AuthorTopic: Martin-Zimmerman Case File  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Martin-Zimmerman Case File
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
Written this morning by Charles Pierce, who always it better.
As T.S. Eliot said of Ezra Pound in his dedication of The Waste Land, "il miglior fabbro."

What George Zimmerman Can Do Now

By Charles P. Pierce at 7:45AM

Calm is prevailing. For now. At least, that's something.

However, in theory, at least, here is what is now possible. Some night very soon, if he so chooses, George Zimmerman can load his piece, tuck it into the back of his pants, climb into his SUV, and drive around Sanford, Florida looking for assholes and fucking punks who are walking through neighborhoods where he, George Zimmerman, defender of law and order, doesn't think they belong. He can drive around Sanford, Florida and check out anyone who is dressed in such a manner as might frighten the average citizen who has been fed a daily diet of "Scary Black Kids" by their local news and by their favorite radio personalities, and who is dressed in such a manner as might seem inappropriate to their surroundings as determined by George Zimmerman, crimebuster. He can drive around Sanford, Florida until he spots an asshole or a fucking punk and then he can get out of his SUV, his piece tucked into the back of his pants, and he can stalk the asshole or the fucking punk, the one who is in the wrong neighborhood, or who is dressed inappropriately, at least according to George Zimmerman, protector of peace. If the asshole, or the fucking punk, turns around and objects to being stalked -- or, worse, if the asshole, or the fucking punk, decides physically to confront the person stalking him -- then George Zimmerman can whip out the piece from the back of his pants and shoot the asshole, or the fucking punk, dead right there on the spot. This can happen tonight. That is now possible. Hunting licenses are now available and it's open season on assholes, fucking punks, and kids who wear hoodies at night in neighborhoods where they do not belong, at least according to George Zimmerman, defender of law and order, crimebuster, and protector of the peace, because that is what American society has told George Zimmerman, and all the rest of us, is the just outcome of what happened on one dark and rainy night in February of 2012.

The judgment, when it finally came, was a dull and predictable thing. Pictures of Trayvon Martin showing off on his Facebook page trumped pictures of him on the ground, blank-staring at the night sky, a hollow point through his chest, the way so many of us hoped they wouldn't, but suspected they would. It was hard at that moment, when the jury gave George Zimmerman back his gun, to remember that this trial wasn't supposed to happen at all. The Sanford P.D. was ready to hand Zimmerman back his gun with a fast shuffle until people got into the streets and suggested, loudly, that maybe the circumstances required another look. This is something that should be remembered now by all those sharp guys who talk about how the evidence cut both ways, and about how the prosecution overcharged the defendant, and about how well the defense mounted its case. There wasn't supposed to be a trial at all. In theory, George Zimmerman could have been back, standing his post, watching for assholes and fucking punks, the very next night, according to the original assessment made by local law enforcement. Instead, people who filled George Zimmerman's fevered definition of assholes and fucking punks roamed free, wearing their hoodies at will. The gated communities of Sanford have had to do without his watchful eye, and his ready aim, for longer than the Sanford police thought was suitable a year ago. I am glad the gated communities managed to survive the siege.

Thought experiments are useless now. Of course, if the races of the two participants were reversed, Trayvon Martin already would have been doing time. Of course, black kids have to walk through a world in which how they're dressed is evidence against them, and how they behave when profiled by sanctioned (and manifestly incompetent) quasi-vigilantes is different from how all the rest of us are entitled to behave. They are prima facie assholes and fucking punks. Of course, black kids can't win fights without getting shot through the chest. They are supposed to act very politely, speak when spoken to and, maybe, just get off the sidewalk when they come in contact with people like George Zimmerman, who is out on that wall because we want him on that wall. We need him on that wall.

