AuthorTopic: Another Day Another Shooter  (Read 42716 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🔫 A little more profiling of the Thousand Oaks Shooter
« Reply #375 on: November 08, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-shooter-profile-20181108-story.html

After Thousand Oaks shooting, picture emerges of a troubled ex-Marine known to authorities
By Matt Hamilton , Jaclyn Cosgrove , Hannah Fry  and Ruben Vives
Nov 08, 2018 | 4:35 PM
After Thousand Oaks shooting, picture emerges of a troubled ex-Marine known to authorities

Sheriff's deputies wait outside the home that shooting suspect Ian David Long shared with his mother in Newbury Park early Thursday. (Sean Greene / Los Angeles Times)

Before he opened fire at a Thousand Oaks bar, killing 12 people Wednesday night, authorities said, Ian David Long was known among former roommates and neighbors in Newbury Park as an ex-Marine who appeared to be wrestling with mental health problems.

Dressed in black, Long, 28, made the five-mile drive from his home to Borderline Bar and Grill, where he tossed smoke bombs and rained bullets on a crowd of 150 to 200 people about 11:20 p.m., law enforcement officials said.

Authorities said Long carried out the attack armed with a Glock 21 .45-caliber handgun, which he purchased legally in Simi Valley but had apparently modified with an extended magazine.

Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said Long was found dead of an apparent gunshot wound in an office inside the bar. Authorities suspect he turned the gun on himself after the massacre. Officials have not determined Long’s motive in the attack.

See full coverage of the Thousand Oaks shooting »

Dean said his department had several encounters with Long, most recently in April when deputies responded to his home for a complaint of disturbing the peace. At the time, they said Long was irate and acting irrationally.

The crisis team called in to evaluate him discussed whether he might have post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, based on his military service. They concluded that he did not present enough of a danger to himself or others to be taken into custody.

Tom Hanson, a 70-year-old neighbor, said he was the one who called police after overhearing Long breaking things in the house. Hanson was worried that Long would hurt himself.

“I am not surprised, but I’m shocked,” Hanson said Thursday about the shooting.
Thousand Oaks gunman was ex-Marine who may have had PTSD, sheriff says »
(Kyle Kim, Lorena Iniguez Elebee, Shaeffer Grubb / Los Angeles Times Graphics)

Neighbor Richard Berge, 77, said Long was known to kick holes in the walls of the ranch-style home on Fowler Avenue he shared with his mother.

“She’s a very sweet woman, but she had a lot of problems with the son,” Berge said. “I just know he tore the house up.”

The sheriff said Long’s only other interactions with his deputies involved a traffic ticket and a 2015 battery at a different Thousand Oaks bar where Long was the victim.

On Thursday morning, a green light in a decorative fixture next to the garage of Long’s three-bedroom home illuminated the driveway as authorities huddled outside. The light is commonly used to honor military veterans.

Long served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 2008 to 2013 and was a machine gunner. He trained at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County before he deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2010, where he experienced combat.

He was awarded standard military honors as well as the Combat Action Ribbon, which is given to service members who are fired upon by — or fire at — the enemy. In 2011, he attained the rank of corporal.

Long received two administrative disciplinary actions for shoplifting at a store on base early in his military service, but he was honorably discharged in 2013, according to a defense official who spoke on condition of anonymity. Long’s last post was at Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii.

For much of his time in the Marines, Long was married, but he and his then-wife filed jointly for divorce in May 2013 in Ventura County, according to court records. The divorce was finalized eight months later.

After leaving the military, Long enrolled the same year at Cal State Northridge, where he studied athletic training.

Blake Winnett, a set builder from Simi Valley, said he lived with Long for about two years after they met in 2013. They roomed together in Simi Valley and later in Reseda while Long attended college.

Winnett recalled his former roommate as quiet — almost reclusive, keeping to himself and adhering to routines.

“He wasn’t outgoing or talkative,” Winnett said. “He kept to himself, always had his earbuds in. He went to the gym, went to class or rode his motorcycle.”

Winnett said he would sometimes coax his hesitant roommate into going out and grabbing a drink at various watering holes in Los Angeles and around Simi Valley.

Long, he said, occasionally went to Borderline, but the bar’s Western vibe wasn’t really his scene.

"He’s not really a country guy,” Winnett said.

Long was known to keep a handgun at the home he and Winnett shared with a few other roommates. It didn’t strike Winnett, a gun owner himself, as unusual.

Winnett said Long had his share of quirks. Sometimes, he would stay in the San Fernando Valley home’s garage in sweltering heat, listening to electronic dance music and dancing alone.

“He did it all by himself. Maybe he was just embarrassed by it? But he’d be in the garage for an hour, 100 degrees outside and in the middle of the day,” he said.

Winnett said Long also experimented with molly, a well-known club drug, and took painkillers after a motorcycle accident on a freeway around 2015 that left him with injuries to his arm.

On Thursday morning, Winnett was wrestling with his memories and phoning old roommates to make sense of what happened. Winnett, who last spoke to Long a year ago, said he couldn’t see Long carrying out such a massacre.

However, another former roommate, who requested anonymity to protect her privacy, said it seemed evident that Long had some PTSD and wasn’t happy about his time in the military. Long’s personality, she said, changed after the motorcycle crash. The accident required Long to undergo surgeries and left him unable to exercise, she said.

