PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Waste Based Society

Poll

Who is more Incoherent?

MKing
7 (77.8%)
RE
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

AuthorTopic: Waste Based Society  (Read 181411 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Waste Based Society
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Golden Oxen,
Yes they were (ARE) great at brainwashing. The same outfit (Hill & Knowlton) is doing the same kind of brainwashing for fracking. They learned how to push all the amygdala reptile brain buttons real well from Freud's nephew, Bernays.

I used to watch the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. I was about 11 when I saw Elvis sing Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes. My old man got really bent out of shape when Elvis was doing his thing with his knees. :icon_mrgreen: Anyway, the commercials were mostly Tide (boring) and Newport cigarette commercials. I can still see the star trek type symbol they had (long before star trek) and the dancers. All that talk about menthol and fresh air stuck with me so well that when I began to smoke at age 19, that's the brand of cancer stick (yeah, we called them that) I chose. I hope that the public gets it about fracking sooner than we did about smokes. As the video from the gasland producer says, those wells have to stop biogenic (as opposed to the thermogenic gas they actually drill for) from migrating up a the concrete pipe casings FOREVER. Like the lying bastards from tobacco companies had the hard data and studies showing smokes cause cancer, the gas fracking pigs have the hard data and scientific studies that the concrete pipe casings outside the steel pipe ALWAYS crack and allow biogenic gas migration. That's why I got so pissed at Stoneleigh for blithely ignoring this horror. Anyone who has a voice in the fossil fuel community and is not using it to try to stop this evil is complicit in grievously harming the biosphere and many humans as well. Once the aquifer gets poisoned, some bottled water corporation gets an instant boost in profits. These predatory capitalist morons don't get the fact that the entire flora and fauna is at risk in these places the aquifers get poisoned. I really, really suspect these assholes are doing a backdoor "blue water" scarcity push. Yeah, I think they are DELIBERATELY trying to poison aquifers. That is the reason they are so adamant about trying to buy scientists and their studies. They deserve to be strung up from those God Damned fracking drill towers.

I finally quit smoking when I had the pacemaker implanted in 2007. Nothing like a little heart trouble to clear the mind...

Maybe when some friend of Nicole that lives near a fracking well gets breast cancer, her mind will clear as well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:09:11 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:56 AM »
Quote Agelbet  "All that talk about menthol and fresh air stuck with me so well that when I began to smoke at age 19, that's the brand of cancer stick (yeah, we called them that) I chose."

I was one of the smart guys that was too smart to get cancer. I smoked Kents with the micronite filter. Micronite being a fancy name for asbestos. Those friggin pig men are really something aren't they.  I guess we are lucky to still be alive Agelbert after that foolish behavior.         

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
Golden Oxen,
Yes we are lucky to be alive. Maybe the guy upstairs wants us around for a while longer to make life difficult for the bastards that lie to us day and night. As long as my battery is working, I plan to be an energizer bunny pain in the ass to the oil and nuclear industry biosphere killers and their cowardly mouthpiece quislings willing to lie for a buck.

Here's a post I just made at Zero Hedge that may get some juices flowing here and there and bring some traffic to the doomstead diner. :icon_mrgreen:

My handle at Zero Hedge is GAAPpreNixon.

I took the opportunity to link divert some traffic our way with this comment at Zero Hedge. The ZH article is titled "The Coming Unholy Alliance In Natural Gas".

I responded to the following comment:

Just give somone like ObamaGas/JPM a 50 year monopoly to build infrastructure for re fueling stations with a 12% return on investment and I bet we would have a new booming economy with in 2 years.

You are right. But that rabbit hole is very deep. A refinery produces about 19 gallons of gasoline for every 42 gallons of crude processed. The boyz have rigged the market demand to hava a steady demand for all 42 gallons from heavy greases to VOCs. That's why, way back when, Rockefeller talked Henry Ford into using the refinery waste product (gasoline) in automobiles. Benzene (the favored fuel at the time) was out because it is carcinogenic and Edison Labs and the US navy heavily favored ethanol (119 octane vs 93-95 gasoline) because, as long as you ran it in a high compression engine, it was EQUAL to gasolene in mileage without the crud build up in the engine (nobody knew about CO2  problems then). To this day the LIE is pushed by the oil industry and web sites like The Oil Drum that gasoline, because it has higher enthalpy than ethanol, gives better mileage and has a higher EROI (ENERGY RETURN ON ENERGY INVESTED) while real fucking conveniently leaving out the FACT that ethanol gives identical or better mileage on high compression engines with ZERO pollution, NO catalytic converter required and LESS engine wear. The prevaricating fucks at The Oil Scum are fronting for the oil boyz. Someone should remind those overeducated assholes that both gasoline and ethanol are not used to boil water in a lab; they are used as fuel, the last time I checked, to run in internal combustion engines!

