Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
https://www.nola.com/news/2018/11/watch-flames-flare-as-firefighters-demonstrate-the-wrong-way-to-fry-a-thanksgiving-turkey.html

Watch flames flare as firefighters demonstrate the wrong way to fry a Thanksgiving turkey
Updated Nov 17, 11:52 AM; Posted Nov 17, 11:52 AM

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dQYRW2KSfs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8dQYRW2KSfs</a>
St. Tammany Fire Department turkey frying demonstration

By Hanna Krueger, NOLA.com | Times-Picayune

Times-Picayune

Neither firefighters nor a hopeful turkey wants unchecked flames to ruin the Thanksgiving holiday. So in an effort to show the dangers of improper turkey frying, St. Tammany Fire Protection District No. 1 fried its own bird Saturday morning (Nov. 17) outside one of its fire stations.

Video from the demonstration shows a suited-up firefighter using a pole to submerge a turkey into a fryer vat containing too much cooking oil. The flames grow rapidly when the turkey is placed into the pot and the oil overflows.

Firefighters urged turkey fryers to follow these tips:

Use a thermometer to avoid overheating the oil.
    Do not overfill the pot with oil.
    Make sure the turkey is fully defrosted.
    Ensure the pot is on a flat, non-combustible surface.
    Never fry a turkey indoors or under a covered structure.

It created more unwanted consequences than I care to mention.

The "unwanted consequences" were that dentists would make less money.  The ADA didn't like that idea.

RE
Geopolitics / Re: 🍞 Texas Toast
« Last post by RE on Today at 09:24:45 AM »
No wonder commies can't get any traction.

Commies get plenty of traction.  Just not with rich people.  Fortunately, there are many more poor people.

RE
Geopolitics / Re: 🍞 Texas Toast
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 09:12:01 AM »
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/11/09/texas-politics-and-religion-good-and-evil-in-the-world-today/

TEXAS: POLITICS AND RELIGION, GOOD AND EVIL IN THE WORLD TODAY
November 9, 2018 Patrice de Bergeracpas

HELP ENLIGHTEN YOUR FELLOWS. BE SURE TO PASS THIS ON. SURVIVAL DEPENDS ON IT.

By Joaquin Flores, Fort Russ News | OpEds

“No one can earn a billion dollars. That amount can only be stolen or swindled. No one can work so hard or be so brilliant that they could possibly earn such a sum. And it must be understood and remembered that a billion is one thousand million, and most billionaires are multi-billionaires…”

When I look back on twenty years of political activism in the USA and more recently in Donbass, I must admit I sometimes wonder if it was worth it. I ask myself if I have actually done any good. “Good”, both in the moral sense and as well as whether I’ve been effective. Whether I’ve done my share, made any actual difference. We all have a part to play, something that we can do. The question is whether we do what we can, or don’t. Einstein said that the answers to all the world’s problems lie in the space between what people do and what they could do, if they chose to, if they made the effort, took action instead of just talking about the world’s problems, or worse, ignoring them.

But of course, if you take the responsibility, the risk, of taking action, you must be sure it is for the right cause. This brings up the question of good and evil. You have to know what they are to know which side you’re on.  So, let’s start by defining both “Good” and “Evil”, as moral, philosophic and materialistic concepts. Should we start with Good or Evil? As Anton Chigurh might say, “Let’s flip for it.”  I did. It came up tails. Evil.

Chigurh (Javier Bardem) offering his lapidary coin toss to a hapless storekeeper.