And, of course, this was not about race because nothing is ever about race. The prosecutors even told us that it wasn't about race. The defense won its case because this was not about race. The sharp guys and pundits will spend all weekend explaining how race was an element of the events that night, but that the case, ultimately, was not about race. And because this case was not about race, nothing out of our history counts, because our history, here in the land of the free, is not about race, either. Because our history is not about race, a few weeks ago, when the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act, what happened on the Edmund Pettus Bridge was not relevant. Because our history is not about race, last night, Emmett Till was not relevant, even though a few people inconveniently brought him up. But that was years ago, and the country has changed, and it is John Roberts' Day Of Jubilee, and this trial was not about race because nothing is about race any more.

Calm is prevailing. For now. At least, that's something. There will be much for George Zimmerman to do. Things may be a little rough back home, but there will be the victory tour on Fox. And the inevitable book deal. There will be the long career as a hero to the people in the communities that feel themselves besieged by assholes and fucking punks in their hoodies. There will be a long, lovely ride surfing the strange and wonderful celebrity that will befall him now because he stood up to the people who defend the rights of asshoes and fucking punks to walk in their hoodies through neighborhoods where they don't belong, according to him, George Zimmerman, American hero.

But, sooner or later, what American society has told him he can do, what it has now made possible, is that George Zimmerman can load his piece, tuck it into the back of his pants, climb into his SUV, and cruise the rainy streets of Sanford in the night, all of his senses a'tingle, all his instincts honed, on the lookout with his hunter's eye for assholes and fucking punks. There's one down the block. What the hell's he doing here? Asshole. Fucking punk. Better pull over and check this out.

Nothing good has come of this whole situation. Nothing.

And the last word, as it so often does in situations like this, belongs to John Dos Passos.

All right we are two nations.
"We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." -  Louis Brandeis

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Martin-Zimmerman Case File
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
Quote from: Charlie Pierce

However, in theory, at least, here is what is now possible. Some night very soon, if he so chooses, George Zimmerman can load his piece, tuck it into the back of his pants, climb into his SUV, and drive around Sanford, Florida looking for assholes and fucking punks who are walking through neighborhoods where he, George Zimmerman, defender of law and order, doesn't think they belong.

Life imitates Art.  Think "Death Wish".

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
An hysterical article from Mr Pierce, who I mostly admire. As bad as the other side, Coulter and Fox and Friends etc. Pictures of Trayvon? Most of the pics I saw of Trayvon were of a smiling pre-pubescent, like G-man Zimmerman shot down a 13 year old, not the aspiring thug 17 year old.

I never thought of this case as anything bad a sad case of two young men trying to be manly in a way very much defined as ideal, archetypal, by the hideously violent culture they inhabit. Zimmerman, the gun toting wannabe law enforcement muscle thug, Trayvon gold toothed tattooed tough guy. Like in a movie, meeting on a fateful rainy night.

Now, both touchstones for a country divided, preyed upon by TPTB and their media while TPTB LOOT IT, and pollute it beyond redemption for Right or Left, gun toting hyper individualist fuck the earth exploiters in one fist, total control government lovers of totalitarian fuck the earth in the other fist; whatever, hands coming together, SMACK, in the direction of internal WAR, while their bloody, miserable scum bag government and corporations conspire to unleash para-military contractors upon ALL THE WORLD. Fucking stupid. RIP Trayvon Martin. You too G-man Zimmerman, whenever some other douche-bag decides he's going to become the LAW.

:icon_scratch:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
An hysterical article from Mr Pierce, who I mostly admire. As bad as the other side, Coulter and Fox and Friends etc. Pictures of Trayvon? Most of the pics I saw of Trayvon were of a smiling pre-pubescent, like G-man Zimmerman shot down a 13 year old, not the aspiring thug 17 year old.

I never thought of this case as anything bad a sad case of two young men trying to be manly in a way very much defined as ideal, archetypal, by the hideously violent culture they inhabit. Zimmerman, the gun toting wannabe law enforcement muscle thug, Trayvon gold toothed tattooed tough guy. Like in a movie, meeting on a fateful rainy night.