And as to gas fracking and that "MINOR" problem they have with 100% of the concrete casing around the steel pipe cracking within 5 years and allowing biogenic gas to migrate up the casing and poison water aquifers, Hill & Knowlton, the very same lying bastards that brought us the Tobacco bullshit in the 1950s, is now fronting for gas fracking claiming it's "safe for the environment". Gas fracking is an obscenity.

Full background info here:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg5905#msg5905
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg5923#msg5923

We have been lied to by world class con artists for over a century.
Renewables, why they work and fossil fuels NEVER DID.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/07/17/hope-for-a-viable-biosphere-of-renewables/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:18:04 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
Agelbert,

From the ZH comments thread, it looks like your response is to the article and not the quoted comment?

The comment you quoted is below your comment  :dontknow:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:00:27 PM by JoeP »
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
Agelbert,

From the ZH comments thread, it looks like your response is to the article and not the quoted comment?

The comment you quoted is below your comment  :dontknow:

That's because until you Sign In, you read the most recent comments first, opposite order to what you see here.  Once you sign in over on ZH, you can order it first to last like here.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Plastics that never really get recycled and how they help harm and kill LIFE;
 One of the MANY "gifts" brought to us by the OIL PIGS:

Graphic: A Day in the Life of Big Oil

Every hour so far in 2012, the five largest oil corporations have recorded a $14,400,000 profit. And every hour, they received more than $270,000 in federal tax breaks. That adds up to $2.4 billion in subsidies every year for the five largest oil corporations — Royal Dutch Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, BP, and ConocoPhillips — all ranked as the top 9 companies in the world.
http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/graphic-day-life-big-oil?akid=9157.113861.yk4wW2&rd=1&src=newsletter685908&t=8
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:53:26 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »
Recycling in China
China's growing recycling industry
Faith,

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2012, 03:56:51 AM »
 Link from agelbert posting
China's growing recycling industry

Agelbert, still pondering if this is a video of hope or despair? Is it possible to be both? Something tells me it is either one or the other however.  :icon_study:

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
Golden Oxen,
I thought the same thing while watching it. Doing that kind of work must really suck. The carcinogens and endocrine disrupters these recyclers are being exposed to is tragic. If more people saw this, maybe less useless shit would be bought and discarded. That said, what you see in China is the future here when no work is available and there is no social safety net. Many people will have to scrounge a living doing whatever work is available even though they know it is shortening their life span to engage in it. Of many industries in the late 19th and all of the 20th century (big oil refineries, coal and Uranium mining especially) operated on the principle of putting people to work in life span shortening environments. I knew of a Gulf oil refinery I lived near that paid extra to work in an area where benzene percolates into the work area during the process of cracking the crude oil. Employees were told benzene and bone cancer are like love and marriage (they go together like a horse and carriage   :evil4:). They WILL get bone cancer (and possibly have other health "issues" along the way and they are knocking off an undetermined number of years off their lives by working there. The offerred pay was nearly double that of working in refinery "safe" areas (relatively speaking  :evil4:). There was never a shortage of workers. :(

At any rate, I posted the video because it underlines the waste based nature of our society and at the same time shows what must be done to recycle this stuff. I don't applaud the misery these people are saddled with by doing this work but accept that it must be done to slow and eventually stop the creation of more products from fossil fuels. Right now there is no reason for certain containers we all use daily (gallon plastic milk containers) to be manufactured from new plastic as the containers can be pyrolyzed (no burning, just heat to deformation) and remade into containers. I would prefer for glass to come back for everything because it doesn't have endocrine disrupters like plastic but we do what we can.