Many people say that money is the root of all evil. They are ignorant, (and we’ll get to that) aping the words of others, clueless as to the real quote, where it came from, or what it really means. The real quote is from the Bible, First Timothy 6:10, and it says “The love of money is the root of all evil”, and that is what it means. Big difference.  So, how is the love of money expressed? Through greed and selfishness of course, and greed and selfishness are also symptoms of fear
Scott Peck, the brilliant psychiatrist and theologian, wrote a book, People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil, in which he gave several excellent definitions of what evil really is. The first and most concise is simply “militant ignorance”. Think about that for a moment, let it sink in. And ask yourself if there is a better, more all encompassing description than that for the USA in the 21st Century.  It is the definition of evil. There are other definitions and  indices of evil in his book, all of which are instructive. The title itself defines evil – “The People of the Lie”. Is there a representative of the US government over the last 30 years for whom this title does not apply? The Bible, in John 8:44 describes the Devil, saying, “When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar, and the father of lies.” Peck further defines evil as “a willingness to impose suffering on others, in order to avoid one’s own spiritual growth.” Again hauntingly familiar, a definition I am sure that the millions of suffering victims of the USA’s 21st Century wars of aggression would readily agree with.
The modern history of the USA is one big lie. From the Warren Commission to 9/11, from Iraqi WMD’s to Syrian chemical weapons, lies are the currency of the US government. And the worst kind of lies are self-deceptions, which allow people to continue to do evil, while pretending to themselves that they are good. The murder of Gaddafi and the destruction of Libya, under the excuse of Right-to-Protect (“R2P”) is a perfect example. The “protection” that the US and NATO provided to Libya has led directly to an estimated minimum of 150,000 people in Libya, and a potential maximum of 360,000, with the mean average estimated at 250,000 people “protected” to death in Libya in the last 8 years. Under self righteous but demonstrably false premises. The same false premises have cost the lives of 2.4 million people in Iraq (NOT counting the 500,000 children killed by sanctions before the  2003 invasion, which Madeline Albright said were “worth it”.)  Over a million are estimated to have been killed by US/NATO in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and the death toll of the US instigated civil war against the legitimate government of Syria is estimated at 511,000 as of March 2018, and the toll continues to climb. These illegitimate wars of aggression, started by the USA and their lackeys have killed over 4 million human beings in less than a decade, and these wars continue today, based on the same lies with which they were started. The people of the lie, indeed…
So, let’s begin our definition of evil by agreeing that those who commit, facilitate, allow or ignore the murder of millions of human beings [are enabling] genuine evil. They are evil.

Hannah Arendt’s book, Eichmann in Jerusalem : A Report on the Banality of Evil, also offers useful definitions and insights into what evil really is. She came away from Eichmann’s trial struck by the banality, the stupidity, the utterly unremarkable and unoriginal character of a man who was also a willing functionary in a regime that was guilty in the mass murder of millions of people whose only “crime” was allowing themselves to be victims.  We can see the same banality in Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, in Boris Johnson and Teresa May, in Petro Poroshenko and Benjamin Netanyahu. Their pseudo intellect and their pseudo humanity. Another telltale sign of evil is cowardice – most of the leading German nazis chose suicide, and even murdered their entire families, rather than face justice and try to justify to the world what they were and what they had done. Or perhaps, it would be better to say that evil is a symptom of fear. It is, after all, far more difficult to be good than to be evil, especially in the world today, though perhaps it has always been thus.

Televangelist Joel Oteen—a multimillionaire many times over—preaching at his Lakewood Church, the largest church in Texas. As an exploiter of religiosity and charlatanism, he represents a pernicious social and psychological fungus deeply embedded in America’s cultural fabric.

Greed and stinginess are also symptoms of fear, and the ultimate goal of Capitalism can honestly be described in the vile maxim “All for me, and none for anybody else.” In the USA today, the ultimate perversion of true Christianity is practiced by millions of affluent citizens under the contemptible name of “Prosperity Gospel”. They say that they are rich because they are rewarded by God for being good, and poor people are poor because they are punished by God for their evil ways. This, of course, is the exact opposite of the true Gospel of Jesus, such as Matthew 19:24, ” Indeed, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”  And Matthew 1:29, ” “If you want to be perfect, go sell everything you own! Give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven.”   When it comes to riches, it was the Devil who “took Jesus on a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the Earth, and all their riches, and said, “All this I will give to you if you will but fall down and worship me.” Matthew 4:8. Among the venal scum who preach this false religion, giving to the poor is not a priority.

Self-made capitalist and televangelist success
Paula White. Trump’s favorite pastor.

