Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9q7mvc6bsY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W9q7mvc6bsY</a>
Agelbert Newz / Climate Nexus: Denier Roundup: Pruitt Vs Pruitt
« Last post by agelbert on Today at 08:40:54 PM »

In the Battle of Pruitt Vs Pruitt, Industry Wins Every Time

Scott Pruitt’s long-awaited first appearance before the House committee that oversees the EPA was, somehow, both incredibly boring and richly informative. While Pruitt delivered his well-honed lawyer act like the seasoned professional he is, dodging and pivoting like a champ, there were a few notable fumbles in his performance.

For example, when Florida Representative Kathy Castor questioned Pruitt about his refusal to recuse himself from decisions involving both his donors and his previous co-litigants, Pruitt refused to answer. He instead deferred to the EPA’s ethics office, who apparently allow him to work on suits he was part of before becoming administrator. Implied conflicts of interest, Pruitt seemed to infer, aren’t a valid reason for recusal if the EPA ethics office doesn’t mandate it.

However, when pressed about his reforms to the EPA science boards, Pruitt’s response was that the removal of EPA grant recipients was to prevent “a perception or appearance of a lack of independence.” Who was making those complaints? Why, the tobacco and fossil fuel industries of course! And whose favorite researchers have gotten added to the board? Those same industries, whose products are regulated by the EPA.

So Pruitt claims replacing independent advisors with industry-funded advisors is necessary to prevent the EPA from appearing biased. But when it comes to Pruitt and his appointees working on cases and decisions they were once involved in, apparently the appearance of a lack of independence doesn’t matter. Even ignoring the fact industry scientists are the opposite of independent, Pruitt’s own standard for avoiding the appearance of impropriety is conveniently inconsistent.

As E&E’s Scott Waldman described in his roundup of the hearing, Pruitt also contradicted the very arguments the people he’s brought onto those advisory boards make about the dangers of particulate matter. Responding to California Rep. Raul Ruiz, Pruitt acknowledged the health benefits to reducing particulate matter pollution. But the Clean Power Plan repeal’s economic justification hinges on zeroing out those benefits to skew the cost-benefit analysis.

Pruitt also said a little more about the Endangerment finding than he has before, making the lawyerly process argument that by referring to the IPCC reports, the EPA committed a “breach of process.” But as Chelsea Harvey at E&E reports, that exact argument was used in a 2012 case, Coalition for Responsible Regulation Inc. v. EPA.

It lost. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit decision ruled it “little more than a semantic trick,” saying the "EPA is not required to re-prove the existence of the atom every time it approaches a scientific question."   

Although Pruitt claims a deference to the “rule of law,” (even running a group with that in its name before moving to the EPA) apparently the rule of law doesn’t count when industry lost.

Although Pruitt claims particulate matter pollution is a health threat, his own CPP repeal math doesn’t include it.

Although Pruitt claims the appearance of a conflict of interest warrants removing advisors to the EPA, that same concern doesn’t extend to his own conflicts, or of those he’s bringing into the EPA.

At this point, if Pruitt claimed he wasn’t a robot controlled by polluting industries, we’d want to check that secret superfluous $25,000 phone booth for charging cables and a remote control interface.  ;D

BREAKING NEWS: Democrat Doug Jones just defeated Roy Moore in Alabama!

