AuthorTopic: Cool Bugout Equipment  (Read 11145 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Cool Bugout Equipment
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
While I was looking for a Pic to use as the Feature Image for the Hierarchy of Bugout Plans article, I came up with a few cool items you might consider for your Bugout package.

The Sea Kayak pic I used is one.

If you are Coastal or near a Navigable River, you can go mighty far in a Sea Kayak, and probably carry enough preps for at least a couple of months.  Sea Kayaks also come in Folding Versions that are easier to transport around than the Fiberglass versions.

These Kayaks are direct descendants of Inuit Kayaks that were made from Bone frames and sealskin  hull surfacing.
You can even get Trimaran Sailing Rigs to fit onto these Kayaks

On Land, there are some really cool Bicycle Trailer combos possible.

Here is an Electric-Recumbent combo that is very efficient

The Trailer also can be a Mini-RV in itself

Nice thing here is it keeps your Tent off the ground and sets up and folds down with no stakes necessary.

If you are working with a Partner, you can pull a lot more also with a tandem bike

Recumbents are the more efficient style of Bike over the road and also more comfortable.  Better choice for your Human Powered Bugout Machine.  Off-Road though, traditional style BMX Bikes are probably better.

Readers are welcome here to submit their own finds as far as good Bugout Equipment is concerned.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Cool Bugout Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
Here is an interesting thread you started over at Yahoo which touches on equipment:

Batman Utility Belts and the Last Bugout Package
RE: Those of you who have been members here for a while know my penchant for creating different types of "Bugout Packages".  The one I most focus on is the Motorized one, which uses a Car at minimum or preferably an RV as a relatively self contained vehicle you can use to take most of what you need away from a really bad situation in a hurry and do OK, until you have to abandon the idea of moving the vehicle because Gas is no longer available.  At this time though, the vehicle may still be useful as a form of shelter for a while even once you can no longer move it around.
Today I am going to discuss a smaller Bugout Package, really the last one where you Carry some tools to help your survival if you have to leave the Bugout Machine and pretty much are Hoofing it.  I'm dropping below the stage of using a Bicycle and trailer here to just what you can carry on your person, and how to carry it.  I'm in the process now myself of putting together this Final Bugout Package.
I'm working this one up from the Ground Up.  IOW, each thing I describe is the FIRST thing you carry or wear when you have to make the Last Bugout, up to the point where its just possible to carry no more without at least say a Hand Cart or Wheely Bag.
First on the list is your Clothing. Your Final Bugout Clothing is underwear of short sleeve t-shirt and jockey shorts (panties/sports bra for females), Cargo Pants and Long Sleeve Collar Work shirt with Pockets.  More Pockets you have the better. Hunting Vest over the shirt with still more Pockets.  "Western" or Aussie style Hat with Brim.  Strong Leather Belt.  Solid Hiking Boots.  Unlined Water Repellant Jacket with still more pockets.  In your Backpack also you carry a Down or Polymer Hollowfil Vest to wear under the Jacket when its cold, as well as long underwear. Extra pair of underwear and socks also.  Gloves and a Balaclava also if you are in a neighborhood with freezing temps.  Even if you cannot insulate fully, you want to have clothing that covers all areas of exposed skin.  This will minimize potential for Frostbite.
Now that you are well Clothed, you want to have some good Tools to use, this is the Batman Utility Belt Stuff.  If you go to Home Depot of as I did today Alaska Industrial Hardware (AIH) you can pick up a carrier that will attach to your normal Belt with lots of Pockets for Tools.  They can be outrageously large, you don't need the biggest ones though, you are NOT going to need to Holster a Power Drill here.
I am Left Handed.  On my Left Side, I have only one Tool, a .50 Cal Smith & Wesson Revolver. It can drop a Grizzly no problem.  Of course, when I fire it off, it practically takes my hand off and I am not real accurate with it past 20 yards or so. I'll only carry said Gun though as long as I have Ammo for it.  After the Ammo runs out, I will dump the Gun in favor of the Bowie Knife which is also on the Utility Belt, just around the back left hand side right now.  I have to reach around to pull that out on my left back side.
On my Right Hand Side I have the Tool Pouch I bought today at AIH. It has a Loop for a Hammer, which I am using now for my Fast Hatchet, a light weight Hand Axe.  It has a few Pockets where I have deposited now some smaller tools like a Swiss army Knife and Leatherman Pliers and currently the Firemaking Tools of a couple of Bic Lighters along with a Magnesium Bar.  I haven't yet bought one of those Fire Piston fire starters Peter introduced here a while back. In this Pocket also is some fishing line and hooks.  I also have a Crank Up Flashlight in the Big pocket right now. Around the back on my right hand side I have a Fold Up Camping Saw.  Finally, I have Carabiner at the far back to attach a small water bottle to.
In the Pockets of my Cargo Pants so far I have placed a Foil Emergency Blanket, Waterproof firestarters and vaccuum sealed bundles of Nuts, Vitamins and Beef Jerky good for probably a week or two.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Most Often Forgotten Survival Preparations
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:32 AM »
Excellent Bugout Prep Article from Brandon Smith from Alt-Market.  Been stewing in the queue for a few days because of lots of other GREAT STUFF on the Diner Blog over the weekend.

The Most Often Forgotten Survival Preparations now UP on the Diner Blog.

RE
Save As Many As You Can