Now, both touchstones for a country divided, preyed upon by TPTB and their media while TPTB LOOT IT, and pollute it beyond redemption for Right or Left, gun toting hyper individualist fuck the earth exploiters in one fist, total control government lovers of totalitarian fuck the earth in the other fist; whatever, hands coming together, SMACK, in the direction of internal WAR, while their bloody, miserable scum bag government and corporations conspire to unleash para-military contractors upon ALL THE WORLD. Fucking stupid. RIP Trayvon Martin. You too G-man Zimmerman, whenever some other douche-bag decides he's going to become the LAW.

That was quite a posting Duncan. Might I suggest a more lengthy article on the theme. This version elongated or not belongs on the Diner Front page Blog in my opinion, and would like to request it be posted there.  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:
Golden Oxen

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »

That was quite a posting Duncan. Might I suggest a more lengthy article on the theme. This version elongated or not belongs on the Diner Front page Blog in my opinion, and would like to request it be posted there.  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

Thanks, GO. But no thanks; don't much care to put a target on either side of me. Haven't followed this case much at all, and don't care that much. There are black cap raspberries to pick for wine. There are garden beds to weed. There are pollinators to keep an eye out for.

But then...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:40 AM »

I also think this would be a good one for the Blog, fleshed out a bit.  We don't DO short on the Diner Blog.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »

Thanks, GO. But no thanks; don't much care to put a target on either side of me. Haven't followed this case much at all, and don't care that much. There are black cap raspberries to pick for wine. There are garden beds to weed. There are pollinators to keep an eye out for.

But then...

FWIW, posted today on FB by William Rivers Pitt:

A tweet from Alex Fraser regarding the Zimmerman judgment:

===

Dear George Zimmerman,

For the rest of your life you are going to feel what its like to be a black man in America.

You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you feel are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something that you feel is outside your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose not to see that.

People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you will want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on a firm look and push through life.

I bet you never thought that by shooting a black male you'd end up inheriting all his struggles.

Enjoy your 'freedom'.

Sincerely,

A black male who could have been Trayvon Martin
"We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." -  Louis Brandeis

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
I do not believe that it is consistent with what we do on the Diner, which is to share information and experiences, to recognize patterns, and to prepare for the coming maelstorm, to successfully ignore the consequences of what has occurred in Sanford, FL.

Much bigger than the details of the case. And with a potent hold on the personal safety of each of us.

Our Vigilante Nation
By Charles P. Pierce at 11:15AM
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Vigilante_Nation

Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images

(Optional Musical Accompaniment To This Post)

Besides race, which it was not about because nothing is ever about race, the verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman was not about guns, either. Specifically, it was not about the propaganda of the gun culture by which we are all one small step away from being devoured as a society by criminal (coughblackcough) hordes and the only thing standing between society and the abyss is an armed citizenry. Specifically, it was not about the propaganda of the gun culture that sends a George Zimmerman, a pathetic, trigger-happy wannabe cop, out there in public, free to choose to make sidewalk judgments about who belongs where and why, and to back those judgments up with lethal force if it turns out he made a mistake. Specifically, it is not about the propaganda of the gun culture that trafficks in fear and that presents as its only solution deadly weaponry. No, of course, it was not about that, either.

We live now in a vigilante culture. Our police forces are militarized and increasingly prone to rogue operations in which innocent people get killed. (Radley Balko has written an extremely important book about this phenomenon, which shows no signs of slowing down. Why in hell does the Fargo P.D. need a fking tank, anyway? Are the moose getting bigger these days?) They are being encouraged to employ what can only be called vigilante tactics under the color of official authority. You want to push the definition of the word, and there's a helluva lot to our foreign policy that edges on vigilantism, too. The national legislature has broken down utterly because of the polite vigilantism of a political minority in the Senate -- The debt ceiling was "a hostage worth taking," said Mitch McConnell, and meant it -- and because of the legislative vigilantism of an obdurate House Of Representatives.

On the streets, we are being trained paradoxically to both submit to the authority of the police, and to take the law into our own hands, if necessary, because the police cannot possibly protect us from every danger. Stand Your Ground, though it played no role in the Zimmerman trial per se, is vigilantism hallowed by legislation. That's all it is. This does nothing but produce a national schizophrenia about crime and fear and weaponry that we inevitably act out. If there really were a national background check for mental stability before you could buy a gun, I'm not sure American Society could pass one.