Knarfs Knewz / Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Last post by RE on Today at 07:42:11 PM »
I think what you say in this symbol is true. Life in this immensely vast universe will undoubtedly happen somewhere, and it probably already does. What boggles my mind is that you have been warning others about the coming collapse of the human race for years, and even started your own website so you can let others know how serious a situation we are in. You have written admirably about many subjects that are threatening our survival, you have done numerous podcasts with people who know that the we are in deep shit, and it is getting deeper everyday. You have devoted most of your waking life, since you woke up, to helping others realize many different ways that our existence is in peril. Yet now you want to have a stupid wrestling match with others who finally get it. The extinction symbol , as I already posted is about what you have been preaching for probably 20 years, and you reject that symbol because you do not understand it. It isn't about the extinction of "life", it is about the terrible mess we have made of this biosphere, and we know now that the mess you warned everyone about, is actually happening. It is coming down to the extinction of many of the species on our planet, and they are gone forever. More extinctions are immanent.
  In our monastery there used to be all kinds of birds and frogs, but now there is only about 20% of them. Everywhere people are noticing the swift change in our biosphere, and it has know been hypothesized that we are in a sixth mass extinction by thousands of capable scientists. It is like you have given leave of your predictions, because they have come to be. I know you feel you don't have much longer to be in the meat suit, and that might be the driving emotion that has you arguing with the very things you have been working tirelessly to warn others about. Many people when they are close to dying have some very broad realizations about the nature of the universe, of which you express very well in the above symbol. Maybe you are to tired to strap on your gun belt anymore, and want to to go the way way of a fully mature adult, who has realized his place in the short life span each of us have. I hope that is what this stupid arguing about symbols is about., because you are rejecting your life's work, and seems like you have entered a broader space to understand our universe.
  Your adult life's work is summed up in the extinction symbol.
  For twenty years I went everywhere I could to warn people about the coming crisis, and that forming small like mind communities is what would be best for them to do. You had the foresight to do that. I did also. Even if the SUN project doesn't literally happen, you have designed with like minded people a way to live by helping each other, and living simply. I admire what you have done with your life! I guess it is that quirk in your personality, that will argue for the sake of arguing, of which you are a champ.
  So from here on out, because this is your playground, and as you have reminded others that you are where the buck stops, I will never post the extinction symbol here again. I am sorry if it upsets you, I wish it didn't, but it does. You have been a great friend of mine, and I will not do anything that makes you upset about what I do. Your friendship is much more important to me, than having anything divide you and I. ( We are both Virgo's you know. :)) I have won many debates in school, and on the streets, so I know our talent at zeroing in on minuscule faults and exploiting them. I won't be playing that game with you, iI respect you too much. I am very glad the way you expressed yourself in the above post about the enhancement of the SUN symbol.
  I REALLY appreciate this website, and it gives me a place to post the newz that is pertinent to me, and might be to others. Even if I were not posting here I would be reading the as much newz about what's going on in the world daily. Thanks for letting me share that with others. I am sorry to have bothered you, it won't happen again.

I see you wish to discuss this rather than get in a symbology battle with me.  That is good.  :icon_sunny:

Whatever the Extinction Symbol is meant to convey by the people who use it, to the viewer it conveys a sense of hopelessness.  As far as a website is concerned, it is also a Strange Attractor for Nihilists & Misanthropes who revel in the idea of a Near Term Human Extinction.  They WANT this to happen, they blame Humanity for the destruction of the Earth ecosphere and feel we deserve to all die because of that.  These folks are over-running the collapse blogosphere, from NBL to OFW to r/collapse now too.  I don't want that happening here.  The Diner is not an Extinction Website.  It is a COLLAPSE website.  They are not synonymous.

You did not disturb my Wa by putting up these symbols, you are trying to express yourself in a way consistent with purporting to not have any beliefs.  That's fine, but I express myself in a different way and don't accept without rebuttal ideas I find insupportable.  So these Extinction Symbols get a rebuttal from me.  I was more worried that because I was taking them to task this would upset you.  You have a very low tolerance for disagreement I have found over the years.

