AuthorTopic: That Thing Where Stupid People Don't Know How Stupid They Are  (Read 177 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
That Thing Where Stupid People Don't Know How Stupid They Are
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
I have an old friend who makes the stupidest FB posts you can imagine. They're so stupid I constantly hear about them from several different members of my family, even though I swore off FB a LONG time ago. All his friends, most of whom are liberal, are constantly giving him back a ration of shit in their comments, but he just keeps right on keeping on.

He's a vet, natch. And he (before he retired),  spent several years working as a southern real estate professional, a demographic group that Joe Bageant used to write about. Joe (as I recall) used to say it was a trade that attracted ignorant bigots, because it was an easy way for a stupid person to make lots of money, basically. (No disrespect to those in that field to whom that might not apply.)

But anyway, this guy, who is not really a bad  guy, is just an example I think of when I think of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

He accepts a lot of Faux News at face value, loves Trump, and makes my gentle prods at feminists, ethnic minorities, and persons of special gender seem pretty...well, gentle.

Social media has made the Dunning-Kruger Effect so obvious, hasn't it? I remember the old saw my father used to tell me:

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and let people know for sure."

But that isn't true anymore, is it? Now you can join in with a solid phalanx of people just as eaten up with dumb-ass as you are, and form a proud parade of ignorant-ass motherfuckers. It's a Brave New World...the age of Dunning-Kruger Pride.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E7NdrkKD8Vk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E7NdrkKD8Vk&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:09:42 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.