And now, there will be marches and demonstrations in reaction to the verdict. One already has taken place in L.A.

Over 100 LAPD officers fired "less-than-lethal" rounds to clear what authorities described as an unlawful assembly of about 80 people, according to the Times. The protesters condemned the acquittal of Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin, carrying signs reading "We are All Trayvon Martin" and chanting "No Justice, No Peace."   

I'm sure every rubber bullet was justified.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »

Off the keyboard of William Hunter Duncan

Published originally here @ the Doomstead Diner, July 15, 2013

Discuss this article in the Forum

I did not follow the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case very closely, except checking in occasionally, to take a gauge of American crazy. I did not even realize until the last few weeks, the degree to which the media had proliferated the spectacle of it. As time went on, I met more and more people who were transfixed, consumed by the menagerie. As though some dark magician were behind the scene, weaving the narrative web, catching victims regardless their political stance or socio-economic status, devouring them all, sucking out the soul, unbeknownest to the paralyzed victim. LOL. It don’t care to have my soul sucked, which is why I don’t have cable. Soul-sucking being de rigueur these days, whatever your media poison.

Whatever. This case was never anything to me but two young men attempting to model manliness, ideal or archetypal, as defined by the hideously violent culture they inhabit. As I said in the comments section of the Doomstead Diner :

“Zimmerman, the gun toting wannabe law enforcement muscle thug, Trayvon gold toothed tattooed tough guy. Like in a movie, meeting on a fateful, rainy night.”

Was deadly force necessary? I’ll let you know, the next time someone is bashing my head against the concrete. I would expect if there were anything on my mind at such a time, it would not be “I wonder if this will result in death or traumatic brain injury,” but rather, I might act from a deeper, more primal, unconscious place. Not carrying a gun, I have no fear of shooting anyone and becoming a touchstone for my culture to jerk off too with their fantasies about what Justice looks like. Nor do I necessarily worry about having my head bashed into the concrete, insofar as I mostly just garden and ride my bike, pick berries and build stuff. I don’t look or act like anybodies oppressor, or this culture’s definition of what a man looks like. Though honestly I have wondered if some black dude strung out on spectacle might take a potshot at me sitting in my house by the window or riding my bike, no thanks to my Liberal friends, or say, the HuffPost.

Huffpost’s favored image of the adolescent Trayvon

Of course it is very much true that if you are a poor or “ghetto” black man, you aren’t going to win many “stand your ground” cases. It may also be true that a few white dudes might get to thinking they can kill without accountability. Which TPTB are perfectly fine with, the black community simmering, the white community dividing up more or less in equal opposition to the black community and each other. I knew we were doomed when I heard a “panel” discussion on NPR the other day, in anticipation of the Martin/Zimmerman jury verdict, on what to do with the black community (basically), between three white panelists and the white host, all of whom were very sincere. Meanwhile I’m fairly certain Ann Coulter has had a continuous orgasm since the verdict, if we are talking about weavers of webs of deceit. Black fomenters of black rage are salivating.

Meanwhile, what is going on in the world, on planet earth? The Treasuries of every nation state are being looted. The banks are sustained by little more than 85 billion in free, just-in-time monthly deposits of cash money digibits (speaking of dark magicians). There is a full-on corporate press to exploit every square inch of the first mile layer of earth crust, grinding it up into one enormous planetary tailings pile, which they do to finance their (perceived) galactic escape hatch. Pollinators are disappearing in alarming numbers, as para-military contractors fan out across the globe to protect the defilers, and the NSA watches every move you make.

You’ld think people thought that was Trayvon’s or Zimmerman’s fault.

Like I also said in the forum:

“Now, both touchstones for a country divided, preyed upon by TPTB and their media while TPTB LOOT IT, and pollute it beyond redemption for Right or Left, gun toting hyper individualist fuck the earth exploiters in one fist, total control government lovers of totalitarian fuck the earth in the other fist; whatever, hands coming together, SMACK, in the direction of internal WAR, while their bloody, miserable scum bag government and corporations conspire to unleash para-military contractors upon ALL THE WORLD. Fucking stupid. RIP Trayvon Martin. You too G-man Zimmerman, whenever some other douche-bag decides he’s going to become the LAW.”

