Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Surly Newz / Doomstead Diner Daily 11/23- The Thanksgiving Day Edition
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 04:37:12 AM »

Doomstead Diner Daily 11/23- The Thanksgiving Day Edition

banner

News digest brought to you by the Doomstead Diner.

• Thursday, Nov. 23, 2017
  • Next update in a day
  • Archives

Subscribe to the Email Newsletter

Editor's note

The Doomstead Diner is a hub for discussion and information pertaining to the ongoing Economic Collapse of the Industrial Economy. The Diner is the result of many years of discussion and debate on many other forums.
At Doomstead Diner, our goal is to collate much of the information we can to assist in planning for the world to come.

Art & Photography / Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Thanksgiving Day
« Last post by Golden Oxen on Today at 04:16:27 AM »

Home To Thanksgiving 1867 - Currier&Ives

Catching the Thanksgiving Turkey 1943 - Grandma Moses

Thanksgiving 1935 - Doris Lee

Knarfs Knewz / Re: Resort to open Friday after historic snowfall
« Last post by Eddie on November 22, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort groomers carve a traverse under a heavy layer of new snow. The resort will open a few lifts Friday, and the gondolas and two more lifts are scheduled to open Saturday.

After historic early season snowfall, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is pushing up its opening day.

On Friday, skiers and snowboarders will be able to access the Teton, Apres Vous and Teewinot lifts a day earlier than scheduled. The Bridger and Sweetwater gondolas, and Casper and Marmot lifts, are scheduled to open the following day.

Resort spokeswoman Anna Cole said the early push came to fruition because of the work of the resort’s operations staff and cooperation from Mother Nature.

“The tools were all in place to open up,” she said. “It’s the conditions that allowed it to happen.”

Weather station data available via the Bridger-Teton Avalanche Center reported 53 inches of snow in Rendezvous Bowl, 45 inches at the Raymer plot and 36 inches at midmountain. Over 100 inches of snow have fallen in the upper elevations, with a storm front moving in Monday night expected to drop up to 11 inches at the higher elevations.

Resort business development director Bill Lewkowitz said the amount of snow on the upper mountain is incredible.

“I did comparisons looking at other resorts, and no one has snow like us,” he said. “For the most part in the U.S., we’ve been very, very lucky.”

Cole said that in her tenure at the resort, which spans almost a decade, this is the second-largest amount of terrain that is planned to be skiable on opening weekend.

The early opening announcement also came with news of the resort being ranked the No. 1 ski resort in North America by Forbes Magazine for the seventh year in a row.

In addition to the skiing during opening weekend, other resort offerings are also available. The Aerial Tram will be spinning for scenic rides from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday and Saturday; Cafe 6,311 and the General Store will be open Friday; and Casper Restaurant and Off-Piste will open Saturday. Hoback Sports, Teton Village Sports and Jackson Hole Sports plan to have holiday gear specials and rentals.

There is no date set for the tram to open for skiing, but Cole said to expect more terrain to open by next week. And while there may be record-breaking early season snow, early season conditions do exist, she said.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/sports/features/resort-to-open-friday-after-historic-snowfall/article_32bc2551-3b13-5896-bc13-4ce077018296.html

I skied there once. Jackson is a great town at Christmas. Lots of fine art galleries full of cowboy art. And they don't have bars. They have saloons. There is another mountain that's skiable, right in town, called the Snow King. We skied it too. Must have been...1985, I think. The flight in was through a driving snowstorm in a 20 seat turboprop. It felt like we were flying sideways...and then we popped out of the storm and the mountain was. like, RIGHT THERE man...and then we touched down and everything was fine. But it was memorable.
Knarfs Knewz / Re: Web of secret money hides one mega-donor funding conservative court
« Last post by Eddie on November 22, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
WASHINGTON

When a small nonprofit called the Judicial Crisis Network poured millions into a campaign to stop the Senate from confirming Barack Obama’s Supreme Court pick last year, and then spent millions more supporting President Donald Trump’s choice for the same seat, political observers assumed conservatives from around the country were showering the group with donations.

Not so.

Newly obtained tax documents show that JCN’s money came almost entirely from yet another secretive nonprofit, the Wellspring Committee, which flooded JCN with nearly $23.5 million in 2016.

Most of Wellspring’s funds, in turn, came from a single mysterious donor who gave the organization almost $28.5 million — nearly 90 percent of its $32.2 million in revenues.

Like JCN, Wellspring — at one time tied to the donor network spearheaded by conservative industrialists Charles and David Koch — is a nonprofit that is supposed to be dedicated to social welfare functions and doesn’t have to disclose the names of its benefactors. Since the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision loosened certain constraints on political spending, these and other 501(c)(4) groups have become increasingly politically active while providing anonymity to their donors. Often one group, like Wellspring, will act as a conduit, giving most of its funds to other, similar groups with political agendas.