They live in multi-million dollar mansions, own private jets and luxury cars and build “mega-churches” the size of sports stadiums, as opulent as any Roman colosseum. “Pastrix” Paula White even gave multi-millionaire ($147 million) “Bishop” T. D. Jakes a $200,000 Bentley convertible for his 50th birthday. The top 10 richest “pastors” in the world live in the USA, or Nigeria. These scum spend millions on their own obscenely extravagant lifestyles, while giving a tiny fraction of their proceeds to the poor. They are paid by the Devil that they worship.
Bono’s ONE Foundation is another glaring example – Though his own net worth is close to $700 million, he started the ONE Foundation to “raise awareness” of extreme poverty in Africa and elsewhere. The foundation raised over $11 million in 2008, and gave less than 2% to actual programs to help the poor. The rest went to the already obscenely rich Bono and his yuppie underlings.  Of course, centi-millionaire Bono’s fraud is chump change compared to the Clinton Foundation, “a charity fraud of epic proportions”.   The Clinton Foundation entities are part of a network that has defrauded donors and created illegal private gains of approximately $100 billion in combined magnitude, and possibly more, since 23 October 1997.”  Remember the quote about the love of money? It is the root of all evil. These phony preachers, these fake progressives, they love their money, are willing to steal food from starving children to buy their mansions and private jets, these паразиты, these parasites, are truly evil.
There is an old canard, sometimes taught in 3rd rate ethics or philosophy classes that asks, “Is it wrong for a man to steal medicine for his dying wife if he cannot afford to buy it?”  What a ridiculous question. The answer is so obvious to any decent human being – “No, it is wrong for there to be medicine that is unaffordable to people who need it.”

So, what is “good”?

As a Communist, my interpretation of what is right and good is that which is the greatest good for the greatest number of people, and by “good”, I mean that which promotes the health and happiness, that which ensures the basic necessities of life and the opportunity for each individual to fulfill their human potential to the greatest degree. As I see it, to the extent that someone’s actions diminish or interfere with this, they cannot be good. To the extent that they impose unnecessary suffering on others, they are evil. Every billionaire on this planet is evil. Their love of money has led them to amass unearned and unjustifiable fortunes without any consideration of others. No one can earn a billion dollars. That amount can only be stolen or swindled. No one can work so hard or be so brilliant that they could possibly earn such a sum. And it must be understood and remembered that a billion is one thousand million, and most billionaires are multi-billionaires, they have multi thousand millions. And yet children on this planet still starve, millions live without even the most basic requirements of life. There can be no moral justification for this.
Other than a belief in God and an afterlife to be determined by what we do in this one, the broader definition of “religion” is a belief in something greater than one’s self, and a moral code that reflects that belief. I am an Orthodox Christian, and I do believe in God and an afterlife, but whether God exists or whether there is life after this one or not, either way, the definition of “good” remains the same. “The greatest good for the greatest number of people.”  Certainly, this would be the right way to earn the approval of God and a good place in the afterlife, but even if this life is all we have, we should still work for the same goal – we must make it as good and fulfilling as possible for ourselves and for all who share this short cosmic miracle of life with us. After all, we are all in this together. So, religion is the moral code by which we judge good and evil, ourselves and others, and politics is the method we use to realize our ideals. Thus politics and religion are inextricably intertwined.
Von Clauswitz famously said, “War is not an independent phenomenon, it is the continuation of politics carried out by different means.” So, if war is politics carried out by different means, then politics is war carried out by different means. And make no mistake, our world is at war, the final war, Armageddon, the final conflict between good and evil, life and death. This war has the very real potential to annihilate not only all human life but also the very biosphere, all complex life on our planet. We are here, now, to choose our side and do our part in this war. We all have a part to play, and we all choose our side. Neutrality is not an option. Indifference is not an option. Evil is winning, death is winning, and all those who do nothing are on that side.
The open warfare in Donbass and Syria are only the most obvious flashpoints in this global war between good and evil, life and death. And every choice we make, our every act or failure to act, effects this war and its ultimate outcome. Unless we can drastically change the current trajectory of human activity, we ourselves may not see the end of Humanity, but our children will. Life is what we make it, what all of us together make it for all of us together. Evil is powerful, but it is small, and it is afraid. We can defeat it, if we choose correctly our own moral code and then live by it in real terms, come what may, if we cross that space between what we do and what we could do, we can find the answers to all the world’s problems.