If we are going to have a future, we are all going to have to severely downsize our carbon footprint. Here is, probably, the type of house for a viable future during  a violent climate;
Dome Home disaster and third world housing solution www.dingley-dell.com
Faith,

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
Quote agelbert "If we are going to have a future, we are all going to have to severely downsize our carbon footprint. Here is, probably, the type of house for a viable future during  a violent climate"

Hopeful video agelbert. The things that constructive, well intentioned, problem solving folks can come up with always fill me with hope for our future, dismal as the situation currently appears.

Sometimes I think we overlook the positives  that can be accomplished at the diner, but then again we are doomsters.                                                                                          :icon_study:

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Golden Oxen,
It is said that pessimists are far more realistic than optimists because they weigh the potential of a set of negative outcomes from present events more accurately. That said, I think we pessimists at the DD welcome good news and are genuinely pleased by it. I just found some good news.  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_sunny:

Some good news in the "getting real about renewable energy" department. The USDA press release has the usual crap about Vilsack, Monsanto's mole iin charge of the Department of Agriculture and the Obama administration: "The Obama administration, with Agriculture Secretary Vilsack's leadership, has worked tirelessly..." -blah, blah blah. Compared with daily oil pig subsidies, these grants are way too small (Every hour so far in 2012, the five largest oil corporations have recorded a $14,400,000 profit. And every hour, they received more than $270,000 in federal tax breaks. That adds up to $2.4 billion in subsidies every year for the five largest oil corporations — Royal Dutch Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, BP, and ConocoPhillips — all ranked as the top 9 companies in the world.) but I expect those getting them will be a lot more successful than the oil and gas lobby bargained for. I hope some of them are using duckweed.

Increased biofuel production plays a relatively minor role in retail food price changes because the growing diversity of feedstock used to produce biodiesel allows for flexibility and helps relieve market pressures. Biodiesel is made from an increasingly diverse mix of non-food feedstocks, including recycled cooking oil, agricultural oils and animal fats, allowing most biodiesel producers to select from a choice of feedstocks if prices rise or supplies are limited. Therefore, the industry's impact in commodity markets is significantly reduced. As the market expands for home-grown renewable energy, American farmers and producers will create even more good-paying jobs that can't be exported. The biofuels industry in the U.S. currently employs about 400,000 people and is expected to employ around a million people in the U.S. by 2022.
USDA today is announcing $19.4 million in payments to 125 local producers and business-owners.
Below is a complete list of the 111 producers (by state) receiving payments of more than $500 for production of advanced biofuels. (Producers receiving payments in the amount of $500 or less are not included in the list.)

Arkansas

Delta American Fuel, LLC: $10,556 for biodiesel transesterification
Futurefuel Chemical Company: $256,440 for biodiesel transesterification

Arizona
Pinal Energy, LLC: $35,355 for ethanol production

California
American Biodiesel, Inc: $426,878 for biodiesel transesterification
Fiscalini Properties, LP: $541 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Gallo Cattle Company, LP: $1,283 for energy from an anaerobic digester
High Mountain Fuels, LLC: $17,155 for landfill gas
Imperial Western Products, Inc.: $710,618 for biodiesel transesterification
New Leaf Biofuel, LLC: $217,467 for biodiesel transesterification
Promethean Biofuels Cooperative Corp.: $2,377 for biodiesel transesterification

Connecticut
Biodiesel One, Ltd: $2,981 for biofuel from waste products
Biopur, Inc.: $2,409 for biofuel from waste products

Florida
Genuine Bio-Fuel, Inc.: $504,938 for biodiesel transesterification

Georgia
Down To Earth Energy, LLC: $602 for biodiesel transesterification
Nittany Biodiesel: $29,548 for biodiesel transesterification
U.S. Biofuels, Inc.: $13,740 for biodiesel transesterification

Hawaii
Pacific Biodiesel, Inc.: $28,646.80 for biofuel from waste products

Iowa
Clinton County Bio Energy, LLC: $64,382 for biofuel from waste products
Iowa Renewable Energy, LLC: $135,510 for biofuel from waste products
Renewable Energy Group, Inc.: $873,622 for biodiesel transesterification
Western Dubuque Biodiesel, LLC: $287,034 for biodiesel transesterification
Western Iowa Energy: $250,277 for biofuel from waste products

Idaho
DF-AP#1, LLC: $1,587 for energy from an anaerobic digester

Illinois
Archer Daniels Midland Company: $596,279 for biodiesel transesterification
Incobrasa Industries, Ltd.: $305,038 for biodiesel transesterification
Midwest Biodiesel Product, LLC: $640,572 for biodiesel transesterification

