AuthorTopic: Post Doom Conversations with Michael Dowd  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Post Doom Conversations with Michael Dowd
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:06:47 AM »
I've done some cursory searches of the Diner and haven't found any mention of Michael Dowd's Post Doom Conversations. The earliest recordings are from four months ago so it is a relatively new project. I recognize a few names like Richard Heinberg, Carolyn Baker and Joanna Macy, though there are many more I have never heard of. I just listened to Richard Heinberg's interview this morning and I enjoyed it. It's all about the person's personal journey through learning about collapse and what, if anything, can be seen as a gift following acceptance of the rough times we are in for.

This may not be helpful for you more experienced Doomers (which is just about all of you) who have had plenty of time to process all this. However for relative newbies like me it offers some neat new perspectives. I'm curious about what you guys think of this.

https://postdoom.com/
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Post Doom Conversations with Michael Dowd
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
I've done some cursory searches of the Diner and haven't found any mention of Michael Dowd's Post Doom Conversations. The earliest recordings are from four months ago so it is a relatively new project. I recognize a few names like Richard Heinberg, Carolyn Baker and Joanna Macy, though there are many more I have never heard of. I just listened to Richard Heinberg's interview this morning and I enjoyed it. It's all about the person's personal journey through learning about collapse and what, if anything, can be seen as a gift following acceptance of the rough times we are in for.

This may not be helpful for you more experienced Doomers (which is just about all of you) who have had plenty of time to process all this. However for relative newbies like me it offers some neat new perspectives. I'm curious about what you guys think of this.

As far as my recollection goes, Michael Dowd has never been mentioned before here on the Diner before this thread.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:40:58 AM »

Thanks for bring that.  I had not seen this website.

The Conversations page has some stuff I want to listen to.  I know some of them.  Mainstream doom.  It had to happen. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:44:22 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »

As far as my recollection goes, Michael Dowd has never been mentioned before here on the Diner before this thread.

RE

Cool glad I found something new!

The Conversations page has some stuff I want to listen to.  I know some of them.  Mainstream doom.  It had to happen. 

You now get to brag that you were talking about doom before it was cool 8) A Doom Hipster so to speak.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
Michael Dowd wasn't on my radar.

But all of us here know, (or at least know about) Carolyn Baker, who was a close associate of Guy McPherson. Richard Heinberg is a famous Peak Oil guy that most doomers have heard of. Rupert Read you probably know about. He's a rising star in the Extinction Rebellion movement. I have real mixed feelings about them.

The idea of "Post-Doom" sounds reasonable to me. A pretty good description of how I view life-as-I know-it these days,

I reckon there's room for some Post-Doom spiritual and pastoral counseling.......but I never was that into Carolyn Baker, who borrows pretty heavily from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and her Five Stages of Grief.

I see the present as a time to re-examine all my preconceived notions....maybe separate the hype from the reality.  Figure out whether being "doom aware" really means doing anything differently. I think that's something every doomer has to decide for himself. There is a real tendency when someone first becomes aware of what's going on.....to try to cast blame on somebody, and then to try to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong.

While building a dooomstead and prepping and powering down to a low carbon lifestyle might make sense for some people, I doubt it will ever catch on.....until maybe it's forced upon us by a loss of energy supply and a loss of our means of support. It's good to educate yourself first. I don't think anybody should rush to big decisions based on a sudden realization that the end of Western Civilization is closing in on us, and that climate change is likely to be highly contributory.

When civilizations end, it often happens so slowly most people don't even realize it.  It happens in stages...sometimes catastrophic things suddenly happen......but it also happens in a gazillion smaller ways, and it might not affect a lot of people for quite a while.

Conversations among aware, sensible people who aren't fear-mongering...are very worthwhile. Thanks for the post.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:48:31 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »

Hmm...
Not my scene. Lots of really cozy well fed well read people very in touch with their feelings. Give me a good foul mouthed skinned knuckle dooer like C5 anyday...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:16:38 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
Michael Dowd wasn't on my radar.

But all of us here know, (or at least know about) Carolyn Baker, who was a close associate of Guy McPherson. Richard Heinberg is a famous Peak Oil guy that most doomers have heard of. Rupert Read you probably know about. He's a rising star in the Extinction Rebellion movement. I have real mixed feelings about them.

The idea of "Post-Doom" sounds reasonable to me. A pretty good description of how I view life-as-I know-it these days,

I reckon there's room for some Post-Doom spiritual and pastoral counseling.......but I never was that into Carolyn Baker, who borrows pretty heavily from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and her Five Stages of Grief.

I see the present as a time to re-examine all my preconceived notions....maybe separate the hype from the reality.  Figure out whether being "doom aware" really means doing anything differently. I think that's something every doomer has to decide for himself. There is a real tendency when someone first becomes aware of what's going on.....to try to cast blame on somebody, and then to try to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong.