Let’s go!

Message from the Fort-Russ News Editor, J. Flores : Don’t forget to check out the below link, click on the notice to pick up a copy of Texas’ excellent war diary ‘The Donbass Cowboy’

Please.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Joaquin Flores is Editor-in-Chief of Fort Russ News, as well as the Director of the Belgrade based think-tank, the Center for Syncretic Studies. Educated at California State University, Los Angeles, in the field of International Relations, he previously served as Chief Negotiator and Internal Organizer in several jurisdictions for the SEIU labor union in California. Flores has twenty years experience in community, labor, and anti-war organizing. Flores has appeared regularly on Iran’s ‘PressTV’ and Russia’s ‘RT’ news to share his expert opinion and analysis on current geopolitical matters.

“No one can earn a billion dollars. That amount can only be stolen or swindled. No one can work so hard or be so brilliant that they could possibly earn such a sum. And it must be understood and remembered that a billion is one thousand million, and most billionaires are multi-billionaires…”

Well, since it starts off with a blatant class envy lie, I doubt the rest of it has much substance either. Why even bother?

That first part is so COMPLETELY stupidly wrong and pathetically ignorant I can't be bothered to read the rest of it.

The proof of the lie is everywhere you look.  Tech has created a plethora of billionaires, and they became billionaires by figuring out ways to revolutionize the way we do things in business, by inventing cheap gadgets everyone owns and buys, and even by taking money they created from nothing by writing popular songs, and investing it.  And producing TV shows and movies.

Does the author of this piece own a smart phone?  Does he order shit using Amazon? Of course he does.

That makes him a dishonest bullshit artist, shit-talking about things he doesn't even understand. No wonder commies can't get any traction.
Frostbite Falls Newz / Re: 🔥 Frostbite Falls Fireside Chats: CRISCO!
« Last post by RE on Today at 09:11:52 AM »
Let's see. Ten open flames in a poorly ventilated, airtight space, within a couple of feet of a 40 gallon gas tank. What could possibly go wrong?

Your engine is within a couple of feet of the gas tank, burning constantly and your vehicle doesn't explode in flames.

I have burned my lanterns in the cabin of SaVANnah and no explosion, no suffocation either.  I will be running a CO detector and I of course have a fire extinguisher at the ready.  That of course is if I can work up the energy to run these tests.  Last 2 days very low energy to even go outside much less set up the experiment.

I am a Pyro 🔥 Professional.  :icon_sunny:  No worries. Trust me.  lol.

RE
Frostbite Falls Newz / Re: 🔥 Frostbite Falls Fireside Chats: CRISCO!
« Last post by Eddie on Today at 08:56:29 AM »

I have found the best source of cheap fuel for my candles!🕯️  Crisco Vegetable Shortening!  :icon_sunny:

This shit comes in really cheap, less than $1/lb not even ON SALE.  I mix it with some Bacon Fat and some Beeswax and I get a good consistency and good burning characteristics for my candles🕯️.  I can't match that price new even with motor oil!  If you buy paraffin and other candle making supplies from the hobby stores you get totally ripped off.  Food products that are mass produced come in WAY cheaper, and for the most part burn just as good.

I can get my candle🕯️ price down now to 0.04 for 4 hours, or 0.01/hr.  Cheaper if I get a hold of used cooking oil or motor oil.  I need to start raising Bees because they fucking charge you through the nose for beeswax. ::)  Beeswax isn't essential, but it does stiffen things up for a better looking candle🕯️.

I haven't had the energy the last couple of days to get out to SaVANnah and run the Heating tests, but I am going to try to work up the energy today.  I am really curious how many Candles🕯️ I will need to heat the cabin to a comfortable temperature.  I am betting it will take around 10.