RE
Knarfs Knewz / Re: Knarf's Knewz Channel
« Last post by knarf on Today at 07:26:03 PM »
I think what you say in this symbol is true. Life in this immensely vast universe will undoubtedly happen somewhere, and it probably already does. What boggles my mind is that you have been warning others about the coming collapse of the human race for years, and even started your own website so you can let others know how serious a situation we are in. You have written admirably about many subjects that are threatening our survival, you have done numerous podcasts with people who know that the we are in deep shit, and it is getting deeper everyday. You have devoted most of your waking life, since you woke up, to helping others realize many different ways that our existence is in peril. Yet now you want to have a stupid wrestling match with others who finally get it. The extinction symbol , as I already posted is about what you have been preaching for probably 20 years, and you reject that symbol because you do not understand it. It isn't about the extinction of "life", it is about the terrible mess we have made of this biosphere, and we know now that the mess you warned everyone about, is actually happening. It is coming down to the extinction of many of the species on our planet, and they are gone forever. More extinctions are immanent.
  In our monastery there used to be all kinds of birds and frogs, but now there is only about 20% of them. Everywhere people are noticing the swift change in our biosphere, and it has know been hypothesized that we are in a sixth mass extinction by thousands of capable scientists. It is like you have given leave of your predictions, because they have come to be. I know you feel you don't have much longer to be in the meat suit, and that might be the driving emotion that has you arguing with the very things you have been working tirelessly to warn others about. Many people when they are close to dying have some very broad realizations about the nature of the universe, of which you express very well in the above symbol. Maybe you are to tired to strap on your gun belt anymore, and want to to go the way way of a fully mature adult, who has realized his place in the short life span each of us have. I hope that is what this stupid arguing about symbols is about., because you are rejecting your life's work, and seems like you have entered a broader space to understand our universe.
  Your adult life's work is summed up in the extinction symbol.
  For twenty years I went everywhere I could to warn people about the coming crisis, and that forming small like mind communities is what would be best for them to do. You had the foresight to do that. I did also. Even if the SUN project doesn't literally happen, you have designed with like minded people a way to live by helping each other, and living simply. I admire what you have done with your life! I guess it is that quirk in your personality, that will argue for the sake of arguing, of which you are a champ.
  So from here on out, because this is your playground, and as you have reminded others that you are where the buck stops, I will never post the extinction symbol here again. I am sorry if it upsets you, I wish it didn't, but it does. You have been a great friend of mine, and I will not do anything that makes you upset about what I do. Your friendship is much more important to me, than having anything divide you and I. ( We are both Virgo's you know. :)) I have won many debates in school, and on the streets, so I know our talent at zeroing in on minuscule faults and exploiting them. I won't be playing that game with you, iI respect you too much. I am very glad the way you expressed yourself in the above post about the enhancement of the SUN symbol.
  I REALLY appreciate this website, and it gives me a place to post the newz that is pertinent to me, and might be to others. Even if I were not posting here I would be reading the as much newz about what's going on in the world daily. Thanks for letting me share that with others. I am sorry to have bothered you, it won't happen again.
THIS from Thom Hartmann

Al Gore won the popular vote, so did Hillary Clinton, and still Republicans are winning left and right... well at least right....

Thom Hartmann Dec. 11, 2017 4:00 pm

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s-WNVZOnKQo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s-WNVZOnKQo</a>

Please Pass this on!
Economics / Re: Official Death of Retail Thread: Life Without Walmart
« Last post by edpell on Today at 06:02:12 PM »
Some years ago I visited the abandoned IBM manufacturing site in Kingston NY. No longer owned by IBM so IBM bears no responsibility. My friend and I toured the raised floor that used to house mainframe computers. The roof was collapsed inward, it was raining and the water was pouring in. It was exactly like these pictures of malls but in this case a former site of American technology leadership rotting away. It was sad, tragic, capitalism at its best and worst.     

Oh, did I mention that 20 feet tree growing in the middle of the room.
Knarfs Knewz / The Enhanced SUN☼ Symbol
« Last post by RE on Today at 05:53:23 PM »
I have  enhanced the SUN☼ Symbol with an interior Spiral.

SUN logo 7sm
SUN logo 7sm

The Spiral represents 2 things.  First, Spiral Galaxies like the Milky Way where there are billions of planets that might support life for billions more years.