“He started taking pills for his pain, and he was just not the same. His demeanor definitely changed. I didn’t know if it was due to the accident itself and the pain, or the pills,” she said. “He had a character change and was more isolated.”

While it’s unclear whether Long was ever diagnosed with PTSD, experts say people with the condition are about three times more likely to commit an act of violence than those without any mental disorder, said Jeffrey Swanson, a psychiatry professor at Duke University School of Medicine who studies the link between mental illness and violence. That risk of violence jumps sharply in people with PTSD and a substance-use problem, he said.

“Violent behavior is complex…. It’s a whole cocktail of factors that come together,” Swanson said. “It’s difficult to predict for that reason.”

Long’s roommates said his mother would often come over to assist her son as he recovered. As an only child, they said, Long was close to his mother. Court records show his parents divorced in 1991 when Long was a year old.

L.A. Now

Thousand Oaks shooting leaves 13 people dead, including gunman, and 18 injured
Nov 08, 2018 | 3:25 PM

After Long left the residence in Reseda, he moved in with his mom.

He left Cal State Northridge in 2016 without graduating, according to the university.

Long continued receiving mail at his old place — from the Department of Motor Vehicles, from CSUN — and the ex-roommate would call, text and Facebook message Long, but he never responded.

The woman wonders if she could have done more.

“In retrospect, should I have done something?” she said. “I did think to myself, I remember vocalizing this, ‘If I know anyone that might become a shooter, it would be Ian.’ I don’t think it’s normal to spend nine months in a room, which is what he did after the motorcycle accident. He’d go to his kitchen, his bedroom and that was it.”

Neighbors said arguments between Long and his mother quickly began to break out in their quiet neighborhood after he moved back.

Donald J. MacLeod, 79, and his wife were about to go to sleep late one night last year when the couple heard arguing behind their home from the Longs’ residence. There was shouting, cursing and dogs barking.

“All of sudden I heard a gunshot,” MacLeod said. “I told my wife to leave the lights out, don’t get near the wall, a bullet could go through the stucco.”

As he made his way to the backyard, he noticed the neighbors’ home. The lights went out.

“Everything was quiet,” he said.

MacLeod said he would hear arguments between Long and his mother when Long was a teen, but those fights became increasingly volatile after he returned from the military. Sometimes there would be two or three in a day, with Long shouting profanity at his mother.

“A lot of adjectives I can’t and won’t repeat,” MacLeod said.

Before he enlisted in the military, Long was among Newbury Park High School’s class of 2008, according to a local newspaper’s list of graduates. He was a reserve outfielder on the varsity baseball team during his junior year after he transferred to the school from El Modena High School in Orange County.

Scott Drootin, who coached Long on the Panthers in 2007, said he was a very quiet teen who mostly kept to himself. Long spoke about plans to join the military after high school and often wore an Army jacket, Drootin recalled.

“He was respectful,” Drootin said. “He wasn’t a very happy kid. I always try to make kids smile, and he never did. He was kind of a loner.”

In recent years, neighbor Nick Dichirico said he was lucky to get a hello from Long whenever he saw him. Dichirico knows those who live around Long’s home, and he regularly talks to them while walking his dog.

“He was one person that wouldn’t talk to anybody,” Dichirico said. “Everybody around here knows everybody, and everybody knows what’s going on, and this is a surprise to wake up to this morning.”

Times staff writers Javier Panzar, Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Anh Do, Joe Serna, Eric Sondheimer and David S. Cloud contributed to this report.

4:35 p.m.: This story was updated with interviews from neighbors and additional details.

1:15 p.m.: This story was updated with interviews from Long’s former roommates.

11:40 a.m.: This story was updated throughout with additional details.

This article was originally published at 9:45 a.m.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What are the chances?: Vegas massacre survivor dies in California bar shooting
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas-massacre-survivor-dies-in-california-bar-shooting

Las Vegas massacre survivor dies in California bar shooting
Ryan Gaydos
By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

Mom of bar victim: I don't want prayers, I want gun control

Distraught mother makes an emotional plea after her son is killed at California's Borderline Bar & Grill.

A California man who escaped the mass shooting at a Las Vegas country music festival in October 2017 was one of the 12 people murdered a little more than a year later in another mass shooting at a country music venue.

Telemachus Orfanos was at Borderline Bar & Grill, a Thousand Oaks establishment packed Wednesday for "college country night," when former Marine and Afghanistan war veteran Ian David Long entered the bar, deployed a smoke device and, without a word, began gunning down patrons.

A Message from prudential.com
Promoted video

Click to learn more

Orfanos, 27, was a military veteran, too, having served in the U.S. Navy from 2011 to 2014. He moved back to California to stay with his parents after he finished his service and, at the time of Wednesday's shooting, he was working for a car dealership.

On Oct. 1, 2017, Orfanos was at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas when a gunman perched inside a Mandalay Bay hotel room overlooking the concert venue rained down a hail of gunfire on the helpless hundreds below. Stephen Paddock killed 58 people and wounded hundreds more before he killed himself. Even 13 months later, investigators have yet to definitively detail a motive for the massacre.

Orfanos made it out alive that night, and, on Thursday morning, his mother, Susan Schmidt-Orfanos was hoping her son had been lucky again.

She made a desperate plea for gun control to reporters at the scene.
Telemachus Orfanos, a Las Vegas massacre surivor, who was killed in Wednesday night's shooting at a California bar.