RE

Let's see. Ten open flames in a poorly ventilated, airtight space, within a couple of feet of a 40 gallon gas tank. What could possibly go wrong?
"Blue Collar" vs "White Collar" is a Class distinction more than a monetary distinction.

When I graduated, TPTB had spent billions creating an oversupply of dentists, with the idea that it would drive the price of services down. They were thinking a lot like you do, that it was just a simple matter of numbers that would make things work out cheaper for the consumer. That was all based on very naive research they did in the early 60's.

It created more unwanted consequences than I care to mention. My school, built to accommodate 152 students in each class, finally gave up on that and now they graduate about a hundred. That's as many as the market could possibly support. Many schools that weren't quite as well funded (Minnesota, Colorado, several others), just closed their doors.

When I graduated in my giant class (13th of 128, btw, I was lazy then too, that never changed) interest rates were about 13% and dentists were leaving Austin in droves due to the real estate crash created by the bankster Charles Keating and his S&L crisis.

I started on a shoestring, probably less than the price of your beloved semi. Don't talk to me about class struggles.

What matters most is that independents have more control of their own destiny than people who get paychecks. I listened to a couple of old, rich architects talking at dinner one night recently, at a nearby table.

One of them was building this palace of a house, somewhere. He was going on about it in a voice I could hear very clearly. It was one of the largest single family houses ever built in the whole country. Being built by a guy with a trucking biz, that he and partner started from scratch.

In the trucking biz, you can LEVERAGE  yourself by hiring other drivers. Hard to do in dentistry, although they're finally figuring out how now, after decades of trying. The big money had to come in to make it happen. Most dentist/entrepreneur types failed at that, miserably.
Surly Newz / Doomstead Diner Daily November 18
« Last post by Surly1 on Today at 05:23:04 AM »
(NOTE: This will be the LAST edition of the DDD for about a week. Your editor will be traveling, and time and bandwidth and will be issues.)

The Doomstead Diner Daily November 18

The Diner Daily is available HERE with even MORE sections and stories:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/news/

News digest brought to you by the Doomstead Diner.

White Kansas Official’s ‘Master Race’ Comment Draws Calls for His Resignation

[url=http://www.nytimes.com]www.nytimes.com[/url] - The governor of Kansas is among several officials calling for a white county commissioner to resign after he used the term “master race” while addressing a black consultant at a public meeting this w…

Fight for House speaker explodes into national political campaign

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com]www.washingtonpost.com[/url] - By Elise Viebeck , Elise Viebeck Enterprise and investigations reporter focused on politics Email Bio Follow Mike DeBonis and Mike DeBonis Congressional reporter covering the House of Representatives…

White House working on new rules for reporters after Acosta decision, Trump says

thehill.com - “We have to practice decorum,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office. “So we're setting up a certain standard, which is what the court is requesting.” The president predicted that if journalists do…

Amy Siskind's List Week 105

theweeklylist.org - Reporting this week indicates Trump is reeling from the midterms, as additional House seats were called for Democrats, possibly leading to a 40 seat pick-up, as well as the Mueller probe, from which …

Opinion | Trump’s battle to destroy the Mueller investigation is officially doomed

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com]www.washingtonpost.com[/url] - By Paul Waldman Paul Waldman Opinion writer covering politics Email Bio Follow Opinion writer November 16 at 2:26 PM President Trump’s long struggle to destroy Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation i…

In Mississippi, Republican concern rises over a U.S. Senate runoff that should have been a romp

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com]www.washingtonpost.com[/url] - By Matt Viser Matt Viser National political reporter Email Bio Follow November 17 at 1:25 PM JACKSON, Miss. — A U.S. Senate runoff that was supposed to provide an easy Republican win has turned into …

On the march against racism and fascism

socialistworker.co.uk - Campaigners, Labour Party members, and trade unions were all on the streets Brazilian activists came after the election of Jair Bolsonaro Trade unions are important in the battle against racism and f…

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker Hit With Supreme Court Challenge

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com]www.huffingtonpost.com[/url] - President Donald Trump’s appointment of Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general was challenged Friday in a surprise motion calling on the Supreme Court to substitute Deputy Attorney General Rod R…