Indiana
Integrity Biofuels, LLC: $26,004 for biodiesel transesterification
Louis Dreyfus Agricultural Industries: $613,428 for biofuel from waste products
Union County Biodiesel Company: $149,465 for biofuel from waste products

Kansas
Arkalon Ethanol, LLC: $1,868,965 for ethanol production
Bonanza Bioenergy: LLC: $121,500 for ethanol production
Emergent Green Energy, Inc.: $11,039 for biodiesel mechanical
Kansas Ethanol, LLC: $168,168 for ethanol production
Nesika Energy, LLC: $46,822 for ethanol production
Prairie Horizon Agri-Energy, LLC: $98,791 for ethanol production
R-3 Energy, LLC: $4,292 for biofuel from waste products
Reeve Agri Energy, Inc.: $221,752 for ethanol production
Western Plains Energy, LLC: $3,130,184 for ethanol production

Kentucky
Griffin Industries, Inc: $13,060 for biofuel from waste products
Owensboro Grain Company, LLC: $394,025 for biodiesel transesterification
Somerset Hardwood Flooring: $7,040 for pellets
Southern Kentucky Pellet Mill, Inc.: $817 for pellets

Maine
Geneva Wood Fuels, LLC: $2,236 for pellets
Maine Woods Pellets Company, LLC: $6,277 for pellets
Northeast Pellets LLC: $624 for pellets

Massachusetts
Fuels of The Future, LLC: $1,249 for biofuel from waste products

Michigan
Scenic View Dairy, LLC: $27,856 for energy from an anaerobic digester

Minnesota
Cargill, Inc.: $350,769 for energy from an anaerobic digester / biodiesel transesterification
District 45 Dairy, LLP: $2,065 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Ever Cat Fuels, LLC: $146,077 for biodiesel transesterification
MN Soybean Processors: $309,311 for biodiesel transesterification
Riverview, LLP: $2,232 for energy from an anaerobic digester
West River Dairy, LLP: $1,584 for energy from an anaerobic digester

Missouri
Abengoa Bioenergy Corporation: $367,490 for ethanol production
Deerfield Energy, LLC: $159,221 for biodiesel transesterification
ME Bio Energy, LLC: $27,875 for biodiesel transesterification
Mid-America Biofuels, LLC: $294,369 for biodiesel transesterification
Natural Biodiesel Plant, LLC: $45,293 for biodiesel transesterification
Paseo Cargill Energy, LLC: $323,064 for biodiesel transesterification

Mississippi
Enviva, LP: $15,931.32 for Pellets
Ethos Alternative Energy Mississippi, LLC: $11,446 for biofuel from waste products
Scott Petroleum Corporation: $57,294 for biofuel from waste products

Nebraska
Ag Processing, Inc.: $313,119 for biodiesel transesterification

Nevada
Bently Biofuels Company: $3,479 for biofuel from waste products

New Hampshire
American Energy Independence Company, LLC: $1,805 for biofuel from waste products
New England Wood Pellet, LLC: $22,781 for pellets
Smartfuel America, LLC: $5,468 for biofuel from waste products

New Mexico
Mt. Taylor Machine, LLC: $532 for pellets
Rio Valley Biofuels, LLC: $4,154 for biofuel from waste products

New York
Aurora Ridge Dairy, LLC: $863 for energy from an anaerobic digester

North Carolina
Blue Ridge Biofuels, LLC: $27,837 for biofuel from waste products
North American Bio-Energies: $4,931 for biodiesel mechanical
Piedmont Biofuels Industrial, LLC: $1,072 for biodiesel mechanical

Ohio
Center Alternative Energy Company II: $31,791 for biodiesel transesterification

Oklahoma
High Plains Bioenergy: LLC: $1,628,461for biodiesel transesterification

Oregon
Sequential-Pacific Biodiesel: $125,799 for biodiesel transesterification
Stahlbush Island Farms, Inc.: $18,852 for energy from an anaerobic digester

Pennsylvania
Lake Erie Biofuels, LLC: $993,122 for biodiesel transesterification

Rhode Island
Newport Biodiesel, LLC: $5,354 for biofuel from waste products

South Carolina
Evergreen Biodiesel Production Facility: $37,419 for biofuel from waste products