Second, the Golden Rectangle and the Fibonacci Spiral, the basis of life.

Extinction is not Forever.  Life is Eternal.  If it is extinguished in one spot, it will just pop up again somewhere else.  Like Schrödinger's Cat.

RE
Agelbert Newz / Racism & Trumpism in Alabama
« Last post by agelbert on Today at 05:47:45 PM »

December 12, 2017

Racism and Trumpism in Alabama

As Alabama votes ​in the special Senate election, historian Gerald Horne and TRNN senior editor Paul Jay discuss why an alleged sexual predator and slavery apologist is even in the running.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl49QAOpcTk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hl49QAOpcTk</a>

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20688' style='color:#000;

Arctic permafrost thawing faster than ever, US climate study finds

December 12, 2017

Permafrost in the Arctic is thawing faster than ever, according to a new US government report that also found Arctic seawater is warming and sea ice is melting at the fastest pace in 1,500 years.

The annual report released on Tuesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration showed slightly less warming in many measurements than a record hot 2016. But scientists remain concerned because the far northern region is warming twice as fast as the rest of the globe and has reached a level of warming that’s unprecedented in modern times.

“2017 continued to show us we are on this deepening trend where the Arctic is a very different place than it was even a decade ago,” said Jeremy Mathis, head of NOAA’s Arctic research program and co-author of the 93-page report.

Findings were discussed at the American Geophysical Union meeting in New Orleans.

“What happens in the Arctic doesn’t stay in the Arctic; it affects the rest of the planet,” said acting NOAA chief Timothy Gallaudet. “The Arctic has huge influence on the world at large.”

Permafrost records show the frozen ground that many buildings, roads and pipelines are built on reached record warm temperatures last year nearing and sometimes exceeding the thawing point. That could make them vulnerable when the ground melts and shifts, the report said. Unlike other readings, permafrost data tend to lag a year.

Preliminary reports from the US and Canada in 2017 showed permafrost temperatures are “again the warmest for all sites” measured in North America, said study co-author Vladimir Romanovsky, a professor at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks.

Arctic sea ice usually shrinks in September and this year it was only the eighth lowest on record for the melting season. But scientists said they were most concerned about what happens in the winter – especially March – when sea ice is supposed to be building to its highest levels.

Arctic winter sea ice maximum levels in 2017 were the smallest they’ve ever been for the season when ice normally grows. It was the third straight year of record low winter sea ice recovery. Records go back to 1979.

About 79% of the Arctic sea ice is thin and only a year old. In 1985, 45% of the sea ice in the Arctic was thick, older ice, said NOAA Arctic scientist Emily Osborne.

New research looking into the Arctic’s past using ice cores, fossils, corals and shells as stand-ins for temperature measurements show that Arctic ocean temperatures are rising and sea ice levels are falling at rates not seen in the 1,500 years. And those dramatic changes coincide with the large increase in carbon dioxide levels in the air, the report said.

This isn’t just a concern for the few people who live north of the Arctic circle. Changes in the Arctic can alter fish supply. And more ice-free Arctic summers can lead to countries competing to exploit new areas for resources. Research also shows changes in Arctic sea ice and temperature can alter the jet stream, which is a major factor in US weather.

This is probably partly responsible for the current unusual weather in the United States that brought destructive wildfires to California and a sharp cold snap to the south and east, according to NOAA scientist James Overland and private meteorologist expert Judah Cohen.

“The Arctic has traditionally been the refrigerator to the planet, but the door of the refrigerator has been left open,” Mathis said.

Outside scientists praised the report card.

“Overall, the new data fit with the long-term trends, showing the clear evidence of warming causing major changes,” in the Arctic, said Pennsylvania State University ice scientist Richard Alley.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/12/arctic-permafrost-sea-ice-thaw-climate-change-report

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10