"It sounds like Wellspring Committee acted as a dark money conduit to provide an extra layer of secrecy to whomever was bankrolling the Judicial Crisis Network ads," Brendan Fischer of the nonpartisan Campaign Legal Center in Washington said in an email interview. "This has the effect of layering secrecy on top of secrecy, and almost entirely insulating donors from any form of public accountability."

But, Fischer added, "Even though the public doesn’t know who is really behind the tens of millions spent, there is nothing stopping these secret donors from making their identities known to the beneficiaries of that spending."

Illinois Policy Action was another organization that benefited from Wellspring’s grants in 2016, receiving $2.5 million; it’s the lobbying arm of the Illinois Policy Institute, a conservative Chicago think tank in Chicago that has ties to the state’s billionaire governor, Republican Bruce Rauner, according to the Chicago Tribune. In 2016, the institute released a documentary critical of Rauner’s political opponent, Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan, a Democrat.

The American Future Fund, another former Koch “dark money” nonprofit, pulled in $2 million from Wellspring last year. It spent more than $12.7 million in 2016 federal elections without disclosing its donors.

Early in the Republican presidential primaries, AFF appeared to be supporting Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) through attacks on his GOP opponents, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Donald Trump.

When the group ran ads highlighting lawsuits against Trump University, the Republican frontrunner tweeted “Phony Rubio commercial. I could have settled, but won't out of principle!” Trump did eventually settle the lawsuit for $25 million after becoming president.

Wellspring also paid out $750,000 to a firm called BH Group LLC, not as a grant but for “public relations” services.

The corporation is nearly untraceable beyond an address for a “virtual office” in Arlington, Va. A representative of the company that manages the space, Regus, said that the BH Group has no physical presence and that all its mail is forwarded to another address. The representative would not provide a forwarding address or any names of individuals affiliated with BH Group “for security reasons.”

BH Group LLC’s only other appearance in the public record? On the list of Trump inaugural donors: It gave $1 million to help pay for the festivities. Virginia incorporation records show the LLC wasn’t formed until the end of August 2016. That means Wellspring’s payment to it was made between then and the end of the year — right around when the Trump inaugural committee was doing the bulk of its fundraising.

As for the Judicial Crisis Network, when Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch was sworn in last April, the group’s chief counsel was there, snapping pictures in the White House Rose Garden.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/crime/article185832013.html

This is troubling. If it isn't the Kochs it's a Robert Mercer or somebody like Tim Dunn from Midland, Texas. They're all the same. And it isn't good that their big money is what's shaping morals and politics these days. And this isn't just the usual looting. It's shaping the high court for a generation.
Marathon Man Newz / Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving
« Last post by Eddie on November 22, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
My son and his beloved drove down from Chicago yesterday, and they spent the day hanging out with his local friends, whom he hasn't seen much of lately. Now they've gone out for ice cream.

Adventurer daughter is in Costa Rica with her BF taking a much anticipated few days off from her school schedule, which has been pretty grueling, what with her studies in Chinese medicine and accupuncture, and finishing up pre-requisites for "real" medical school.

Singer daughter is in NY. We were going up, but backed out several weeks ago. Too close to Christmas vacation.

Teacher daughter has been off work this week, but hasn't made it across town to drop in. I expect she'll show up here an hour before time for TG dinner, as we're loading up the car to drive to the park. That's our tradition now, for 20 plus years, to eat the holiday meal outdoors in the park. It's been very warm here, but it's supposed to get down in the 30's tonight, with temps tomorrow in the 60's. I'm sure it'll be a beautiful day, though. Thanksgiving Day almost always is here.

I have completed the assembly of the chocolate mousse, which is my special holiday dessert. I tasted it, and it's damned good.

I also have about 20 filets marinating in fresh garlic, sea salt, and organic pepper overnight, which I will grill in the park. Other people will be bringing the turkey, ham, and all the sides and desserts that have come to be expected. I do steaks and baked potatoes. I decided not to do steaks last year, and some people were disappointed. So...they're back!  We're expecting about fifteen people.

I wanted to drop in to the Diner and say a special thanks to everyone who contributes here: Surly, RE, AGelbert, Golden Oxen, David B. Moniker, Azozeo, Knarf,K-Dog  Monsta, Lucid, GypsyMama and all those who drop by to read the collapse press. The Diner has been a refuge for me over several years now, and I feel like this forum has been where I've found my chops as a writer, such as they are.

Love is an overused word but I love all you guys. You've been my daily companions in the virtual world and my compatriots on some excellent adventures in the real world too, most of you.  So, I just wanted to say thanks.

