

RE

Guess it all depends on your perspective.

I read a variation on this same article 30 years ago in Esquire, then based on a Swedish study. From all indications we westerners are poisoning ourselves. The little swimmers don't hold up so well in the toxic hell broth we expose them to daily. And from all indications it's getting worse.

Meanwhile, the extreme right wingers, the same ones who deny climate warming, are exhorting their next generations to outbreed the hated liberals. Hence the "quiverfull" movement, in which fundamentalists breed like rabbits in order to stem the brown demographic tide.

I don't much care, but given the last six months. "The Handmaids Tale" is going to read like a prophecy, rather than an act of fiction.
The Republic of Gilead? Oh, fuck yes, it can happen here.

I have a quiverfull of social justice warriors. LOL.
« Last post by RE on Today at 04:42:59 PM »

The Republic of Gilead won't last long.  No Goobermints will for quite some time.  You'll get failed states like Somalia, Venezuela, etc.  You'll also get a LOT of Dead People.  The Republic of Gilead is the least of your worries here.

RE
Doomsteading / Re: RE Gets a Stealth Van!
« Last post by RE on Today at 04:28:48 PM »
Yes Im a jerk, you got THAT right.

At least there is one thing we can agree on.  :icon_sunny:

RE
The new jobs Trump's creating.

A transient in Cheyenne, Wyoming collected over $200 in just a few hours of panhandling.

A police department in Cheyenne, Wy. is encouraging people to stop giving money to panhandlers and instead start giving it to charities. 

Officers with the Department arrested a transient on July 22 for public intoxication.

"This is a person we frequently deal with, but we want to illustrate that there are better ways to help the transient population than to give them money for panhandling," the Police Department said in a Facebook post.

This transient collected $234.94 in just a few hours of asking for money, according to the post. 

Cheyenne PD asks that people give to local charities that help homeless people directly instead of "feeding someone's alcohol addiction."
Geopolitics / US Navy Patrol Ship Fires Warning Shots At Iranian Vessel
« Last post by Palloy2 on Today at 04:07:46 PM »
More sabre-rattling. US seems to be pressing on all fronts.  Russia (sanctions), China (freedom of navigation/overflight), Europe (Russian sanctions), Iran, North Korea, Venezuela.  I suppose this distracts from the losing the war in Afghanistan.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-25/us-navy-patrol-ship-fires-warning-shots-iranian-vessel
US Navy Patrol Ship Fires Warning Shots At Iranian Vessel
Tyler Durden
Jul 25, 2017

One day after a US spy plane had to take "evasive action" over the East China Sea after a Chinese fighter jet showed off its Top Gun skills and appeared 90 meters in front of the interloper, a US Navy patrol ship fired warning shots toward an Iranian vessel near the northern Arabian Gulf on Tuesday after the vessel came within 150 yards (137 meters).

Reuters, which confirms the report, quotes an  official who said the USS Thunderbolt fired the warning shots after the Iranian vessel ignored radio calls and the ship's whistle. The Thunderbolt was being accompanied by several U.S. Coast Guard vessels.

The official also said that the Iranian vessel appeared to be from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“The IRGCN boat was coming in at a high rate of speed. It did not respond to any signals, they did not respond to any bridge-to-bridge calls, they felt there was no choice except to fire the warning shots,” the defense official told AFP.

The incident comes as tensions in the Arabian Gulf remain elevated throughout the Qatar crisis, with Iran backing up the small kingdom against the Saudi-led Arab bloc. Additionally, Iran lashed out at the US following the latest sanctions and even though Trump's administration recently declared that Iran was complying with its nuclear agreement with world powers, he warned that Tehran was not following the spirit of the accord and that Washington would look for ways to strengthen it.

Similar incidents have happened periodically, the last in January when a U.S. Navy destroyer fired three warning shots at four Iranian fast-attack vessels near the Strait of Hormuz after they closed in at high speed and disregarded repeated requests to slow down.
Lawmaker schedules hearing with goal of replacing FCC's net neutrality rules.

The biggest websites and the biggest Internet service providers are being summoned to Congress to testify about net neutrality.

US Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.), chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, said he is scheduling a full committee hearing titled, "Ground rules for the Internet ecosystem," for September 7.

"Today I'm sending formal invitations to the top executives of the leading technology companies including Facebook, Alphabet, Amazon, and Netflix, as well as broadband providers including Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, and Charter Communications, inviting each of them to come and testify before our full Energy and Commerce Committee," Walden said during a Federal Communications Commission oversight hearing this morning.
End the ping-pong game

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, who appeared at today's oversight hearing, is leading a proceeding to reverse the commission's classification of Internet providers as common carriers and related net neutrality rules. Walden wants Congress to step in and said both ISPs and websites should weigh in first.

Facebook, the Alphabet-owned Google, Amazon, and Netflix supported this month's Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality event. Major ISPs have consistently opposed the net neutrality rules issued by the FCC in 2015, but the rules were upheld in court despite a challenge by the broadband industry.