Telemachus Orfanos, a Las Vegas massacre surivor, who was killed in Wednesday night's shooting at a California bar. (Facebook)

“I don't want prayers. I don't want thoughts,” she told reporters. “I want those b-------- in Congress -- they need to pass gun control so no one else has a child that doesn't come home.”

Governor-elect Gavin Newsom lamented the violence during a public appearance Thursday, the Democrat's first since winning his election Tuesday.

“It's a gun culture,” he said. “You can't go to a bar or nightclub? You can't go to church or synagogue? It's insane is the only way to describe it. The normalization, that's the only way I can describe it. It's become normalized.”

Orfanos’ father, Mark Orfanos, said the shooter -- who officials indicated may have suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder --  “was probably as much of a victim as everybody else.”
Police remove evidence from Calif. shooting suspect's homeVideo

“I’m not gonna vilify this kid because he's got parents that are grieving, too,” Mark Orfanos said. “And I feel sorry for them as well. Until I find out particularly what the specifics are with this kid who did the shooting I’m not gonna be vilifying him.”

He also echoed Newsom in blaming “gun culture.”

“How ironic that my son should be killed this way,” Orfanos said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔫 Live updates as mass shooting takes place at two Christchurch mosques
« Reply #377 on: March 15, 2019, 12:52:41 AM »
The Kiwis join the Shoot-em-Up Parade!

More Vids & Pics at the Link.

RE

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/live-mass-shooting-christchurch-mosque-police-respond-active-shooter-situation.html?variant=tb_v_1

Live updates as mass shooting takes place at two Christchurch mosques leaving multiple casualties, refresh for latest updates.

7:10pm: Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel has spoken to John Campbell this evening.

"We need to come together and care for each other, we need to make this unite us, not divide us."

6:55pm: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has just spoken on the attacks.

"We grieve we are shocked appalled and outraged as we stand here and condemn the attack that occurred today by an extremist right wing violent terrorist.

"In a vicious attack that has claimed so many New Zelander's."

He gave his heartfelt sympathies to all of the New Zealand people and all those of Islamic faith in Australia and New Zealand.

6:50pm: The lock down at Christchurch Hospital has now been lifted as police get control over what has been a, "fluid situation".

6:47pm: Sommerville St in Dunedin has been cordoned off by heavily armed police.

Police have not confirmed if the cordon is related to the mosque attacks.

6:40pm: St Peter's Anglican Church in Wellington is holding a vigil at 7pm tonight.

6:23pm: Latest update from St John: St John has transferred multiple patients to Christchurch Hospital and local medical facilities.

Patient injuries ranged from minor through to those with critical gun shot wounds.

There have been multiple fatalities.

6:31pm: With everyone on edge, police say they are in attendance at an incident in Britomart, Auckland where a bag has been located unattended.

6:12pm: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is currently in a high level briefing and will address the country at 7pm.

6:01pm: An update from Christchurch Airport over flights.

5:56pm: Reaction to the shootings from All Black and devout Muslim Sonny Bill Williams.

5:55pm: Police can now confirm the lock down of schools throughout Christchurch has been lifted.

5:39pm: An Australian police source has named the gunman as Brenton Tarrant from Grafton New South Wales.

5:31pm: Police Commissioner Mike Bush says three men and one woman have now been arrested over the attacks at two mosques.

Police cannot say how many fatalities there are, but there have been a "significant number" of deaths.
‘Four in custody’ following mass shooting at two mosques in Christchurch
01:02

Police Commissioner Mike Bush briefed media just a couple of hours following the shooting which injured dozens.

It cannot yet be confirmed that everyone involved in the attacks have been apprehended.

There were a number of improvised explosive devices found in vehicles after the shootings.

5:25pm: Another eyewitness has told 1 NEWS the gunman herded people into a corner of one of the mosques involved in the shooting and "continued to fire".

5:15pm: Thousands of children remain in lockdown at schools across Christchurch.

One school principal has emailed parents to say approximately 750 pupils at the school on the outskirts of Christchurch, are still in lockdown and will remain that way till at least 5:30pm

5:03pm: The next Test match between Bangladesh and the Black Caps has been cancelled in the wake of the shootings.

5:01pm: 1 NEWS understands the person behind the shooting is an Australian citizen.

It is not yet known if there was more than one person involved in the attack.

4:46pm: Terrifying footage has emerged of the gunman livestreaming the shooting at the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave.

4:45pm: Air New Zealand has released a statement around travel to Christchurch.

"We are deeply saddened by the shooting tragedy in #Christchurch city and our thoughts go out to all those involved.

"We are offering flexibility to anyone booked to travel to or from Christchurch today."

4:25pm: People are warned to stay away from mosques around New Zealand until further notice.

Footage has also emerged of a man being arrested near a crashed white SUV in Christchurch.
The moment Christchurch mass shooting suspect is arrested by police
00:24

A man is in police custody after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch today. Source: Supplied

4:15pm: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirms there are multiple locations involved in the Christchurch shootings and calls it "one of New Zealand's darkest days".
‘One of New Zealand’s darkest days’ – Jacinda Ardern condemns Christchurch mass shooting
01:53

The Prime Minister spoke in a press conference following the shooting at two Christchurch mosques this afternoon.

Ms Ardern says the incident is still "potentially unfolding" and warns people to stay safe while offering her condolences to victims and those effected by the tragedy.