While building a dooomstead and prepping and powering down to a low carbon lifestyle might make sense for some people, I doubt it will ever catch on.....until maybe it's forced upon us by a loss of energy supply and a loss of our means of support. It's good to educate yourself first. I don't think anybody should rush to big decisions based on a sudden realization that the end of Western Civilization is closing in on us, and that climate change is likely to be highly contributory.

When civilizations end, it often happens so slowly most people don't even realize it.  It happens in stages...sometimes catastrophic things suddenly happen......but it also happens in a gazillion smaller ways, and it might not affect a lot of people for quite a while.

Conversations among aware, sensible people who aren't fear-mongering...are very worthwhile. Thanks for the post.

I never knew Carolyn Baker worked with Guy McPherson. Interesting.

I do think about blame a lot, and it is interesting that there is no one group or person that is entirely responsible for getting us into this. In a way it's liberating, but also in the beginning of learning about collapse it is very frustrating. It feels good to point fingers, and this is what I worry will get worse as things continue to deteriorate. Where will the anger and fear be directed towards? I know minorities are a normal scapegoat. I guess we'll see.

I'm pumped that I found these interviews, I know I'm gonna learn a lot from them.

Hmm...
Not my scene. Lots of really cozy well fed well read people very in touch with their feelings. Give me a good foul mouthed skinned knuckle dooer like C5 anyday...

I love C5's writing. He doesn't beat around the bush and he's pretty funny too.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:16:09 AM »

I was not aware of it either.

Very nicely designed, glossy site. The "Featured Contributors & Upcoming Guests" listed include many names that have appeared here before, and others I'v never heard of. Not that that means much...

The "Resources" page offers audio and documentaries that might be of interest to those who have the time to sink into watching a more than hour long doc.

My overall impression is that this is a branding project. Well realized, too.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:05:22 AM »

Very nicely designed, glossy site. The "Featured Contributors & Upcoming Guests" listed include many names that have appeared here before, and others I'v never heard of. Not that that means much...

The "Resources" page offers audio and documentaries that might be of interest to those who have the time to sink into watching a more than hour long doc.

I was very surprised by how nice looking it is. Most doom sites and blogs are basic Wordpress or Blogger sites so this one caught me off guard.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
Yes the production value looks quite good. I assume there will be courses, seminars, workshops or a paywall of some sort soon to monetize.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »

I was very surprised by how nice looking it is. Most doom sites and blogs are basic Wordpress or Blogger sites so this one caught me off guard.

This one looks like the insides of RE's apartment.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »
Yes the production value looks quite good. I assume there will be courses, seminars, workshops or a paywall of some sort soon to monetize.

Bingo.

You guys are such a bunch of skeptics, lol.

Count me in on the skepticism.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

Bingo.

You guys are such a bunch of skeptics, lol.

Count me in on the skepticism.

Michael Dowd is an American Progressive Christian minister, author, and eco-theologian known as an advocate of Big History, religious naturalism, sustainability, climate activism, and the epic of evolution

Turns out Dowd and his wife live driving distance away from me.  On a piece of Shangri-La on Whidbey Island.

Reverend Michael Dowd returns to Whidbey

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:00pm

The Greening Congregations Collaborative will host national speaker, TedX presenter, talk show host, author, retired UCC pastor, and ecotheologian, The Rev. Michael Dowd at an event in Freeland this week.

Dowd will speak about how religion and science are not enemies but instead have the potential and the requirement to work together so that humanity will survive the 21st century, according to a recent news release. His talk is entitled: Faithful to the Future: Inspiration for Challenging Times.

The event is 7 p.m. Friday, Jan 13 at St. Augustine’s-in-the-Woods Episcopal Church, 5217 S Honeymoon Bay Road.

Dowd is returning to Whidbey Island after a seven-year absence. He and his wife, science writer Connie Barlow, travel the country speaking about how science and religion, working together, offer new hope for people to mitigate the human impact on Earth’s climate, seas and other species.

His talk will focus on how people can foster shared and effective action to protect the planet.

Greening Congregations Collaborative of Whidbey Island is made up of the following churches: St. Augustine’s-in the-Woods, St. Hubert Catholic, Langley United Methodist, Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Whidbey Island and Unity of Whidbey.

https://www.southwhidbeyrecord.com/life/reverend-michael-dowd-returns-to-whidbey/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:13:23 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
Don't they have a hot spring on Whidbey island?

When I transition to shamanhood I shall live near a hot spring too. Highly conducive to personal spiritual post-doom therapy of all kinds. ('m pretty sure).

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 06:30:56 PM »
Don't they have a hot spring on Whidbey island?

When I transition to shamanhood I shall live near a hot spring too. Highly conducive to personal spiritual post-doom therapy of all kinds. ('m pretty sure).

A hot spring? Not that I know of.

There is  a 'Doe Bay Hot Springs Resort' on Orcas Island but I don't know if it is natural.