Saturday is my 62nd birthday. The collapse of modern civilization is ongoing. It is speeding up, and it's more noticeable even to the most casual observer than it was when I first visited the Diner. I'm not even sure how long that's been. Four years? Five? Who knows what the next year holds, or the next ten.

But I'm grateful. Grateful for a good life. Grateful for the lesson here, even if humanity, as a group, isn't learning it fast enough to prevent disaster. And especially grateful for my doomer friends. I wish each of you a wonderful day tomorrow. I hope you get to spend it with those you love the most, and that you get to enjoy whatever special foods and traditions that make Thanksgiving what it is for you.

Agelbert Newz / Re: Agelbert's Newz Channel
« Last post by agelbert on November 22, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »

:P
Knarfs Knewz / Re: Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
« Last post by Surly1 on November 22, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »

Mnangagwa is due in Harare later on Wednesday

Former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa will be sworn in as president on Friday, according to Zimbabwe's state broadcaster.

//
Shortly after being sacked, the former vice president fled the country claiming that he and his family had been threatened by Mugabe.

The former president's wife, Grace Mugabe, called Mnangagwa a "coup plotter" and a "coward" in a speech shortly after his sacking.

That incident was also said to have ruffled feathers within Zimbabwe's ruling establishment.

Mnangagwa, like Mugabe, is a veteran of the struggle for independence from Britain. He is considered by the military to be an appropriate replacement for the former president, who at 93 was Africa's oldest leader.

Grace Mugabe's ambitions for the presidency were fiercely opposed by the armed forces, who warned that they would not allow someone who had not fought in the independence war to take helm of the country.

Despite their relationship taking a sharp turn in recent months, Mnangagwa and Mugabe had once been strong allies, even sharing a cell during their imprisonment.

Mnangagwa had been a member of Mugabe's cabinet since the country's independence and vice president since 2014.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/mnangagwa-sworn-president-friday-171122093626988.html

Oh, good. Wouldn't want to interrupt the flow of platinum and diamonds out of Zimbabwe into South Africa (and hence to New York and London and Tel Aviv).

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Thought of you when I read about "the Crocodile."

Vanadium Flow Batteries for Cost-Effective Energy Storage: An Interview with Angelo D’Anzi, CTO of StorEn Technologies

November 21st, 2017 by Sponsored Content

SNIPPET:

How can you achieve such a low cost per kWh? ???

StorEn TechnologyCost is crucial for the adoption of energy storage. Our work is about bringing evolution to the technology with the objectives to improve performance as a way to drive down costs. We developed a disruptive battery technology based on both chemical and engineering solutions, leading to a 50% cost reduction. We are targeting a price of $400/kWh with a 25 year duration with no decay.  :o 

The great breakthrough is our innovative high-power electrodes made with nanomaterials and a proprietary functionalization process. With this innovation we have doubled power density over traditional batteries, while running at low pressure.

The ability to run at low pressure means that less of the battery’s own energy is required to run the pumps, hence round-trip efficiency is increased. Additionally, duration of the battery is also increased. To support the electrochemical activity, we couple our Hi-Power Nano-Structured Carbon Electrode to our MULTIGRID™ multipoint flow distribution to deliver an increase in power in excess of 50%.

We also wanted to make a battery that was virtually maintenance-free, like a car battery, for trouble-free operations and reduced Total Costs of Ownership. We developed two proprietary systems, RESAFE™ and EQUILEVELS™. These two systems support a battery that is virtually maintenance-free by eliminating service activities.

Our battery can be monitored remotely with our built-in BMS (Battery Management System). Therefore we implement a shift from scheduled on-site inspections to a maintenance-on-demand model. For example, if one of our batteries was installed in a remote telecommunications tower for power back-up, remote monitoring can reduce or eliminate the need for periodic on-site visits, which can translate in significant cost savings.

Full article:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/21/vanadium-flow-batteries-for-cost-effective-energy-storage/
Knarfs Knewz / Re: It's Your Civic Duty to Ruin Thanksgiving by Bringing Up Trump
« Last post by Surly1 on November 22, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
Trump is the poster boy for accelerating collapse. Quick, loot the Treasury before the last bit of blood is sucked from the taxpayers' veins.

Great article.

Eddie, exactly so.Look at the events, the effort and the timing, and it makes me thing we're getting close.
Agelbert Newz / MORE Fossil Fuel Industry Skullduggery!
« Last post by agelbert on November 22, 2017, 04:09:44 PM »
How Pipelines Put You In Danger For Profit! (w/Guest Greg Palast)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgcHhWHTw84" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IgcHhWHTw84</a>

Greg Palast joins Thom to share his investigation into the alteration of pipeline safety equipment to avoid the cost of repairing old pipelines, the results are explosive.

Thom Hartmann Nov. 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Agelbert NOTE:
Fossil Fuel Indutry reaction to the above irrefutable evidence of Skullduggery:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10