"This violence has absolutely no place in New Zealand this is not who we are.

"This has occurred in a place where people should be safe and they weren't."

4:00pm: Latest update from police: There have been multiple fatalities, there is still an active shooter scenario playing out.

One person is in custody and there have been people killed in two mosques, one on Deans Ave and one in Linwood.

3:53pm: Security Analyst Paul Buchanan says he has seen the gunman's manifesto and the shooting is "clearly a case of a white supremacist".

He says the shooter would likely have had support in carrying out the attack.

3:49pm: There are unconfirmed reports at least nine people have been killed in the attack.

3:47pm: Another eyewitness has talked to 1 NEWS about the harrowing incident.

"The gunman came through the main entrance, everyone ran to the back doors to save themselves, people hid under cars and jumped the fence to escape.

"I hid at a house next to the mosque and the firing went on and on.

"I saw a guy reloading and changing a gun then start firing again."

3:40pm: Police in Auckland are sending officers to all mosques in the region as a precaution.

3:30pm: A Christchurch courier driver says he heard gunshots going off within the Linwood Mosque for 45 seconds to a minute before coming "within spitting distance" of another gunman "spraying bullets" outside.

This is a different mosque than the confirmed shooting at Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave.

1 NEWS is attempting to confirm the reports of this second incident.

3:26pm: 1 NEWS understands more than 30 people have been brought into the emergency department at Christchurch Hospital.

There were hundreds of people in the mosque at the time of the incident and one witness says he saw a man enter the mosque with an automatic rifle, who was shooting for 10-15 minutes.

The man was reportedly wearing a black helmet.

3:25pm: Latest update from St John: St John was notified of a firearms incident in Central Christchurch at 1.53pm Friday afternoon.

We have approximately 20 emergency ambulances and operational vehicles at scene providing support and will continue to update you as information comes to hand.
More victims, including children, arrive at hospital following Christchurch mosque shooting
00:38

Ambulances continue to arrive with the victims. Source: 1 NEWS

3:20pm: Leader of the National Party Simon Bridges has tweeted about the incident.

3:10pm: What we know so far:

At least one gunman opened fire at the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave around 1:40pm.

Witnesses heard multiple gunshots, some saying up to 100 and there are multiple casualties.

Much of Christchurch is on lockdown as police respond to an 'active shooter' situation.

2:58pm: Witness interview at the scene.
Witness of Christchurch mosque shooting saw many dead, injured
00:30

The man said he ran away from the shooter to a spot behind the mosque where he called police. Source: 1 NEWS

2:55pm: RNZ reports about 300 people were inside the Linwood mosque for afternoon prayers.

This is the second mosque where unconfirmed reports of a second shooting have emerged.

2:52pm: A witness told 1 NEWS they heard at least 20 shots at the mosque from what sounded like a semi-automatic firearm.

2:47pm: Footage at Christchurch Hospital shows multiple people arriving by ambulance on stretchers.

A man is reported to have entered the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave around an hour ago and opened fire.

2:45pm: Latest police update: "In response to a serious ongoing firearms incident in Christchurch all Christchurch schools have been placed into lockdown."

2:42pm: The Bangladesh cricket team were filmed escaping Hagley Park near the first mosque where a shooting has taken place.
Bangladesh cricket team escapes park after shooting in Christchurch
00:18

The team were in Hagley Park and have gone back to the Oval. Source: Twitter/Mohammad Isam

2:35pm: A message from an eyewitness to 1 NEWS says: "My husband was driving past he said he took three people to the hospital, one was a little girl all had been shot.

"He wanted to take more he said there was like a dozen people just lying on the road."

2:32pm: There are multiple reports on social media that their has been a shooting at a second mosque in Linwood.

Police are yet to confirm this.

2:31pm: Linwood Ave school is also now in lockdown.

2:30pm: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is being briefed on the unfolding situation and will address it shortly.

2:20pm: Witness at the scene Mohammed Nazir told 1 NEWS he saw three women shot and bleeding on the ground outside the mosque.

He rang police for help and climbed a wall to escape.

He had to run in terror in his socks leaving his shoes behind to get to safety.

2:18pm: Police urge anyone in central Christchurch to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111.

2:15pm: Armed police have been deployed to the area according to police, no reports on injuries at this stage.

2:05pm: Police are asking people to "please avoid the Deans Avenue area" saying they will give more information soon.

2:04pm: A witness told Stuff she heard 20 gunshots and saw three people lying on the ground near a mosque on Deans Ave.

2:00pm: Three Schools around Hagley Park including Girls High and Christ’s College are in lockdown.

‘It was mayhem’ – 1 NEWS reporter describes the scene of fatal mosque shooting in Christchurch
Current Time 4:34
/
Duration 4:43

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 3 Black Churches Have Burned in 10 Days in a Single Louisiana Parish
« Reply #378 on: April 06, 2019, 06:44:59 AM »
Arsonist on the Loose!

Remind you of anything?

RE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/05/us/louisiana-black-church-fires.html

3 Black Churches Have Burned in 10 Days in a Single Louisiana Parish

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Opelousas, La., one of three historically black churches that have recently burned in St. Landry Parish Credit: Leslie Westbrook/The Advocate, via Associated Press

By Richard Fausset

April 5, 2019

ATLANTA — Three historically black churches have burned in less than two weeks in one south Louisiana parish, where officials said they had found “suspicious elements” in each case. The officials have not ruled out the possibility of arson, or the possibility that the fires are related.