Tennessee
Bioenergy Development Group, LLC: $645 for biodiesel transesterification
Hassell & Hughes: $1,223 for pellets

Texas
Agribiofuels, LLC: $17,139 for biodiesel transesterification
Element Markets, LLC: $1,199 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Green Earth Fuels of Houston, LLC: $369,467 for biodiesel transesterification
White Energy, Inc.: $743,124 for ethanol production

Virginia
Potomac Supply Corporation: $8,228 for pellets
Reco Biodiesel, LLC: $42,799 for biodiesel transesterification
Virginia Biodiesel Refinery, LLC: $7,900 for biodiesel transesterification

Vermont
VT Wood Pellet Co., LLC: $1,713 for pellets

Washington
Farm Power Lynden, LLC: $793 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Farm Power Rexville, LLC: $965 for energy from an anaerobic digester
FPE Renewables, LLC, Lynden, Washington: $9,611 for energy from an anaerobic digester
GDR Power, LLC: $1,054 for energy from an anaerobic digester
General Biodiesel, Inc.: $4,976 for biodiesel transesterification
Imperium Grays Harbor, LLC: $418,115 for biodiesel transesterification
Qualco Energy: $715 for energy from an anaerobic digester

Wisconsin
Bio Blend Fuels: $958 for biodiesel transesterification
Buckeye Ridge Renewable Power, LLC: $3,995 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Green Valley Dairy, LLC: $880 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Grotegut Dairy Farm, Inc.: $6,836 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Holsum Dairies, LLC: $1,913 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Marth Peshtigo Pellet Company, LLC: $786 for pellets
Marth Wood Shaving Supply, Inc.: $2,432 for pellets
Norswiss Digester, LLC: $3,918 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Quantum Dairy, LLC: $1,045 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Stargest Power, LLC: $3,598 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Statz Brothers, Inc.: $2,481 for energy from an anaerobic digester
Sun Power Biodiesel, LLC: $8,502 for biodiesel transesterification
Walsh Bio Fuels, LLC: $65,036 for biodiesel transesterification

West Virginia
Hamer Pellet Fuel: $8,086 for pellets

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/news_detail.cfm/news_id=18543
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »

Phantom Eye hydrogen powered surveillance UAV

In the video at the link, Boeing OPENLY ADMITS that they took an off the shelf Ford Ranger Truck engine which Ford had converted to run on Hydrogen 10 YEARS AGO and made use of it for the Phantom Eye drone which can NOW stay aloft for 4 days and eventually will be able to fly continuously for 10 days. Boeing's contribution has been to perfect the fuel cell technology needed to provide the engine with hydrogen and oxygen at 65,000 feet.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? TEN YEARS AGO Ford had a RELIABLE engine that ran on hydrogen!

Hydrogen Strato Engine   :stop:
   :jawdrop:
With a solar powered hydrolyzer at your home you would NEVER run out of fuel. Hydrogen tanks are EASY to build safely by engineering a water jacket around the tank. We've come a long way since the Hindenburg. You wouldn't need a fancy fuel cell because there is no oxygen deficiency at the elevations cars operate in.

YOU DO NOT NEED PETROLEUM TO RUN A CAR ICE (internal combustion engine) OR ANY OTHER ICE OUT THERE! It's ALL Big Oil Bullshit!

Lubricants and plastics also can be obtained from plant matter WITHOUT polluting the atmosphere.

For anyone from The Anal Oil Drum that wants to claim hydrogen does this, that and the other damage to an engine, I have to ask how stupidly stubborn, mendacious, evasive and cravenly loyal to Big Oil do you have to be to believe an engine that RUNS CONTINUOUSLY for FOUR FUCKING DAYS in a surveillance drone is going to be allowed to run a fuel that ruins the engine!!? :cwmddd:  :Benny_monkeysmilies:  :iamwithstupid:

If you try to get that Ford ICE converted to running on hydrogen for your vehicle, you will not be able to do so. Free country, MY ASS! Energy crisis, MY ASS! This is an Oil Oligarchy DICTATORSHIP!

