Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Surly Newz / Re: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 06:51:11 PM »
I'm glad I listened to Browder's interview. He comes across as very, very credible, and as a genuine crusader for justice.

Nothing he said about Putin surprises me, and I understand much better why Putin is out to get him. He's the kind of American the rest of the world has to take seriously. Smart, matter of fact. In possession of the facts, and (surprising to me) willing to risk his own life in pursuit of justice for his friend who got murdered. It's that last part that's really rare in the Wall Street world.

Am gratified that you reached the same assessment of Browder that I did. Thank's for listening.
Peet's podcast is a weekly must-listen for the radio-jaded commuter.
Surly Newz / Re: Things That Make Me Say, "Dafuq?"
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 06:04:17 PM »
But Browder is a Brit now, by change of citizenship. Says he emigrated 29 years ago.

So Trump can't trade him cause he don't own him.
Surly Newz / Re: The Alternet Thread
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 04:43:47 PM »
If Jr. is alive, he has got to write a book IMMEDIATELY...

He lived at sea & raised his kids

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NkufG1i3Uk8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NkufG1i3Uk8&fs=1</a>
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 04:27:47 PM »
If Jr. is alive, he has got to write a book IMMEDIATELY...
Marathon Man Newz / Re: Got Sand?
« Last post by David B. on Today at 04:14:40 PM »
That pic was taken in a wet year. LOL. It's a trickle right now.

But yeah, that's out in Llano county, which is all granite. Ancient worn down mountains, older than the Appalachians. Just hills now. Millions of years of erosion.
I suppose its just too pricey to extract the sand via dredging instead of quarrying? around here we have exactly 2 types of ground. Granite and sand... glacial till really sort of like the ball bearings of past ice ages.
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 04:07:16 PM »
The whole vid is great but at the 2:00 min mark is WOW time. Dad gets asked the big question....

Look Here, Look There was a Q Post in april.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6SCkylrQMs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S6SCkylrQMs&fs=1</a>
Marathon Man Newz / Re: NY Times Puts Trump In Their Sights
« Last post by jdwheeler42 on Today at 03:24:09 PM »
This kind of op-ed piece is typical NYT anti-Trump rhetoric, but you have to admit it does look like the mask is starting to slip on Trump's lack of real coherent understanding of world politics. He's been out of his depth since the day he got elected, but his bullshit has been working until now. It is not clear that it keeps working.

The Unwinding of Donald Trump

By David RemnickJuly 17, 2018

The contemptible remarks that Trump delivered alongside Vladimir Putin seemed to mark a turning point, even for some of his most ardent defenders.Photograph by Yuri Gripas / Bloomberg / Getty
In dictatorial states, a failure to applaud the Leader has often been a matter of treason. Last February, following the State of the Union address, President Trump flew to Blue Ash, Ohio, for a rally and accused the Democrats in Congress of that very crime. Their crime was a failure to stand and applaud sufficiently for the President of the United States.
I think you and the NYT are missing the real point.  The cardinal rule of being a strongman is NEVER SHOW WEAKNESS.  That is where Trump stumbled in Helsinki.  Apologizing afterwards only made it worse.  The moment the Alpha starts to limp the other wolves start to attack to try to establish dominance.  Can Trump recover?  We shall see.
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 03:11:26 PM »
That pic was taken in a wet year. LOL. It's a trickle right now.

But yeah, that's out in Llano county, which is all granite. Ancient worn down mountains, older than the Appalachians. Just hills now. Millions of years of erosion.
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 02:58:12 PM »
Not sure if any of you heard the story about the world shortage of sand, and how the new colonial/extraction rip-off is to take sand from the less developed parts of the world to use to replace beach sand in places where it's all been washed away by storms and changing climate?

According to the missus, this was a big story on NPR today. I haven't heard it yet.

But, we're in the middle of a new fight here between some sand miners and the local environmental groups. One of the main tributaries of Lake LBJ is a really, really sandy creek called (no surprise) Sandy Creek. I cross it about five miles before I get to the lake house.

Some company had leased or bought land on the creek and aim to take that gritty stuff off our hands so it doesn't get stuck between our toes....but the folks who live out near there are putting up signs everywhere. I just saw them last weekend, and it's hitting the papers here.

The funny thing is that the lake was first flooded in the mid 1950's and since then the lake has almost filled up with sand from that damn creek. They should drain the lake and let them suck that sand up. Everybody would love for it to be gone. Some people have to pay to get dredging to get to their boat docks.

But that isn't gonna happen. I hate to see them take all the sand. It's a very pretty creek.

You guys have some really pretty countryside  :icon_sunny:
Marathon Man Newz / Got Sand?
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 02:45:54 PM »
Not sure if any of you heard the story about the world shortage of sand, and how the new colonial/extraction rip-off is to take sand from the less developed parts of the world to use to replace beach sand in places where it's all been washed away by storms and changing climate?

According to the missus, this was a big story on NPR today. I haven't heard it yet.

But, we're in the middle of a new fight here between some sand miners and the local environmental groups. One of the main tributaries of Lake LBJ is a really, really sandy creek called (no surprise) Sandy Creek. I cross it about five miles before I get to the lake house.

Some company had leased or bought land on the creek and aim to take that gritty stuff off our hands so it doesn't get stuck between our toes....but the folks who live out near there are putting up signs everywhere. I just saw them last weekend, and it's hitting the papers here.

The funny thing is that the lake was first flooded in the mid 1950's and since then the lake has almost filled up with sand from that damn creek. They should drain the lake and let them suck that sand up. Everybody would love for it to be gone. Some people have to pay to get dredging to get to their boat docks.

But that isn't gonna happen. I hate to see them take all the sand. It's a very pretty creek.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10