“There is clearly something happening in this community,” State Fire Marshal H. Browning said in a statement on Thursday. “That is why it is imperative that the citizens of this community be part of our effort to figure out what it is.”

The three fires occurred on March 26, Tuesday and Thursday in St. Landry Parish, north of Lafayette. A fourth fire, a small blaze that officials said was “intentionally set,” was reported on Sunday at a predominantly black church in Caddo Parish, about a three-hour drive north.

“But just as we haven’t connected the three in St. Landry, we haven’t connected the one in Caddo,” said Ashley Rodrigue, a spokeswoman for the Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal, on Friday.

Local officials said that they were still investigating the fires, and did not say if they knew of any suspects, a motive, or whether racism was an element.

“There certainly is a commonality, and whether that leads to a person or persons or groups, we just don’t know,” Mr. Browning said at a news conference on Thursday.

The F.B.I. and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are involved in the investigation, said Jeff Nowakowski, a spokesman for the A.T.F.’s New Orleans field division.

The Rev. Gerald Toussaint, pastor at Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Opelousas, La., was driving to work on Thursday morning at around 4:45 a.m. when his wife called him to say she had seen on social media that their church was ablaze.

Mr. Toussaint was aware of the two other fires that had been set at nearby houses of worship, St. Mary Baptist Church in Port Barre, and Greater Union Baptist Church in Opelousas. He rushed to the scene.

The church, which was founded in the 19th century, had undergone extensive remodeling two years ago. Now it is nearly gone, he said, except for a brick wall and corridor in the front.

“I’m trying to find out who did it, why they did it, did it have anything to do with me,” said Mr. Toussaint, who drives trucks for a living. “I don’t know none of this.”

He also said he did not want to speculate, for fear of angering potential arsonists, or prompting copycat crimes.

St. Landry Parish is a rural area studded with crawfish ponds and bayous in the heart of Cajun and Creole country. It is 56 percent white and 41 percent black. Mr. Toussaint said that relations were generally good between black and white residents.

Since the 1950s, black churches across the South have been the targets of numerous racist attacks, from arson to bombing to armed assault. In 2015, a white supremacist shot and killed nine people at a Bible study at an African-American church in Charleston, S.C.

In 2006, a string of arsons at Alabama churches, some predominantly white, some predominantly black, proved to be the work of three college students that officials characterized as a “joke” that had spun out of control.

Last month, a black member of a predominantly black congregation, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church in Greenville, Miss., pleaded guilty to burning his church. The church was spray-painted with the words “Vote Trump” in an effort to make the attack seem politically motivated, a Mississippi official said.

At the news conference Thursday, Sheriff Bobby Guidroz of St. Landry Parish said that law enforcement officials would do “whatever it takes” to protect churches and churchgoers.

“We’re doing everything we can, collectively, to solve this crime,” he said.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔫 Shooting at Poway synagogue leaves one dead, three injured
« Reply #379 on: April 28, 2019, 12:44:12 AM »
https://www.10news.com/multiple-people-gunned-down-at-poway-synagogue-police-search-for-shooter

Shooting at Poway synagogue leaves one dead, three injured
NewsLocal News

Posted: 12:11 PM, Apr 27, 2019
Updated: 6:22 PM, Apr 27, 2019
By: Mario Sevilla

Chabad of Poway was honoring Passover.
poway chabad shooting
Spring Valley driver victim of possible car-to-car shooting
poway chabad shooting
Neighborhood shut down and taped off after a man was detained for questioning regarding the Chabad Community Center shooting.
Shooting at Poway synagogue leaves at least two injured

POWAY, Calif. (KGTV) -- San Diego County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a shooting at a synagogue that left one person dead in Poway on Saturday afternoon.

Poway Mayor Steve Vaus confirmed one person was killed in the shooting. A friend and witness to the shooting identified the victim as Lori Kaye, 60.

The incident was reported at the Chabad of Poway located at 16934 Chabad Way sometime before 11:30 a.m., San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said.

RELATED: What to know about Poway synagogue shooting suspect John Earnest

The suspect, who multiple sources identified as 19-year-old John Earnest, was arrested, Gore said.

One witness told 10News that he heard three shots then dropped to the floor for cover. He said he heard a total of 15 shots and that the shooting lasted between 20-30 seconds.

Gore said the gunman used an AR-type assault weapon.

An off-duty Border Patrol agent was inside the synagogue during the shooting. The agent followed the suspect when he tried to flee the scene and opened fire, hitting the gunman's vehicle.

RELATED: Interactive Map: Poway synagogue shooting

It's unknown how many people were inside the synagogue at the time of the shooting.

At least three people were wounded in the shooting: one juvenile female and two adult males. All were transported to Palomar Hospital in Escondido and are in stable condition.

One of the victims, Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, suffered hand injuries and was expected to lose his index finger, a doctor said. A witness told 10News that despite his injuries, the rabbi was trying to calm worshippers and the gunman.

A canine officer en route to the scene overheard California Highway Patrol scanner traffic for the suspect who had called in to CHP to report the crime, Gore said.

RELATED: Lawmakers respond to deadly shooting at Poway synagogue

At Rancho Bernardo Road west of I-15, the officer saw the suspect, who jumped out of his car with his hands up, Gore said. There was a rifle on the front seat of the car, according to the sheriff.

