AuthorTopic: Post Doom Conversations with Michael Dowd  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Post Doom Conversations with Michael Dowd
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »
I'm just confused....we planned a trip up there once that fell through. I suppose it was Orcas Island I was thinking of,. Been a while.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »
Just wanted to update for all you skeptics out there. There is no paywall and as far as I know Michael is still not charging for anything he makes. Maybe eventually, but he comes across to me as someone who actually just wants to help out. Him and his wife remind me of my grandparents, if my grandparents were doomers. Very well off, but instead of travelling around the world they are spreading the word about doom. To each their own I guess.

I still hold out that you guys may be right and he'll eventually charge for stuff, but a year in I see no prices in sight!
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 03:39:33 AM »
Just wanted to update for all you skeptics out there. There is no paywall and as far as I know Michael is still not charging for anything he makes. Maybe eventually, but he comes across to me as someone who actually just wants to help out. Him and his wife remind me of my grandparents, if my grandparents were doomers. Very well off, but instead of travelling around the world they are spreading the word about doom. To each their own I guess.

I still hold out that you guys may be right and he'll eventually charge for stuff, but a year in I see no prices in sight!
good to know. I've been busy building so no time for doom. You reach a point where you know it's coming you've made peace with it, plans for it, and you just have to start running your game plan. It is a good site of much higher quality then most between that and permies you are in good hands.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 04:56:52 AM »

good to know. I've been busy building so no time for doom. You reach a point where you know it's coming you've made peace with it, plans for it, and you just have to start running your game plan. It is a good site of much higher quality then most between that and permies you are in good hands.

That's a good place to be NF. I'm in the phase of learning as much as I can about adapting. I'm re-reading C5's writing. Also this summer I'm headed to a permaculture homestead here in Ontario to help out and learn as much as possible. I'm pumped to be immersed in it all. Keep on posting your house progress pics it's cool to see!

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 09:30:22 AM »

That's a good place to be NF. I'm in the phase of learning as much as I can about adapting. I'm re-reading C5's writing. Also this summer I'm headed to a permaculture homestead here in Ontario to help out and learn as much as possible. I'm pumped to be immersed in it all. Keep on posting your house progress pics it's cool to see!
sounds awesome cam. Where abouts in ontario? My two cents us wisdom is use it as a learning opportunity but watch out you dont end up spending all your energy building someone else's dream at the expense of your own. I only say that because it is a real risk in the volunteer world. I know from personal experience.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »

sounds awesome cam. Where abouts in ontario? My two cents us wisdom is use it as a learning opportunity but watch out you dont end up spending all your energy building someone else's dream at the expense of your own. I only say that because it is a real risk in the volunteer world. I know from personal experience.

Little bit further south in the Ottawa valley, small little township. The lady running it has been there for 22 years so I think she has done just about all the basic stuff she wanted to achieve. I think she's at the stage now where she wants to pass on her knowledge and experience and I am happy to soak it up. Thank you for the advice. I can see where it applies with regard to younger folks having people help them out on much less established homesteads. 

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
Nice. That is the kind of situation you want. The Outaouais is a beautiful area even the english part😆. I grew up north of Gatineau so I'm a little biased. Enjoy!

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 04:57:08 AM »
Oh I can guarantee I'll enjoy it! And I didn't know you were a frenchie, c'est intéressant mon ami  :exp-grin:

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 07:01:28 AM »
Yup half "pure laine" and half anglo