Boeing unveiled its hydrogen-powered Phantom Eye unmanned airborne system during a ceremony in St. Louis on July 12. The demonstrator, which will stay aloft at 65,000 feet for up to four days, is powered by two 2-liter, four-cylinder engines that provide 150 horsepower each. It has a 150-foot wingspan, will cruise at approximately 150 knots and can carry up to a 450-pound payload.
Video at the link:
http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/07/bds_feat_phantom_eye_07_12_10.html
We do not have an ENERGY crisis;   We have a GREED crisis.
Hope for a viable biosphere
Renewables, why they work and fossil and nuclear fuels never did
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/07/17/hope-for-a-viable-biosphere-of-renewables/

The "Green Revolution' fossil fuel LIE
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg4313#msg4313
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nuclear experimentation killed free power part II

Jimmy Midnight
Activist Post

Ethan Indigo Smith is my son, and I did help him with some scientific issues in the previously released, Nuclear Experimentation Killed Free Power Part I. I’m writing to defend on scientific, technical, statistical, rhetorical, and political grounds, his basic thesis. Allow me here to paraphrase: “To understand that nuclear experimentation is The Rabbit Hole of Death requires only minimal scientific knowledge.”

Thanks to Tom Bedlam for his attentive reply, and for pointing out that, as far as anyone knows, there are no magnetic field disruption issues peculiar to nukes. The name Bedlam serendipitously highlights the fact that nuclear experimentation has always been, is now, and will forever remain, a bedlamite way to boil water.

Bedlam attempts to quantify the accidents at Simi Valley, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. Let’s step back just long enough to notice that the first three were meltdowns at large facilities while Fukushima is a meltdown of at least three such facilities, with the impending compromise of a spent fuel pool. So if Chernobyl, a nuke built with marvelous hubris but without secondary containment, really is worse than Fuku, it has to be with the modifier, “So far.”

The relative size of TMI in this regard is also problematic. In view of the secrecy inherent in nukes, and inconsistencies in measurement, a difference of at least five orders of magnitude in admitted total radio-releases would clearly be significant; of three or less, maybe not. The data from Simi Valley, about a 1959 mishap, is actually the most telling because it’s down the great American memory hole; for instance nowhere to be found in a list of “nuclear plant accidents” that contains incidents going back to 1957 in my 2002 World Almanac, a generally reliable source of factual information.

Which highlights the secrecy aspect of nuclear experimentation, spawned in secrecy, born in secrecy, (because it was nuclear weapons related) raised in secrecy, nurtured in secrecy, alive in secrecy, and really dependent on secrecy for its continued existence. An example is the continuing secret, (well, it’s public information, but de-emphasized until it functions as a secret) that, thanks to the good ol’ Price-Anderson Act, nuke operators don’t have to carry liability insurance, like ordinary Americans of modest means would have to in their businesses. Well, operators do have to have a not-adjusted-for-inflation-since-1957 $560 million dollars worth. Extrapolate what they’re paying for that coverage to what rendering a 10? 15? 30? 60?-mile radius of uninhabitable area would cost, and get an idea of the size of one form of nuclear subsidy.

Bedlam’s also partial to serving up figures for the release of Iodine-131 and Cesium-137, which symbolize the problem Ethan points up in The Matrix of Four. As two of the three known isotopes whose devastating health effects are well-documented (the other is Strontium-90) these are the known knowns of nuclear experimentation (well, some of them.) There are also known unknowns; for example, how much radioactive oxide dust is being plumed and blown around? How much steam? Cadmium 115? Tellurium 127, 129, 131, 132? Neobium, Molybdenum, Zirconium, Niobium 95? Barium 140? Etc. etc.?

Reactors operate on fissions that break Uranium down into myriad radioisotopes, most of which finally stop emitting their alphas, betas, gammas, neutrons, and occasional antineutrinos after at last becoming the stable Pb-208, Lead. What about the water/chemicals used to fight the meltdown fires? And of course there are unknown unknowns, a concept that speaks for itself in an industry run by people who think it’s all just dandy to use extremely dangerous metallic Sodium as a circulating coolant around superultrahyper dangerous nuclear fuel, and to place spent fuel pools on the roofs of reactors. (Talk about being analogous to a two- or three-story outhouse! ‘cept what’s likely to dump on you is more than just rather disgusting.) In response to Bedlam’s critique, I researched other industrial uses of metallic Sodium. All of those I could find take advantage of its chemical reactivity; only in nuclear experimentation is it used as a circulating coolant.