Investigators surrounded the home of the teen's father in Rancho Penasquitos after the arrest.

Deputies, San Diego Police, and FBI agents remained at the synagogue to interview more than 100 witnesses.

The Family Assistance Center at Poway High, 15500 Espola Road, was designed as the meeting place for synagogue goers who got separated during the shooting. It closed Saturday afternoon.

The Sheriff's Department tweeted that eastbound Espola Road at Summerfield Lane and westbound Espola Road at Avenida Florencia would be closed through the morning of Sunday, April 28th.

Chabad of Poway was hosting its Passover Holiday Celebration which was scheduled to begin at 11 a.m., according to an event announcement. The celebration was to end at 7 p.m. with a final Passover meal.

Saturday's shooting comes six months after nearly a dozen people were shot and killed in a Pittsburgh synagogue. Robert Bowers is accused of gunning down a total of 18 worshippers, killing 11 of them, at the Tree of Life synagogue on October 27, 2018.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Apparently, Springtime is Shooter Season.

RE

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718852278/2-dead-and-4-injured-in-shooting-at-university-of-north-carolina-charlotte-campu

2 Dead And 4 Injured In Shooting At University Of North Carolina Charlotte Campus

April 30, 20198:43 PM ET

People gather across from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte after a shooting at the school on Tuesday.
Jason E. Miczek/AP

Richard Gonzales

Barbara Campbell

Updated at 11:58 p.m. ET

Two people died and another four were wounded, three critically, after a shooting at the University of North Carolina's Charlotte campus on Tuesday.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department announced in a tweet that the suspect it has in custody is Trystan Andrew Terrell, 22. Charges are pending.

Earlier, the department had signaled the end of the crisis with the announcement, "Scene secure. One in custody. No reason to believe anyone else involved. CMPD and UNCC going room by room on campus to identify any students, faculty or others who may be sheltering in place."

Campus Police Chief Jeff Baker said police were on the scene quickly enough to find and disarm the suspect in the same room where the shootings happened.

He said two people were found dead at the scene, and three other were hospitalized in critical condition, while the fourth person suffered less serious injuries.

It was not immediately known whether the victims are students, educators or staff.

The campus remained on lockdown for much of Tuesday afternoon and into the evening.

Catch up on the latest headlines and unique NPR stories, sent every weekday.
E-mail address

By subscribing, you agree to NPR's terms of use and privacy policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Earlier, tweets by the campus' Office of Emergency Management advised people to "Run, Hide, Fight. Secure yourself immediately" as "law enforcement is individually sweeping buildings on campus."

The shots were fired near the school's Kennedy building.

Student Laura Olmos told member station WFAE, "I got a call saying don't come back to campus because I was going to comeback to have dinner with my friends. I just went to the Target parking lot and started crying. ... Now we are one of those schools. It's so crazy."

Graduate student Ari Seal said he was in the gym when the alert came, and that lights were shut off, and students were told to huddle together in the center of the gym.

University Chancellor Philip Dubois released a statement, saying decisions are being made on how to handle the rest of the school term. "Among those unknowns is how we will navigate the remainder of the semester, including the final examination schedule and graduation," he said. "Examinations will be canceled through Sunday while we formulate a plan for the following week."

Dubois said counseling is being provided to students who were on campus during the shooting, and will be made available to the rest of the university on Wednesday.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Apparently, Springtime is Shooter Season.

RE

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/30/718852278/2-dead-and-4-injured-in-shooting-at-university-of-north-carolina-charlotte-campu

2 Dead And 4 Injured In Shooting At University Of North Carolina Charlotte Campus

April 30, 20198:43 PM ET

People gather across from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte after a shooting at the school on Tuesday.
Jason E. Miczek/AP

Richard Gonzales

Barbara Campbell

Updated at 11:58 p.m. ET

Two people died and another four were wounded, three critically, after a shooting at the University of North Carolina's Charlotte campus on Tuesday.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department announced in a tweet that the suspect it has in custody is Trystan Andrew Terrell, 22. Charges are pending.

Earlier, the department had signaled the end of the crisis with the announcement, "Scene secure. One in custody. No reason to believe anyone else involved. CMPD and UNCC going room by room on campus to identify any students, faculty or others who may be sheltering in place."

Campus Police Chief Jeff Baker said police were on the scene quickly enough to find and disarm the suspect in the same room where the shootings happened.

He said two people were found dead at the scene, and three other were hospitalized in critical condition, while the fourth person suffered less serious injuries.

It was not immediately known whether the victims are students, educators or staff.

The campus remained on lockdown for much of Tuesday afternoon and into the evening.

Catch up on the latest headlines and unique NPR stories, sent every weekday.
E-mail address

By subscribing, you agree to NPR's terms of use and privacy policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Earlier, tweets by the campus' Office of Emergency Management advised people to "Run, Hide, Fight. Secure yourself immediately" as "law enforcement is individually sweeping buildings on campus."

The shots were fired near the school's Kennedy building.

Student Laura Olmos told member station WFAE, "I got a call saying don't come back to campus because I was going to comeback to have dinner with my friends. I just went to the Target parking lot and started crying. ... Now we are one of those schools. It's so crazy."

Graduate student Ari Seal said he was in the gym when the alert came, and that lights were shut off, and students were told to huddle together in the center of the gym.