Questioning Pence's Loyalty, Trump Disturbs Advisers

[url=http://www.nationalmemo.com]www.nationalmemo.com[/url] - Despite publicly asking Vice President Mike Pence last week to be his running mate in 2020, President Donald Trump is secretly harboring doubts about the man first in line to the Oval Office, accordi…

George Conway: Republican Party has become a 'personality cult' under Trump

[url=http://www.yahoo.com]www.yahoo.com[/url] - WASHINGTON — George T. Conway III, the husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, said the Republican Party has become “a personality cult” under President Trump and that he would “move to Au…

New Evidence Emerges of Steve Bannon and Cambridge Analytica’s Role in Brexit

[url=http://www.newyorker.com]www.newyorker.com[/url] - For two years, observers have speculated that the June, 2016, Brexit campaign in the U.K. served as a petri dish for Donald Trump’s Presidential campaign in the United States. Now there is new eviden…

We Are So Screwed: Study Warns Of 5 Degree Celsius Warming By 2100

cleantechnica.com - Published on November 16th, 2018 | by Steve Hanley November 16th, 2018 by Steve Hanley Time to stop pretending. The human race has conspired to exterminate itself, at least on this planet. According …

These Activists Blocked Migrant Deportations. Now They Face Life Imprisonment in the U.K.

theintercept.com - It was mid-afternoon on November 5 by the time Benjamin Smoke took the witness stand in a courthouse in Chelmsford, a small city about 30 miles northeast of London that voted for the United Kingdom t…

France’s climate change commitments trigger rising diesel prices and street protests – Protester killed when driver is panicked by demonstrators

[url=http://www.desdemonadespair.net]www.desdemonadespair.net[/url] - By James McAuley 17 November 2018 PARIS (The Washington Post) – The French president is under fire again, this time over rising fuel prices. On Saturday, some 244,000 protesters, many clad in yellow …

World's Largest Organism Faces Bleak Future

World's Largest Organism Faces Bleak Future

[url=http://www.scientificamerican.com]www.scientificamerican.com[/url] - It lives in south-central Utah. And it’s huge. In fact, it is thought to be the largest living thing on the planet. It’s a stand of trees, a field of aspens all clones and all connected at the roots.…

The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival - The Organic Prepper

[url=http://www.theorganicprepper.com]www.theorganicprepper.com[/url] - A while back, I asked Selco to send me a copy of everything he’d ever written so that I could pull together a reality check for the rest of us. What I wasn’t expecting was that over the years, he’s w…

'He can kiss my red ass': California fire evacuees give Trump visit short shrift

Image result for He can kiss my red ass': California fire evacuees give Trump visit short shrift

[url=http://www.theguardian.com]www.theguardian.com[/url] - As Donald Trump landed in northern California on Saturday morning, hundreds of evacuees at a Walmart in Chico were frantically trying to figure out their next steps – which shelter they would go to, …

Subscribe to the Email Newsletter

Editor's note

The Doomstead Diner is a hub for discussion and information pertaining to the ongoing Economic Collapse of the Industrial Economy. The Diner is the result of many years of discussion and debate on many other forums. At Doomstead Diner, our goal is to collate much of the information we can to assist in planning for the world to come.

The answer to what flavor of bullshit they will choose, chocolate or vanilla, will be picked on what helps them out the most.  Trump promises bull and the Dems don't promise anything but a rainbow.  A rainbow that really does not mean anything to anybody and only pisses people off.  People will go for the bull.  It is a no-brainer and that's the point.  Without anything to compare it to people don't know it's bull.

Uhhh... I would demur. Americans love rainbows and vague, rosy scenarios.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fa8Qupc4PnQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fa8Qupc4PnQ</a>

Today for another real Pig Out consumption of food on Thanksgiving Week, the Diner Chefs are cooking up the world's largest Omelette 🍳.  Pay one price for as many eggs🍳 as you can eat.

Today's Diner Sunday Brunch Special

The BIG Omelette🍳
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10