Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Geological & Cosmological Events / Re: Mud Flood
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 03:44:54 PM »

Wouldn't take much to shut down this bread circus of a BAU show  :coffee:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvTbdaStw_g&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YvTbdaStw_g&fs=1</a>
K-Dog Off Leash Newz / Re: Paranoia will annoia, and how can we know?
« Last post by azozeo on Today at 03:41:25 PM »
Nice digs....

Way to start a new wing of this haunt with Dos Equis Man & NOT ONE but TWO (2) babes......

Nicely done  :icon_mrgreen:

Quick question ? Is this a MeToo friendly zone  :icon_scratch:
Geopolitics / Re: French Fried Frog Frexit
« Last post by Ashvin on Today at 02:53:51 PM »

So you agree the lines YOU draw are arbitrary, but you still continue to draw them? What material advantage do I get from refusing to blame other groups of people for my problems? None. You guys get a huge advantage from drawing the lines wherever you see fit - alleviating yourself from personal responsibility for these problems and having a convenient set of people to point the fingers at, a simple set of characters to populate your "capitalism is bad" ideological narratives.

That's nucking futz. I have never "alleviated myself from personal responsibility for these problems" because I am directly, painfully aware that my lifestyle is, in the long view, horribly profligate of energy. That is why I have said that, although the .01 per cent are malefactors of great wealth forfeit of mercy, the bulk of environmental impacts come from the 10 per cent in this country. (I am not in the top 10 per cent according to Investopedia, but close enough for argument.

You refuse to "draw lines" because you don't like the implications and the conclusions. And the responsibilities.  Self-serving as fuck. Meanwhile, I have no illusions, and make such adjustments and preparations as I can.

How is being "painfully aware" of something taking responsibility for it? If you really believe your lifestyle is a huge problem for energy/environmental collapse, and you really prioritize those things above your own interests, and the interests of your family, then give it up. Do that before castigating Trump, the republicans, the bankers and all the rest. That would be taking responsibility.

I refuse to draw lines, because as we have already established here, the lines are completely arbitrary. I also take my human nature seriously, the shadow personality we were talking about on another thread, and know that I cannot be trusted to draw the lines justly. The people who are eager to draw lines are the ones who are drawing them for either self-serving or nihilistic reasons.
« Last post by RE on Today at 02:43:04 PM »
How much do you need to maintain your lifestyle every year?

RE

Maybe $100k/yr.

I rest my case.

RE
« Last post by Ashvin on Today at 02:39:45 PM »
How much do you need to maintain your lifestyle every year?

RE

Maybe $100k/yr.
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 02:38:53 PM »

So you agree the lines YOU draw are arbitrary, but you still continue to draw them? What material advantage do I get from refusing to blame other groups of people for my problems? None. You guys get a huge advantage from drawing the lines wherever you see fit - alleviating yourself from personal responsibility for these problems and having a convenient set of people to point the fingers at, a simple set of characters to populate your "capitalism is bad" ideological narratives.

That's nucking futz. I have never "alleviated myself from personal responsibility for these problems" because I am directly, painfully aware that my lifestyle is, in the long view, horribly profligate of energy. That is why I have said that, although the .01 per cent are malefactors of great wealth forfeit of mercy, the bulk of environmental impacts come from the 10 per cent in this country. (I am not in the top 10 per cent according to Investopedia, but close enough for argument.

You refuse to "draw lines" because you don't like the implications and the conclusions. And the responsibilities.  Self-serving as fuck. Meanwhile, I have no illusions, and make such adjustments and preparations as I can.
Surly Newz / Re: The Daily Meme
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 02:30:18 PM »
This morning I was joking with a friend that the Q cultists would claim "smocking" was a secret message.

I should have known it would happen.

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
Surly Newz / Re: Doomstead Diner Daily
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 02:28:38 PM »
I wasn't griping at you for posting it. It's just the typical kind of thing I read, still, even though it's pretty obvious all these fast collapse gurus are full of shit.

Not even in Argentina did anybody need night vision goggles. Sure, people need to take their scarce resources and spend thousands of dollars on military technology...to protect themselves against...what exactly?

Food is still what people need to worry about. Food, clean water, a way to keep warm at night.

Makes you wonder why Ferfal did it.

My own preps would run to potatoes.
Blogger for sale?
Surly Newz / Re: Doomstead Diner Daily
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 01:09:00 PM »
I wasn't griping at you for posting it. It's just the typical kind of thing I read, still, even though it's pretty obvious all these fast collapse gurus are full of shit.

Not even in Argentina did anybody need night vision goggles. Sure, people need to take their scarce resources and spend thousands of dollars on military technology...to protect themselves against...what exactly?

Food is still what people need to worry about. Food, clean water, a way to keep warm at night.
« Last post by Ashvin on Today at 12:31:27 PM »
you would rather focus on the present than 30 years ago because this happens to be the time when you aren't earning and spending much money.

The past is history.  I live in the present, and so do you.

RE

So because you were fucking up the planet before I was born, that gets you off the hook?

No, I am "on the hook" also, although over my lifespan my large expenditures of money & energy were fairly short lived, lasting basically through my early 20s.  I also was unaware of these connections back then, you are aware of them now.  For the last 30 years, I have lived a very money & energy frugal lifestyle.  I can and do get by on less than $20K/year, and actually live quite well at this level.  How much do you need to maintain your lifestyle every year?

RE

But you were doing this at a time when things weren't so bad they couldn't be reversed. Any changes to my lifestyle may be too late to make a difference.

Anyway, you admit you are on the hook also. All the buts and althoughs dont matter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10