Which brings us, at last, to the unknown knowns. These are the secrets kept through conscious silence or obfuscation on the one hand, and the lies that people tell themselves about the secrets they possess, and the unexamined assumptions they carry around, on the other. Reactor operators are sure it’s safe, which is why I’m sure they’re insane. F’rinstance, Bedlam has somehow convinced himself that a nuclear experiment station is no worse than a fossil-fuel burner. But it is. Even in the case of a coal-burner, fueled by mountaintop removal, vile as that is, at least the greenhouse gasses and toxic ashes and immediate environmental damage are about the limit of its destructiveness. Choose a legacy of ashes, which can be stored safely on an indefinite basis given a watertight roof; or of spent fuel that will remain dangerously radioactive for a longer time, going forward, than from here back to the dawn of recorded history. Add that to the cumulative effects of ever-increasing levels of nuclear radiation.

Unknown knowns are also an important dynamic in the whole American political system. Any little group of people who get a certain level of public privilege will eventually become its own special interest group, with interest in preserving what’s already been gained. Part of what got the nuclear experimentation industry really going was the possibility of reprocessing spent fuel to make Plutonium, a better material for nuclear warheads than the “old fashioned” Uranium-235. Now, there are way too many warheads, but the spent-fuel headache just keeps growing—a disposal problem as insoluble as polyethylene in water. When the best available solution might be to put it aboard nearly useless ocean vessels and scuttle it in the Arctic, as the Russians are doing, the situation speaks for itself.

Another industry byproduct is “depleted Uranium,” some of which is used in munitions. These are pretty terrible weapons that burst into flame when penetrating armor, spewing oxide dust all around. And only about two-thirds of the original highly radioactive U-235 has been removed. Yet even this use leaves a huge surplus of U-238 and/or depleted yellowcake and/or Uranium hexafluoride that no one really knows what to do with. Some of the Fluoride, stripped of Uranium, ends up in municipal water supplies, so that two super privileged industries get to work together momentarily.

There are about 400 nukes in the world, and six of them (counting three at Fukushima) have already had disastrous accidents. Or maybe we should multiply by years of operation. Say they’ve been running for an average of 25 years. So that would be ten thousand reactor-years, and six major accidents. Not a terrible record for, say, an experimental aircraft, but imagine a passenger jet that crashed six one hundredths of one percent of the time. There’d be disasters every cussed day! And of course with these nukes, everyone within a radius of some double-digit number of miles is necessarily on board for rides with this six one hundredths of one percent chance of crashing.

Ethan’s piece had a secondary thesis, the idea that: “Nuclear experimentation also prevents the development of better, safer, cheaper, more sustainable alternatives.” Though I remain without an advanced academic degree, I am pretty fluent in the language of mathematics and the natural sciences. Areas in which I have more extensive knowledge are Chemistry, Molecular Biology, and maybe Statistics, rather than Nuclear Physics. In Chemistry, orbital electrons (which we now understand is a quaintly inaccurate term) are the only subatomic particles with which we generally are dealing. Also in Chemistry, we know that mass action really makes the wheels turn and the (chemical) world go around. The mass action concept is also a very useful notion in economic analysis. Applied in the field of energy production, it means that all subsidies to these dinosaur sources, these Eisenhower-era methodologies, because they are thus artificially cheapened, necessarily also suppress the renewables upon which all humanity must someday depend. Fossil fuels and nuclear plants also get a free ride on the environmental and health problems which their operations entail.

What’s clearly needed are the reggae song energy sources, “I and I and I and I,” in which imagination, invention, ingenuity, and innovation are unleashed to work with wind, solar, tidal, ocean current, cultivated diatoms, geothermal (and here I’m talking about drilling holes deep enough to get down to magma, to produce high-pressure steam for electric turbines) and also exotic, eccentric schemes, typified by various notions for Hydrogen generators. I came up with one of these myself, of course just at the imagination level, noting that if the Higgs boson had a wave nature, it might be possible to render large objects weightless, or drastically reduce their weight in some temporary way, by generating a counter-wave.