University Chancellor Philip Dubois released a statement, saying decisions are being made on how to handle the rest of the school term. "Among those unknowns is how we will navigate the remainder of the semester, including the final examination schedule and graduation," he said. "Examinations will be canceled through Sunday while we formulate a plan for the following week."

Dubois said counseling is being provided to students who were on campus during the shooting, and will be made available to the rest of the university on Wednesday.

Weird one. Dropout from UNC. He wasn't even currently enrolled.....Otherwise a complete unknown, as far as motivation. As they were dragging him away, he is said to have remarked something along the lines of..... "I just went into a classroom and shot some people."

Not an attractive individual, from his photos. Another lonely loser spending too much time on 8chan?

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Another lonely loser spending too much time on 8chan?

Seems there is "another lonely loser" born every minute these days.

Perhaps we should address the issue of WHY there are so many "lonely losers"?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Another Day Another Shooter
« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2019, 02:11:37 AM »
Tell me again how our gun laws here in Oz are so bad...
There is always troubled people. Can be either through stupidity,  sickness or drugs, or in the case of vets, usually PTSD.
We have a culture here of guns for enthusiasts. (Like me). Seems to work pretty well. Have to jump through a few hoops to own firearms, but nothing too onerous, unless you want semi-automatics or hand guns...
The price we pay to not have mass shootings, or even worse getting shot by mistake from a trigger happy cop because they are so on edge from the guns around them!

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spring Shooting Seasons continues...

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZWRgXTry-4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wZWRgXTry-4</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline edpell

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 07, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »
It helps winnow the herd. All good.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:03 PM »
It helps winnow the herd. All good.

And what selection mechanism does a bullet do?  The winnowing is random and thus can't possibly be good.  The only way it could ever do any good is if two school shooters arrive at the same time to do mayhem and wind up doing each other in before they can harm the innocent.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🏹 Shooters go to Primitive Weapons
« Reply #387 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:13 AM »
Obviously, we need to do background checks for buying a Crossbow now.

RE

3 dead in mysterious crossbow incident in the woods of Germany

By sarah hucal

BERLIN — May 13, 2019, 12:34 PM ET

PHOTO:A guesthouse is pictured at the river Ilz in Passau, Germany, May 13, 2019.

Matthias Schrader/AP
WATCH News headlines today: May 13, 2019

Three people were found dead from crossbow wounds in a hotel room near the southern German city of Passau, according to police.

Two other deaths, in the northern German state of Saxony, are possibly linked, police said Monday.

The revelations began on Saturday morning when an employee at a quiet inn on the river Ilz near the southern German town of Passau discovered the bodies of two women and one man after repeated knocks on the door of their hotel room failed to get a response, the Associated Press reported.

The bodies of a 53-year-old German man and two German women, aged 33 and 30 were discovered, according to Passau Police. The man and 33-year-old woman were found lying together in bed, while the younger woman was found lying on the floor.

Police are still investigating the relationship between the trio. The older man and woman lived in the Southern German state of Rhineland-Palatinate, while the younger woman had a residence in Wittingen in Northern Germany.
PHOTO: A forensic expert arrives, May 13, 2019, to a cordoned off house in Wittingen, Germany, where two bodies were found during an investigation into the deaths of three people killed by crossbow bolts. Christophe Gateau/dpa/AFP/Getty Images
A forensic expert arrives, May 13, 2019, to a cordoned off house in Wittingen, Germany, where two bodies were found during an investigation into the deaths of three people killed by crossbow bolts.
more +

(MORE: When a selfie goes too far: How Holocaust memorial sites around Europe combat social media disrespect)

Two of the weapons used in the killings were found on Saturday, while a third was found unused in a bag on Monday, according to police.
PHOTO:A guesthouse is pictured at the river Ilz in Passau, Germany, May 13, 2019. Matthias Schrader/AP
PHOTO:A guesthouse is pictured at the river 'Ilz' in Passau, Germany, May 13, 2019.

(MORE: ISIS militant who allegedly let girl die of thirst faces trial in landmark case)

“There is currently no indication of the possible participation of other persons” Passau police wrote in a statement released on Monday. Yet it unclear what exactly happened in the woodland inn.

The 30-year-old deceased woman had an apartment in the town of Wittingen in north Germany, police said Monday. They later announced an unexpected discovery: the corpses of two other women were found in her apartment.

“At the moment there are no details about their identities or how and when they died,” a spokesperson for the Gifthorn Police, who have taken over the investigation, told ABC News. Police and forensics teams are currently at the scene, he added, and further details will be released in the coming days after autopsies have taken place.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔪 Stabbing attack in Japan leaves 13 children injured
« Reply #388 on: May 29, 2019, 02:00:29 AM »
Schoolgirl Sashimi! The latest culinary delicacy from the Nipponese!  Now that all the fish is radioactive, the schoolgirls are the new rage.

Even without the assault rifles, the Japanese are outdoing the FSoA in Psychos.

Somebody inform Morris Berman.  According to him, Japan is a model society where everyone is so polite.  ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwyK08MhtOs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AwyK08MhtOs</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔫 Shooter in Surly-ville
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
https://www.wavy.com/sports/virginia-sports/potential-active-shooter-reported-at-vb-municipal-center/

Shooter at VB Municipal Center in custody; Multiple people shot, including officer
Virginia Sports
Posted: May 31, 2019 / 04:26 PM EDT   / Updated: May 31, 2019 / 06:12 PM EDT   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLwRWJRyTcY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uLwRWJRyTcY</a>

6:06 p.m. — The shooting suspect is dead, a Virginia Beach police source tells WAVY’s Jason Marks. Multiple victims are also feared dead after the shooting. Police are set to hold a press conference at 6:15 p.m. to provide updates.