So I don’t know what you think about this media spectacle aka Court of Law, in this waning, declining empire, but I recommend caring less. Try looking out for pollinators instead. It will keep you occupied, and probably less likely of falling prey to any of the dark magicians out there, or any of their prey. Find some berries to pick. Build something. Sing. Dance. Share. :)

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »

I also think this would be a good one for the Blog, fleshed out a bit.  We don't DO short on the Diner Blog.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE

All right, I bit. LOL

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2013/07/15/8989/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:09:52 AM by WHD »

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »

Over 100 LAPD officers fired "less-than-lethal" rounds to clear what authorities described as an unlawful assembly of about 80 people, according to the Times. The protesters condemned the acquittal of Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin, carrying signs reading "We are All Trayvon Martin" and chanting "No Justice, No Peace."

Firing rubber bullets at an otherwise peaceful crowd strikes me as TPTB attempting to provoke war. Which makes the LAPD more like military contractors with an agenda, than servants of the peace.

Incidentally, the Fargo PD does not need a tank, or any of the other para-military gear the Feds and Homeland Security have provided them (and most other Law Enforcement agencies) with - but you are not likely to see a moose anywhere near the city.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »

RE

All right, I bit. LOL

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2013/07/15/8989/

Yes, you did.

Reposted in the Diner Gulag.

Two thoughts, both from others:
"Nothing good can come from this trial. Nothing." ~Charlie Pierce

"All right we are two nations."  ~John Dos Passos.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_CImWc7og28?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_CImWc7og28?feature=player_detailpage</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
William Hunter Duncan: Just so you know, I love every word you have written here. Agree with you one hundred percent. Karpatok

Online jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »
Here's what I think of the Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman case:

I was in the Los Angeles Area when it erupted into a thousand points of light because the residents were not happy with the verdict of a trial.  I remember stuffing wet towels under the doors to keep out the acrid smoke.  And I remember a certain wise man saying, "Can't we all just get along?"  He wasn't a religious or political leader, he was Rodney King, the victim of the videotaped beating the police had been acquited of.

Quite frankly, every response I have read to this case that doesn't echo Rodney King's sentiments kind of sickens me.  This case wasn't about race.  Here's another thought experiment for you: what if the victim was Travis Martin, with everything the same except the color of his skin being white?  Zimmerman would have still been judged to have acted in self-defense.

But here's yet another thought experiment for you: what if all the other facts were the same but Zimmerman had been too poor to hire a lawyer and had to rely on a public defender?  There probably never would have been a trial.  The public defender would most likely have gotten him to plea to third-degree manslaughter and Zimmerman would be spending the next five or so years in prison.

Because there are two systems of justice in these united States of America, but they are not Black and White, they are Poor and Rich.  What matters is not the color of your skin but the thickness of your wallet, or more specifically the quality of lawyer you can hire.

But they want you to forget that.  They want you to fight each other, so you don't fight them.  Why do you think they are so interested in starting a race war now?  They know things are going to hell and people are going to be angry.  If we fight each other, Black vs White vs Hispanic vs Asian, working vs retired vs students vs unemployed, then we won't band together and fight them, the ones who caused it, the ones who are in power, who control the government, and the finances, and the media.

I see two victims here, and I see a bevy of fools.  Both were most immediately victims of their own bad judgement, but ultimately both were victims of a larger system.  One was such a constant victim of racism that he lashed out violently from being followed, and it cost him his life.  Another became a victim of people wanting to inject race into every issue, and he will likely have to deal with it for the rest of his life.  And all the people who let this issue divide us from fighting the true causes of our problems are fools.

I know I'm just spitting into the wind here, because they do already control so many people's mind, but I hope I can reach a few.

Can't we all just get along, and get the ones really responsible?