Yeah, I know there are possible conservation of energy problems with such a scheme, but there’s no thermodynamic difference between particle nature and wave nature as far as anyone knows, so if an anti-wave could be generated, there might be a way to get a net energy gain from this sort of method, just sayin’. In Chemistry, we imagine “energy hills,” which have to be climbed, to start certain reactions.Typically this is achieved by applying a lot of heat. But sometimes, instead of climbing the hill or tunneling through it, a way around it can be found. For example, some chemical processes can be catalyzed by light, using   less energy  than the heat that would otherwise be required, and in certain instances, just the addition of a catalyst can bring about spontaneous chemical changes, some even exothermic.

The poor Bedlamite also manages to repeat canards about how windmills will mess up migratory birds, or that ocean currents could be adversely affected by current power; and also casts doubt on the discovery of the Higgs boson. There is a chance that the recently-trumpeted data point isn’t Higgs. It is a chance in something like ten billion. Contrast this probability with the chance that all radio-release data from nuclear meltdowns are accurate and reliable.

Meanwhile, let’s get the rumor going that all these chain reactions are making fissures and fractures in the time/space continuum that are making the free power we could get from anti-Higgs wheels impossible to obtain. It’s no more dishonest than the idea that atomic energy can have peaceful uses. And you can’t prove it isn’t so, because you can’t prove a negative. Furthermore, we know that the law of energy conservation can be violated at sub-photon levels for very short periods of time, and this speculation is all about some sort of light beam or time beam. So if electromagnetic pulses from detonations also cause cracks in time/space, and controlled chain reactions little fissures, that could easily mess up such a beam. Just sayin’.

Jimmy Midnight is a blues musician and an organic farmer in Maine. Find out more about The Maine Blues Society HERE:
http://www.mainebluessociety.com/?attachment_id=95

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/09/nuclear-experimentation-killed-free_20.html

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Two-Thirds of the World's New Solar Panels Were Installed in Europe in 2011
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
hot dry dead future
hot dry dead future
coastal flooding
coastal flooding
please waste
please waste

There are still some countries, unlike the USA, that inderstand what a future practicing the same fossil and nuclear fuel insanity will look like  and, more importantly, WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT!

Two-Thirds of the World's New Solar Panels Were Installed in Europe in 2011

ScienceDaily (Sep. 24, 2012) — Europe accounted for two thirds of the world-wide newly installed photovoltaic (PV) capacity in 2011, with 18.5 GW. Its overall PV capacity totalled 52 GW. The yearly electricity produced by PV could power a country with the electricity demand of Austria, which corresponds to 2% of the EU's electricity needs. These are some of the highlights of the 2012 Photovoltaics Status Report published September 24 by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre.

The study summarises and evaluates the current activities regarding manufacturing, policies and market implementation world-wide.

Over the past ten years, the PV industry grew in Europe by an average of over 40% per year and the production costs have decreased by around 60%. Underlying this progress is the EU commitment towards PV systems as a means to achieve the goal of using 20% of renewable energy by 2020.

Germany, Italy, Spain, the Czech Republic, France, Belgium, and the United Kingdom are the leaders in installed PV capacity in Europe.

Since 2000, world-wide, total PV production had growth rates of between 40 and 90%. The most rapid growth in annual production over the last five years was observed in Asia, where China alone accounts for more than 50% of the world's PV production. In addition, for the second year in a row, solar power was the renewable energy that attracted most investment, with a total of 98.5 billion euros world-wide, of which two thirds were concentrated in Europe.

A challenge for the European industry in this field is China's massive investment in PV manufacturing, which has led to an economy of scale in manufacturing in that country. However, the delivery of manufacturing equipment from Europe to Asia is still beneficial as Europe still has the lead in PV research and development, thereby innovating the European PV manufacturing equipment industry.

The report highlights that PV technology and its deployment is a global business and considers that future generations of PV technologies could spring from international cooperation on eco-innovation, in partnership with Asia and the United States.

In addition, it highlights that there is a large scope for PV innovation in the achievement of both energy efficiency and improved design in buildings. PV modules can be incorporated and specifically designed as building materials, functioning as an insulation material and fostering a new "European PV-architecture," whilst at the same time providing one of the key technologies required to achieve zero emissions buildings.

Further information: http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/refsys/
Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Waste Based Society V: The Fallacy of Cutting Waste
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
Waste Based Society V: The Fallacy of Cutting Waste by Diner Monsta666 now UP on the Diner Blog.

An excellent addition to the first 3 installments I wrote and the one by Agelbert.

RE
Save As Many As You Can