"It's time for Congress to legislate the rules of the Internet, and stop the ping-pong game of regulations and litigation," Walden said. "Given the importance of this public policy debate and the work we need to do as a committee, it is essential that we hear directly from the country's top Internet and edge provider leaders who frequently speak out publicly about rules of the Internet. It's time they came before us and directly shared their positions and answered our questions. With more than a month's advance notice, I'm sure they can arrange their schedules to accommodate our invitations."

Walden said he wants the committee to "fully understand all sides of the Internet governance issue," including "Internet operations and consumer privacy." Congress recently eliminated privacy rules that would have required ISPs to get their customers' permission before using, selling, or sharing Web browsing history and app usage history but could try to institute new rules that apply both to ISPs and website operators.

Republicans in Congress have pitched various net neutrality proposals. Some would wipe out net neutrality rules entirely. Other Republican proposals would institute rules against blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization while preventing the FCC from using its common carrier authority to protect customers from other abuses by ISPs.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/07/facebook-alphabet-amazon-and-netflix-called-to-testify-on-net-neutrality/
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 03:50:04 PM »
Sperm Counts Have Plummeted Among Western Men, Scientists Confirm

Isn't that a good thing?  We need a lower population, right?

RE

Guess it all depends on your perspective.

I read a variation on this same article 30 years ago in Esquire, then based on a Swedish study. From all indications we westerners are poisoning ourselves. The little swimmers don't hold up so well in the toxic hell broth we expose them to daily. And from all indications it's getting worse.

Meanwhile, the extreme right wingers, the same ones who deny climate warming, are exhorting their next generations to outbreed the hated liberals. Hence the "quiverfull" movement, in which fundamentalists breed like rabbits in order to stem the brown demographic tide.

I don't much care, but given the last six months. "The Handmaids Tale" is going to read like a prophecy, rather than an act of fiction.

Sales of new cars and lorries that rely on fossil fuels will be outlawed in a bid to reduce pollution

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned from 2040 as part of efforts to tackle air pollution, the Government is expected to announce.

A £255m fund is expected to be unveiled to help councils speed up local measures to deal with pollution from diesel vehicles, as part of £3bn spending on air quality.

The measures are set to be included in a court-mandated clean air strategy the Government is due to publish on Wednesday, just days before the deadline set by the High Court.

The expected move to ban petrol and diesel vans and cars follows similar plans announced in France this month and amid increasing signs that the shift to electric vehicles is accelerating.

On Tuesday, BMW announced plans for an electric Mini to be assembled at its Oxford plant while earlier this month Volvo unveiled its moves towards cleaner cars.

The Government was ordered to produce new plans to tackle illegal levels of harmful pollutant nitrogen dioxide after the courts agreed with environmental campaigners that a previous set of plans were insufficient to meet EU pollution limits.

Despite government efforts to delay publication of the plans until after the general election, ministers were forced to set out the draft plans in May, with the final measures due by July 31.

It is thought ministers will also consult on a diesel scrappage scheme to take the dirtiest vehicles off the road.

Campaigners have demanded the final plans should include government-funded and mandated clean air zones, with charges for the most polluting vehicles to enter areas with high air pollution, as well as a diesel scrappage scheme.

Their calls for charging zones were backed up by an assessment published alongside the draft plans which suggested they were the most effective measures to tackle nitrogen dioxide, much of which comes from diesel vehicles.

But ministers have been wary of being seen to "punish" drivers of diesel cars, who they claim bought the vehicles in good faith after being encouraged to by the last Labour government on the basis they produced lower carbon emissions.

They favour local measures such as retrofitting buses and other transport to make them cleaner, changing road layouts and even altering features such as speed humps and re-programming traffic lights to make traffic flow more smoothly to reduce pollution.

The expected move to ban diesel and petrol cars and vans by 2040 comes after similar plans were announced in France this month and amid increasing signs that the shift to electric vehicles is accelerating, with BMW announcing plans for an electric Mini and Volvo unveiling its moves towards cleaner cars.

Air pollution is linked to around 40,000 premature deaths a year in the UK, and transport also makes up a significant share of greenhouse gas emissions.

A government spokesman said: "Poor air quality is the biggest environmental risk to public health in the UK and this government is determined to take strong action in the shortest time possible.

"That is why we are providing councils with new funding to accelerate development of local plans, as part of an ambitious £3bn programme to clean up dirty air around our roads.

"Our plan to deal with dirty diesels will help councils clean up emissions hotspots – often a single road – through common sense measures which do not unfairly penalise ordinary working people.

"Diesel drivers are not to blame and, to help them switch to cleaner vehicles, the Government will consult on a targeted scrappage scheme, one of a number of measures to support motorists affected by local plans."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-petrol-diesel-ban-cars-vehicles-britain-sales-fuels-fossil-government-a7860181.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10