Thank you to our law enforcement & other first responders in Virginia Beach for your heroic actions regarding today’s Active Shooter Incident. We are closely monitoring the situation and will provide any support you need. We are also praying for the victims and their families. https://t.co/bKpK9ECJQd
    — Justin Fairfax (@LGJustinFairfax) May 31, 2019

5:56 p.m. — Sentara has updated the number of patients in connection to the shooting to six. Five are at Sentara Virginia Beach and one patient at Sentara Princess Anne is being picked up by Nightingale for transfer to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

5:49 p.m. — WAVY’s Andy Fox reports several people are feared dead, according to a City Hall source. There’s been no official word on fatalities from police at this time.

5:46 p.m. — Virginia Beach sources tell WAVY’s Jason Marks that a police officer was shot, but is expected to be OK. The public works building (building 2) has been cleared, authorities say.

UPDATE: VB sources say police officer was shot but is okay. Building is now clear. I’m hearing several people dead and working to confirm number. @WAVY_News
    — Jason Marks (@jasonmarkswavy) May 31, 2019

5:38 p.m. — Police are searching the complex building by building, though one suspect has already been taken into custody. Four victims have been confirmed injured and have been taken to the hospital.

My heart is with all those injured & affected by today’s shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center. I’m so thankful for first responders & law enforcement for risking their lives to bring a suspect into custody. This is more proof Congress must act to prevent gun violence.
    — Representative Elaine Luria (@RepElaineLuria) May 31, 2019

Please keep all of our city employees, their families, and citizens who were at the municipal center this afternoon in your thoughts and prayers as the reports of an active shooter situation there are starting to be released.https://t.co/51stfhTsJB
    — Glenn R. Davis (@DelGlennDavis) May 31, 2019

https://twitter.com/BillDeSteph/status/1134576810182750208

5:25 p.m. — Sentara now says three patients have been taken to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital and one person was taken to Sentara Princess Anne.
Police gather at the scene.

WAVY’s Jason Marks says city sources told him at least one person is dead and at least six injured in the shooting. Police have yet to officially confirm those numbers.

Mayor Bobby Dyer is heading to the area and Virginia Beach Police Chief Jim Cervera is expected to give live updates soon.

5:24 p.m. — Governor Ralph Northam says his team is actively monitoring the situation.

5:14 p.m. — Sentara officials confirm one patient is at Sentara Princess Anne and another was taken to Virginia Beach General. Nightingale air ambulance is also at the scene. The FBI has joined Virginia Beach authorities to secure the scene.

4:51 p.m. Virginia Beach police say they believe there’s only one shooter, and that person has been taken into custody. They say multiple people have been injured. There’s no word on the extent of the victims’ injuries at this time, but WAVY’s Tamara Scott says crews were treating at least four victims. A Nightingale helicopter was landing at the scene at 5:05 p.m.

Public works @CityofVaBeach employee tells they were sitting at their desk on the 3rd floor when all of a sudden gunshots sounded. Said they saw woman in stairwell injured badly. @WAVY_News #757Alert pic.twitter.com/YUFCwf9pHh
    — Brett Hall (@BrettHNews) May 31, 2019

Still securing the building floor by floor and office by office. That from city manager Dave Hansen. @WAVY_News
    — Andy Fox (@AndyFoxWAVY) May 31, 2019

Nearby Sentara Princess Anne Hospital has been placed on lockdown in the meantime. Police are asking the public to avoid the area. Stay with WAVY for updates.

Employees coming out of the area of building 2 in droves. Many crying and holding each other @WAVY_News #757Alert pic.twitter.com/Z9bblHvBxc
    — Brett Hall (@BrettHNews) May 31, 2019

The latest as of 4:42 P.M. — City Manager Dave Hansen confirmed there is an active shooter situation at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center. He says the suspect hasn’t been apprehended, and he’s seen people coming out of the city’s public utilities department in need of medical treatment.

As WAVY’s Tamara Scott was reporting live, an injured person was being carried in the back of a car surrounding by police, heading toward an ambulance. Moments later, two other victims were being carried in the back of a pickup truck.
The shooting took place at the Municipal Center’s building 2.

I just got off the phone with Virginia beach city manager Dave Hansen. Confirms active shooter. “Not apprehended at this point. We’ve seen some people coming out of the public utilities department with medical treatment.” Hanson does not know how many are injured.”@AndyFoxWAVY
    — Andy Fox (@AndyFoxWAVY) May 31, 2019

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Authorities are responding to a possible active shooter situation at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center on Friday afternoon.

Tonya Pierce with Virginia Beach police says there’s is an active scene at building 2 at the center off of Nimmo Parkway.

An employee who works in the building told WAVY’s Tamara Scott that he and several other people were able to safely leave the building after reports of an active shooter. He says he found a woman inside a stairwell covered in blood.

Multiple police units have responded. The center is next to both the Virginia Police Department headquarters and the Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office, as well as several other government buildings.

There no other details at the moment, but WAVY’s Tamara Scott is at the scene. Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this breaking news.
Save As Many As You Can